GUYUGKUYG

Do mass breeds still deserve their hate?

Have you, by any chance, ever seen this lineage?: http://dragcave.net/lineage/Xq24e

Not till today - but I am working up to similar ones.

http://dragcave.net/lineage/jnohy

http://dragcave.net/lineage/xNZ7D

I think they are brilliant - and yes they take work, and a refusal is HEARTBREAKING!

When I say disgustingly and MESSILY inbred I do mean it:

http://dragcave.net/lineage/73DVe

You need to check back. This 25th gen shocker WAS to be a true deadline, and I wanted to see, once the bottom line had been dead long enough, if it still showed up as inbred. You can actually see:

http://dragcave.net/lineage/RgX10 (21st gen) - who has been held up here in threads as a truly shocking example xd.png

I often hatch AP eggs and put those hatchies in gifting threads until I'm out of magis...

I find it enjoyable (and it helps with the ratios, because sometimes people don't have egg space but have space for an extra hatchie to freeze or whatever)

I often hatch AP eggs and put those hatchies in gifting threads until I'm out of magis...

I find it enjoyable (and it helps with the ratios, because sometimes people don't have egg space but have space for an extra hatchie to freeze or whatever)

I just caught an electric egg that hatched the moment I caught it (when I caught it there was a huge gaping hole in it), the moment I click on it the thing is already a hatchling . . . dat timing.

I notice people have stated "no one complains about messy lineages rares...." My thought on this has always been, its not the number that are bred that create ratios, its the total number that exist on your scroll and all the scrolls. You are new and you have just a few messy metals ... that's ok by me. But as you become a better richer player I would expect you to not be breeding those and I strongly encourage people to release and free stuff that doesn't hold value or meaning if they want to reduce scroll clutter and have a more organized or prettier Scroll.

So I'm a big fan of respecting the ratios and if it's not something you care about anymore, let it go so we can keep people able to get them. Some people abhor this idea, but it impacts just as much and I try to balance what I want and giving away what I don't so another can have it.

Honestly I've planned to mass-breed my Bleeding Moons when I reach number of 500-1000 but meh. I rarely see anybody thanking me for even nice lineages dropped to the AP so I don't see the point of trying anymore. Random gifting via forums and IRC is much better.

Generally I don't mind mass-breeding said Mints, as last time some of them had nice lineages, or were 2nd gens, or had amusing codes. Quite a wide choice despite them all being the same breed. ...but when I see someone mass-bred different kinds, and both parents have pokemon names, I can be almost completely sure it's going to be terribly messy. laugh.gif So generally it all depends on who spams the AP and with what content. But I'm able to get over it so no problem for me.

Heh, even those have fans, if not very many. Different people play the game differently, and just because most forumgoing players aren't interested in dragons with huge, aimless brambles for lineages doesn't mean that they have no value or meaning for the people who haven't 'decluttered' their scrolls by releasing them.

I don't breed them to the AP (nor offer them out except on request), but I for one am actively seeking 'horribly' lineaged messy dragons for a lineage project. Every egg I can snag with 100+ non-repeated ancestors saves me the time it takes to find, hatch, raise, and breed three, four, or more micro-messy dragons with 20-30 ancestors, so to me those eggs are easily worth dozens of CB commons. Value on the trading market is a significant aspect of this site, certainly, but so is subjective value- and the most valuable egg/hatchling to a person will always be the one that's exactly what they're looking for at this exact moment. If someone who is actively playing and hasn't abandoned their scroll is keeping a dragon around, it's generally a safe bet that they care about it for some reason, even if it's not a reason that you'd agree with.

Finally, for those of you blindly tossing That One Person's massbred eggs back, you might want to reconsider not checking the lineages- they may be less common than the tremendous tangles, but not ALL the Color + Pokemon eggs are messy...

Edited by Troubletail

I'd just like to throw in my love here for the mass breedings like the Mint Wall. I don't collect Mints, and the last time I saw the wall I didn't try collecting any, but I think it's awesome nonetheless. Seeing a solid wall of any one breed makes me oddly happy whether I collect it or not. :3

To be honest, it doesn't bother me that some people mass breed crummy lineages. There are plenty of users who are not lineage snobs (I am an extreme lineage snob, for the record), and who are happy to play collect-the-sprites. Some people even like the large, unwieldly trainwreck lineages because they look 'interesting'. Why should I resent them for their playing style? Sure, it's annoying if I'm looking for some specific CB commons and all I'm getting are what I consider disaster lineages, but I generally just come back the next day and try again. At least the AP is being kept full so that eggs can be incuhatched or ER-ready.

