Riverwillows

"Happy Holidays" vs "Merry Christmas"

What Christians need to understand, is that they are the newbies on the block. For thousands of years before Christ, pagans have celebrated Yule, and other winter solstice festivals, Jews have celebrated Hanukkah, and Muslims have celebrated Ramadan. Christ is not "THE" reason for the season, He is only one of many reasons.

Therefore, it is only polite, that unless you know the person you are greeting is Christian, to say "Happy Holidays" because you are wishing them joy during this season REGARDLESS of what religion and holiday they observe.

Jesus preached tolerance, and kindness, generosity, and love. So say Merry Christmas to those you know and love, and Happy Holidays to everyone else. It's really what Jesus would do.

We all have a right to this season. It IS supposed to be all about love and joy, and humanity, right?? RIGHT???

Edited by Riverwillows

Actually, I would argue that it's not wrong to say [insert whatever specific seasonal greeting relates to what you personally celebrate], be it Christmas or something else.

Happy Holidays can be neutral, and I have no problems with people saying that!

But people shouldn't get offended when told Merry Christmas, or Happy Hanukka, etc.

That person is wishing you holiday greetings and happiness during a festive time of the year for them, and they are attempting to spread that to you in their greeting. I personally consider it rude to censorkip.gif about what somebody else greets you with no matter what it is unless they're doing so in a rude way.

Somebody says something to me in relation to a holiday I don't celebrate? That's fine! I'll just wish them the same in return.

What matters is the spirit behind the greeting--which in my experience is always just a general "Hey, it's a festive time of the year for me! I hope you have a happy time too!"--than the actual wording of the greeting.

First of all - I'm not particularly religious, just so you know where I come from.

So let's look at your post - I'd like to point out that the Ramadan is a whole month of fasting followed by the "sugar festival" which wanders through the year. Ramadan can (and will) wander through the seasons, because the Muslim use a moon-calendar. For example Ramadan 2013 was in July. I'm not sure a Muslim would wish anyone a "Happy Ramadan" like a Christian wouldn't wish anyone a "Happy Lend". Yes it's the most important Muslim tradition when it comes to recurring "festivities" but it has nothing to do with Christams, Winter Solstice or anything close. So it really has no place in your list of "Winter festivals" for several reasons. (BTW Muslims have been around far less long than Christains.)

Anyway, I do wish people "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays" depending on my mood and the time MC at Christmas Eve/Day HH (or rather the German equivalent of "Frohe Festtage /Frohes Fest" in the days before, not because of some thoughts about anyone's sensitivities.

I grew up in a Christian region, even if I say "Frohes Fest" EVERYONE around here assumes I'm talking about Christmas anyway and you know what? No one minds.

With the inclusion of Christmas into our everyday Western culture, it (and the name) has lost a lot of the religious connotation. (Jewish author Neil Gaiman has buggered his dad as a child until they got a Christmas tree going with their Hannukah candelabar, it didn't mean he suddenly believed in Jesus as his Messiah.)

If someone wishes me a "Happy Christmas" it's just the norm. If someone wishes me "Happy Hannukah" I know that it's obviously the festival he celebrates and I will answer in kind. Any of those wishes simply convey the wish for well-being in a time that is special to that person for whatever reason. Am I offended that he or she has the "wrong reasons"? No, I'm happy and grateful for the spirit in which the wishes were given.

So for me it's actually the other way around: IF I know someone celebrates a certain holiday and has religious feelings about it I will wish them "Happy Hannukah", "Happy Kwanza", etc.. If I'm not sure, I'll wish the person a "Merry Christmas", because that's what I'm celebrating and so it's my default.

I really hope no one is offended, because the FSM knows I don't intend to do that and so far no one I've met in RL has been.

Edited for typos.

Edited by herk

I only wrote this because there seems to be a very defensive movement on the part of many Christians, that to say "Happy Holidays" as opposed to "Merry Christmas" is something for them to get upset about, as it seems to diminish the importance they place on the celebration of Jesus' birth.

There are statements by Christians saying things like "...I'm gonna say Merry Christmas, cause that's the REAL reason for the season and fardles anyone who doesn't believe" and stuff like that. With the idea and attitude that any other holiday at this time is insignificant and false.

Which I feel is totally unnecessary, and misses the whole point of what this season means to everyone. Or is supposed to that is.

Edited by Riverwillows

I will accept greetings as they are offered. Happy Christmas, happy Diwali, happy Hanukkah, Merry Yule. The greeting is made for the holiday of the person greeting me, not saying that I should subscribe to it. If someone wishes me a Happy Birthday I would be a bit startled if they meant their own rather than mine, but other than that - I accept a greeting in the spirit in which it is offered. It's nice to be wished a happy something.

I am not Christian, by the way. I "do" Christmas - but only in the sense of the tree, gifts and singing carols cos I like them and our choir does them.

