Luckyclaw

The Academy

Looking up at the impressive building that was The Academy, a ghost of a smile danced across Deja's lips. Walking up to the door he slowly pushed it open and hopped inside, full on grinning now as he walked over to a group of students outside what appeared to be a hatchery. Slipping past them Deja walked into the hatchery, his eyes widening as he trailed his hands along some of the eggs. Phoenixes were born from eggs so Deja knew all the basics on how to care for a hatch a dragon, how different could it be? Looking around Deja reviewed all the eggs, spinning around slowly, but something kept telling him to walk towards the back. Shrugging Deja followed the feeling until he came upon a dull purple egg.Picking it up Deja turned it over in his hands and stroked two silvery blue stripes that glimmered on the surface. It feels right. Deja though to himself as he stared absently into space. Hearing a slight scratching come from the egg Deja smiled, "Hurlo eggy." he whispered, bringing it up to his face. Making his way out of the hatchery Deja walked over to two older looking students with a clipboard, "Hi my name's Deja" Deja said, smiling, "And I would shake your hands but I am currently holding this lovely egg."

Edited by Raven301

Silmarwen mused as she listened to the sound of keys clinking against the stone floor. It almost sounded like a short musical piece with long pauses between notes. Gathering her thoughts, she realized how she had been lucky with her key. It would have been such an inconvenience to kneel down and pick it up, dusting the floor with her favorite dress in the process.

She watched as a strange lad nearby attempted to catch and pick up his key. How things went through him and how he went through things was quite a sight. Silmarwen wondered what she would do if she had such abilities. Upon hearing Cassie speak, Silmarwen turned away from the Wraith and back to her.

"Yes," she replied. She began to examine the dragon egg, admiring its deep purplish red color. The shell was slightly rough and little wisps of smoke rose from it. "I suppose that it is quite lovely." She was rather unsure if lovely was the right word for it. After all, the egg emanated a hellish aura. Fierce and ominous were more fitting descriptions in her opinion.

Silmarwen turned to look at Cassie's egg. "And I presume that the black egg you carry is your dragon companion. The egg is exquisite. It almost looks like an obsidian crystal."

Sin smiled politely and greeted the Phoenix, though she didn't know he was a phoenix at the time. Whenever she smiled, her fangs always showed through the slight gap between her lips which always gave away the fact that she was no human. Unlike many other races that seemed to b able to switch between forms, Sin had no such transformation magic. In fact, Azazels were magic less. "I'm Sin, and this human over here with the clipboard is Tatsuke. We're senior students here, and we're recording attendance, room numbers and which eggs were claimed. Soon though, we'll be moving on with the orientation." She figured that would be enough exposition to get the new student up to speed.

Meanwhile, Tatsuke checked off the Phoenix on the clipboard and recorded the code of the egg she had chosen. "Room number?" He asked formally, his thick accent still slathered all over his choice words. It was all that was left before they moved on, and you couldn't blame him for becoming slightly impatient.

Nodding at Sin Deja reviewed the room for a moment and then turned back to Tatsuke, "Room 60." Deja said chirpily as the key dropped into his hand. Hopping over to Luke. "Hullo, we're bunking together, hope you don't mind." Deja said reviewing the Telumnus, "My name is Deja, I'm a phoenix, and occasionally I might catch our room on fire."

((Short!))

"Wh...what?" Luke stuttered. He was lost for words when Deja came and declared they were roommates. Being the socially-awkward but friendly person he was, Luke just smiled weakly and said, "Umm...Ok..."

Luke thought about it for a minute and just realised that Deja had said that he may set the room on fire. A bit unnerved by this he laughed quietly but awkwardly and thought no more of it. He looked at the egg Deja was clutching and noticed it's striking resemblance to his egg.

"Oh... You have the same egg as me..." Luke said, "That's coincidental..." He laughed nervously a bit more and then decided to shut up.

"There is a beauty in everything." Cassie smiled, seeing the girl's doubtful look. "Hopefully this will be my companion – assuming I actually manage to hatch it!" Looking slightly rueful, Cassie glanced down at the egg. "Which I'm hoping will seem easier than it seems…"

"Obsidan? I see what you mean. Like the night." As one who spent a large proportion of her free time staring at the constellations, Cassie fully appreciated the beauty of the darkness of the night to contrast the objects that lay within it.

Having overheard the boy's conversation, Cassie turned back to Silmarwen. "It seems we are not the only ones sharing."

"Hey you're right!" Deja exclaimed happily, not noticing Luke's stutter.

"I wonder what breed they are." Deja thought aloud as he compared the two. The only noticeable difference was that the stripes on Deja's egg where a deeper blue color. "I never got your name, what is it?" Deja asked as he slipped off his coat and wrapped it around his egg, revealing his bright wings. Grinning Deja looked around to make sure no one was in the way before stretching out the wings of living fire. "Hmmmm, I hate keeping them cooped up." Deja said to Luke as he refolded the shimmery feathers along his back. "We should go talk to some of these others."

