GUYUGKUYG

Do mass breeds still deserve their hate?

--oh, and lots of us do take eggs from those walls, incubate, hatch and send to departures, release back to the AP or whatever. I don't do it because i's 'fun' but because I hope to get that wall out of the way faster so I can go back to doing the part of the game that I do enjoy.

Amen to everything you said. I've a proposal for everybody that doesn't like mass breeding walls but still picks up, hatches, and such, just to get the wall out of the way. Next time, and every time that a wall is created by mass breeders, let's not. Let's not do a single thing: no picking up, no hatching, nothing. Leave the eggs where they are and go for a walk or read a book or meet with friends for drinks. People that like mass breeding will be picking those up, right? Let's see how massbreding "lowers" the time without our cooperation.

ya know I have been thinking the same thing lately, mass breeds are (while kinda inconvenient for a hour or two) overall in the big picture, good for everyone because it evens out the ratios

and i had this crazy idea pretty similar to yours

we could call it: "Organized Mass Breeding"

what if someone set up a thing ont he forum where everyone breeds their dragons at the same time

so everyone could vote in a poll from the most common dragons in the game

lets say the dragon of the month was...albinos

then at 5:00 everyone involved bred every albino they had at midnight

then one person would not have to collect a ton to flood the AP because everyone could help no matter how small of a contribution

this could make ratio ramming much easier since amassing armies takes time

Edited by blockEdragon

I don't really mind mass breeding, if I don't like what's being bred, I simply don't pick it up. Yes, it can get a bit dull if all you can find in the AP are messy *insert breed here*, but nowdays many of the lineages that have been massbred consist of neat 2nd gens, PB's and checkers, not just messy schlock.

There is also this, not specifically targeted to mass breeding as such, it is a nice way to get a bunch more eggs out there and add some variety. https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showt...0entry9084989

Walls- as has been pointed out there are other, less intrusive ways to get times down, try to affect ratios, or share nice lineages if that is the intention behind building walls.

Please stop using the word haters. We don't like the walls (and the fact that they have a large impact a lot of the playerbase) and we express that opinion and get called haters. Some of you don't like hearing it and express that too, I doubt you'd care to be called a hater because of it. Some even go so far as to talk about 'retaliation' by going on a spree, would you want to call those people haters too? I really don't think that word belongs in what should be an attempt at a civilized discussion about mass breeding. All it does is bring out the defensiveness and ramp emotions up.

Just popping in to be captain obvious and point out that it would actually take HOURS to breed an army with hundreds of dergs, let alone an army of a thousand or so dragons. That's actually... kind of tedious, as opposed to just doing other DC stuff in that amount of time or just generally keeping away from DC for a few hours.

p.s. i actually have no idea how massbreeders don't get bored midway because i just kind of know my wrists start hurting after clicking the same thing over and over and over for an hour or two.

p.p.s. p sure it's the haters that started it this time, but that's none of my business

Maybe you should clarify that point with people that kept walls of blockers up for more than one day.

The "haters" part is actually quite offensive, if someone does not have your same tastes does not mean that they are "haters". Just that they would like to be actively participating on DC and are kicked out for hours, if not days. And, if you do not mind, "he/she started it", ""he/she is to blame" sounds very kindergarten-style.

Generally I have to say I do not mind mass breeds that brings me to a wall of eggs for hours on end. I think the longest wall I had seen only lasted a couple of hours of minty eggs.

The AP full, ok. Let me check on my scroll to see if I skipped over any breeding pairs that I still need to finish up. Let me scour the biomes for a cave-born that I might need. Go back to the AP and see if there are any great codes or Z-codes. Check the departure threads.

No reason to stress over something you can't control. It is only temporary.

It makes me sad to have to say it, but while I used to spend hours a day clicking away in the AP, I now find myself spending most of that time at another site. This is because I am seldom able to find what I'm seeking in the AP these days, because some of the other members seem to want to control it by overbreeding their stock and dumping it in there.

I like to collect (with some exceptions) cave borns, and used to be able to find a lot of them in the AP, now there are few and even fewer of particular breeds I hunt for from time to time. The second and higher generations I sometimes take must be neatly bred and preferably have some kind of decent names. What I have been finding lately are a lot of eggs with long and ugly family histories; these can only be described as being mutts. True, there are some nice ones, but there are many ugly ones too.

While it's true that a wall might be only "temporary," when it's followed by another, and then another, it's trying on this person's patience.

Instead of hanging out in the AP, I've been starting to breed my own lineages for a change, but I'm not finding that as satisfying as a good hunt used to be. IMHO, this kind of mass breeding is terrible and I would like to see a whole lot less of it.

