GUYUGKUYG

Do mass breeds still deserve their hate?

I love walls of one breed. I like going trough them seeing if theres something in there i like , if its a Holiday fail, I'll keep it no matter what the breed.

The only thing i hate are walls of messy lineages.

I don't have many problems with walls, namely because I am usually already locked when they happen xd.png And I sometimes get some nice things from walls.

But I can see why people get annoyed with them. Like the Turpentine wall that's there at the moment, I know there's been other turpentine walls fairly recently (I know I'm wrong about this, but turp walls seem almost monthly to me...), so even though some of them are nice lineages, seeing all one breed multiple times is fairly irritating.

Edited by CharonDusk

I like searching those walls for Z codes. biggrin.gif

The only thing that bothers me a bit about the Turpentine walls is that most of the eggs have only one named parent.

Now that they're incuhatchable or even ER, they're probably also good for people who just want/need more dragons for trophy purposes. (Turpentine hatchlings are cute! wub.gif )

Not exactly a mass breed but it's pretty annoying that the Ap is full of almost instant hatch eggs but every single one of them has a messy lineage. I've been grabbing eggs to hatch and freeze and I've found more cb eggs than I have 2G or decently lineaged eggs. (I don't like to freeze caveborns)

I bred about half of my lumina hoard. Im tired of breeding so the remaining 200 or so never got bred. We'll see if this creates any wall. If not, ill be back in a few weeks to do the entire hoard.

I'm not a fan of mass-breeding, especially when I'm hunting for low-time eggs in the AP. I've never really understood the point of it, especially when it's a wall of commons. I have limited play time on DC lately and it's a bit disappointing to go to the AP and see a wall of one breed. Yes, they vanish quickly, but by then, my allotted play time is over. So, no, this isn't fun for me and I despise it quite a bit.

Now, before anyone throttles me for saying that, it's just my opinion based on how I play the game. Yours needn't be the same. wink.gif

I'm not a fan of mass-breeding, especially when I'm hunting for low-time eggs in the AP. I've never really understood the point of it, especially when it's a wall of commons. I have limited play time on DC lately and it's a bit disappointing to go to the AP and see a wall of one breed. Yes, they vanish quickly, but by then, my allotted play time is over. So, no, this isn't fun for me and I despise it quite a bit.

Now, before anyone throttles me for saying that, it's just my opinion based on how I play the game. Yours needn't be the same. wink.gif

Don't worry, everyone has their own opinion.

Your reasoning is exactly why I try to breed non-messy and varying breeds of dragons. And when I do breed messies (though they aren't ever too bad), it will always be useful dragons with BSAs... primarily Reds, Pinks and the Current Holly Contest Dragon (in this case Storms). And I avoid always breeding one breed at once, I try to do a few different to create a variety ^-^

I'm down with that reasoning! smile.gif

Also, just out of curiosity, how long does it take for a wall of one breed to "vanish" from the AP? I've noticed I can come back in about an hour or so and they're usually gone, but not always.

This may be an ignorant question, but I just haven't thought about it until now.

It is ridiculous, these walls of inbred, crappy lineaged common eggs with unnamed parents that block the Abandonded Cave, especially now when there are 4 - 6 new releases, depending on how long you have been here, and there are always nice players who take the new eggs and abandon them for players who have slow connections or may have not been aware of the event.

No one who blocks the cave with their monstrosities should feel proud about it, or have the nerve to brag about it like they do. They should be ashamed to create such a big inconvenience. It really has a chilling effect on gameplay.

It's just another one of those things where just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD do it.

I massbreed ONLY for the planned events... like the one tomorrow; Red Nose Day. I enjoy the interaction that goes with the events. Hunting for the dragons needed for the event is fun too. However, I do NOT breed messies.. I breed only 2nd gens to abandon, many of which will be purebred.

But the rest of the time, I concentrate on my own projects where all the eggs bred stay on my scroll... or breeding on request, which I do for free to help others with their projects.

I personally like mass breeds. A few minutes ago there was a lovely wall of mints that weren't "crappy inbreds".

And the parents are named. I haven't been on long I know, but I have never seen any messy lineaged mass breeds in the AP. I think the breeder should be proud. They have a lot of a type of dragon and they want to flood the AP with a wall of its kind. I personally think it's pretty awesome and I intend to do mass breeds some day of Nebulas. To me the AP look pretty all one color lol.

I like searching those walls for Z codes.  biggrin.gif

The only thing that bothers me a bit about the Turpentine walls is that most of the eggs have only one named parent.

Now that they're incuhatchable or even ER, they're probably also good for people who just want/need more dragons for trophy purposes. (Turpentine hatchlings are cute!  wub.gif )

So do I happy.gif

Edited by WaterDroplet

I think mass breeds are fun, both to participate in and to stumble upon. I disagree with breeding messies for the sake of sheer numbers (though I disagree with messy breeding in general), but if it's decent lineages then I think it's great, like the holiday-kin mass breeding that was held a while back.

Massbreeding I have mixed feelings on. When I first got into Dragon Cave I thought it was funny and cool that someone filled the AP with eggs, but when it happens too often I find myself rolling my eyes, getting annoyed, and leaving the site for a while.

The positive thing I have to say on it is that sometimes you can get really cool codes from the AP when this happens, or interesting lineages.

It's appreciated when someone has put time and effort into massbreeding nice things for everyone to have. Really--I've gotten so many nice things from massbreeding, it's ridiculous.

However, I must agree with a few others on this thread.