Edited by Raven301

Luke looked in amazement at Deja's wings. The wings of fire seemed to radiate warmth and passion instead of destruction. He did take a step back to avoid being burnt but stood properly again when he folded them away.

"I'm, uh, Luke." Luke replied. He held the egg closer to himself, "Sure, umm, let's go talk to the others..." He said awkwardly. Luke noticed that the stripes on Deja's egg were a deeper, darker blue. Ignoring the fact that the eggs were slightly warmer than normal, the stripes on the two eggs looked like different shades of water. They were mesmerising to a point. Luke then followed Deja to the others.

After recording the same room number as Luke next to Deja's name, Tatsuke tapped the clipboard and showed the list to Sin. Aside from a few students who had not yet arrived and may never arrive for whatever reason, the roster was almost entirely filled and checked off. It was time to get going.

Sin's volume suddenly boomed to catch everyone's attention. "All right everyone! We're going to continue on with the orientation! Pay attention now, and stay together so no one gets lost. Any stragglers will be picked off by the janitor and sold to the circus." The last line was probably a joke added for humor. Probably. But no one had the time to ask if that was the case or not, since she turned to lead the group of students through the hall so they could see where their classes would be located.

~

First, the students backtracked across the foyer. Sin's lecture started as they turned into the mysterious hallway Tatsuke had vanished down earlier.

"This is a hallway, in case anyone didn't know. We use them to get around the school because most people can't walk through walls and people don't take kindly to having walls knocked down. Especially not the janitor. They are for walking in, not flying, running, somersaulting, hand-walking, or moon-walking in. But I know no one listens to those rules unless they particularly feel like busting their friend's chops that day. Also, anyone caught making out in the hallways will have confetti dumped on them by an irate janitor, then get yelled at for making a mess." It was hard to tell what was Sin's rambling and what was an actual warning at times. The diligent best take all of it as a warning while the troublemakers usually lumped all of it into rambling. But usually the ones with common sense took it as both.

"But the four ground hallways are special ones, because they hold most of the classes," Sin pointed to each class down the hallway they happened to be walking down, calling out the various classes they held. "That's the science room, it has a lot of testing. That over there is the language room, you have to watch your language times two there. Then you have the Culture Studies room, and at the end of the hall is the Literature room, but making a remark about that place would seem a little... wordy."

They turned a corner. Sin quickly thought to herself how convenient it would be to have a map to just give out to students. "That's the alchemy and forging room, alchemy for people talented in the arcane and forging for those who prefer to pay the iron price. Followed by World History, which is an entire class of exposition. But its teacher is fun to watch so it's never boring. Second to last is the Medical room, where you learn to do first aid and what local herbs can be used as medicine. Then the last official 'classroom' is magic." She crossly mumbled something that was probably nasty about the concept of a class devoted to magic skills. Anyone who knew what an Azazel was would probably understand right away she was most likely cross because Azels were magic-retardant and she probably wasn't allowed to step one foot inside that room in case she eliminated all the magic spells the students had been working on by bumping into something important.

The next hallway they turned into was shorter than the other two by about half. A wall with two doors was at the end of this hallway. "Here you'll find the nurse's office, which is also the counselor's room during the day. Weird I know. Then you have the teacher's lounge, a janitor's closet- I hope no one got lost, else you might hear their screams slowly fading away into it right about now- and finally," they reached the end of the hall, and Sin opened up the right door. Once the students were all inside, it was obvious that this was the mess hall. It was a large room with the serving line going along the left side and round tables scattered throughout. The left door obviously lead to the place where the food was prepared. "Cooking class is obviously held here... well, it's less of a class and more of a 'three unlucky students plus volunteers chosen to cook food for the next half-week' thing."

There was a checkerboard on one of the tables in the far corner, the pieces still arranged as if they had recently been played.

Once they reached the end of the Cafeteria, Sin opened another door similar to the door they had gone through to get in. They were back where they started, at the Hatchery. "I'm sure you all know where we are now. The Headmaster assigns chores to students every week, so sometimes we'll get assigned to take care of the dragon eggs. It's usually as boring as watching paint dry, since they're not a very lively bunch, but someone has to make sure that... I don't know, they don't spontaneously combust? 'Haven't quite figured that one out yet..."

Then with a few more steps, they were back at the foyer. Upon closer inspection, the foyer had two doors leading outside, the front door, and the back door which lead to the courtyard. Two staircases were beside the door that lead outside, which both intersected a ways up and turned into one set of stairs. "That's the tour of the first floor. I'm not sure if anyone notice in the excitement, but the stairs are right at the sides of the door that leads to the courtyard. Usually, combat, astronomy and gym all meet out in the courtyard unless the weather sucks. Then we just meet in the foyer and run laps. Except astronomy, of course! When the weather sucks, you guys get to look at charts in the history room. But you always meet here first. Capicé?"

