Luckyclaw

The Academy

Autumn came to a halt outside the Academy, looking on in awe as she stood before the main entrance. Without a hint of trepidation, she pushed open the doors and entered, her ears swiveling back and forth as she listened for anything that might pose a threat as her eyes scanned the hall in search of her destination. As her gold eyes caught sight of a group of people around her age, they narrowed while a smile spread across her face before she quickly trotted off after them, rather interested in just where they were going.

Catching up to the back of the group, Autumn felt her tails begin to swish behind her, her curiosity beginning to show as she realized they had entered what had to be the hatchery. As she arrived, a person standing at the front of the group made an announcement which she barely caught by virtue of her enhanced hearing courtesy of her tall, snowy white fox ears. When the person at the front of the group, a woman Autumn realized, opened the door to the hatchery proper, she found herself almost drawn into the room.

Looking about between the rainbow of varied eggs, Autumn felt her gaze linger on a small white egg. Advancing, she carefully set her hands on the egg before lifting it into the air and tucking it against her chest. The sensation of the egg in her arms was...for lack of a better right. She couldn't decide just why, but it did. Turning around, she looked to the woman who had let them in, unsure of what she should do next.

Edited by jaina

[Yes, Felic is talking to Autumn at the end of his bit.]

Oh Tatsuke...

Just as soon as Luz came into sight, the mage's mental state was a flood of chaos. Like Tatsuke, the fear Felic picked up from the terrified student clutched his own heart. Relying on Sorge to help dilute the burst of fear was no use because of how far she sat away from them, behind Tatsuke no less. A faint gasp rushed passed Felic's lips, sounded as he inhaled deeply. A feeling of thick rope slithered around his chest, wrapping tightly and seeming almost strong enough to snap his ribs, making the idea of breathing slightly painful.

He wasn't a mind reader, he couldn't tell what Tatsuke's thoughts were exactly, but he felt the young man's struggle to contain himself, to combat his fear. Felic, likewise, tried to beat away the intruding emotions, stumbling towards Sorge as she moved forward to shield him. Worry was in her light blue eyes but worry was not what he needed and so she exuded calm. It was a bit easier to do, knowing that Felic wasn't going to be negatively affected for days or weeks. He should only be affected for some minutes, especially since Tatsuke had excused himself. This allowed Felic to better grasp his own emotions as the invading fear ebbed away.

Silently, in his nausea and spinning head, he chastised himself. He should be stronger than this, he shou - "You were caught unawares. Be kind to yourself." Right... Felic had to factor that bit in. Tatsuke was probably one of the few who possessed such sharp emotional swings when certain situations called upon the mage. No amount of practice or mental strength would stand against changes like that; he would always be caught off guard. He just needed to work on his reaction, his ability to reflexively bat away emotions that suddenly intruded on his own.

Gradually, the unwanted fear dissipated and he could solidly feel his own irritation towards himself. Additionally, a gentle touch of concern brushed the backside of his thoughts. A heartbeat passed and the feeling of cool scales met the heat of his cheek, prompting Felic to reach a hand up to touch Sorge's muzzle. "I'm alright now. I'm getting better, slowly, but it's definitely an improvement from last year..." Turning his gaze towards the other students, he noted that Sin had taken the reigns, capturing everyone else's attention and bringing them forward into the hatchery. When he was able to find her eyes, he smiled faintly and nodded in gratitude.

