Mystic_Halo

Have holiday dragons give 'no interest'

This has to have been asked before, please let me know where to find it. I didn't see it while looking.

My question: Is it possible to have the holiday dragons give a 'no interest' instead of a 'refusal' when breeding outside of their breeding times?

This is for holiday x holiday crosses outside of their breeding times.

I understand that a previous refusal is still there when breeding holiday dragons during the holiday times.

Edited by Mystic_Halo

They refuse because there is no possibility of an egg at that time. During a holiday, TJ turns off all refusals so you can breed holiday-holiday as long as one of them is "in season".

no interest is more like "I have a headache, maybe later" but implies you could get eggs from them.

I think what the OP means is whether it's possible for a holiday dragon to just not feel like breeding an egg during its season. I don't know the answer to that as a definite, but I've never had it happen, even if a holiday has shown 'no interest' with the mate I chose for it all the rest of the year. Lo and behold, the holiday season comes, and they decide to have an egg.

This should probably be in 'Help' rather than 'Suggestions'.

No, it's a suggestion, not a question.

They want the Holidays to have no interest instead of outright refusal when it's OUTSIDE of the Holiday's breeding time.

No, it's a suggestion, not a question.

They want the Holidays to have no interest instead of outright refusal when it's OUTSIDE of the Holiday's breeding time.

My bad, then. The OP totally comes across as a question rather than a suggestion.

I don't understand the purpose of this, I'm afraid. You still get no egg. Refusals out of holiday season don't affect breeding in season, as refusals are turned off then. So what is gained here? And why do you want to breed two holidays outside their seasons anyway, when it is obvious that you won't get an egg?

If you breed two holidays out of season and they refuse, the refusal is still there during their holiday. Only new refusals are turned off, the old ones still remain.

If they had a 'no interest' instead, it would solve this problem.

Edited by Mystic_Halo

But what's the point of breeding two holiday dragons out of season anyway?

Sorry, but I just don't see this as a whole big problem that needs a fix.

Edited by purplehaze

It would seem many try breeding holiday dragons out of season, judging by the number of questions about it in the help section. I don't know what the point is exactly but I see no harm in this suggestion.

Yea it tends to happen a lot, people trying to breed Holidays out of season.

And the way old refusals are handled during holiday breeding is weird. A friend tried to breed a previous refused pair within the first 2 days of the Halloween season (common x holiday), and she couldn't. I had a pair that had previously refused, and tried to breed them two days before the season ended (common x holiday), and I could. So I told my friend, and she could breed her pair then too, even though earlier in the same season she couldn't.

So previous refusals *were* turned off, but it was done late into the breeding season and many people probably either didn't notice, or had already bred their dragons to other mates.

Simply having the old refusals turned off earlier (like the day before the breeding season starts) would solve this issue.

Cheers!

C4.

Out of season Holiday x Holiday crosses are usually accidental, but the Holiday x Regular dragon refusals happen, too. But once done, the refusal is still there during the dragons' holiday breeding schedule, at least for the early portion of that time. My thought is that a 'No Interest' would mean more dragons would be breedable during that time..

I find that I can move faster than my computer can load images. I scroll down the page to the mate I want to try with my dragon and click just as a set of images loads and bumps the link I just went for down the page. Now instead of clicking on the common mate I wanted with my holiday dragon, I've inadvertently crossed Holidays out of their season and they HATE that.

Was it my fault? Not really, it was the the way the page loaded with my browsing style. Did I mean to do it? No. Nevertheless it happened and now they despise each other with a passion.

Support for no interest out of season. It's not their season, they're not interested. The wording of the text is not as harsh a no as an outright refusal. Makes sense to me laugh.gif

Idk, I can sort of see people trying to breed them again and again in the hopes they may give an egg out of season...

Idk, I can sort of see people trying to breed them again and again in the hopes they may give an egg out of season...

and then the Help threads will be "will X and Y ever give me an egg instead of no interest?" lol

It's not that I'm against the idea, it's just that when different dragons have different rules, it confuses people more than it helps.

Edited by DragonLady86

I honestly support this, or a least, a holiday dragon-specific refusal, because I was terribly confused by the special refusal of Holiday dragons once.

Let me tell you a story. I have a Daydream that I breed with my '09 Valentine. I first bred them during Valentine season, and got valentine egg babies. Then some time later, I decided to breed them out of season. They refused. I was terrified. I was under the assumption that Refusals meant "These two dragons will never breed...EVER,' a correct assumption for every breed of dragon, except holidays.

But, I didn't know that. I was suddenly presented with the prospect that my pair would never breed again, despite having children before, a terrible prospect for a breeder of monogamous dragons. I thought it an error, to be honest. It had to be. Of course, after asking around, I found out they would breed only during Valentine season. I just would never get a daydream out of the pair (or at least it was incredibly unlikely). However, it would have been nice not to have gone through that.