With a nod to the OP's thought, I do try to have at least a day a month where I mass breed my own 'nice' lineages - my pretty even-gens, my useful BSAs, and sometimes various metals. I may not have the greatest number of nice things on my scroll, but I do try to do my part to get nice things into the AP.

I stopped hating mass-breeders the second the AP stopped blocking the Biomes. smile.gif

As for mass-breeding forcing eggs lower in time.... While the AP tends to shift up and down in time left, and I've seen it hit 1 day before, it always comes back up on its own. So no need.

Now mass-breeding to help the ratios.... Its been tried before, not sure how successful it was. Probably needs a wider effort for an extended period of time. I might have to pick two blocker breeds, and do a checker... I've seen any number of my lines in the Great Lineages found in the AP page. Usually the higher gen checkers.

Cheers!

C4.

Hullo~ As one of the mass-breeders (or potential ones?) I'm really on the fence if I deserve hate for a neo wall or not.

On one hand they're very neat neos. Nearly all are 2nd-gen (PB or x Holiday). You can't really tell me they're ugly and nobody can continue those. And immediately after my neo spam it got (slightly) harder for me to find neo eggs, so... not sure if that messed with the ratios or not. Could be a coincidence.

Then again, who actually wants to make a giant neo lineage? And seriously, nearly 400 bred neos is enough to grate on anyone's nerves. I started thinking it was a bad idea about 100 breedings in. Also, I'm one of those users who collects like 90% CB dragons - so lineaged dragons in the AP, really?! Couple that with my neo wall coinciding with a mint wall and... yeah. I can see why people would be exasperated.

In conclusion: Oh, maybe. The cons seem to outweigh the pros.

Then again, who actually wants to make a giant neo lineage? And seriously, nearly 400 bred neos is enough to grate on anyone's nerves. I started thinking it was a bad idea about 100 breedings in. Also, I'm one of those users who collects like 90% CB dragons - so lineaged dragons in the AP, really?! Couple that with my neo wall coinciding with a mint wall and... yeah. I can see why people would be exasperated.

I would! I tend to lack the dedication to actually see lineages through, but I love neos and I love lineages with neos. That said, if something is extremely plentiful, I will tend to avoid grabbing them in favor of something that is harder to get because I know that I can grab the super common at any point in time. The exception are ones that are rare/uncommon going through a population explosion.

Meh. I no longer have an opinion on mass breeds now that the AP no longer blocks the cave. biggrin.gif

However, I feel as I have always felt that the ratios should set aside a certain percentage of each breed's newly produced eggs to be guaranteed CB eggs. Particularly when it comes to rares. I would think something like 30-40% would be good. Golds, silvers, and coppers are supposed to be rare, but the CB versions would be a little easier to obtain if a guaranteed portion of the eggs of these breeds were CB. Yes, this would make it harder to breed them, but easier to catch them in the cave, which would mean that the eggs would get spread around a little better, instead of the bulk of new metallic eggs being bred on the scrolls of people who already have metallics. Admittedly, people with fast internet or fast computers would be at an advantage, but they always have been; that's never going to change.

(Perhaps the ratios already do something like this and I am not aware--if so, my bad.)

I need to make a point of breeding more of my nice lineaged BSAs to the AP. Other than that, I try as much as my schedule allows to break my breeding runs into chunks. I think as people play the game longer, they don't time to breed everything on their scroll. Just cause there is so much more. I've started grouping my better Dragons and breeding pairs at the top and first pages of my Scroll. Makes life so much easier and it makes it nice and easy to remember the nice things and keeps the other stuff packed away until I find something nice to match it with.

Heh, even those have fans, if not very many.  Different people play the game differently, and just because most forumgoing players aren't interested in dragons with huge, aimless brambles for lineages doesn't mean that they have no value or meaning for the people who haven't 'decluttered' their scrolls by releasing them. 

I don't breed them to the AP (nor offer them out except on request), but I for one am actively seeking 'horribly' lineaged messy dragons for a lineage project.  Every egg I can snag with 100+ non-repeated ancestors saves me the time it takes to find, hatch, raise, and breed three, four, or more micro-messy dragons with 20-30 ancestors, so to me those eggs are easily worth dozens of CB commons.  Value on the trading market is a significant aspect of this site, certainly, but so is subjective value- and the most valuable egg/hatchling to a person will always be the one that's exactly what they're looking for at this exact moment.  If someone who is actively playing and hasn't abandoned their scroll is keeping a dragon around, it's generally a safe bet that they care about it for some reason, even if it's not a reason that you'd agree with.

