Natayah

Managing PM Limits for Active Users

Greetings,

This is not a request for help (I know the features to use) nor is it a request for more PMs to be able to be saved in my Messaging Center (I was super thrilled when it went from 50 to 200 - And I know many users are just fine and space is valuable).

However, as someone who is now a bit more active, a bit more established, a bit more of a gifter, a decently sized group of friends and contacts - I sure end up with my PM Box FULL a lot more lately. And yes, its the holidays so more Happy Holiday Gifts and Wishes and returning players.

How do you manage your 200 Limit? What things do you do to keep your activities organized? I don't trade very much, so I can't imagine how the inboxes of super heavy traders and gifters and people who make various arrangements or run groups/threads manage to manage their message box.

Can you share some of your tips so I can try them? And maybe some other people as well?

I do not run any threads/groups, nor am I a super-active gifter, have to admit - I usually gift to friends and try to keep from gifting strangers, but I do have a gazillion of trades going on. xd.png Most of them are IOU deals, and all those messages used to take up a lot of space in my inbox/special folder.

There are several measures I've taken so far, to reduce the amount of stored messages:

1. I do not save any sent items, with very rare exceptions. I do track everything, however.

2. If the person I communicate with keeps all the quotes in the message, I keep the latest PM and delete the older ones.

3. Instead of keeping messages having to do with IOUs and any other promises in my folders, I simply save them to my computer and they are being stored there. Seems like a good alternative to me, because such PMs may end up staying in the inbox for a long time (when it comes to holiday IOUs for example, or Tinsel/Shimmer lists), and having them saved among your documents is not a bother at all on the other hand.

Can't think of anything else for now, but those must be most of the things I do about my PMs. Also, of course, I try to delete the messages I do not need anymore in my inbox often enough to keep things clean. :3

Edited by ZzelaBusya

I suppose I have three simultaneous approaches to this:

1) Any IOU agreements I make, I track off-site. That also includes what I call 'optional IOUs' - agreements where I've told someone I'd get something for them, but it's one-sided for the time being, i.e. they haven't given me anything for it.

2) Any Rare Trading Center related PMs I send I cross-post in the Rare Trading Center board (in other words, also off-site). Whenever I'm about to PM someone, I use that archive to check if I've PMed them before, since it's important to me not to treat people like some dispassionate robot. tongue.gif (...all of you that've gotten any "Hello again," PMs from me hopefully know I'm not automated by now. xd.png)

3) I regularly archive all my PMs to my gmail inbox as HTML; gmail does index the HTML attachments, so I can easy search them if I am struggling to find something else. \o/ Super helpful.

I do hang onto every PM in one way or another, though, received or sent. I used to delete them in my early Dragon Cave forum days (late 2008 to early to mid 2009), but I really, really regret that, since it's made a bunch of gifts I've gotten permanently untraceable. I had a greater faith in my ability to remember things then than I have now. Live and learn.

...I guess everything I've said boils down to "forget the inbox on the forum, shove it somewhere with more space", doesn't it? laugh.gif *sighs at self*

Edited by pinkgothic

I lurk in the shadows and don't really delve into trades much, except for Departures or Take and Egg, Leave and Egg.

So uh, I guess I manage the space pretty well. XD People don't usually PM me except to occasionally comment on something in my signature or to ask me to sketch a concept. It's very rare that it happens. I'm not a cool kid

Edited by edwardelricfreak

I usually panic when I reach 75% full and then I carefully tidy up. I delete old gifting correspondence and if I need to keep information about trades or IOUs I keep them offsite (though I've gotten a bit lax, oh dear). If someone kept all the messages quoted, then I keep the most up-to-date one and delete the extra old ones. And finally, I Archive messages that have sentimental value to me that I don't want to lose.

There are several measures I've taken so far, to reduce the amount of stored messages:

1. I do not save any sent items, with very rare exceptions. I do track everything, however.

2. If the person I communicate with keeps all the quotes in the message, I keep the latest PM and delete the older ones.

3. Instead of keeping messages having to do with IOUs and any other promises in my folders, I simply save them to my computer and they are being stored there. Seems like a good alternative to me, because such PMs may end up staying in the inbox for a long time (when it comes to holiday IOUs for example, or Tinsel/Shimmer lists), and having them saved among your documents is not a bother at all on the other hand.

Can't think of anything else for now, but those must be most of the things I do about my PMs. Also, of course, I try to delete the messages I do not need anymore in my inbox often enough to keep things clean. :3

These, myself. Especially the saving only the most recent ones with quotes.

Also if I am chatting with someone, I copy and save to Word on my machine, as it is easier to read, and those chats are occasionally things I DO want to keep.

I try and copy trades in progress to my excel chart, too, so that I can see them all at once when I have space to breed. If I don't have time, I move them all to a folder and then archive THAT folder to my machine (as html pages, by the way - the csv option is - awful) - and then I can safely delete them in one go.

I suppose I have three simultaneous approaches to this:

1) Any IOU agreements I make, I track off-site. That also includes what I call 'optional IOUs' - agreements where I've told someone I'd get something for them, but it's one-sided for the time being, i.e. they haven't given me anything for it.

2) Any Rare Trading Center related PMs I send I cross-post in the Rare Trading Center board (in other words, also off-site). Whenever I'm about to PM someone, I use that archive to check if I've PMed them before, since it's important to me not to treat people like some dispassionate robot. tongue.gif (...all of you that've gotten any "Hello again," PMs from me hopefully know I'm not automated by now. xd.png)

3) I regularly archive all my PMs to my gmail inbox as HTML; gmail does index the HTML attachments, so I can easy search them if I am struggling to find something else. \o/ Super helpful.

I do hang onto every PM in one way or another, though, received or sent. I used to delete them in my early Dragon Cave forum days (late 2008 to early to mid 2009), but I really, really regret that, since it's made a bunch of gifts I've gotten permanently untraceable. I had a greater faith in my ability to remember things then than I have now. Live and learn.

...I guess everything I've said boils down to "forget the inbox on the forum, shove it somewhere with more space", doesn't it? laugh.gif *sighs at self*

really impressed and hoping I'll find my way to what you're doing...

And yes, I have to be grateful to so many people whose names are unfortunately forgotten, because of deleted PMS... sad.gif

Edited by lilysally

I periodically archive my PMs and then delete them. I tend to do the same as ZzelaBusya as well--which is why I keep all the quotes in PMs. X3 Any gift PMs (to or from) are deleted and I just keep a record of what I've received and what I've given.

Despite this, my inbox is usually 70% full. xd.png I always manage to fill it up somehow.