I dunno man. I find it hard to understand the amount of emotion here, in general. It's just not that big a deal to me either way. I hunt the AP regularly, always have, and the walls are something I just take for granted as an aspect of the AP. Sure, it's mildly annoying when it's a wall of a species I don't like much, but no more so than when I just don't see anything that appeals to me. Either way I leave, come back a few hours later, and try again. What's the difference? And sometimes I do like the species used for a wall. So it evens out.

It makes me sad to have to say it, but while I used to spend hours a day clicking away in the AP, I now find myself spending most of that time at another site. This is because I am seldom able to find what I'm seeking in the AP these days, because some of the other members seem to want to control it by overbreeding their stock and dumping it in there.

I like to collect (with some exceptions) cave borns, and used to be able to find a lot of them in the AP, now there are few and even fewer of particular breeds I hunt for from time to time. The second and higher generations I sometimes take must be neatly bred and preferably have some kind of decent names. What I have been finding lately are a lot of eggs with long and ugly family histories; these can only be described as being mutts. True, there are some nice ones, but there are many ugly ones too.

While it's true that a wall might be only "temporary," when it's followed by another, and then another, it's trying on this person's patience.

Instead of hanging out in the AP, I've been starting to breed my own lineages for a change, but I'm not finding that as satisfying as a good hunt used to be. IMHO, this kind of mass breeding is terrible and I would like to see a whole lot less of it.

This is average breeding. People who are not on the forums who don't know or care what's popular here or what people here want them to breed for them to hunt. They breed for themselves, not for others.

An influx of "pretty" bred dragons in the AP is usually from an organized mass breed. And those tend to be less during the holiday season because people have other things to do or their pairings are reserved for holiday mates.

An influx of CBs tends to be from new releases, because people misclick eggs and them dump them into the AP later. But we haven't had a new release in several months (again, holidays) so that won't start up again until after Valentines.

Amen to everything you said.  I've a proposal for everybody that doesn't like mass breeding walls but still picks up,  hatches, and such, just to get the wall out of the way. Next time,  and every time that a wall is created by mass breeders, let's not.  Let's not do a single thing: no picking up, no hatching, nothing. Leave the eggs where they are and go for a walk or read a book or meet with friends for drinks. People that like mass breeding will be picking those up, right? Let's see how massbreding "lowers" the time without our cooperation.

I really don't want to get involved in this pointless argument again. However, I have to respond to this because it utterly baffles me. Massbreeding does not require cooperation to lower the time in the AP. If fewer people pick up the eggs, it will be lowered more. Let me break it down for you:

-AP is going along as normal. Eggs are at, say, 6d0h, getting picked up at the same rate they are replaced by new ones.

-AP stays at 6d0h for several days.

-100 Olives come along. Olives are not as desirable as other breeds, many people don't want more than a few of them at most.

-The rate of eggs being picked up from the AP slows down considerably,

-causing the time of eggs in the AP to drop, since eggs lose time while in the AP.

-Eventually, the Olives become incuhatchable at 5d0h and start being picked up quickly.

-By 4d22h, the AP is clear of Olives.

-Eggs continued being dropped to the AP as normal during the wall

-The AP is now at 4d22h, with incuhatchable eggs for all.

Your "proposal" is literally what we have been suggesting you (the people complaining about massbreeds) do and you have been angrily refusing. Just take a step back, relax and enjoy life, and then come back to enjoy a low-time incuhatchable AP.

Even if almost everyone refused to pick up any of the eggs, by the time they are ER just a small handful of users could clear them out by themselves, by hatching them and then either keeping, freezing, departuring or APing the hatchlings.

Edited by The_Bucket

This is average breeding. People who are not on the forums who don't know or care what's popular here or what people here want them to breed for them to hunt. They breed for themselves, not for others.

What I described is average breeding but not necessarily by people not on the forums. There are a whole lot of ugly eggs, with super long lineages, produced that match others being bred during mass breeds. If forum members cared what was popular, there would also be fewer mixed breeds and more PBs being abandoned. These mixed breeds might appeal to newbies who are trying to build up a bigger collection, but are of less use to members who want to build a collection with some kind of order and unity in mind.

An influx of CBs tends to be from new releases, because people misclick eggs and them dump them into the AP later. But we haven't had a new release in several months (again, holidays) so that won't start up again until after Valentines.

I think that's a popular fallacy. I did not accumulate a rather large collection of Water Walkers, for one thing, because people accidently clicked on them and then discarded them. This, especially, since they were far from new releases when I picked them up.