She started up the stairs, "Now come on, we've gotta get to the auditorium."

~

"The second floor is all student rooms, except room 50 which is the auditorium," Sin announced as they walked down the second floor. Each hallway held about 25 rooms, before turning to the next set of 25. Sin cleared her throat and swallowed because her mouth was getting dry from all the talking. They collectively entered the auditorium. If anyone had noticed that the Academy had once been a castle, they would realize right off the bat that this had been the throne room. It was huge, and a stage was risen off the ground at the very end of the room. Where a throne had once been, there was now a podium. Seats had been arranged to face the stage, and there were at least seven hundred individual seats. Perhaps the seats had been placed at the end of the war, before a few final races lost their last hundred members and no longer needed representation...

"Music is held here. Oh! And the third floor! I forgot to mention that the third floor is entirely reserved for teachers and is off limits to students."

Sin's voice faded as a mysterious voice took over what she was saying mid-sentence, as if it had known exactly what she was going to say. The black figure whom the voice belonged to was standing at the podium. It was of an unidentifiable race, but of a humanoid figure. It was covered head to toe in sleek black skin that almost seemed like a beetle carapace, and its legs were shaped like the hindquarters of most beasts. A thick reptilian tail swayed weightlessly in the air behind it, seemingly unhindered by the texture of the shell-like skin. Its limbs were skinny, almost seeming too skinny to support such a thick tail, a strong body and a large cranium. Its head was almost oval-shaped, sporting a large space for a brain and a snout like some sort of cat. Its large, almost like a bat's but also like a cat's, were aimed upright, white inner ears like dinner plates. But they were nothing compared to its large, oval, pupil-less, milk-white eyes. They seemed almost insectoid, but at the same time almost swirling with some kind of unknown force. The air that came from it seemed thick with power, and the magic in the air seemed to be drawn toward it like a stream downhill.

Whatever it was, it was either something very good or very, very bad.

"Sit, please." It did not speak with telekinetic power, instead its mouth opened to speak, revealing a white tongue and white needles that could barely quality as teeth. "I am Headmaster Kaio, I will be presiding over this school for the extend of your time here." He gave the students a chance to sit down. His eyes were unblinking but his ears slowly flattened. "...I am sure we are all aware of why this school is here. I am positive that we all know of the dark cloud we, as living beings, have recently walked out of. Some, despite still being young beings, were old enough to witness the dark days. No one was untouched. But what I ask you today... why are you here?" He paused, his head occasionally tilted side to side as if his vision was swapping to each student in the audience but it was hard to tell as he had no pupils. "I am also positive of another thing. No one exactly knows why they are here. We say it is because someone told us to... others think it is simply because the Academy 'gives away free stuff'. Some of us believe that it is because we need to grow and learn. Is that true? ...That is something I do not have the answer to. Something I doubt any of us have the answer to yet."

He flicked his hand, which only now was visible to the students. It had three underdeveloped paw-like fingers. They didn't look like they could hold anything. But his ears flipped up, and suddenly Tatsuke's clipboard was floating through the air towards the headmaster. He examined it thoroughly, nodding once he was done and commanding the clipboard to lace itself gently on the podium in front of him. "We will have meetings every Sunday to assign chores and discuss the state of the school. Students must be here by 10:00 AM on that day or they will not get lunch. After school and only after school are students allowed to visit the local town. Failure to do so will result in the same punishment. Sin already explained the rules of the hallway, and do not seek a loophole in those rules." He seemed seriously adamant about that for some reason. "If rules are deliberately not followed, and a student is found intentionally making trouble by skipping classes, vandalizing or aggressively engaging other students and teachers on multiple occasions, the penalty is being separated from their dragon and put into detention." He said his words clearly to emphasize that this wasn't something that would be done lightly, it would only happen if it was a persistent problem. "Curfew is at 9:00 PM every night. Failure to be upstairs by this time will result in the student being locked downstairs all night."

Kaio continued to explain various rules of common sense. Mostly things like 'If it keeps people up at night, you shouldn't be doing it at an ungodly hour of the morning' 'Don't do things that hurt others, like beating your dragons with pixie dust or stabbing people' 'Gravity exists, so don't lean over the top of the building because gravity does NOT think you're king of the world' and 'if you have to stop and ask yourself if it's allowed on school grounds, it probably isn't'.

Really can be summed up into 'Don't be a jerk or a moron'.

We resume the important stuff with him reading off a list suspended in front of him, "...The following classes are optional and you do not have to attend them unless you wish to," He cleared his throat, "Music, magic, language, astronomy, and forging/alchemy. Cooking is a class you do not have to attend unless you are specifically chosen to attend it, though if you wish to volunteer you are always welcome in the kitchen at the allotted time."

