xeyla

Show HTML/BBCode page tweak

In addition to the HTML/BBCode lines, can we have another one with the /lineage code also? I noticed all the code lines provided only have the /view codes.

Thoughts?

Edit: added some context to the title.

Edited by xeyla

I say it's not needed.....

Because you can easily change the link......

It's not going to take a hour, just 10 seconds.

No, honestly I support this. I mean it's easy enough to manually type out the code, too, so you don't even have to copy from the links. But it's a bit annoying when I want to show off lineages, especially for caveborns. Call be "lazy", I don't care, I think it's a good idea.

I say it's not needed.....

Because you can easily change the link......

It's not going to take a hour, just 10 seconds.

Well, there are a lot of suggestions that are not needed, like the Go to the AP after abonding thread where you want the "back to actions" link taken off of an abandoned dragons' page, when you could just spend 2 seconds clicking the Cave link, then the AP link.

I know this suggestion is not needed, but it would make posting lineage links on the forum much faster.

Edited by xeyla

bumpy~

Still looking for thoughts. I'd like to have this tweak still.

I think this would be good. It fits with the rule to not post view links to growing things on the forum.

I'd like this. I'm posting my fresh things to places where I only want them to get views, but not clicks, and linking to the lineage would avoid clicks. Additionally, I like listing my adult dragons with links to their lineage for immediate show-off.

Sure, it doesn't take much time to change for a single egg, but it does get exhausting after a while if you're doing this for multiple dragons ...

It makes sense for people who need the codes page to begin with to have the lineage link there, since it's necessary for the trading threads.

But at the same time it's not hard to get, you either right click on the lineage link and choose "copy link", or you go to the lineage page and copy the url. No link changing required, even though that's not hard either.

Might be clearer for newbies since they tend to post non lineage links at least once, before finding out it's a bad thing.

/whynot

I think it would be a useful addition. When posting a lot of links, it would save a fair bit of time (especially for CBs, which do not have a direct-click lineage view and require typing it in). It would also be useful for people who don't know that the view code is not to be used on the forums.

Sure, casual support for this in the "why not" sort of way.

I'd like this. I'm posting my fresh things to places where I only want them to get views, but not clicks, and linking to the lineage would avoid clicks.

Pretty sure the lineage page doesn't give views. Try linking directly to the image instead ( http:// dragcave . net / image / ABCDE . gif for dragon ABCDE). As a bonus, people won't be able to click the egg's lineage tile, they'd have to manually change the url from /image/ to /view/ , which most won't do.

I'd like this. I'm posting my fresh things to places where I only want them to get views, but not clicks, and linking to the lineage would avoid clicks.

(Removing the clickable part of the link and only leaving the image itself will actually be more effective in giving views but not clicks, as I believe AGYK is right. As well, I've been giving clicks if I click a dragon in a lineage.)

~

I think perhaps the best way to do this would be to have a toggle on the code page where you can select "view" or lineage". That way we're not overly spammed with information.

Ex.

user posted image

As for the link benefiting new users, I think we really need to add a lineage link on the view page as well, since on this forum, if they try to use the provided image codes, they don't work (as that would give views to the dragons and is against the rules).

(Removing the clickable part of the link and only leaving the image itself will actually be more effective in giving views but not clicks, as I believe AGYK is right. As well, I've been giving clicks if I click a dragon in a lineage.)

Well, I don't WANT to remove the link as I'm listing them for their lineage. As long as you only view the lineage, no click is being given.

I like the toggle idea. What would be needed for this forum though would be a lineage link without the image - or a stock image, like from the wiki, since TJ cycles the names for stock images (e.g. only 1 file for all male Horse adults in a lineage) for a reason.

Might be clearer for newbies since they tend to post non lineage links at least once, before finding out it's a bad thing.

/whynot

Yes, yes, yes!

I think this is a good idea. I feel like it might help new people that don't know not to use the view links on the forum, if not save everyone else a few seconds. smile.gif

I think perhaps the best way to do this would be to have a toggle on the code page where you can select "view" or lineage". That way we're not overly spammed with information.

Ex.

user posted image

As for the link benefiting new users, I think we really need to add a lineage link on the view page as well, since on this forum, if they try to use the provided image codes, they don't work (as that would give views to the dragons and is against the rules).

I like this idea; it's not overly intrusive but also not super hard to find. I think this is a good suggestion if it's implemented in the way outlined above.

I support the toggle-able page. It'd be nice to have the lineage links handy.

Wow, I forgot I posted this.

I like Socky's idea for the toggle, it will help keep the code page clutter-free. It's better than my idea of adding another code box to the page.