igloo9201

Swimming

First of all, I made this partially because I'm curious if anyone else loves to swim!

But also because I'm wondering how to be a stronger swimmer and how to hold my breath longer. Also, how do you dive to a depth of 35 feet without your ears exploding?! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

i used to love swimming as a kid and i actually took lessons and i got pretty okay with it but after my parents forced me to join a competitive swim team i lost all the enjoyment i used to have for it :I

i cant really give any tips since i wasnt that great myself and i cant hold my breath very long at all anyway ;u;

I love swimming. I'm no good, but it's fun. (Water gets in my nose and that's the end of me dry.gif)

I just really like being in water in general. biggrin.gif

I love to swim!~

Buuuttt no one ever takes me to a pool so compared to the others, I'm slow as heck.

I guess I enjoy it, but taking lessons isn't fun. Also, I'm really bad at it. I can't hold my breath for long, and the longer I stay afloat, the harder it is tI get air,

This. This is the thread for me. I love swimming so much.

Also to be stronger at this, practise everyday.

I do, and have practised every day for 2 hours a day for 6 years.

I've been swimming for most of my life, gone on multiple swim teams and did fairly well, but competitive swimming for the moment bores me. :/ So I've haven't swam for a while now. I definitely don't miss the water in my ears.

I do prefer relaxing and distance swimming over high-pace races.

Edited by Bacon_Strips

I love swimming, though I never do it as much as I should (and I have no excuse, I have a pool).

The holding your breath underwater thing, that takes practice. It's probably different for everyone, but I originally learned how to hold my breath for long periods by doing it in a non-swimming setting, in a comfortable position with no distractions. I'd find my pulse on my wrist and then take a deep breath and hold it, while concentrating on my pulse and trying to keep it calm and even.

Back when I was swimming multiple times a week, that technique led to me being about to hold my breath for just over 3 minutes, which meant I could swim the length of the pool and back in one breath.

Edited by Marie19R

I love swimming, though I never do it as much as I should (and I have no excuse, I have a pool).

The holding your breath underwater thing, that takes practice. It's probably different for everyone, but I originally learned how to hold my breath for long periods by doing it in a non-swimming setting, in a comfortable position with no distractions. I'd find my pulse on my wrist and then take a deep breath and hold it, while concentrating on my pulse and trying to keep it calm and even.

Back when I was swimming multiple times a week, that technique led to me being about to hold my breath for just over 3 minutes, which meant I could swim the length of the pool and back in one breath.

Cool tip! I'll have to try it out sometime!

And...wow. That's amazing. Three minutes and the entire length in one breath... You must be a really good swimmer...

That is pretty amazing, I can get 20 seconds out of water and 15 in. (Water pressure and such) But 3 minutes? I doubt I'll ever be able to hold it that long

That is pretty amazing, I can get 20 seconds out of water and 15 in. (Water pressure and such) But 3 minutes? I doubt I'll ever be able to hold it that long

I have similar problems with water pressure.

Out of water: a little under a minute

In the water: a whopping two seconds! (well, maybe a bit more, but still...)

I love to swim! I don't have any tips on holding your breath though, I lost a lot of my ability to hold my breath after I got really sick once and have never gotten it fully back.

Swimming is so much fun, I love to swim.

I like to dive, but I hate the water pressure as it gets deeper. I don't have much advice besides practice though.

First of all, I made this partially because I'm curious if anyone else loves to swim!

But also because I'm wondering how to be a stronger swimmer and how to hold my breath longer. Also, how do you dive to a depth of 35 feet without your ears exploding?! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Yay! A topic about swimming!

I love swimming (although it might not seem like that), and I've been swimming for about 7-8 years at one of the swim teams where I live. However, I'm not all that great at it (my times are...icky, IMO).

Re: your question about breath control, what helped me swim farther without taking too many breaths was to pace myself during practice (like in the breath control sets). Try "splitting up" the 25 yd/m into sections and take a breath at x spot. Basically, try practicing with breath control sets (start with a certain number of breaths, and gradually go down to zero). I've also noticed that if you kick faster, and pull more water in your stroke, it doesn't make one feel as if they're going to die.

First of all, wow it's col that so many other people love to swim!

Send, thanks for all of the tips! I'll try your advice. But yeah I have to be a really good swimmer. I've swam for a while but I'm not as strong as I should be. To ppass the SeaWorld swimming test; you have to swim 100 feet underwater in one breath! And dive to the veeeeeery bottom of the I think 35 ft show tank! 8O But thank you all for your advice.

I used to swim for a swim team and was pretty good at it (2nd fastest in my entire team of boys and girls).

Breathing control would be the best way to try and reach that depth goal without feeling like you're going to die. The 'ears exploding' though is about pressure, which you can't entirely do much about. The pressure of the water creates that effect on your ears as it affects the natural fluid inside your ears. It'll go away once you come back up, but by no means should you just shoot right back up from that depth (or any depth). Take it slow and rise back up naturally so you don't rupture an eardrum from the pressure change.

I like to swim but on my own. Where I live it gets very hot during the middle of summer. So, sometimes I like to hang out at the public pool or go swimming at my friend's house. Personally I don't like swimming classes. LOL

I'm aquaphobic (at least in water deeper than I can stand in with my head above the surface), and I cannot swim.

Showering, bathing, drinking water, getting splashed with water, etc. is totally fine, and being near or in pools as well as large bodies of water only effects me if I get too close for comfort, or go too far in (where my head no longer stays above the surface when I stand up straight). That's pretty much why I never learned to swim. I'd love to, since it looks like so much fun, but I'll never be able to if I can't get over this phobia.

Edited by Wahya

Also, how do you dive to a depth of 35 feet without your ears exploding?! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Earplugs, perhaps??

I'm aquaphobic (at least in water deeper than I can stand in with my head above the surface), and I cannot swim.

Showering, bathing, drinking water, getting splashed with water, etc. is totally fine, and being near or in pools as well as large bodies of water only effects me if I get too close for comfort, or go too far in (where my head no longer stays above the surface when I stand up straight). That's pretty much why I never learned to swim. I'd love to, since it looks like so much fun, but I'll never be able to if I can't get over this phobia.

I had (and still kinda have) the Sam problem. It got mostly conquered when the teacher got frustrated and essentially shoved me in.

Earplugs, perhaps??

I've read before that it's best not to wear ear plugs when you're diving because of the pressure, IIRC. However, if I recall correctly, it's okay to do so if you're swimming, not diving down to a surface.

I like swimming, but I'm kinda of obsessively picky about where. Slight germaphobia when it comes to water. >.< I don't like swimming in lakes or oceans, but I don't like the artificiality of many pools. Luckily, my parents put in a saltwater pool and I'm happy with that. :3

I can only swim underwater, for some reason: I've never been able to do strokes on top of the water nor do I really like trying to.

Fall swimming ended today, and I'm still wondering whether I should be happy or sad that it did.