"For this week, the seniors will be doing chores. But at the same time, we expect the new students to listen to them and assist them when asked to so that they may learn."

"...And that concludes our orientation. The time is now 8:00. You are free to meet and greet the various teachers of the school and introduce yourselves to each other, or go to bed early if you so desire. Snacks have been placed at the sides of the auditorium for those who are hungry. Dismissed."

The present teachers had filed in some time during the speech. There was a four-armed white-skinned demon of some sort, an older human male, a two-headed dragon man...

But more importantly, there was food! Cheese and those little hot dogs in the buns, and pickles, and salami, and chocolate, and pineapples...

Edited by Luckyclaw

"I worked for the circus once." Deja said as they followed Sin, "The contract lasted for six months but on my second day I caught the main tent on fire and the circus went out of business, shame really." As they went down the hallways Deja laughed and leaned over to James again, "First chance I get I'm making out with someone, just for the confetti." Grinning Deja hugged his egg closer as he heard more scratching from inside it. As they turned a corner Deja leapt up and lightly tapped the ceiling "World history, why do we need to know history? We should live here and now instead of in the past." As they walked into the mess hall Deja inhaled appreciatively, "Mmmmm that smells good." Deja said to James as they looped back around to the hatchery, "If they do combust, how am I expected to put them out? Hmmm? I'd make it worse!" Astronomy. Deja thought to himself a bit dreamily as they went up the stairs. Deja loved stars and the moon and star gazing and flying so high you can barely breathe just to get a better look. "Entirely reserved for teachers, interesting." Deja commented as they walked into the auditorium. As the headmaster took over Deja suddenly found himself shocked into silence, despite the fact that he had been babbling throughout the rest of the tour. As they were released Deja turned to Luke, "Well that was certainly interesting." he said looking at the other students, "Still want to talk to someone?"

The students were regrouped and selecting their rooms, the spoken numbers quickly jotted down by Tatsuke beside each respective name. Felic remained to the side and out of everyone's way, eventually falling to the back as Sin began the tour to help make sure no one got lost or left behind. With the mass of mingling emotions, the Empath was fairing well enough; the back of his mind simply buzzed with the excitement that each of the new students felt. To help counter it, he searched for Sorge's steady calm. Though practice had certainly saw him improved, the action of isolating one emotion out of many was still a somewhat sluggish endeavor. Nevertheless, he succeeded.

"I hear Sin and footsteps. Is the tour underway?"

Felic could feel her calmness ebb slightly, an indication that she was moving farther from the group of students. A precaution to avoid Tatsuke and keep him from having another panic attack. "Yes. I want to say it's about time but, then I would just be rude. I took sometime in finding and selecting you so, I'm not in the position to bemoan the slowness of everyone else's selections." Laughter through telepathy was a rather strange experience. Telepathy didn't exactly express itself in way of sounds as if physically spoken. It presented itself in more of a sensual way that represented sounds or would be translated to sounds by the receiver's mind. Nevertheless, Felic recognized Sorge's chuckle and purring which prompted him to smile. "What is it?"

"Nothing to worry about, Sola. Just the memory and your correctly assumed stance in the present matter. I plan to eat now and then head to our room for rest. I will see you when you are done with the new students."

He sent her a sense of content and he knew she was then on her way to the cafeteria as the students moved to the auditorium. There, he remained in the back, smirking as Sin was interrupted by Kaio when he decided to take over. To his left, Soria sat down. Duordin was likewise gone, probably joining Sorge for a meal or off bothering Mitch like an overly attached puppy. The idea made the Empath laugh faintly because he knew the Tri-Horn would be complaining to him or Soria about it later.

Finally, everything was done, leaving only the optional meet-n-greet for the new students. At this opportunity, Felic got up to first snatch a few slices of cheese before moving over to stand with Mr. Linole. "Are you and Miss Sin ready for the new year? You "seniors" will have more responsibilities this time than you did last year when you were all just a bunch of untrained whelps!" The aged man never changed.

"It's good to see you again too, Mr. Linole. How was your trip over the summer?" Felic finished off the bits of cheese he had gotten, looking around the auditorium. It seemed that Siloquy didn't come either. Understandable. Mr. Burung would end up sharing details about the new students he met or observed to Miss Sentra anyways.

"Rotten boy, you know that didn't answer my question...." Nonetheless, Mr. Linole had a smile on his face, mostly hidden by the messy white fuzz he called facial hair. "Miss Sin! Where's my other sparring partner? Did either of you tots keep up on the lessons you learned last year? I better not find out that you both slacked off and fell out of practice!" The man was certainly loud, probably drawing some attention from any students who happened to be nearby. "I've a bet with Burung this year and I don't want to lose!"