Quietly, the young man and his dragon moved up to the rear of the group just as a girl with white fox ears caught up. It was easy to know that she was coming, picking up on her excitement and interest while she was near the Academy's entrance. As she grabbed an egg, his eyes lowered to the tiles, remembering a similar feeling of rightness when he had found Sorge's egg. "You found yours quick..." He wasn't skeptical as he spoke, recomposed enough to walk towards the lately arrived female as the other students went in search of their future companions. "I trust you'll take great care of your companion?" Under that feeling of connection, he noticed her uncertainty. "If you're lost on what to do next, don't worry. As the other students find their eggs, you're free to strike up a conversation. You can also talk to any of us senior students. The Azazel at the door is Sin, the Vampire lurking at the edges is Dain, the musical witch is Soria, and I'm Felic, your resident Empath." Sorge had stayed outside of the hatchery, preferring not to overcrowd the room due to her long size and in fear of possibly causing an accident of any sort.

~~~~

Duordin was making his way towards Cassandra, his puppy-like attention caught by the glittering colors of her wings. Maybe he was more bird-like in this aspect, especially transfixed by the shiny gold of her feathers. Soria was beside him, keeping him in check from possibly jumping on the delicate looking Icari and driving her to the ground with inquisitive sniffs to find out who the winged girl was. However, when the dragon picked up on the sharp shouts of a certain tiny creature, his curiosity was piqued and he took off. Unfortunately for the young witch who had been leaning against him, she tumbled to the ground in light of his sudden departure.

"Wha - ? Duordin!" Hurrying to her feet, she chased after the energetic dragon, muttering under her breath about her luck at having such a child-like friend to care for. Of course, she didn't mind him being like a child; he was only a year old after all. However, it did make watching over him a very interesting challenge and more so due to his large size.

Now, what was running through Duordin's mind as he came upon the Littleputan named Timothy and the Snow Wright named James? Well, he was focused on the tiny fairy, most likely frightening the poor soul senseless. Skidding to a halt ungracefully, the green dragon quickly dropped to the ground and laid the side of his head on the tiles directly in front of Timothy for a better view. "Tiny thing!" His voice was rough and clearly something that rarely saw use. Behind him, his tail slid to and fro across the tiles, a humble show of his excited curiosity.

Shortly after Duordin's appearance, Soria came up to the two late arrivals, somewhat out of breath. "I'm so sorry! I'm still working on helping him to properly channel his excitement! I'm just glad he didn't run you... both, over!" She had to pause to see what her oversized companion was staring at, originally not having known that the fairy was there. "My name's Soria and this is Duordin. It's nice to meet you! The other new students are just picking out their eggs now so you haven't missed much other than some introductions."

As she held the egg in her arms, Autumn found herself narrowing her eyes in suspicion as a young man spoke up behind her. The direction of his voice told her he was speaking to her, but the content was what got her full attention. He identified himself as Felic and the other senior students about as Azazel, Soria, and Dain, each of whom she looked to as he named them, making sure to match a face to the name in her memory. Once she was certain that things were calming down as other students began to look for their eggs, Autumn decided to engage him in conversation.

"How much can you feel? Since you're an empath, you obviously can tell something about how we all feel," she asked calmly curiosity picking up as she dropped into a casual tone of voice. her own interest in his ability to pick up emotions and feelings from others was something she hadn't encountered before, except in her readings. "And how do you register another's feelings? Do you just sense the emotions as a sort of aura or is it more like a word comes to mind when you feel it?" she continued, tacking on more questions before Felic could even answer her first one.

Lorf followed the other students into the hallway. he turned around as he heard the door open. In fact, it opened twice. The first time a very small creature that he could fit in his mouth entered through the doors. He reminds me of a small lizard i once ate he thought. very soon after him a glowing green creature with grey hair walked through the door. Literally, through the solid door. Then a sliver haired fox humanoid entered through the door, preceded all the way down the hall, and choose an egg seemingly at random. Lorf then entered the Hatchery. There were eggs of many kinds. Lorf did not understand what Sin meant by feel which egg you have a connection with. It's not as if the Shargonacs feel no emotions, however he had never felt anything close to what was described. He looked at all the eggs. he might have chosen a red one, similar to the color of his scales, but they all reminded him of a disgusting food he had tried on his way to the academy. Strawberrys they were called. That didn't mean he wouldn't choose a red one, however that canceled out choosing one based on color. He decided he would pick whatever one no one else seemed to like, so he took a dark blue one near the end that was slightly smaller than most of the others. He held it in front of him. "I feel nothing different towards this egg as any of the others, so this one will do" he said to himself.

Edited by na82008

Just like Sin a year ago. Felic's smile remained as he chuckled softly, a contemplative glint entering his eyes. "Well, for starters, I could feel your suspicion as I walked up and now I know of your curiosity and interest. To answer your second question..." The dark haired student paused briefly, trying to figure out how best to word his response. "It's hard to properly describe. When I pick up on outside emotions, I actually feel them at the back of my mind. If they're strong enough, I can taste a flavor that's connected to a specific emotion from a specific person. Sometimes, that flavor might even be of a color; don't ask how, that's even harder to explain. Now, for example, if you felt something with so much passion or if you and a group of other students were feeling a very similar emotion, my present feelings could be overridden. It would influence me to feel the exact same emotion as you are feeling simply by overwhelming my mind."

Glancing over towards Lorf, he frowned slightly. "Lorf, stay there a moment, please? I want you to close your eyes and not focus on anything; just stand there and breathe slowly." The young female beside him might find his change of subject confusing. However, he was troubled by the reptilian boy's uncertainty about the process turning into indifference. "Selecting an egg to raise is not something to be done in an off-handed manner. It's an event in your life that will most likely occur just this once and it is rather important. This room is where you first begin your bonding experience, where you first meet the soul that is to become one of your closest friends in life. When you find the egg that specifically calls for you, your soul will know and so will the soul of the hatchling that waits to leave its egg." Were his words sappy? Maybe. But they were true and that's all he cared about.