Oh my... I get and share your point of view. How can we find what we want or need when some other members seem to want to control what we can get by overbreeding their stock and dumping it in there?

And I think I understand/get your point of view on "temporary": when a bunch of "temporary" is forced on us by mass breeders, there is no "temporary", there's mass breeders forcing us to catch/hatch the disgusting stuff they bred, otherwise the AP will not move.

If forum members cared what was popular, there would also be fewer mixed breeds and more PBs being abandoned.

Bred dragons are created by people for their own personal preferences. If you care for the results to be different, I'd suggest doing something proactive to influence that behavior. After all, you are asking people to do you a favor and should be willing to do something in return for them or at least have a compelling reason. "I want" may work for glomping but probably not for changing the AP balance.

And I'll simply disagree on the CB thing.

... After all, you are asking people to do you a favor and should be willing to do something in return for them or at least have a compelling reason.

I think you are missing the point I'm trying to make here. There are indeed people going to a lot of trouble to breed unattractive eggs and build walls in the AP. All I'm doing is asking them to STOP doing it.

As for a compelling reason, I'll go along with what The_Bucket said about 4 posts back. Overbreeding to reduce the times eggs have in the AP simply doesn't work.

Edit to correct spacing.

Edited by Stormcaller

I think you are missing the point I'm trying to make here.  There are indeed people going to a lot of trouble to breed unattractive eggs and build walls in the AP.  All I'm doing is asking them to STOP doing it.

As for a compelling reason, I'll go along with what The_Bucket said about 4 posts back.  Overbreeding to reduce the times eggs have in the AP simply doesn't work.

Edit to correct spacing.

No, I think they disagree with you on what's attractive. And it doesn't change that you aren't going to see what you want in the AP without giving people a reason to produce it. You are asking dozens, if not hundreds of users to spontaneously change their behavior for your benefit. It's unlikely that many unique users would read this thread to begin with. Seriously consider how many dragon pairs they'd need to breed and scrolls to drop CBS AFTER the 5 hour wait.

As as for overbreeding, it absolutely works. The first week we did the TMB, we cut the AP time to incuhatchable. And it stayed that way until we stopped running the raffle. I guess you can claim that's spurious or whatever, but I'm content with... AP was at 6 day, we did X, and then it was at 3 shortly thereafter. And stayed at 3 so long as we continued that behavior. After we stopped, it went back up to 6. I can't see a reason to disagree with hard results.

Edited by Vhale

Even if it does NOT drop the AP times, mass breeding of commons definitely helps out the ratios so it is easier to find/breed the rarer dragons! I always love to breed my metal checkers when there is a mass breed project going on. wub.gif

I also love picking through the mass breeds. Sometimes there's a perfect one to continue a checker I am working on. I would rather find the common outcomes in the AP (lower time and means I can save my own dragons for the rarer outcome), anyway. biggrin.gif It's pretty easy to tell when it's worth looking through the AP or not. If you pick up several eggs that are messy or otherwise undesirable to you, especially if they are from the same breeder, it's a bad time for you to AP hunt. Come back later.

As far as purebred vs "mixed breed", a good checker is almost always more valuable and popular than a purebred. You can get a lot more in trade value for a checker metal than you can a purebred metal, for example. I don't know of many people who do common purebred lineages, but I know a ton who do common x rare checker lineages.

If by "mixed breed", you mean messy lineages, then alright, I can agree. I don't like messy lineages, either (unless they are incuhatchable BSAs, and then I don't care what the lineage is). Most of those probably come from people who don't have a forum account and don't know it's not a desirable lineage. A checker or other clear pattern lineage, however, isn't a bad lineage to most people. It's a valuable lineage, and many such lineages end up on the Great Lineages thread, picked up by people who are raving over how awesome they are.

To be honest, I would rather have to wade through a wall of 5 day or less messies to find the gems than to have the wall of 6 day eggs. At 6 days, it's hardly worth even going through the AP, in my opinion. I may as well breed my own lineages or go hunt in the caves. If I want commons, I can easily catch or breed uncommons and rares and trade them for more common CB hatchlings. I can do that much faster than I can hatch out any 6 day AP eggs I happen to find.

As for a compelling reason, I'll go along with what The_Bucket said about 4 posts back. Overbreeding to reduce the times eggs have in the AP simply doesn't work.

That is not at all what I said. Massbreeds are amazingly effective at lowering the AP time.

That is not at all what I said. Massbreeds are amazingly effective at lowering the AP time.