Choosing not to remind the old teacher that he hadn't answered the Empath's question, Felic decided to let Sin have her conversation with the man. At this point, he began to wander through the gathered crowd, taking count of which teachers showed and which had decided against it. Then he picked up on the lone sense of contempt that was separated from all of the excitement and curiosity. What stood out was that the source of contempt wasn't in the auditorium and the Empath wondered about it. Probably had to be one of the new students who hadn't arrived with the group; he didn't recognize the unique feeling that helped him to identify who was feeling what.

A light frown crossed his face and Felic made his way out the auditorium doors.

----

Claws scraped against the concrete, dislodging minuscule bits of stone and straining against the sharp bones. The Uccello dropped down to the next windowsill, briefly peering in through the transparent glass and seeing what he could make out in the gloom of the dark room. It appeared to be a bedroom, possessing a couple of beds and some dressers. Meh. Nothing interesting to spy on.

Moving on, Al'nivte continued his descent to the ground, leaping from one wall to the other and back again in a series of flips and twists until his taloned feet touched the thriving lawn. It had grown mostly dark, the sun putting up one last struggle against the darkness of nightfall as a sliver of fiery light just beyond the horizon. Despite the lack of light, Al's eyesight was still sharp, aided by the filtering glow of moonlight.

At the grand doors that marked the large building's entrance, the bipedal gryphon pressed a scarred hand against the cool surface of the door. With a little effort, the heavy door eased inward, allowing the male admittance to the school. A low whistle of approval escaped his lungs and he clicked his beak once in thought. Wonder where the party's being held...

"So you're the source...."

Al'nivte blinked all four of his eyes, turning his head a bit to view at who had spoken suddenly. "Source? And, if I was, what's it to ya?" The Uccello's speech was somewhat awkward, having to form words with a beak that couldn't fully move like a set of lips. The boy was about the same height as him and smelled human; he recognized the stench for sure. Scrawny looking too, like a toothpick and probably just as easy to snap. This thought enticed a bit of curiosity. Just how long would it take for him to snap the piece of pink flesh?

"Whatever you're thinking about, knock it off... I don't like that dark feeling." Was the boy sterner in his tone?

Al almost smirked at how the human's eyes had narrowed, as if he was supposed to be intimidated. Shrugging, the Uccello decided to try and humor the thing. "Fine. Consider my mind filled with only thoughts of pretty little flowers and dancing leprechauns." Now he smirked, knowing that the boy caught his sarcasm. "Now, do you have a name or should I just call you "flesh thing?" The Uccello was not an Empath but he could see that the greeter was not amused. This fact made the male smile through his hooked beak, his four eyes conveying the contemptuous expression much better.

"I'm Felic, one of your senior students here in the Academy. I'll help you through the process of getting settled into the school." Felic? What sort of name was that? Well, at least the syllables were a bit easier to pronounce.

Folding his arms across his chest as a mock gesture, the male tilted his head. "Okay, Ic boy. You can call me Al'nivte. If you can't get that right, then you're just pathetic but you can call me Al for short in any case. So, what's first?"

Either the boy wasn't so easily perturbed by the offhand "nickname" or he was just able to appear like he wasn't because Felic didn't seem to respond to anything other than the last bit of Al's words. "First, Al, you get to select your egg. Once you've found the one that feels right to you, then you select a bedroom b-"

"Seventeen. I chose room seve - hey!" Al'nivte rubbed the top of his beak, focusing his eyes on the offended ridge. Blinking quickly, he left his arm fall back to his side and fixed Felic with a glare as the boy seemed to be laughing at the Uccello. "What the censorkip.gif was that!" Looking down, he found a pair of gold keys on a thin ring sprawled on the ground beside his foot and bent to pick them up. Where the hell did those come from?

Felic was laughing at the male, albeit silently and behind his fist. "If you hadn't interrupted me, you would have known. Those are the keys to your bedroom, having appeared with magic when you called out the number you desired. Now," Recomposed once more, the Empath motioned towards the hatchery. "After you...."

Al'nivte rolled his eyes in response to Felic's words, starting for the hatchery. Upon entry, the Uccello paused to take in the sight. Never had he seen so many eggs! And dragon ones for that matter! His first instinct was to flick his ring blade about and slaughter the lot of them. However, he forced that instinct down and away. He wasn't here for the mass murder of unborn hatchlings; even he had some honor in staving away from that urge. Just to be sure, though, he briefly reached back to feel for the circular weapon that rested against his back, hooked in place by clasps located across the shoulders of his trench coat.

What was that? All previous thoughts were gone, replaced by the curiosity that rose as he swore that he felt... something. What was it? It was like some kind of... beckoning? Hesitantly, Al'nivte moved towards the far wall of the Hatchery, carefully stepping over small nest clusters that hugged individual islands for eggs. Of course, they were empty because, who in their right mind would settle fragile life on the floor to be crushed by any clumsy being? No, it was just extra nesting material for whenever it was needed.