Returning his eyes to the girl beside him, he briefly combed his fingers through his unruly hair. "How much I feel from others depends on how strong their emotions are and how physically close or far away they are to me. Lorf is confused about something, most likely about the process of finding his companion. Duordin, Soria's dragon, is near the main entrance of the school and very excited about one thing or another. It's probably connected to the two individuals near him who feel awe, urgency, and fearful curiosity. Then there's Cassandra, the girl with wings, who feels guarded in her uncertainty, a bit of hesitation towards the rest of us. I don't know why, I can't read minds, but I can make guesses be they wrong or right."

"Wow," James was short for words at the sight of the dragon, it was just like what he expected. Duordin was large and the scales reflected the light around him. James walked around Duordin, completely enthralled by the dragon.

He turned to Soria, "wow having a dragon companion, I'm so glad father sent me here".

James hurried down the corridor to the hatchery, he stepped backwards as he gazed at the room full of eggs. So much potential lay in each and every one of them. Several people, he noticed, had already chosen some. James closed his eyes, taking a deep breath. He opened them, his eyes lighting up on a medium sized egg that appeared something like sandstone. He walked over to it and stared, keenly at it. It was rather ordinary, he though. Compared to several eggs with bright exquisite patterns, this one was basic. It had a very dull colour, if he were to hold it high above his head in front of crowds, he would stand out more. He felt sorry for this egg, so basic, so bland. Why would any person choose it over the others? James hefted the egg, it was surprisingly light.

He spun happily, clutching the egg to his chest. He walked over to the one called Felic.

"You can sense other peoples emotions? Wow, that is very impressive. I never knew how there could be so many different traits in people, I'm James Fenn, 6th in line to the throne. Technically I should be 10th, but for some reason father doesn't consider my sisters to be more important, even though they're older then me," James stopped, he realised he had been babbling and he was sure he had been bothering Felic. He absentmindedly scratched the back of his head.

As Cassie strolled into the room, she felt excitement surge through her body. A pet. A friend. She wouldn't be lonely anymore, and would always have someone to talk too. At least she hoped so. But then she might harm her dragon. Was she really responsible enough for a dragon? What if the dragon didn't get along with her family? The shiver of nerves gave her excitement a sharp edge, and for a second she was caught in the indecision. Looking down again, she made sure that her ring still lay on her finger, reassuring her that it was going to be fine. Well, she was here now anyway, so she had to go through with it. She was Cassandra Sunsoar, heir to the Icari throne, and she was not going to let any stupid nerves stand in her way of anything. She could do this, and she would. But yet she still didn't take another step into the room.

Turning around, Cassie looked at the many dragon eggs that covered the room. Some were prettier than others, some beautifully shiny and iridescent, and Cassie knew that she would look beautiful flying alongside one. Wait…what if she got a dragon that couldn't fly? She'd sort that out when it came to it, she decided. But none of the eggs she could see left her with any more than basic opinions on them. The special bond that they had spoken of – how would she know? What if she had already brushed past the egg that she was supposed to have?

Taking further steps into the room, Cassie surveyed it quietly, turning round and around to see all the eggs that were on display. On impulse, she reached down to grab her suitcase handle for comfort, only to find that it was not there. Of course, she had left it in the foyer.

Cassie was zoned out from the rest of the world, in a vulnerable way that she would of disapproved of in her normal state, as she would have seen it as rude. But as she carefully walked up and down the room, occasionally placing a hand on an egg that had caught her eye, she was lost enough in what she was doing not to care. Each of these eggs held a soul, a being, and Cassie wondered if there was one somewhere in here, which had decided to pick her as well.

Realising that this was working to no avail, Cassie stopped, knowing that she was no nearer towards finding a dragon then she was when she entered the room. Closing her eyes briefly, she considered her next move. Then she saw it. In the corner of the room there was a large, golden egg, and from it she could feel a surge of…she had no words for it. The feeling when you know everything will be alright.

Trying to stop herself from running, Cassie slowly approached the egg. Yet as she picked it up, the feeling faded. Confused, Cassie looked around, and then she saw it.

Behind the golden egg was a black egg, a small green glow pulsating out from it at awkward intervals. That was the one. The one she wanted. Reaching out, she carefully picked it up, nestling it in the crook of her arm. It was lighter than she expected, but quite large, rising up to her shoulders from where she held it.

Turning towards the others, she walked towards the door.

"Would I be able to have this one, if it's ok?"

Yet despite Cassie's polite tone, inside she knew that she wanted this egg more than anything, and part of her baulked at this sentiment. Yet manners were manners, but Cassie found herself looking down to check that the dragon egg was ok every few seconds.

Seamus stared at the eggs blankly. He found himself actually listening to the senior student's words for a moment, and afterwards he was turning their words around in his mind. A bond that just felt 'right'. Something about that sounded familiar, like he knew what that was supposed to feel like. He gazed at the treasure trove of eggs, but before that bond was allowed to reach out to him he shut it out. He steeled up again inside, dismissing the idea as foolish and sappy. He only needed a dragon for the time he was in the Academy, like all the other races he couldn't stand them either. Large lizards, every last one of them. They weren't worthy enough to be a coin purse. After all, the jacket he was wearing must have belonged to someone gullible enough to climb on the back of a dragon and fly over the sea. Apparently that trust was violated, since he hadn't found any dragon bones where he got his jacket.

He'd come across aquatic dragons before, and he'd come across Draugr that had dragon souls. Whilst he tended to take cover when he saw actual dragons, watching them gracefully slip through the water from a safe distance. Draugr that had dragon souls tended to be very loud, and always seeming to do one task or another. Above all, dragon-souled Draugr were capricious and even violent at times. Him and his family tended to steer clear of them, which made him all the more reluctant to sleep near one of these things. But, maybe if he was lucky, he would choose a dragon egg that couldn't live underwater so he could leave it on a beach somewhere when he graduated.