Though I don't know this from experience, I sympathize with those who have limited playtime on the computer, so they have to wait out all of the eggs in order to hunt some down and sometimes never get a chance to get anything they are looking for.

Secondly, while I appreciate ugly lineages and even collect them, sometimes mass breeding a bunch of messy eggs just to fill the AP feels--to put it bluntly--rude and a waste of time. Maybe some don't feel this way, and that's okay.

I tend to wait out the massbreeding if I realize it's like this anyway.

It is ridiculous, these walls of inbred, crappy lineaged common eggs with unnamed parents that block the Abandonded Cave, especially now when there are 4 - 6 new releases, depending on how long you have been here, and there are always nice players who take the new eggs and abandon them for players who have slow connections or may have not been aware of the event. 

No one who blocks the cave with their monstrosities should feel proud about it, or have the nerve to brag about it like they do. They should be ashamed to create such a big inconvenience. It really has a chilling effect on gameplay.

It's just another one of those things where just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD do it.

Amen. Friends of mine (and yours truly) spent hours hunting in the cave and dropping in the AP a LOT of new releases so everybody could enjoy, not just the fast catchers. I went to take a look yesterday and found out that there were a bunch of messy massbred thingies there blocking the access to the goodies. This is not very encouraging. Just sends the usual message "AP is for trash, do not try to contribute to it with anything".

Edited by SullenCat

They make it very hard to find anything, so that is very annoying, but they do make the eggs more ER, so that's a plus. Overall, I can deal with them, but I don't think people should breed so many dragons at one time. It totally blocks the cave.

I've gotten used to them, and I like picking through it trying to find messy eggs to freeze. Once I finish getting all the messies I need to freeze, I'll probably go back to finding them somewhat annoying xd.png

They make it very hard to find anything, so that is very annoying, but they do make the eggs more ER, so that's a plus. Overall, I can deal with them, but I don't think people should breed so many dragons at one time. It totally blocks the cave.

Nope. They do not make the eggs more ER. At all. What happens is, because people do not want to pick up the massbred messies, they stay there for hours. So they get lower time and everything in the queue behind the messies gets lower time as well, because they are waiting and waiting and waiting. There is no plus. So, if you are there, for example, at midnight, you can't get to the goodies. You go to sleep, someone else shows up at 5 AM, while you are sleeping, and they get those goodies. Just luck, induced by massbreeders. I wonder if that's intentional, if they plan on that.

Nope. They do not make the eggs more ER. At all. What happens is, because people do not want to pick up the massbred messies, they stay there for hours. So they get lower time and everything in the queue behind the messies gets lower time as well, because they are waiting and waiting and waiting. There is no plus. So, if you are there, for example, at midnight, you can't get to the goodies. You go to sleep, someone else shows up at 5 AM, while you are sleeping, and they get those goodies. Just luck, induced by massbreeders. I wonder if that's intentional, if they plan on that.

That's what I meant. I know they don't actually make the eggs ER, but it can be nice if a wall blocks the AP and afterwards there are piles of er eggs (:

That's what I meant. I know they don't actually make the eggs ER, but it can be nice if a wall blocks the AP and afterwards there are piles of er eggs (:

Maybe. O maybe not, depending when you log on and go the AP. You log on at midnight cave time, there's nothing in the AP but messy massbreds. Another player logs on at 4 AM cave time, someone else cleaned up the trash, and here they are, nice eggs to be picked up. Everything is relative, if you had log on at midnight, you were unlucky, if you'd log on at 4 AM, you were lucky. Now, why our luck should depend on the (perhaps intentional) whims of massbreeders, I do not know. And, again, I wonder if the massbreeders planned in advance, so they would be the lucky ones.

Maybe. O maybe not, depending when you log on and go the AP. You log on at midnight cave time, there's nothing in the AP but messy massbreds. Another player logs on at 4 AM cave time, someone else cleaned up the trash, and here they are, nice eggs to be picked up. Everything is relative, if you had log on at midnight, you were unlucky, if you'd log on at 4 AM, you were lucky. Now, why our luck should depend on the (perhaps intentional) whims of massbreeders, I do not know. And, again, I wonder if the massbreeders planned in advance, so they would be the lucky ones.

Or you log on at 12 AM to find nice low time eggs because of a massbreed earlier wink.gif

I don't think it's as sinister as you're making it out to be. Most people who mass breed either do it because they like breeding, want to show off how many dragons they have, or just want to see if they can do it. And even if they did plan it, the AP is way too fickle to predict so far in advance like that. Anything can change at any moment--plus, how can they guarantee there will be desirable eggs on any given day they decide to mass breed? Sure, I see things in there from time to time when I'm fishing around for something good, but since they're all snapped up before I can get my mouse over to them, I find it rather unrealistic one or two people are able to manipulate things to get the 'good eggs'.

Yet again, I have time to go and hunt in the AP and it's a solid wall of a breed I really don't care for. tongue.gif Lineage and such doesn't even matter to me all that much.

However this is getting a bit old for me. It's the 5th time this week.

Wouldn't mind a wall of Xenos, though. Heh. wink.gif

As someone who hunts CB eggs in the AP, they are a hindrance. It's frustrating for every egg I pick up to be from the same breeder. So no, I don't like them because I don't see a point in randomly breeding and sending eggs to the AP. To each their own though wink.gif

I hunt for CBs and occasionally pick up nice lineages. I don't mind people who mass breed useful stuff: BSAs, hybrids, avatars, uncommons, nice lineages, code babies...

AP eggs don't gain a day now, so we don't need as much AP fodder. As for the ratio argument - who here knows how they work?? TJ never explained.