Shibadruid

Survival of the Youngest

<OOC: Sniped. Give me a mo. Okay, done.>

user posted image

Rale Rock stayed put. If he came any closer, the hatchling might go berserk. The only way he could reach him was with words. However, before he could try, another hatchling came up, a black one.

"H-how will he heal h-himself, then? He-he's...bleeding," Rale pointed out. At the same time, he wondered how the other hatchling could speak so smoothly without any problems.

Edited by Dream_Dragon

user posted image

The hatchling curled up into an defensive stance as the other two talked. His fear wasn't as great as before, but it still lingered. The sparks weren't as intense as before, but still lingered. Maddening thoughts crossed the scared hatchling's mind.

What are they going to do with me? Are they planning to hurt me? They don't sound like they are... Maybe they're trying to help? I don't know.... I'm not sure I can even speak with them....

Madlia shrugged, and thought about it while she chewed on another raspberry. How would we p-plant a bush, she asked, and wouldn't it t-take a long t-time? I didn't s-see this one c-change, so it would b-be almost f-forever to grow a new one. As soon as she finished, Madlia looked around in an attempt to answer Sparkly's question. I-I don't know. I hatched j-just about when you did. A-all I know is that we need foood and w-water, and that I'm starting to feel c-cold. Madlia noted that at least half of her stuttering was being caused by her chattering teeth now. Even though the sun was out, it was chilly, and the trees were somewhat bare of leaves. Even the ones that were still there were reddish and brownish. Madlia decided to go over and try to get another drink of water, hoping that be now she'd have better control over her body. Sadly, she quickly found out that even if she did, it was not enough to get a good drink from the stream. Spluttering, she stood back up and looked around for somebody else to talk to.

user posted image

Sparkly Scaler trotted after Madlia and looked over to the other side of the stream as the Canopy hatchling drank.

"Think we can jump over this?" she muttered, referring to the stream. She dipped a hoof in and hurriedly took it back out as the freezing temperatures of the fast-flowing water bit into her hoof.

"It wouldn't b-be pleasant if w-we fell in, th-though," Sparkly added.

Edited by Dream_Dragon

Madlia shrugged, and replied, I d-don't think so, and I d-don't want to find out. I t-think we should get the o-others to come out and find more foood. Madlia walked back towards the entrance to the cave, slipping slightly on the mud near the stream, and called out to the extent that her tiny lungs could, H-hey, everybody! We n-need to go find foood! F-follow me! Madlia turned around, hoping that the hatchlings would follow, and proudly led the way towards the forest. Or at least, she would have had she not slipped immediately and lost all grace that she thought she had.

user posted image

Sparkly Scaler smiled good-humourously as Madlia slipped yet again. She went over to her and nudged her gently.

"You okay?" she asked. She couldn't help Madlia up, unfortunately. She didn't have paws.

~~~

user posted image

Rale Rock looked over to the cave entrance as some hatchling called out something about finding food. He could do with some food. However, he couldn't just leave the Electric hatchling like this. He glanced back at the black hatchling, waiting for his reply, if he had any suggestions.

Edited by Dream_Dragon

Tenebris

"I know that he may not be able to heal himself." Tenebris said. "However, if we do not allow him to calm down, he shall just hurt himself more."

Looking back at the sparking dragon, he watched it to make sure it wouldn't run off and star harming itself again.

user posted image

The pink hatchling dusted himself off. "Y-yeah... I guess i'm okay." He wasn't exactly sure how or what happend, but he decided that he needed to introduce himself to the dragon who had saved him. "U-uhh... i'm T-t... Tahbaki..." He introduced himself, swelling with delight as he figured out his new name. He liked the way it felt on his tongue. "Tahbaki!" He was about to jump up and down with delight, but he was afraid that he'd get so excited and lose control that he'd float away again.

Madlia picked herself back up with as much grace as she could muster (which happened to be none at all), and replied, yeah, I t-think so. Looking behind herself, she was dismayed to find that none of the hatchlings were following her yet. Sighing, she sat down heavily, and began to wait. She wanted to get things done, not just sit and wait for the others to get their acts together!

user posted image

The hatchling sniffed as he dragged his tail over to his head. He proceeded to curl it around his snout and over to his other side.

"I'm fine..." he whispered under his breath. "I'm just scared, n-not that it matters..." The hatchling brought his limbs closer to his body. His eyes drifted away from the strangers as his sparks began to settle. He didn't want to be touched, but he wasn't too afraid of the others anymore.

user posted image

Sparkly Scaler looked at Madlia and back at the cave.

"Ex-excuse me," she murmured, trotting forward and into the cave. She peered inside, catching sight of a pale red hatchling along with a yellow hatchling.

"Hello?" she said, cautiously stepping inside the cave, taking care not to bump into any more eggs.

~~~

user posted image

Rale Rock considered this.

"Yes," he agreed, "I s-suppose you're r-right." He fell silent. He ignored a soft, sudden rumble from his stomach. He was curious as to how the outside world looked like, but he was not budging until this hatchling calmed down and trusted him.