He walked carefully, looking every egg up and down as if he was really searching for the right one. Even without looking, however, he felt gravitated towards a distant corner of the room. A wet stain had spread across its floor, obviously coming from a large blue egg that almost acted as a guardian to all the smaller eggs that clustered around it. As he reached his hand out to confirm if it was truly a source of water for the eggs around it, an aqua blue egg with red stripes fell on its side and pointed right at him. Seamus knew the eggs were alive inside, and he was positive that meant this egg had chosen him. It unnerved him for the slightest of moments, like a man with a crowbar had wedged at the door he'd so tightly shut. But Seamus' inner strength, whatever previous vendetta had given it to him, out powered the outside force and slammed the door shut once more. He didn't grab the egg that beckoned to him, instead snatching an egg of slightly darker shade with navy blue spots. He tucked the egg into his damp jacket and turned away from the wet corner, not saying a word to anyone.

~

Sin leaned on the door, keeping it open for any late students. She didn't have much to say to anyone, so she was simply watching to make sure no one harmed their eggs. She gave a light snicker as she saw Felic being bombarded by questions from the newcomer, not realizing she had been equally as curious as she was a year ago.

Then Cassie approached her, and she smiled and nodded to her as she asked to keep the dragon egg. "Of course you can have it. This is the egg you chose?" It was a black egg with a green glow, and it didn't go unnoticed by Sin how she continued to glance down at the egg to make sure it didn't vanish into thin air, as if confirming the whole event was real. The red-haired Azazel could tell right then and there they were going to be good friends.

She waited to hear Tatsuke checking off Cassandra as present and claiming her egg, but then she remembered he had to bolt due to his phobia, and he had taken the clipboard with the attendance sheet with him. Damn it!

So she turned to the spot where Dain and Soria were idly standing. They didn't seem to have much to do anyway, since her and Felic could watch over a few students as they picked eggs. With Felic's empathic abilities to make sure the bonds were matched to the right person and Sin's muscle to quickly jerk away any student who may stumble and threaten to fall on an egg, not much more supervision was needed. "Can one of you guys go hunt Tatsuke down and make sure he's all right? He took the attendance clipboard with him."

Edited by Luckyclaw

Lorf looked down at the egg he'd taken. look for that special connection? he thought. That was something he couldn't feel. He'd already chosen this egg, out of all the others, he'd chosen this one almost randomly, did that not prove some kin of connection in it self? He turned the egg around in his hands. he noticed on the back there was a strange black mark. I didn't notice that before he thought. He watched some of the other students picking eggs. They didn't seem to do any thing different, it seemed like they were just picking at random. The only thing he noticed different was they were looking over different ones like they couldn't deiced. Thats called being indecisive, why would that make the dragon better? he thought. No, he wasn't going to change eggs, he'd keep this one. He brought it under his cloak. too bad i don't have pockets big enough for this

Edited by na82008

Dain watched the students quietly. He had saw his friend turn sickening green and ran off and at first was dumbfounded be the event. It was then that he remembered the odd phobia that his friend held and why Luz would normally stay hidden even when watching. A surge of emotion fled over Dain, he could feel his chest heave. Dain tried to suppress it but the urge was stronger than him and he... Began to laugh. Dain laughed hysterically despite him knowing it was wrong. Dain moved to a wall and slid down to sit as he gripped his stomach. Luz looked down from her perch on his shoulder confused. Dain, what is wrong? Does your stomach hurt?

Dain merely shook his head, tears slowly building up in his eyes. He felt so bad for laughing and yet couldn't stop. After a while Dain's heart began to slow and his chest stopped pounding. Soon Dain was breathing calmly staring at the ceiling with a ridiculous grin. He looked around the room, watching the students and saw Cassandra pick out her dragon. He could tell by the way she protected the egg that it would be a worthy fit, however it seemed the Draug was having trouble. Dain stood slowly using the wall for support.

It was around this time that Sin turned towards Dain and the witch girl. He didn't quite catch what she said the first time, however was able to do a mental recall and figure out the gist of the question. He smiled with an evil glint in his eye. It would be obvious judging by the look on his face and the context of the question that Dain was planning to pull a horrible prank on his poor friend. "Hey Sin, I will go get Tatsie, after all it is my fault he ran."

"Yes." Cassandra smiled, once again looking down to check that it was still there in her arms. The weight was comforting in a way, an assurance that it was still there, although her arms were becoming slightly stiff from holding it in the same position. Shifting it to her other arm, Cassie stepped past the girl to slightly outside the room, to be out of the other's way.

Leaning against the wall, Cassie yet again stared down on her egg. She had no idea how to take care of it, anything…would she have to hatch it or something? She'd read books on dragons before she'd come here, been forced to even, by her family demanding that she had choose a flying dragon, and making her go through book after book of flightless dragons so she would know not to pick one. Looking down at the egg she held, Cassie couldn't identify it, and a lump rose in her throat as she thought of how uncomfortable it would be if it ended up flightless. Still she would have to cope. But her parents would not be pleased at all.

As she stared at the egg, she became brutally aware of how the black lump clashed awfully with her clothes. But black tended to be a good accompanist for most colours, and Cassie hoped that the dragon would work slightly better when it was hatched. That or, she would have to completely redo her wardrobe. Not that getting new clothes was a bad thing, but it would take effort. Cassie continued to daydream to herself about what the future would hold.

Sin stared at Dain as he laughed, and nearly glared at the glint in his eye. With a hushed tone spoke to him, trying not to draw attention to the words she said. They were meant for Dain and Dain alone. "Don't scare him even more, Dain. I'm warning you, it's not pretty..." Her voice was urgent and serious. She wouldn't follow Dain, so he could do whatever he wanted as soon as he found him. But when Tatsuke's dragon first hatched, he screamed and cried all night long carrying over into the next morning when the school doctor kept him in his health office. Apparently it was some kind of post-traumatic stress, but Tatsuke outright refused to tell anyone what caused it. Not even Choru, the school physician/psychiatrist. Sin used to be a prankster when she entered the Academy, she liked to pull harmless little jokes just to illicit small reactions. She ended up finding Tatsuke while he was alone in the woods, and had Mitch leap on him. She learned the hard way just how strong Tatsuke could become when he was blindly frightened, and just how loyal his silver dragon was despite his companion not even being able to look at him.

She turned her attention back to the room full of eggs. They couldn't leave until she get that clipboard back, since the eggs taken all had to be carefully recorded. Secretly she hoped someone would trail or accompany Dain to make sure he didn't do anything beastly. How would it look to the Headmaster if someone was gored on the first day of school?