At the wall, the Uccello looked down upon a number of eggs, delicately touching this egg and that egg with the tips of his claws until... Until when? "Go ahead and take your time. No need to feel rushed." Al'nivte jumped, suddenly reminded of Felic's presence and where in the world he was standing. With a glare over his shoulder towards the boy, the Uccello grumbled incoherently under his breath. After a moment, he turned all four eyes back to the eggs resting in front of him.

One egg with pink spots was shifted that way. An orange egg with brown blotches was shifted this way. Egg after egg was touched and moved faintly, yielding room to the sense of calling that pulled on Al. Finally, his claws touched the source. Dark blue with strips of yellow that looked like bolts of lightning. Was this the egg? Something welled up in Al's chest and he inhaled deeply, picking the egg up from its nest. "Found you, you little brat...."

"Good. Let's move on then. It's almost curfew and you don't want to be locked out of the second floor; you'll end up with chores on your first night here." Felic motioned for the Uccello to follow and they headed for the stairs, then towards the auditorium.

As Lorf walked around with the rest of the group, he was confused many times. moon-walking? whats that? he thought. Sin said so many things. How could a place exists with so many rules? He focused harder when they were shown the class rooms. Remembering their locations wouldn't be too hard, but all the side comments Sin made made it hard. Paying the iron price? That doesn't seem very expensive, but i thought this school was free he thought. Iron wasn't that expensive anyway, and he knew how to tell the difference in quality because merchants passed by his house often. So are we dealing with iron? he wondered. In the kitchen he looked around. Lorf was very confused by all this, but he found it strange that some people had been playing checkers recently. He had never played the game, but he had watched people play it, and it seemed strange. Perhaps he could learn to play here. And as for the headmaster, he was one of the strangest creatures Lorf had ever seen. At the end of the orientation Lorf's head was buzzing with all the new information. He took a moment to clear his head and then moved to the snacks. He looked around trying to find something edible like grasshopper or cockroach or gecko.

((code: flying raspberry sunday of doom. If you find this, send me the code and you will be rewarded. or you could just not do that, and remember that this is here for your own laughs))

Edited by na82008

Without waiting for Luke to answer Deja walked over to a red Shargonac, "Hello! My name is Deja, what's yours?" he asked cheerily, picking up a few of the crackers near by and popping them in his mouth. "I've never actually met a Shargonac." Deja commented without giving Lorf enough time to answer, "I haven't met much of anything really, only just been allowed to leave sanctuary, thats where young phoenixes live, I'm a phoenix by the way." Grinning Deja unwrapped his egg slightly, "I wonder when they will hatch." he thought aloud, running a finger along the egg's smooth surface, resulting in yet another fit of scratching noises.

Luke noticed straight away that Deja liked talking a lot. He kept chattering all throughout the tour. The only time he stopped his stream of vocabulary was when the headmaster started talking. Luke had never seen the sort of creature that the headmaster was and it made him uneasy for a while.

Deja asked several questions but he skipped over them before Luke found the answer. He wondered which unfortunate soul may be trapped by Deja's lips and be burnt by his wings if they were not careful. After the speech, Luke stood up, shoved a bit of food in his mouth and told Deja he was going to head to their room.

~

Luke arrived at room 60 and opened the door with the key he had. His belongings were transported there by means of magic an he found it pretty convenient. He looked frantically for the violin but calmed down when he saw it behind the bed. He plucked a few notes to make sure it was tuned and picked up his bow. Luke started to play Spring by Vivaldi and as he started to play, a flurry of green and blue escaped the strings. Tranquility and Learning... Luke thought. He understood which colour meant after jotting them down in a journal and memorising them. He still had the journal and he had brought it with him. Finishing the piece, he put the violin down and unpacked his things. He found his trusty sword, the Regallus and he left it standing on the side of his bed. He changed into his nightclothes and went to brush his teeth before falling in bed and reading Heroes of Fantasia.

Edited by Drakonspite

Lorf looked at Deja. It had been obvious that he was a phoenix, Lorf wasn't blind to a giant pair of fire wings. Not to mention the warmth that had filled the room when he did show his wings. "My names Lorf. I guess it sounds kinda plane now that iv heard all these other names" he said. Lorf picked up a small green thing he saw on a table. It looked like a small cucumber, but he wasn't shore. "Hey Deja, do you know what this thing is?" he asked. He put it in his mouth an chewed. It was sour, but it had a crunch like bugs. He wasn't sure if he liked it or not. It was the only thing on the tables that seemed edible. I can't get full on this. I need to go to town and find something i can eat Lorf thought. "Deja, do you wana take a quick trip to the town?" he asked the phoenix.