I'm paegin, and I celebrate Christmas the same way, Fuzz. I also love singing Christmas Carols, even the religious ones, because they are beautiful, and the basic meaning behind them is one of universal hope and joy. There really isn't a wrong way to celebrate this season, in my opinion. It belongs to everyone.

It IS ridiculous when people argue that THEIR greeting is the only "appropriate" one and whatnot, I do agree with that.

But I really don't think there's a problem with using any greeting in particular as long as it's not done in a nasty way.

I don't think what holidays you celebrate and what greetings you use should matter. It usually doesn't anyway as a lot of people under non christian beliefs celebrate these holidays. Many people of eastern cultures such as Shinto and Buddhism also celebrate Christmas.

What I don't agree with is people erecting giant lit up crosses on what looks like public property during the holidays. It's not offensive, just unnecessary. Technically it can be illegal, but in a small religious town, the city doesn't seem to mind...

I only wrote this because there seems to be a very defensive movement on the part of many Christians, that to say "Happy Holidays" as opposed to "Merry Christmas" is something for them to get upset about, as it seems to diminish the importance they place on the celebration of Jesus' birth.

There are statements by Christians saying things like "...I'm gonna say Merry Christmas, cause that's the REAL reason for the season and fardles anyone who doesn't believe" and stuff like that. With the idea and attitude that any other holiday at this time is insignificant and false.

Which I feel is totally unnecessary, and misses the whole point of what this season means to everyone. Or is supposed to that is.

If you meant it that way I totally agree. If people want to shove down their religion down anyone else's throat they should go and censorkip.gif themselves.

But I really don't know ANYONE who would use "Merry Christams" that way.

If I met someone I would have a LOT of joy explaining to them the occupying of religious places/dates through younger religions and how Jesus was probably born in August or whatever but they put Christmas on the Winter Solstice to "trick" the Pageans into celebrating Christmas. And how Christmas trees are a pagean symbol. And how the cross is basically the same as Yggdrasil. And how Loki was a nice guy before Christians said "Wait? Fire? Lying? He's Satan." And invented all sorts of new horrible stories about him. How Easter comes from the spring goddess Astarte, eggs and bunnies are fertility symbols... Oh how much fun comparing religions is biggrin.gif

In our society, Christmas is less focused on religious beliefs and more on "Santa" and marketing. You can celebrate Christmas without necessarily being Catholic. It's proven every year.

For me, there is no problem with "Happy Holidays" and "Merry Christmas". I don't walk down a city street and greet everyone who walks by with a "Merry Christmas". I could only see myself doing so around close family and friends, who would definitely not be offended if I wasn't using a religious-neutral phrase.

I could just as easily go up to anyone who says "Oh my god!" and "Jesus Christ!" and tell them how deeply offended I am at them. But what does that accomplish?

In our society, Christmas is less focused on religious beliefs and more on "Santa" and marketing. You can celebrate Christmas without necessarily being Catholic. It's proven every year.

For me, there is no problem with "Happy Holidays" and "Merry Christmas". I don't walk down a city street and greet everyone who walks by with a "Merry Christmas". I could only see myself doing so around close family and friends, who would definitely not be offended if I wasn't using a religious-neutral phrase.

I could just as easily go up to anyone who says "Oh my god!" and "Jesus Christ!" and tell them how deeply offended I am at them. But what does that accomplish?

Well said.

I also, am not big on religion, but I enjoy saying "Merry Christmas". I will also say "Happy Holidays" and "Season's Greetings!" It's just a friendly way to wishing someone a happy holiday season no matter what you believe. I don't really celebrate the holiday for religious beliefs, as someone else mentioned, I celebrate it for the season itself. Carols, decorating the tree, buying gifts for friends and family, and doing good deeds.

Now, it bothers me when people get offended when someone says, "Merry Christmas" and they choose to snub their nose because they don't believe in it, but no matter how you say it, you're wishing someone a joyful season. It's not like they're telling you to go read the bible.

No matter what anyone else greets me with I always accept it with a smile, rather then be a Grinch.

"Excuse me but your use of a term that could be perceived as religious in a conversation with me highly offends me, as you should have known that I am not of that religion and will not tolerate any behaviors from those around me that do not conform exactly to my spritual beliefs." :I

Basically yeah I think it's pretty silly to get offended by something like that.

"Excuse me but your use of a term that could be perceived as religious in a conversation with me highly offends me, as you should have known that I am not of that religion and will not tolerate any behaviors from those around me that do not conform exactly to my spritual beliefs."

Crumbs - that is rather ruder than saying Happy Christmas to a Muslim, if you ask me blink.gif

Not that I have EVER met a Muslim who minded - and I have met many. I do know two who would rather not receive Christmas cards as they don't find it appropriate to display them - but that is rather different.

That was kind of the point, yeah.

I know, I'm awful.

Yup. Loved it xd.png

It IS the kind of reaction you get from some people, though. And I think it is totally uncalled for.