Now consider that not everyone frequents the forums. They're probably people who have no idea that Holiday refusals can breed in season. What a nightmare for those planning lineages or just wanting babies. A special Holiday-specific refusal would have helped avoid that terror. Maybe something like "These dragons just aren't interested in each other. It's not the right season." OR "The dragons are out of season and refuse to go near each other." At least something that would suggest that the pair would still bred under the right conditions.

I find that I can move faster than my computer can load images. I scroll down the page to the mate I want to try with my dragon and click just as a set of images loads and bumps the link I just went for down the page. Now instead of clicking on the common mate I wanted with my holiday dragon, I've inadvertently crossed Holidays out of their season and they HATE that.

Was it my fault? Not really, it was the the way the page loaded with my browsing style. Did I mean to do it? No. Nevertheless it happened and now they despise each other with a passion.

Support for no interest out of season. It's not their season, they're not interested. The wording of the text is not as harsh a no as an outright refusal. Makes sense to me laugh.gif

I can say I've done this...accidentally bred two shadow walkers together instead of the silver I was aiming for >.<

What if we just made a whole new text in place of refusing or no interest that explained "These two dragons are incapable of breeding together this time of season"? It might help with people who breed holidays together in preparation to make sure they don't refuse during the holiday without knowing that refusals are turned off (even if it's frustratingly late into the season sometimes). Of course, I'd also like it if the help page explained somewhere that refusals are turned off during the holiday for holiday dragons. >.>

What if we just made a whole new text in place of refusing or no interest that explained "These two dragons are incapable of breeding together this time of season"? It might help with people who breed holidays together in preparation to make sure they don't refuse during the holiday without knowing that refusals are turned off (even if it's frustratingly late into the season sometimes). Of course, I'd also like it if the help page explained somewhere that refusals are turned off during the holiday for holiday dragons. >.>

That's the only solution I think makes sense... Way to go Socky !

So current holiday-specific alternative suggestions to the current refusal phrase ("The dragons refuse to even go near each other.") for Holiday dragons are:

The "No interest" phrase

"These dragons just aren't interested in each other. It's not the right season."

"The dragons are out of season and refuse to go near each other."

"These two dragons are incapable of breeding together this time of season."

I would agree to change the absolute refusal to any of these for holidays.

If GoNs were to be able to breed, such messages would be confusing.

If you try to breed a GoN to a Holiday (or a GoN to a GoN), it'd trigger the exact same reaction as Holiday x Holiday--It happens any time there's no possible results from a breeding pair, so it also triggers for frill x holiday or frill x frill. Telling people it's "not the right season" would thus be misleading, because in non-Holiday cases there's never a "right season."

Making the results non-permanent is probably fine, although in the case of GoN's and Frills (where they'd never breed successfully), allowing them to try again doesn't seem like the right behavior.

tl;dr: There's no holiday-specific behavior at work here, so any solution needs to keep the general case in mind.

If GoNs were to be able to breed, such messages would be confusing.

If you try to breed a GoN to a Holiday (or a GoN to a GoN), it'd trigger the exact same reaction as Holiday x Holiday--It happens any time there's no possible results from a breeding pair, so it also triggers for frill x holiday or frill x frill. Telling people it's "not the right season" would thus be misleading, because in non-Holiday cases there's never a "right season."

Making the results non-permanent is probably fine, although in the case of GoN's and Frills (where they'd never breed successfully), allowing them to try again doesn't seem like the right behavior.

tl;dr: There's no holiday-specific behavior at work here, so any solution needs to keep the general case in mind.

But that's thing! There is a Holiday-specific behavior at work here! Holidays are different in that only Holiday x [insert dragon] refusals CAN breed again, but only during that holiday's season. Of course, it wouldn't make sense to change the refusal response for all dragons, but this request is for changing the response for Holidays and Holidays alone.

So if you breed a Holiday x Holiday pair out of season or a Holiday x Non-Holiday pair who have refused out of season , you would get the special message, but if you bred a Non-Holiday x Non-Holiday, the message would stay the normal message, "The dragons refuse to go near each other."

Also, I was under the impression that GoNs couldn't breed anyway. Also, for discontinued dragons x Holiday crosses, the new holiday-specific message would still work, because as soon as the Holiday season rolled around, refusals are negated, and the pair would produce only holiday eggs.

This is how I've come to understand it.

Edited by Shokomon

No, I'm telling you: Unless you are inside that one week period where holidays can breed (which, if you are, then they won't refuse), the exact same code runs for breeding a holiday x holiday and frill x frill.

This thread isn't about "holiday x [insert dragon]" breeding--See the first post ("This is for holiday x holiday crosses outside of their breeding times.").

As for GoNs, see the rest of suggestions; there's a thread proposing making them breedable. One of the possibilities in that thread is GoNs breed like out-of-season holidays.