~~~

Tatsuke had turned another corner, his lungs tight and burning from the final clutches of adrenaline and from running all this way. His back hit the cold stone wall, and he slid down it slowly until he hit the ground with a gentle thump. His breath was still heavy and ragged, and his eyes were slid closed. That was close back there... he was moments away from having a full-out panic attack. Thankfully he managed to pull himself away just in time. He was terrified of dragons, but he would never share the reasoning why with anyone. When we came to the Academy, he knew full well there were going to be dragons and that he would have to care for one, but up until this point he never know how bad his phobia was. Home he had been scared of the thought of them, but how was he to know that being close to a dragon could revert him into a panicky mess? There were no dragons living in Nihoun since the war began. Only humans and the occasional Kitsune, Tanuki and Kappa. All other races had been thrown out.

Entangled in his thoughts, he didn't notice the soundless approach of a silver dragon, long like a banner with a flowing mane and impala horns, soft blue like the sky. Dogan hid down the furthest corner from Tatsuke, coming from deeper in the castle. His ears pricked upwards, listening to the sound of Tatsuke's heavy breathing and wishing he could do something to comfort him. But no matter what kind of coat he wore, and no matter how hard he tried to walk like a human, Dogan was a dragon and he could never get close to the one he cared for.

Autumn listened carefully to Felic's explanation about his empathetic abilities, considering what he had said and how it fit in with her previous knowledge. Briefly closing her eyes as she settled on a conclusion, autumn reopened her bright gold eyes wide as a slight smile appeared on her face. "Synesthesia," she declared calmly, "It's called synesthesia where you register something with more than one sense when it shouldn't normally be." Confident in her summation, Autumn stood a little taller as she held her egg up to her chest and looked down at it.

"So when will my partner hatch? I'm rather curious. If they're waiting for a partner then will they hatch as soon as they have one?" Autumn asked, continuing along the new subject. Such a conditional hatching would mean there was a lot of magic at work in the process, something that certainly had her attention yet again, just like Felic's synesthesia.

Sunlight glinted off sharpened metal and exposed scales, the crisp air of Fall prompting feathery fur to fluff up faintly. Rough hands, forever covered in a plethora of scars from small cuts to long gouges, were closed around the circular weapon, a slight support for the reclined figure. Two sets of dark, yellow-green, eyes looked down upon the expansive forest, easily picking out small prey that were within a few hundred yards of where he rested. The feathery tip of his tail twitched at odd intervals, appearing as if it were a habit generated while he was fixed in thought.

Beneath him, gray stone supported his weight, holding stiffly against the sharp edges of the large, circular, blade. Al'nivte sat atop the school's battlements, comfortable on the roof and savoring the dizzying view. Arching his back, the Uccello stretched out his spine, a low hiss escaping his throat much like a man's groan. As bones in his spinal cord popped, he curled his taloned toes and moved his left ankle to relax the tension in the joint. Afterwards, he rose to his feet, his long trench coat shifting with his body as the bottom edges brushed the back of his legs. As he wore no shirt, a number of similar scars ran along various regions of his torso, unquestionably associated with training to use a rather strange weapon.