Edited by Dream_Dragon

user posted image

Refrar grinned happily. "N...Nice. Nice name." The harvest hatchling heard a new voice and turned to see a... purple dragon. So many interesting colors! "H-Hi..!" She stuttered out, moving a little to be by Tahbaki's side since she wasn't sure what this new creature wanted. "Oh.. my n-name... is Refrar." She stretched forward a bit, but then returned to a sitting position.

user posted image

The hatchling's fear had finally dispersed. He was no longer breathing heavily and his eyes no longer had a wild look to them. He was now staring up at the hatchlings in front of him. Although he was much calmer than before, the sparks still emitted from his body. They weren't as dangerous now as plentiful as before, but they were still there. The hatchling was still unpredictable and could run at any moment. He did not trust the other males, but he wasn't afraid of them either. He was merely cautious of them; wary of any sudden movements or harsh words. The hatchling kept a steady silence as he watched the other two males with a mindful gaze.

user posted image

Sparkly Scaler smiled as the yellow hatchling responded.

"I'm Sparkly Scaler," she replied. Her gaze drifted over to the pale red hatchling beside Refrar.

"Wh-what about you?"

~~~

user posted image

Rale Rock gazed back at the hatchling as it moved and stared at them. Was this it? Was the hatchling finally beginning to trust them? He wanted to say something but he was unsure if the hatchling had actually calmed down or if he was just waiting to see if either of them would do something. He tilted his head slightly.

Edited by Dream_Dragon

user posted image

Tahbaki just blinked at the new visitor. They had never met before- and he had wished that he had payed more attention to her. "Tahbaki" He replied simply, gazing at the purple hatchling with intrest. "..Umm... n-nice name."

user posted image

Refrar grinned at the new hatchling's name. "I l-like... it too." Moving up towards the purple hatchling, she tripped over a broken egg and tumbled right into Sparkly Scaler. "Oh.. S-sorry!" Picking herself up, she then tried to help the purple hatchling up. "Ma..Maybe we should... get out of h-here, it's... kind..kinda.. crowded with all t-the.. eggs."

user posted image

"Th-thanks!" replied Sparkly, smiling, before Refrar collided into her, causing her to fall over. Dazed, she got up slowly.

"It-it's fine," she stuttered, shaking her head to clear it.

"My...my friend, Madlia, wants to search for food. D-do you want to fo-follow us?" Sparkly asked hopefully, not noticing that she had just called Madlia as her new friend.

Edited by Dream_Dragon

user posted image

Noelle was startled when the hatchling suddenly curled up into her. She quickly jumped back, and let out a defensive growl. What was she doing?? Was this normal?? It didn't feel normal, and she didn't like being so close to another living thing for some reason. She hadn't felt anything as warm as her in a long time. Some time ago, there used to be warmth on all sides of her, but it disappeared one day. That's how she knew her name. Voices spoke to her through the darkness. She grew accustomed to the cold, and now that the warmth had returned, she hated it. Noelle glared at the hatchling, hoping to make it simply go away. Then, something inside her made her think differently. No. No solitude... groups are safer I think... I need a group. Friends. But I don't like friends... She thought. Her instincts stronger than her feelings, she sighed and bumped her nose into the hatchling as a friendly gesture. She couldn't keep away the feeling that she was missing something though. Foo....d. She thought. That's it! "Do....you want food? To hunt?" She asked her.

user posted image

Kummaline had been sitting in his egg for some time now; chatter from the first few hatchlings had woken him up a while ago. Over the past hour, Kumma had noticed that the space around him seemed to be a little more cramped than usual. He was used to all the free space that was available to him, plus it was a familiar place to him; it was about five foot lengths wide and six paw lengths high. The space between him and the hard part had a thick consistency, and was quite unusual. As Kummaline reminisced, he began to feel short of breath and panicked. Kummaline wiggled and clawed and kicked at the shell around him in an attempt to break it open, but then common sense set in.

If I don't calm down, then all the dragons will see me and get me he thought to himself.

Kumma slowed down when he cracked a hole in the shell.

I hope nobody heard or saw me....

Edited by LegendOfKorraFan

user posted image~~>user posted image

Malina panicked, the light hurt! "Mother! Father!" She wailed, "Where are you! Come back!" She pleaded with the darkness and light, begging for the familiar warmth, the soothing rhythmic bump, bump, bump, of her mother's 'heart.'

"I don't like the light father! Make it stop come back!" She begged for the adult that had long since gone. Then, the air was knocked out of her- something or one had some crashing into her, shattering all the darkness everything she knew as the light attacked her. It really hurt now- really filled her eyes, Malina squeezed them shut trying to combat the attacking unbeatable enemy. When her eyes closed however, she didn't see darkness or light, she decided that was how she liked it before she tripped over something.

The 'something' broken under her paws, it had to be delicate to break because Malina knew she was 'small.' Her eyes instinctively snapped open to see what new attacker had tried to put her in harm's way, however to the young hatchling's delight, the light no longer hurt. No, now it illuminated curious objects, including the 'something' she had tripped over, jagged edges of a shell/wall, similar to the wall she had emerged from, it filled with vibrant color.