True, but if you consider backing up the AP with undesirable eggs the way to keep the times low, what you will end up with is fewer users coming around to claim them and before long, fewer users coming to DC at all. Is this what anyone really wants? I don't think so.

What this comes down to is that there are many variations to the way folks want to play DC and we have always said that no single way is "the right way." If this is indeed true, then here we have a situation where some members are claiming that their way is more right than that of other members. By building that wall, they are forcing their choice of breeds on the rest of us, or we have to do without picking up any eggs for the duration of that wall and perhaps several more walls to come.

To be honest, I would rather have to wade through a wall of 5 day or less messies to find the gems than to have the wall of 6 day eggs.

While you might be looking for eggs of a dozen or more different breeding combinations, if that wall is solid Purple Dorsal, and Purple Dorsal is not one of the breeds you are seeking, I can just about guarantee that you are not going to find any "gems," there.

If you pick up several eggs that are messy or otherwise undesirable to you, especially if they are from the same breeder, it's a bad time for you to AP hunt. Come back later.

Here we have that "go away," answer to the problem again. Later might be better, but if there is another wall in the making, it probably won't be.

Is there not a way for TJ to accommodate all kinds of playing without depending on a handful of members to take control and artificially lower the times in the AP by clogging it up with whatever they feel like throwing in there?

Pandalf - OT - but please could you stop with the pink text ? I actually can't read your posts, and this one is so long it might have something in it worth reading. Yes I can use "print thread" - but I shouldn't have to; if you want me to read what you have to say, it should actually be legible.

Thanks. I hope.

ETA that was a serious request. I'd have LIKED to read your posts. I see you have added to it in more illegible text. Thanks again - not. sad.gif

Edited by fuzzbucket

Goodness at the arguments...

This is a game that has no one particular way it's meant to be played. I have never liked and will never like massbreeding (curse you, 42, with those mints!), but that is the playing style of some users and the result of it doesn't prevent folks from obtaining eggs in the biomes if they don't want the AP eggs.

Yes, it's annoying when you know you need a CB common that's often found on the AP with lower times. No, it's not the fault of massbreeders if you choose to complain about having to go to the biomes to hunt and pick up an egg rather than being lazy and getting a low-time egg from the AP just because you don't have to spend as much time raising it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't believe that the amount of time it takes for a mass breed to clear from the AP is enough to warrant a change to the caves, nor is it reason for users to be belittled on the forums regarding their playing-style.

This is a game that has no one particular way it's meant to be played. I have never liked and will never like massbreeding (curse you, 42, with those mints!), but that is the playing style of some users and the result of it doesn't prevent folks from obtaining eggs in the biomes if they don't want the AP eggs.

Yes, it's annoying when you know you need a CB common that's often found on the AP with lower times. No, it's not the fault of massbreeders if you choose to complain about having to go to the biomes to hunt and pick up an egg rather than being lazy and getting a low-time egg from the AP just because you don't have to spend as much time raising it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't believe that the amount of time it takes for a mass breed to clear from the AP is enough to warrant a change to the caves, nor is it reason for users to be belittled on the forums regarding their playing-style.

This. Every word of it.

Honestly, how long is any of us really inconvenienced with any given mass breed ?

This pretty much sums up my thoughts. DC is a game. There's no right or wrong way to play it. If you like a high-time diverse AP, then the majority of the time that is available. If you like a bonanza of a certain dragon and a low time AP, either wait for a massbreed or do one yourself. That simple. I'm not going to argue the intricacies of who is being 'selfish' by asking the other side to do what they want or supposedly ignoring the other side, because it really doesn't matter.

I'm new to this thread and as such, I haven't read through the entire conversation. however I agree with this post. I don't mind the massbreeds, even if it does get a bit annoying sometimes, at the same time you never know what you'll find in the lines within the massbreeds. I've found some Spriter's Alt babies more than once during them and other times they were perfect for what I needed with other lines I had thought were too complicated to continue.

I try to do massbreeds from time to time, but I aim for different breeds than the ones I usually see. Reds, Pinks and Oranges for example. I try to breed dragons that can help others with their BSAs. I also enjoy breeding dragons with checkered lines which may help others who are building the same lines.

For example, once I ran into a massbreed of Magelights and it helped me out a lot. I caught a bunch of CB's that day and ended up egg-locked.

I love any dragon on this cave, the only times when a massbreed truly annoys me is when the eggs are super messy.

I think it heavily depends on the breeds and lineages being produced in great numbers.

Since I'm very much into lineages, I really hate walls of messies.

I'm also not a fan of some breeds, and find it annoying if there's a wall of those somewhere.