Though he was standing now, ring blade still placed against his back with his hands clutching both sides, the Uccello didn't move. He liked the feeling of the cool air in his fur and feathers, he enjoyed the freedom of being outside. The young male had not wanted to come to the Academy but his parents told him to accept the invitation and his mother was not one to accept any sort of backtalk. Still, the prospect of receiving a dragon was an alluring thought. Perhaps he would get a massive beast with less brains and more brawn to better his chances of gaining the things he so desired. But why brawn over brains? Because he did not favor someone outsmarting him. Pure and simple.

~~~~

"Is that the word? Good to know, thanks," Felic replied, turning the new bit of vocabulary over in his head and tempted to try the word on his tongue. "Sometimes it's only a day before the dragon hatches after being picked up, sometimes it's a couple of weeks. It's up to the hatchling when they want to see the world at last. There has been a situation where the dragon hatched a few days before her student companion even arrived at the Academy." The Empath shrugged faintly, turning his gaze over to a boy who approached him with excitement.

As James spoke, Felic attempted to keep his breathing steady. This young male was certainly energetic in his eagerness to learn about the school and the people in it. It made the Empath smile despite his slight discomfort, James's excitement spiking through his mind at random intervals. "There's probably much more for you to discover then. Even the teachers are diverse in their abilities and bloodlines. As for your sisters, it sounds like your homeland has a patriarchy; only men can take the throne and have power."

Then Sin's demeanor changed and he looked over in concern. He watched her speaking to Dain about something, he couldn't hear the words from this distance, and now he focused on the mischief that the Vampire felt. He sensed it earlier but had not thought anything of it before now. "Something troubles you, Sola?" Sorge was keen about picking up on Felic's own emotions, be it through his facial expressions or through touching his mind with her own.

Felic didn't know what was going on and he was sort of stuck at with the new students. "Something's troubled Sin and it's probably got to do with Dain. Stay with him please; I feel he's going to cause trouble at some point." Confirmation brushed his thoughts at the end of his unspoken words and he knew Sorge would keep an eye on the Vampire and follow him wherever he went.

Certainly, having an overeager dragon bounding up to you would be enough to startle anyone. At Timothy's size, it was if a very friendly hill had come over to say hello. However for Timothy to be overly surprised by this would have been asking for much. He simply leapt onto Duordin's head, and turned to Soria. "S'not a problem at all, miss." he replied "T'would be madness if I weren't to expect a greeting like this. After all, here there be dragons!"

He chuckled to himself, then jumped onto the dragon's back to be closer to eye level with Soria.

"Wicket's me name, Timothy Wicket, but most just call me Twig," he said with a bow. "Tis a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

Twig scanned the hallway to see where everyone else had gathered.

"I understand the hatchery's just yonder there?" he asked.

Without waiting for an answer, Twig pulled two straps that hung just over his shoulders. With a soft clatter of wood on cloth, the glider he wore on his back unfolded. he then hooked the straps to his belt, and gave a salute to Soria, before leaping off Duordin's back, and gliding down the hall.

Twig wandered around the Hatchery in awe of the sight. Many of the eggs were as big as he was! How on earth would he be able to care for one? Eventually Twig found himself in one of the far corners of the room. There, something caught his eye. Hidden in a shadow, covered in dust, was an egg that was much smaller than the others, Small enough for even him to pick up.

"Why what do we have here?" he said softly, "Tiny little thing, aren't ya? What are ya doing over here I wonder?."

Gently, Twig picked up the egg, and brushed the dust off it. The egg seemed to twitch slightly at the touch, as if responding to his warmth.

"It's all right little fella," Twig said softly, "you won't be alone anymore, I promise."

Soria didn't have a full opportunity to actually respond to anything that Twig or James had said; both left so quickly after introductions. Such an odd nickname! Why would he tolerate being called "Twig?" Well, if he liked it just fine, then the young witch couldn't disapprove of it. For a tiny individual, his mannerisms made him a bit cute in her eyes and she couldn't help but smirk. However, as he proceeded to climb up Duordin's back, she grew worried.

The green dragon was confused by this situation, turning his bulky head to try and see the fairy as the Littleputan reached a good position to launch from. "Play!" Oh god. The dragon moved quickly, jaws opening to reveal his thick, curved, teeth and dark red flesh that was moist from saliva. Lunging forward, his jaws snapped shut, an attempt at catching the tiny Fairy. Clumsily, he chased after the fairy, snapping a few times over.

Yelping in surprise, Soria whistled and hurried to grab at Duordin's tail before he was out of reach. "Duordin! Heel!" She snapped her fingers, another whistle rushing from her lips, and a string of ghostly music notes shot out from her hand, racing to wrap around the dragon's muzzle and keep his jaws shut, preventing him from succeeding in "catching" Timothy. "Sorry! He just likes to play!" She apologized profusely as the fairy left for the hatchery, choosing to remain where she was with Duordin to chastise him. Dragons just shouldn't eat the students, pure and simple, even if it wasn't purposefully.

Dain's grin cocked up and to the left again. It seemed to becoming a sign of him planning to do something unreasonable. Dain looked the Azazel in the eye and soften his gaze. He took a simple bow with one hand folded at a ninety degree angle and across his front hip and the other one across his back, folded the same. He purposely bowed lower than what would be considered respective. His body hit an acute angle before he popped back up to a standing position. "I would never do anything to hurt my poor human friend. However I will take your advise and very much think about it and make sure I follow it. So please madame, worry not for the little human. Don't wrinkle your beautiful face with lines of fear."

Dain took a step back, half expecting Sin to lash out on him. He turned and headed out through the door. He went quietly disappearing into the shadow of the hall as he slowly gained speed, while staying silent. Dain reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out a food of some sort. It was a round dry food which he lifted his hand and fed to Luz. Luz, I need you to do me a favor. I know you don't like scaring people, however this will be worth it. I want to appear in the shadows behind him and grab him so when he turns, he only sees my fangs and eyes. He will most likely scream and turn to run, which is when I need you.

Luz look down from her perch at her companion silently. So not only do you know I wish not to partake upon events such as this, you also have the guts to ask me to help? You are a despicable man, part of a despicable race. Yet, your my despicable man. I will do it. But only this once. Dain smiled and reached up petting Luz like she was a bird. Dain walked through the halls searching for his friend. Luckily, Dain knew his friend enough that he had an idea where to go. Dain came around the corner, his friend leaned against the wall. Improvising, Dain moved quietly in front of Tatsuke. He could tell that his friends eyes were closed which was helpful. Dain dived foreword, grabbing his friends shoulder and shoved his face into his friends line of sight. This only lasted for a brief second before Dain retreated back to the shadows.

James laughed as he saw the dragon pounce, cat like towards Twig.

"Wow, who'd have though dragons could be so childish. I suppose he would be only one year, I guess baby dragons are just like all other babies. I remember when my little brother was born. He kept crawling through the hallways and Mum would be searching the walls for him,"James mused. He sighed and wiped away a tear at the fond memory. His gaze fell on Felic, seeing the concern in his eyes, James guessed it was concern for that guy who'd run out.

"Has that guy got a phobia of dragons? Who was that guy who was following him? He looked scary," James paused in thought. He left out an excited gasp, "Wait, was he a vampire? They drink people blood don't they? My brothers used to tell me stories about them. I don't get why they always used to scare me so much, my species doesn't have blood like normal humans. I don't really know what we have," James stopped, he'd been babbling, again. He looked back over to where the vampire had left. If Felic was so concerned, maybe it wasn't such a good thing that the vampire had gone after the other one.

James stopped smiling, though the corners of his mouth were still raised slightly, and spoke, "If you're worried about him I can go and have a look, being able to walk through walls has it's advantages. Whats more if that guy is up to something I can put him to sleep pretty quickly, the record for someone withstanding the ice touch was about 10.5 seconds". James stroked his chin, briefly musing over his lack of any facial hair at his age.

Cassie watched as the Littleputian made his way into the hatchery. Wondering slightly which on he would choose, she turned her attention back to the weighty egg in which she held. Seeing a slight smear on part of the shell, she rubbed at it with her thumb, restoring the surface to its pristine state.

She could hear James muttering to himself, and turned round so that she was facing him.

"Hello." She said, once again dipping her head down to check on the egg and the ring. Constantly checking on both of them was slightly stressing her out, and the weariness of the jouney and diplomacy was starting to weigh heavily on her. Still, she forced herself to remain open and alert, in order to seem polite to those who were there.

"I am Cassandra Sunsoar. "

Tatsuke had been calming down slowly, and now was almost at the point where he was calm enough for Dogan to open a dialogue with him. Without Dogan being in his line of sight of course. But it would just so happen that when the silver dragon opened his mouth to ask his human companion if he would be all right, through the thick wall he heard Tatsuke scream again. Dogan's heart raced and his jaw dropped, his blue eyes panicky and claws scuffling on the smooth stone floor. Then as quickly as fear for his friend set in, anger did. Something was tormenting Tatsuke! His human! Dogan's base instinct was to protect his partner, and he would destroy whatever was causing him such emotional pain!

~

His fear shot right back up as the eyes and the fangs appeared in front of his face. No one who wasn't a specialist on fangs would notice in an adrenaline-induced hysteria, in a split second, that those fangs and eyes where those of a vampire and not of some kind of dragon. A sharp gasp filled his lungs, and he shot back up to his feet. The young man jerked himself into a run to the side, not knowing he was walking right into Dain's trap.

