Marrionetta

Scroll Sort - Autosort Sub/Super Sort Parameters

The auto sort feature is great, I hate sorting by hand. I wish it did more things. All the things.

Ideally: Super-sort and sub-sorts, using logical arguments.

I imagine a setting to sort by x identifier, then y identifier within the parameters of x, and z within the parameters of x and y both.

So, for example, auto-sorting by breed, then by growth within a breed (hatchlings and adults separated), then by gender within growth within a breed (male and female adults and hatchlings separated) and then finally generation # within all the above. (This would be my ideal auto sort, incidentally.)

I don't know if the internal site mechanics allow for generational sorting.

As far as UI goes, I imagine categories of sorting listed, and the user assigning a number to give the options precedence over one another, then a fancy submit button.

I especially love the idea of doing it by breed and then generation... although perhaps in an option to deselect certain dragons, so they don't get moved would be awesome too

I have to agree on this one. I've never been able to complete a manual sort - with over 1000 dragons, it's just too time-consuming.

This would save so many people time and I believe at this point, with the number of in-cave breeds, the sorting system is outdated.

For scrolls with over 10 pages, I'm sure this would make such a difference.

I agree with this one. it's annoying to go through the pages.

with 6 pages and 100 dragons per page this would be a big help. I'd also like something that would allow you to scroll through each dragon's view page.

Example:

You click on your dragon where it shows it's description and if that's not the dragon you wanted just click the arrow up button '^' and it would load the dragon listed above it or click the down button for the dragon below it.

Perhaps it could be taken a step farther and if you were looking at Trihorns and you wanted to go back a page and look at a red dragon you would click the '<' button and it would go to the previous or next page depending on what dragon you wanted to find?

That way you wouldn't have to constantly hit 'back' or click 'dragons' which would bring you back to square one.

AS long as alt custom sort doesn't go away - I don't like any of the default sorts and prefer to do my own....

I am not against it at all, for those who would find it helpful -- as Fuzz says, as long as I can still use my alternate custom sort.

I don't see this as something I would ever use because I keep my Dorkfaces and my Thuweds and my Dusks separate from the rest of my dragons regardless of breed. I don't think sorting by generation would help me much, either, because I would want my even gens sorted separately from my steps and messies and such.

I still want a way to sort by lineage.... as in, TABS.

I'm not against it, but I'd never use it as things stand now. I'd only use it AFTER I had things sorted into their tabs.

AS long as alt custom sort doesn't go away - I don't like any of the default sorts and prefer to do my own....

This, pretty much. I don't like any of the default sorts either, and I likely wouldn't use this either, but I can recognize that others would use and like it.

I only use alt custom sort too, and constantly find myself wishing there were an automatic way to designate dragons by a label system or something that would make moving them into their proper places once I've named them automatic. What you are proposing sounds like a great system for those who use one of the auto-sort methods but they don't work for me. I sort my dragons first by those needing names, then a few particular ones, then all the Fifth Elements, then by breed, but not quite ordered by color. Except that I have particular "rules" within that. There's no auto-sort that works for me, but moving each dragon by hand takes ages.

I would need:

1. by label (such as Fifth_Element)

2. by breed (but I would want to be able to choose the order of breeds)

3. by generation

4. by gender

With an option to keep all the growing dragons at the top, and possibly all the unnamed adults as well.

Also, if I could drag groups of dragons into place, it would be a great help, rather than one at a time.

Keep in mind this is a separate proposal from the other sorting ideas out there. This is geared specifically toward players that do rely on custom sorts, and doesn't take into consideration other future changes like a tagging system or moving groups of dragons at the same time.

This sounds really, really helpful. I don't sort so I wouldn't be able to comment on how it would work for me but logically speaking I think this suggestion makes a great deal of sense.

I'd like to propose a sub-sort option that would allow us to sort by gender. This would work similar to the reverse sort and put eggs/hatchlings at the top options, in that it would work with any of the other sort options.

This option would be especially nice for breeds with dimorphism, so sprites can be categorized by gender/sprite image and not mixed up. I see this working better with scrolls that have a breed or rainbow sort.

I see no reason to oppose an idea like this.

I don't know if I would use it... or how many others would... but it might be a helpful tool.

Maybe I'd be wrong, but I don't think it would even be any more work to implement than any of the other sorting options we already have.

Also, if I could drag groups of dragons into place, it would be a great help, rather than one at a time.

With alternate custom sort, you can drag multiple dragons at a time, with shift- or ctrl-click to select the group or individuals. Unless I've misunderstood what you meant?

Didn't notice timestamp. Thanks, Sock.

Regarding the suggestion, I think it's a good one; I probably wouldn't use it myself as I'm happy with my scroll being a bit of a mess, but I can see its usefulness and if I ever did sort my scroll properly, having the range of options this gives would be great.

Edited by Alectrona

With alternate custom sort, you can drag multiple dragons at a time, with shift- or ctrl-click to select the group or individuals. Unless I've misunderstood what you meant?

That comment was before we had control/shift+click on sort.

Ooooh I would love to be able to sort by breed, then gender by breed (males and females of the same breed in one location but separated) and then by I would say status so that frozen hatchlings are above the adults? Like

F S1 Frz

F S2 Frz

F Adult

M S1 Frz

M S2 Frz

M Adult

Without having to sit there for hours sorting it by hand. even when moving multiple dragons in one go it gets confusing real fast. For me at least :3

I do love the new multiple-drag feature, but it would be better if you could do a more specific base sort before having to manually do everything. I now have over 1500 dragons, and I am thankful I started sorting far earlier than now. If I tried to do it now, I would probably just cry and give up. laugh.gif

It would be great to be able to sort by different parameters.

I do love the new multiple-drag feature, but it would be better if you could do a more specific base sort before having to manually do everything. I now have over 1500 dragons, and I am thankful I started sorting far earlier than now. If I tried to do it now, I would probably just cry and give up. laugh.gif

It would be great to be able to sort by different parameters.

Yeah, I hit 1500 not too long ago as well, and when I started sorting I only had about 750-1000 dragons. I am not really sure at this point. And I get it sorted, but then I get lazy or busy and I can't do it on my iPad, so it HAS to be when I have computer time (and then for a while the mouse on my laptop was just completely derpy and wouldn't let me do it either), but being able to set parameters (like, Generation THEN Breed THEN Name) would just make me ecstatic.

OMG, yes please! My OCD nature thens to annoy me when a see a couple of males/females then a lone female/male before continuing along! this is one of the reasons why I don't like the rainbow option, as it completed gets be chewing my nails.