LADYDRAGONSKEEPER

Holiday Food and Fun Discussion

Oh, this season, I love the rice cakes like puto, suman, and bibingka! tongue.gif Yum!

Let's see now. I should be digging into the food in Noche Buena. I wonder if anyone knows about queso de bola (cheese ball). I never had it. It is expensive and a lot of people buy it. Some rumours say that it is not really very delicious though. ohmy.gif

It might depend on the coutry, but queso de bola is not expensive here. Quite the opposite actually. Maybe there are different kinds of cheese that are known by that name though. The one I've eaten was ok, but nothing special.

We don't have Thanksgiving or anything similar here, so Christmas/New Year is when my family gets together. In my area it's common to eat lombardy cabbage (purple cabbage?) for Christmas lunch but we never have it as a whole dish, just as a side dish to add a bit to whatever we're eating. We also have a bit of more expensive embutidos (I haven't been able to find the English word for it, so I'll put a wikipedia link). We also eat a fish-pudding but that's not traditional. We just eat it because we like it and it's fun to decorate it with different vegetables and huevo hilado (apparently it's called Angel hair?).

The best part is the dessert: turrón and marzipans and polvorones. And 12 grapes right before the new year.

My family's from China, thus the reason I don't know much about Thanksgiving or Christmas food. We never really celebrate it. Although, we DO eat Mooncakes at the Mid-Autumn festival, zongzi at the dragonboat festival and sweet green rice balls o Tomb Sweeping Day or "Cold Food Day", when only cold food is served. It's also somewhat of a tradition for us, at least for my family, to eat crab ojn the Mid-Autumn festival holiday period.

When is Thanksgiving anyway? tongue.gif Our family don't celebrate that too. We're also from China but currently in the Philippines.

When is Thanksgiving anyway? tongue.gif Our family don't celebrate that too. We're also from China but currently in the Philippines.

In the US, Thanksgiving is the last Thursday in November, so the actual date is different from year to year.

I know that the Canadian Thanksgiving takes place in October, but I don't know exactly when in October.

Hey! Another Chinese person! Hi-five!

I suddenly remembered that we always got Christmas cookies back when I lived in England. Though I doubt that really counts...

On Christmas Day I go to my local catholic church to take part in a beautiful mass like I would on any normal Sunday. After the festivities, I head to one of my aunt's or uncle's houses to spend time together with my family and exchange gifts and gratitude.

But of course, this is all after we shovel five feet of snow off our driveway.

Edited by Bacon_Strips

My grandmother on my mom's side always makes this amazing soup that we have before Christmas dinner. Actually, before any holiday dinner! It's so good that it's become a tradition and my mom and aunt are even making it now, too.

Hey! Another Chinese person! Hi-five!

I suddenly remembered that we always got Christmas cookies back when I lived in England. Though I doubt that really counts...

biggrin.gif *hi-fives back*

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

Back when I was around grade school, we always celebrate the Christmas holidays with Noche Buena. With baken prawns with butter, mashed potatoes, leche flan, etc. Now, since my relatives in the father side are coming and visiting us since high school up to present, we celebrate it with hot pot.