~~~

Sin fixed harsh eyes on Dain before he left, but didn't do anything more. She couldn't very well follow him to make sure he didn't do anything stupid, but she noticed that Sorge was going to trail them to make sure nothing got out of hand. She gave the dragon a grateful nod as she went after Dain and Luz silently. If Dogan did end up turning guard dragon in light of seeing Tatsuke panic, Sorge would be able to stop him to some degree. They were about the same size, Sorge slightly bigger than Dogan. Thankfully, Sorge was older than Dogan by about two or three months, but Dogan had the advantage of gender dimorphism on his side.

She turned her attention back to the students. They seemed to be conversing with each other about their eggs, and while she was concerned about how Dain would handle the situation, she didn't want the new students to intervene. Everyone here was green towards handling dragons and probably didn't has as much combat experience as the senior students did. Even though Tatsuke would probably shut down, possibly fainting in the process after he saw entrapped by a dragon, in that time he was functioning he was a very powerful mage who could inflict a lot of damage if he didn't watch what he was doing. Then there was Dogan to consider, who may normally be level-headed but he fought like a mother bear when Tatsuke was threatened.

Dain and Tatsuke were big boys. They could sort out their own issues.

"No, it's best that you don't get involved," She said to James, "If it gets hairy, I don't want to see any of you in danger."

In the back of her mind, she also knew that if anyone's life was threatened the Headmaster would show up. Though that would result in sure punishment towards all the seniors. They were supposed to be in charge around here and Headmaster Kaio didn't seem like he'd enjoy having his trust broken...

Dain smiled as he saw his friend head off to the side. It was perfect. Very rarely would a plan of Dain's come to ether so well, most of the time the prankee would notice. He has tried things like a bucket of water and a door, putting lightning current through the door handle and even the classic nail in the seat. Yet regardless of what he has tried it seems like every time the victim would do something and avoid it. Having targeted mainly teachers, Dain hasn't quite figured out if it was just luck or some sort of unknown skill. But this time it worked. Dain grinned from his spot in the dark like some sort of school girl.

With out having to say a thing, Luz knew what to do. It was surprising considering she trash talks his personality, yet she seems to help him with every prank. She also would follow the same style attack and retreat that Dain had done, being previously warned about Tatsuke's unnatural fear of dragons. Luz flew in front of Tatsuke and screeched a high pitch ear piercing screech. She sat in his view just long enough that his fear heighten state would be able to register that she was a dragon, before she flew back to Dain's shoulder.

Tatsuke didn't need the time to register what was screeching in his ear, because it wouldn't have mattered what it was to a man in a desperate frenzy. His mind was unhinged by his unnatural phobia, and he lashed out like a cornered animal. A blast of lightning shot from his hand at the same time a scream tore from his throat, slicing through the air with the CRACK of thunder and the BOOM of one of its splintering branches finding its ground in one of the Academy's light fixtures. It burst into sparks, which showered over the ground giving off a glaring red glimmer of fiery light. For seemingly no reason at all, Tatsuke suddenly collapsed and curled up into a ball, letting out pathetic whimpers of terror all the while.

Even if Luz managed to dodge the sudden explosion of lightning magic from Tatsuke's hand, that was the least of their worries now. There were suddenly a heavy thrumming of claws on the ground as a large creature turned the hall and charged right for him. A silver dragon in a green coat, its eyes so angry they barely seemed to recognize Dain as a friend and not a foe. Smoke was streaming from the corners of its mouth, and it inhaled a deep breath revealing a throat that was alight with inner flame. "Leave him!" The silver dragon demanded, his voice booming through a telepathic roar. Dogan was going right for Dain, and he did not look happy.

Edited by Luckyclaw

Damn it, Dain! Why? Sorge was a handful of yards behind the vampire, claws softly clicking against the tiled floor with each step. "You were right, Sola. Dain's sent Tatsuke into a fit of terror..." As the bolt of lightning lashed through the air, the black dragon instinctively cringed and hurried a few steps back.

"I can feel it... Be careful with Dogan!"