Edited by na82008

Cassie's mind was still spinning from the tour, but she slowly made her way to the room which she had chosen. As she pushed the key in the lock, Cassie gripped tightly on the egg, checking down to make sure that it was ok. Thanking her lucky stars, Cassie pulled open the door and entered the room. She'd made it a priority to get to her room, not stopping for any snacks or to talk to anyone who was there. She didn't want to get in trouble on her first day, and was eager to check out where she'd be sleeping.

As she walked into the room, Cassie was relieved to find that her suitcase had already been brought up. Picking it up, she laid it on the bed nearest to the window, placing the egg carefully next to it. She assumed that the chest of drawers next to the bed was the one next to her, and as she unzipped her suitcase, she began sorting out her fewr belongings into the drawers. The rest of her stuff would arrive at a later date, and Cassie only had a few pieces of clothing to last until then. But in the meticulous order that she was used too, Cassie neatly unpacked her belongings. Socks went here, dresses went here, the practical junk that her parent's had insisted she took over there…Cassie wrinkled her nose as she looked at the practical garments. She was slightly surprised to see that they were the uniform she would have worn had she joined the Strike Force, but as she dropped them into the bottom drawer, Cassie had no intention of ever wearing them.

While Cassie was absorbed in her organizing, she couldn't help but hear the tune of a violin drifting along the corridor. Picking up the tune, she began to hum along quietly to herself, and was disappointed when it stopped.

No, that just wouldn't do... "That wouldn't be a good idea, actually. By the time that you'd get to the nearby town, it would already be half an hour after curfew and you don't want to miss that," Soria interjected, standing beside Lorf and Deja. "My name's Soria, one of the seniors here. What are your guys' names and races? I'm, obviously, human but also a witch." The young woman smiled warmly, extending her hand out for them to shake. If they decided to take it.

"We have another set of tables offering stranger dishes if you aren't satisfied with these ones here. They're against the opposite wall. There's insects, raw meats, skins, weird looking plants and veggies... You name it, the cooks make it." Brushing a stray strand of purple-pink hair out of her face, Soria's expression changed to one of remembrance. "Oh! Before I forget! You can find a copy of the schedule in your bedroom on your pillows. You'll see the optional classes marked with a small symbol and the mandatory weekly meeting marked with three small symbols. The unmarked classes are not optional so you'll need to attend those. Unless something comes up and the Headmaster makes a change. But you'll know when Kaio does."

Lorf hadn't noticed the human standing next to them. "Maybe it would be, but there are ways out of nearly any situation" Lorf said. Not all of us are held down by walls he thought, slightly flexing his fingers that had small suction cups on them. "and what would i learn from heading over to that table? I didn't get a chance to stop in the town this morning, so i know what i will learn from going there. Well, anyway, my name is Lorf" he said. Then he suddenly realized it wouldn't be a good idea to tell someone what he was going to do, and then provide his name.

"My name is Deja!" Deja chirped up, "I'm a Phoenix and what if we have handy things called wings? Are there any force fields or anything guarding the building? That would hurt of you were flying at top speed and then, WHAM! You slammed into a force field, or invisible wall, or something magicy like that." Smiling slightly Deja grabbed a few other fruits off the table and slowly ate them one by one, "And these eggs, how long till they hatch? Mine's all scratchy, especially when I talk to it. Can the hatchling hear me inside the egg?"

Soria smirked, lightly placing a hand on her hip and shaking her head. "I wasn't telling you about the other table so you could learn something. You just looked like you weren't happy with the selection at this table!" She laughed briefly, letting it fade into a frown. "You'll have all afternoon tomorrow and the days following to visit the town as you please. Besides, every shop's closed up by this time and you don't know what you can learn by visiting. You could also end up disappointed. I'm warning you, Lorf, follow the rules as best you can. Punishments aren't pretty...." Her frown deepened and her eyes grew dark. Honestly, why did new students have to test the seriousness of everything?

Shaking her head once more, she tried a lighter tone. "You haven't told me what creature you are. I've never seen your race before and, unless you want me labeling you as an evolved lizard, sharing the name of your race could be beneficial." A bright smile.

Then Deja was speaking and the young witch turned her gaze to the male. "Nice to meet you! I didn't know phoenixes could shapeshift..." Stupefied, Soria briefly circled around the boy to examine him before smiling. "I don't know about any force fields but I do know that all the entrances and doorways leading outside and inside are locked up; same with the windows. The only things left open are the old window slots that archers would fire from while still being protected due to such narrow gaps in the stone."

Rubbing her chin to be rid of a faint itch, she thought for a moment on Deja's last question. "Your dragon will hatch when it's ready. Each dragon hatches at different times. Some take a day after being selected and others can take a few months. I'm certain they are aware of things happening outside of their eggs, so it's very likely that it can hear you."