A laugh escaped her throat, it was a strange foreign sound and feeling to Malina yet she loved it. Her happiness was quickly cut short as she took a step forward, managing to clumsily trip over a rock. Now, if she weren't so small or clumsy, it wouldn't have been that bad, she probably would have just stumbled, tripped at the worst. However she was small even for a hatchling and she barely could stand on her own paws, so the small hatchling was sent rolling forward. She crashed into the wall, then flipped on her back. The impact hurt and probably caused a few bruises, she wailed again, this time outside of her egg and out in the open. No one came to comfort her for awhile so she stopped.

Edited by mipuppy1

user posted image

Suddenly, something clicked in Salta's mind. Mommy. Mommy was warm. And nice. This isn't mommy! I want mommy back! She jerked up and ran away, back to her egg. "No! I don't wanna do anything with you! You aren't mommy!" Salta stuck her head into her broken eggshell, hoping that it would make her parents come back. But then she stated getting hungry. She didn't like that, just like she didn't like the other dragon not being her mommy. "Okay, we can find some food..." That was the muffled second reply. Though mommy was important, survival was higher up on the list.

user posted image

Noelle smiled at the her new friend, after she heard the faint reply. She began walking, wobbly, to the entrance of the cave. She hoped that she would follow behind. She felt, for some reason, that she REALLY needed a group. Her instincts were stronger than ever. While walking, she saw a little...Soulpeace? Yes. Soulpeace, that had just hatched, same as her. She walked up to it confidently. "We're...going to hunt for food. Do you want to come?" She asked her. She also noticed two other dragons near them. Two more females, a Harvest dragon, and a Horse dragon. She called over to them as well. "We're going to hunt for food! You can come with us if you want to!" She pointed at her friend, and the Soulpeace, just assuming that she would come also. She was beginning to feel... more confident, and in control. She liked being in control. Confidence builds..leadership, leadership builds control, and control brings safety. She was proud of herself for being so smart as to piece that together. Hopefully correctly.

Edited by skiddajane

user posted image

Kummaline took a deep breath before pressing both of his hind legs against the already cracking egg shell. His leg muscles weren't very developed at all, but he was a determined dragon, and he wanted out. Now. Kumma pressed, and pressed, and pressed until...

Pop!

user posted image

Kummaline tumbled out of his egg, his green appendages covered in a thick white goop. Kumma shook most of it off, but that only made him cold. I slight breeze had rolled in, and it chilled his bones down to the very marrow inside them. Kumma lifted his head, closed his eyes, and sniffed the air around him. It had a curious smell to it, unlike anything he had smelled prior to now.

Something smells good....

Kumma turned his head to the pile of eggs sitting in a pile. The green appendages on his body been to wiggle, and his mouth started to water. He cautiously approached the eggs and began to sniff them, occasionally licking one of them.

They taste okay...

Edited by LegendOfKorraFan

user posted image

Malina watched quietly as a black hatchling popped out of his egg. He shook a weird white substance off his head, then lifted his head, closing his eyes. Malina watched curiously as the green 'fins' on his head wiggled. It was a funny motion. He was a curious hatchling. He got up and walked towards a pile of eggs, Malina wanted to talk to him but a blue and gray hatchling suddenly approached Malina. She offering her to go hunt for food with the others.

"Umm..." She mumbled quietly, getting used to her vocal cords, so this was how she 'communicated.'

"O-ok." She nodded, to show she approved. However, she quickly changed her mind when the blue/gray hatchling started making loud sudden sounds, it was harsh to Malina's ears and she was sure it was meant for her. It made her blood run cold with fear. Did she want to attack Malina? Quickly getting up, the young hatchling stumbled away, not quite wanting to die yet. She tripped on the some piece of egg she tripped on not to long ago and tripped into the black hatchling with green 'fins' she had been watching earlier.

"Sorry!" She squeaked, her knees stung as she pushed herself up and hid behind the egg the black hatchling had currently been sniffing(?)

"Please don't kill me. Please don't eat me." She begged to the black hatchling and the blue/gray one, she was scared. Malina didn't like this!

Edited by mipuppy1

user posted image

A growl came from the hatchling's stomach. Drool threatened to leak out of his mouth and a urge to consume nutrients overcame him. The hatchling licked his lips as he heard the same satisfying word spoken by multiple voices.

Food.

The hatchling didn't know what it meant, but he did know it was something good. He knew that he needed food. He knew that he wanted food, he craved it. But, there was a problem. The two strangers were still in front of him. He didn't trust them, but he wasn't scared of them.... at the moment. His eyes darted to the entrance of the cave and back to the strangers. He shifted his haunches and let his tail slide away from his muzzle. The sparks had stopped bouncing off the hatchling's body. If someone were to touch him, they wouldn't get shocked. However, being touched was the last thing the hatchling wanted. Keeping his gaze on the strangers, the hatchling waited for one of them to either speak or leave.