Sorge felt fear and sharp aggression lace Felic's mind as she sought his mind's voice; the fear belonged to Tatsuke for sure and the aggression had to be Dogan's. The Silver dragon charged around the corner, rushing at Dain as his open jaws revealed the fire that awaited to be released. She had yet to discover her own fiery breath which made deflecting dragon fire with dragon fire impossible on two accounts; the second being that the blowback from the colliding flames would still prove a danger. Generating an illusion was also out of the question as she would prefer not to surround Dogan in one based on his fears or desires; it was just a rather cruel thing to play with his already spinning mind.

So, what could she do? Well, she darted forward, opening her left wing to knock Dain to the ground and further away from the charging Silver. Knowing that Dogan's fiery attack wouldn't be halted in time, she shifted her right wing to guard her body and angled her left wing upward to guide the incoming plume of fire elsewhere. Dragon fire would hurt but her scales were surely strong enough to withstand the brunt of the attack. What would happen after that, she wasn't so certain of.

~~~~

Felic did not like feeling the apprehension that carried to him from Sorge but, what could he do? It only made him feel sick, knowing that Sorge was probably going to be hurt in some manner. For sure, once he saw Dain again, he wasn't going to exude companionship towards the vampire. The blood-sucking idiot was endangering the Empath's friends and he could not forgive that so easily. However, he couldn't let his thoughts get lost on a situation that he couldn't control or stop himself. To get his mind off of the unknown as best he could, he glanced at Sin with a question in his eyes: did she want to go ahead and get the new students moving on in their orientation? He figured that she would as they needed to continue on.

"It seems like you all have found your eggs now. However, I do want each of you to take a moment to just focus on the egg in your arms and see what you feel. If you've truly found the right egg, you'll feel a special connection to it, somewhat similar to a mother or father who holds his or her small child. When you know for sure that this egg was meant to be with you, then come outside to the hall with me. Once everyone's regrouped, we'll get your rooms sorted out." Briefly, he swept his gaze across each student's face, mentally focused on Lorf and Seamus; he was concerned about their lack of connection. However, Seamus was completely shut off while Lorf simply seemed confused. In which case, the Empath planned to speak privately with the Draug.

Moving out to the hallway, Felic was able to breathe better without so many nearby emotions pressing against his mind. Thankfully, most had just felt excitement, awe, and that ever important connection. Even the unhatched dragons were eager, possibly reaching out for their student in hopes that they were part of the new group. Seeing the eggs left in the hatchery reminded Felic of the orphanage; so many children waiting for adoption but only a few ever got to have a new home. However, Felic knew that those eggs would one day find their companion. It was only a matter of time.

The blast of fire raced towards Sorge only to come to a sudden and surprising halt as a bolt fire leapt down the length of the hall to intercept the blast. The fire seemed to have bounced off the floor, leaving little scorch marks on the ground as it went before it hit the fire breath head on in a flare of light. The interaction seemed impossible, but as the light of the impact faded, the form of a large cat made of fire resolved, sitting on the scorched stone floor. The, despite lacking eyes looked from Sorge to Dogan and back again before wavering and disappearing in a whisp of smoke. "That's enough, from all of you," a cold, hard voice called in accompaniment to an approaching set of footsteps.

~~||~~

Lorelei Aoi looked at the situation at hand, none-too-pleased with what she was left to deal with as she closed to within a dozen feet of the fight. "So do any of you care to explain why there's a full on brawl occurring in the halls? Especially one involving upperclassmen who should know better?" Lorelei asked in a dry tone of voice. Even before she got a reply, Lorelei was already making her usual judgements about the students going by their actions. Briefly she reached up to brush away her bone white bangs to get a better look at Sorge to ensure that no damage had been done.

Dogan halted in his charge immediately as the gigantic cat suddenly appeared in front of him. His eyes were wide and his body stiffened. He realized at that moment exactly what he had been doing, and in the next second he was ashamed of himself. He had just gotten so angry that his rationality went out the window, and he had been breathing fire at Dain! It was just that Dogan wanted so badly to protect Tatsuke that all thoughts of rationality just... went out the window, and he blindly attacked Dain. It was no excuse for acting like a monster towards someone who wasn't going to harm Tatsuke but merely rouse him...

But Dain knew Tatsuke had a phobia, even if he didn't know Tatsuke would have such a violent phobia that even seemed to have some kind of anxiety disorder laced in it. Dogan overreacted, but Dain did something outright spiteful. Nevertheless, the silver dragon realized he was at fault. He dipped his head to the ground apologetically. "I sincerely apologize for my behavior, miss Aoi. Dain and Luz pulled a trick on Tatsuke, and I wished to protect him so strongly that I became oblivious to the gravity of what I was doing. Sorge was only trying to keep Dain and Luz from harm." He kept his head down. His voice was mixed with very clear telepathic speak and the physical sound of consonants from his mouth. "Please forgive me, Sorge..."

Tatsuke had managed to sit back up, but he was shaking like a leaf clinging to a branch in the wind. His fingers threaded around his robe, hugging it close as if it was a warm blanket. His eyes were unfocused, aimed towards his feet, and his jaw was locked tightly. Either he was remembering something from a distant time, or he had regained control of himself and was just too shameful of his own behavior to say anything lest he make the situation worse. Either way, he looked completely perturbed and regretful... so it was probably the second one. The precious clipboard was at his side, he hadn't discarded it until the very end as if he had planned to go right back to his duties even after being scared silly twice.

Edited by Luckyclaw