Finally, for those of you blindly tossing That One Person's massbred eggs back,  you might want to reconsider not checking the lineages- they may be less common than the tremendous tangles, but not ALL the Color + Pokemon eggs are messy...

Yeah I know c: I still check the lineages out of my terrible curiosity. http://dragcave.net/lineage/UsAa1 These gems are so rare though, I don't really have patience anymore to search for them actively among the messies. D:

I'm such an even gen fickler, too. And one not to like Balloons, water Horses, Flamingoes and such. I do breed to abandon-but only 2nd or nicely lineaged even gen stuff-or BSA dragons. Sometimes in masses, yes. Like, a dozen not to muddy reds yesterday, so people have instant hatch.eggs that'll help them incubate theit Christmas dragons.

I "massbred" most of my dragons about week ago. Did someone of you get some?

Im thinking about to massbreed them again after xmas... And then i have over 200 dragons....

And then everyones AP will be full of commons, uncommons, rares with clean and messy lineages but me. Don't hate me for planning this.

Im thinking about to massbreed them again after xmas... And then i have over 200 dragons....

And then everyones AP will be full of commons, uncommons, rares with clean and messy lineages but me. Don't hate me for planning this.

The best way to prevent people from hating you for massbreeding is NOT to breed messy lineages to the AP.

Edited by Ha-Ki

I only abandon eggs that I know someone will take. If people did that, then people would be happy.

However, I've noticed a lot of Purple Dorsals and Ridgewings. Perhaps a contest could be put in order for people to raise those and whoever raises the most gets a prize. I understand why they are abandoned, but people should at least gift them to loving scrolls instead.

I shall if I like. That is really inconsiderate.

But how do we find the loving scrolls, sbowen ?

I don't hate you, but I think you're kinda crazy. It would waste an hour or more of your time to mass breed hundreds of dragons, and it still won't give you an advantage over anyone else... eggs you dropped still show up in your AP, they will just always give you a "you can't find this egg" message when you click on it. (Unless somebody's already picked it up and dropped it again, in which case you'll end up picking it up again yourself anyway!)

And sbowen, I don't see what's so mean about putting an egg on the abandoned page. A loving home is even more likely to appreciate an egg if it's incuhatchable, IMHO! :-)

Edited by tjekan

I notice your sig says that you need a couple CBs and will breed any few dragons from your scroll. But now they can just get them from the AP instead! There is no incentive here!!

I think you may have only doomed yourself. You must work the power of evil sneakiness and keep all the eggs to yourself until we give in to your wishes and present you with the eggs. Just a tip from an experienced evil overlord.

Massbreeding isn't nearly as annoying as it used to be...but its still frustrating to cave hunt for nicer lineages of common/uncommon nonBSA breeds and come up with messy lineages. I mean, people can do whatever they want with their scrolls, but I do wonder what goes through most peoples heads when they breed a bunch of messy/inbred mints and waterhorses straight to the AP. Are they genuinely trying to be helpful and just don't know or are they trolling?

I do use messy blacks to freeze as section dividers on my scroll, so I don't mind seeing them, but other messies just get tossed right back.

I love finding pretty even gens whether they be Mints or any other breed, so mass-breeds that are well bred don't bother me at all. This is when I really wish I had more hatchling slots! <3

I also breed for the AP, but it's mostly PB 2nd gens, Shimmerkin or Tinselkin arrows, BSAs and a few unique lineages, or test breedings. It does bother me when I see one of my pretty lines that has been messily bred or vamped, especially when I see people posting regrets about vamping eggs BEFORE they check the lineage. =(

I've also seen some of my babies incorporated into some very nice lineages too, and beautifully named so that keeps me breeding for the AP. <3

I pointed this thread out recently to a member who wanted to discuss mass breeds so I'm bringing it to the front page.

That being said, don't try to turn this into a vent/rant thread. Don't attack members or groups of members whose play style is different than yours.

I guess you can call me a mass breed changling, lol.

Back when the AP blocked the cave I HATED mass breedings because you could wait for hours/days for the cave to open back up.

But since the AP changed and no longer blocks the biomes, I quit hating them. In fact, for the last several months I've been participating in almost every posted effort. I always try to breed nice things like 2nd gen purebreds or 2nd gen BSA types or 2nd gens from holidays, spriters ALTs or metals.

What's funny tho, is that I don't really collect anything that gets mass bred unless it's a Red dragon. I prefer caveborns over bred eggs almost every time, and rarely keep anything bred that's over 2nd gen. Right now, I'm looking forward to all those Reds that were bred on the 4th.. I should find several keepers, and with luck some other good stuff along with them.

I feel like I just became a second class citizen.