I've never been one of those, Do it this way kind of people. However, I will still wish people Merry Christmas because that is what I believe in. You are saying your holiday with the intentions of wishing merriment on another, no reason for anyone to get offended or taken aback.

You'll get a Merry Christmas off me most likely. If you start kicking up a fuss then I'll ignore your ungrateful behind - the sentiment behind my statement is that you enjoy the holiday, not that I think you should start taking the bread and wine at the altar. If you can't appreciate the sentiment of good-will then I'm not going to waste time on your whinging.

Whenever this argument pops up, I'm kinda glad that Christmas in my language would literally translate as "winterfest".

I'm an atheist, I grew up in a nonreligious family, so when I was a kid, the meaning of Christmas as a religious holiday didn't catch on to me. /shrugs

In real life conversations, here (Latvia) "happy holidays" is the standard wording you'll get, and it's used for pretty much everything, Christmas + New Year, local independence day, Easter holidays, Midsummer, whatever.

If it's for Christmas + New year, I'll most likely say "happy holidays" to an English speaker, because hey, that's more than one holiday. ;D

Edited by lightbird

I'm atheist and I don't care if someone says Merry Christmas. In fact I sometimes use it too, out of habit. Christmas isn't a religious holiday any longer - even though some people still celebrate it as such - and therefore there is nothing religious about "Merry Christmas". So both "Happy Holidays" and "Merry Christmas" are okay

"Excuse me but your use of a term that could be perceived as religious in a conversation with me highly offends me, as you should have known that I am not of that religion and will not tolerate any behaviors from those around me that do not conform exactly to my spritual beliefs." :I

Basically yeah I think it's pretty silly to get offended by something like that.

xd.png Yeah. "I won't tolerate you trying to be intolerant." Absurd imeoo

I personally didn't care for the longest while. I would say merry Christmas because that's what I heard.

But at this point I think I do sort of say it in protest of happy holidays.

I know most people mean the same thing with either one, but I've encountered enough people who say the latter in just the right way that it sounds spiteful and a rebellion against the former that I can't help but feel just the slightest bit inclined to retaliate in kind. I probably shouldn't, but I really can't help it much

You'll get a Merry Christmas off me most likely. If you start kicking up a fuss then I'll ignore your ungrateful behind - the sentiment behind my statement is that you enjoy the holiday, not that I think you should start taking the bread and wine at the altar. If you can't appreciate the sentiment of good-will then I'm not going to waste time on your whinging.

This sums up my feelings pretty well.

I generally say 'happy holidays', since I end up celebrating a variety of things across the winter season. That's resulted in a few unpleasant conversations in the past, though most people can handle not hearing a 'merry christmas'.

Christmas isn't a religious holiday any longer - even though some people still celebrate it as such

Woah woah woah. You've got to be kidding me.

While it's true that in some "First World" countries Christmas isn't generally focused about religion as it is with marketing to suit the masses, Christmas around the world is generally observed as a religious holiday. There are no snowflakes, no Santa Clauses, no reindeer, and no fruitcake. It's about religion.

I am astounded as to how you were even able to come up with such a ridiculous assertion.

Edited by Bacon_Strips

Woah woah woah. You've got to be kidding me.

While it's true that in some "First World" countries Christmas isn't generally focused about religion as it is with marketing to suit the masses, Christmas around the world is generally observed as a religious holiday. There are no snowflakes, no Santa Clauses, no reindeer, and no fruitcake. It's about religion.

I am astounded as to how you were even able to come up with such a ridiculous assertion.

Christmas isn't just a religious holiday, though. I think that's what the OP was trying to say. And claiming that only "first world" countries are the only ones that celebrate it as a family holiday as opposed to a purely religious one is not only based in zero fact, but is down right offensive. The only place where I can imagine every single person only viewing it as a religious holiday would be Vatican City.

Christmas is both a religious holiday and a non-religious tradition. You can celebrate it either way or a mix of both.

I'm astounded as to why you believe something that was originally based on the traditions of many different religions and adapted into christianity is only considered to be a Christian religious holiday.

As for the topic at hand, at work, I don't say anything unless the Customer says it. I've had people get angry at me for saying "Merry Christmas" and i've had people angry at me saying "Happy Holidays" (more people get angry at the later). However, if the customer says it first and I reply, no problems.

Edited by MysticTiger

And claiming that only "first world" countries are the only ones that celebrate it as a family holiday as opposed to a purely religious one is not only based in zero fact, but is down right offensive. The only place where I can imagine every single person only viewing it as a religious holiday would be Vatican City.

I never suggested both extremes. "Generally" is a key word. I do understand that not all FW countries celebrate it purely as a family one, and vice versa.

I'm astounded as to why you believe something that was originally based on the traditions of many different religions and adapted into christianity is only consisted to be a Christian religious holiday.

Where did I state that?