TJ09

2013-10-23 - Lineage View Reverted

I actually preferred the change as it allowed more dragons to be viewed on one lineage without scrolling and made it a lot more visually pleasing to me personally but I know a lot of people didn't and i'm sure that had a lot to do with your decision to change it back. I'm not angry, but I won't say that i'm not a little miffed.

This has been around site discussion for ages, dunno how you all missed it. In even gen lineages above 4th gen, all the CB dragons had their names moved to the right of their images, which halved the height of the lineage view at the expense of uniformity; the arrangement of the lineages no longer looked consistent, especially for things like checkers, where spacing is so important. Maybe some other lineage-lovers can provide screenies of how it looked?

I didn't even realize there was a problem. laugh.gif

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay! Thanks so much! Although I ended up getting sorta used to the new lineage view, this way is SO much better.

May I ask why the lineage isn't rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise? I mean, I feel that the lineages get longer vertically faster than they do horizontally that why isn't the presentation rotated and have the lineage go down?

May I ask why the lineage isn't rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise? I mean, I feel that the lineages get longer vertically faster than they do horizontally that why isn't the presentation rotated and have the lineage go down?

That is one of the potential contemplated changes, but otherwise lineage has always been egg to the left and ancestors to the right.

I didn't mind the alteration to the lineage view, but whatever. Thank you for the announcement about this much debated topic, TJ. It's appreciated.

Edited by Draketeeth

I'm confused. what changes were made that people didn't like and thus got reverted?

For you and others who are asking, read this post and a few right after it.

edited - Just realized that that post is quoted right at the top of this page!

Edited by purplehaze

oooh, the thing were the dragon pics decreased in size the longer the lineage. funnily enough i didn't really notice the name move. I mean thinking back on it, i can remembered the names being to the right but for actually noticing and say "hey that's different" yeah... I'm not all that observant, lol.

I'm confused. what changes were made that people didn't like and thus got reverted?

Only 5th gen or higher even gen lineages are affected。

Oh, I barely noticed and nearly forgot about the change until this announcement.

That trademark. That's some sort of an omen...

When the lineage view was first changed it I hated it and wanted it back the way it was. Then I got used to the new way and now I like the new way better, and I wish he hadn't changed it back, lol. I guess you can't please all the people all the time.

But since it seems like the majority wanted the old view back, it's great that TJ listened to their concerns and reverted it. I'm glad we have an admin that cares. smile.gif

What about a midpoint and allow the user to determine how they want lineages to be displayed when viewed through Dragoncave?

I think the features that could be used would be:

1) Determine if lineages displayed go from right to left ( caveborns on right, progeny left) or go from top down (ancestors at the top, progeny at the bottom)

2) Where should names be displayed or even at all (Personally, I would like to remove names once the lineages hit a certain point since the size of the boxes are dependent on the length of the names, maybe truncate the names on the lineage page).

I don't know if there are other features that one want to be added but I think that's all.

What about a midpoint and allow the user to determine how they want lineages to be displayed when viewed through Dragoncave?

I think the features that could be used would be:

1) Determine if lineages displayed go from right to left ( caveborns on right, progeny left) or go from top down (ancestors at the top, progeny at the bottom)

2) Where should names be displayed or even at all (Personally, I would like to remove names once the lineages hit a certain point since the size of the boxes are dependent on the length of the names, maybe truncate the names on the lineage page).

I don't know if there are other features that one want to be added but I think that's all.

This has been discussed in the Suggestions Forum for several months, since the changes were made, and options for different settings is part of the discussion. But nothing is near completion, and the Stair lineages reverted to the old format within a few days of the initial changes. Those of us with Even Gens really felt abandoned and unloved, but until TJ works it out, we have our Evens Gen restored at last, and it is hoped that the classic view will remain an option for those of us who have put so much work into our lineages.

Again, thank you, TJ! <3

HURRAH!!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I'm am officially 1000 times happier about the upcoming Halloween dragons, now that I feel comfortable about building and continuing Even-Gen lineages once more! O JOY!

Thanks, TJ, and thanks, other players who got on board with discussing the matter. It is SO much appreciated!

<3 <3 <3

ETA: I *do* hope that, even in the event of eventual future changes, we will have the option to keep the classic view. If not, I'll be really disappointed -- if we *can,* then I'll be so very excited about brainstorming some new views and seeing what people come up with!

Edited by Kelkelen

I never noticed this, and I personally don't see much difference. However, I'm glad others got what they wished!

Hm... Thanks... But what the difference?)

To people who don't care a lot about lineages, not much. But to Even Geners who spent years building lineages based on the old view, a lot.

Hm... Thanks... But what the difference?)

ADP made a post answering this earlier in the thread:

This has been around site discussion for ages, dunno how you all missed it. In even gen lineages above 4th gen, all the CB dragons had their names moved to the right of their images, which halved the height of the lineage view at the expense of uniformity; the arrangement of the lineages no longer looked consistent, especially for things like checkers, where spacing is so important. Maybe some other lineage-lovers can provide screenies of how it looked?

Like tikigurl91 said, it was a big deal to many people who bred higher-gen EG projects and the majority hated it. (Personally I liked it but I'm glad he changed it to the way it used to be, because so many people were against it.)

edit: Oh hey, I found a thing. This is what lineages Gen5+ looked like for a couple of months. But this is a mockup I made a while ago, so there's no names:

user posted image

Edited by Dimar