"Yeah I just learned." Deja said as Soria circled him, "It's a bit weird actually, I keep hitting things because my wings are so much bigger. But hey whats the point of learning something new if it doesn't present a few challenges?" bouncing up and down on the balls of his feet, Deja smiled, "Good I don't like force fields, especially invisible ones. Once I was racing one of my brothers and we were really near the finish line, with me winning so of course I was in front, but then I slammed into basically nothing. That had hurt. But it was weird cause we flew all around the field and there was nothing inside, unless in was invisible, I bet it was invisible." Realizing he was off topic Deja quickly changed tracks, "I hope mine hatches sooner than later." Deja said while tapping the egg's shiny surface, "Here that? Come join the world."

all the doors and widows will be locked? Well, he should have expected that. Now that he knew, he could change that. While Deja and Soria talked, Lorf quietly moved away to the entrance of the auditorium. He headed over to his room quickly, and opened the door with his key. He looked on the window for a lock. Finding it, he switched it off and pulled open the window. His room was warm like he asked, and the outside was much colder in comparison. No matter, he would leave the window slightly open, it may get cooler in here, but he really wanted to check out the village tonight. Hopefully i can get back before she notices i left Lorf thought. He walked back to the auditorium and walked back in the door trying to remember where they were.

During the tour, Silmarwen was silent, walking with the rest of the students and paying attention to every word of Sin. She paused to take a good look at each classroom and only moved forward with the group when the last person in the crowd already stood right behind her. Being the venue for magic class, the last official classroom was of particular interest to her. She expected a bit of information from the guide but Sin spoke nothing else of it aside from what it was.

In the auditorium, Silmarwen continued to listen intently to Sin. When the headmaster finished her sentence, Silmarwen looked curiously in his direction, only to feel a pang of dread upon seeing his appearance for the first time. She had never seen the likes of him before. She had never seen the likes of most of the students before either though. But one must admit that the headmaster looked quite terrifying. Silmarwen attempted to erase her thoughts about his appearance from her mind as he began his introductory speech.

Upon learning that some classes were optional, Silmarwen decided that she would attend all anyway. After all, she was here to learn. Or was she, really? She remembered the words of the headmaster. Soon, the headmaster finished his speech and dismissed the students.

Students began to rise from their seats and started to talk to each other. Meanwhile, Silmarwen remained seated and watched the people around her. She spotted the phoenix speaking to a student. Fire elves held phoenixes in high regard. Silmarwen would have approached the phoenix but his liveliness was too overpowering for her. She wanted to make a good impression of herself. An introduction would have to wait, perhaps after some mental preparation.

Silmarwen stood up. She decided to head for her room, as she had things to unpack and the next day to prepare for. Looking around the auditorium once more, she failed to see Cassie and wondered if she was already in the room.

While walking in the hallway, she listened to a song and enjoyed it very much. Unfortunately, it was over too soon. As she walked the rest of the way to the room, only the very faint rustling of dress and her light footsteps were all she heard.

After the door unlocked, Silmarwen pushed it gently and slipped inside through the partial opening. "Hello there, Cassandra--Cassie," Silmarwen greeted with a smile, as she closed the door behind her. She went over to the vacant bed and gently set down the egg by the pillow. Then, she went to pick up her bags near the door.

Edited by Natevaelle

Luke finished five chapters before closing the book and placing it in his drawer. He say up straight and stretched. He must have been reading for an hour and Deja had still not come back. Luke noticed his violin was propped up against the wall so he packed in its case and shoved it under his bed.

Luke then realised after unceremoniously chucking his small teddy bear across the room for no reason, he had nothing else to do. He picked up his bear and hugged it tight to him. He noticed his egg was on the floor so he picked it up and set it down in front of him. "How are you?" He asked it. Even he thought it was silly talking to an egg but he had done it to his bear before so how much more weird could it get? Before he realised, Luke was having a lovely conversation to a shell with a baby dragon it. Of course, he did most of the talking but the egg shuffled slightly sometimes as if in response. He grew more find of the egg whilst talking to it.

"Hello." Cassie turned from her unpacking, sitting neatly down onto the bed. Keeping her back straight, she neatly folded her hands upon her lap formally. Then she realised that her parents weren't here – she didn't have to be on parade the whole time. Allowing herself to slouch a little, Cassie leaned back on her hands, turning to the girl in the door.

"Do you need any help with that?" By this point Cassie had finished unpacking, and the edge of her suitcase was poking slightly out from the edge of the bed. "Quite nice isn't it?" Not stopping for an answer, Cassie continued talking. "Is everyone else still downstairs? "

While she spoke, Cassie smoothed out her dress, her wings tucked closely in towards her back. Quickly looking out the window, she wondered how long that it would be before the second floor became locked up.

"Do you know who was playing the violin earlier? It was lovely."