angelicdragonpuppy

Allow dead dragons to be 'renamed'

This is the reason we apparently went to dead dragons no longer losing names. Except it seems to be causing more problems than it solves. sad.gif

You can't keep a name for an abandoned/released dragon, why for a dead one? None of them remain on the player's scroll.

That's why I suggested to enable the name stealing TJ has announced for inactive scrolls before, instead of removing the names completely smile.gif So if you want to give a name that is on a dead dragon to one of your dragons, the name would be stolen from the dead one. As long as no one wants the name, it would stay on the dead dragon, no matter how long ago it was killed, to preserve the lineages.

If name removal/change worked only on dead dragons without offspring, wouldn't that make a good compromise, since lineages wouldn't be wrecked?

Not so sure about this suggestion. Though it seems to solve the problem we're discussing, DC has always treated all dragons equally. There has never been a difference between cb and lineaged, or dragons with and without offspring. If something like this was added, it would mean that dragons with offspring are special in a way, so different rules apply to them. I'm not sure I like this.

Even if this goes nowhere, I'd love to see clarity on what actually happens to the names after death, added to the site's help section.

+1

I would at least like the option of removing names from dead dragons I own(ed). Like the ancestors of these two. I'd forgotten about names "sticking" when I killed them, and neither did me the courtesy of becoming a Zombie, so now those names are "lost" - to me and anyone else. :/

Yeah, previous owners should be able to reclaim names regardless of anything else, at least while the tombstones are visible on their scrolls.

It would make sense for the owner to be able to chip the name off of the headstone.

The dragon is gone and the name should be too.

Okay, you've changed my mind. Though allowing you to retain a cool name would be fun, it makes sense that you wouldn't want to name a new dragon after a beloved deceased one. Also, why did the dragon even die if it has such an awesome name?

(I know, vampires/zombies, but still; protect your dragons!)

I do not breed, unless for gifting and, even then, quite low gens. So I'm the most ignorant person on the subject and forgive me if I'm asking a dumb question: what would be the impact on the people that own dragons that descend from those dead ones if their names are removed?

I do not breed, unless for gifting and, even then, quite low gens. So I'm the most ignorant person on the subject and forgive me if I'm asking a dumb question: what would be the impact on the people that own dragons that descend from those dead ones if their names are removed?

As far as I know they would just end up with lineages with deadies in there. I THINK things changed after the Santa business.... I have some with tombstones in there...

Support for both deleting the name by choice or auto-wiping names on tombstones - it makes sense that the name would vanish along with the dead dragon, with the exception of Zombies, since these remain on a player's scroll.

Edited by stagazer_7

I can't believe I come back after nearly a year and this simple issue is still not resolved or even addressed in a way that people notice.

I believe in general name stealing for all the naming issues. The only thing I'm not sure about is when someone can be considered inactive. I think a year would be good though.

After forgetting to remove the name from a deadline Tinsel, I decided I needed to revive this thread.

Some way to remove the name from dead dragons - perhaps only while they're visible as tomstones? Although I'd think it better for any dead dragon to have its name wiped, only by its owner of course.

I don't think dead dragons should be renamable, just replace the greyed-out 'rename' option with 'remove name' or something, with a warning that you will never be able to put the name back and it will simply be released.

After forgetting to remove the name from a deadline Tinsel, I decided I needed to revive this thread.

Some way to remove the name from dead dragons - perhaps only while they're visible as tomstones? Although I'd think it better for any dead dragon to have its name wiped, only by its owner of course.

I don't think dead dragons should be renamable, just replace the greyed-out 'rename' option with 'remove name' or something, with a warning that you will never be able to put the name back and it will simply be released.

I have felt the same pain, and i ahve to agree with all of that, name wiping would be a boon for sure!

YES - to the ability of renaming dragons so that scroll owners can recycle names and correct accidental mistakes like naming something for fodder temporarily and killing dragon before removing name, mostly with deadline, so essentially the stuck wrong name ruins entire lineage and there is no way to fix it so you gotta start over from scratch.

NO - to removing dead dragons name altogether. As you said people might be interested in lineage aesthetic where those names are involved and even if the dragon is dead, at least having the same name salvages some of the loss.

YES - to limited ability of removing YOUR dead Dragon name as long as it doesn't mean entire system will become generic and all dead dragons names will be wiped.

While I don't think inactive players should have dragon names removed, I also don't think that dead dragons should keep their names. I actually never noticed this until I looked at this forum, but I still think that it should be solved. Also, maybe the OP should make a poll? Or we could all collectively bomb TJ with requests to solve this problem...

How in Oblivion has this not been done yet?! Jeez.

100% support, though. I sometimes forget to wipe the names of my dragons that I intend to kill at some point, and then they get stuck floating around in the nether when I want them to disappear for good.

Yes please! I have a couple of deadlines I forgot to rename and the temp names I gave them are ugly. D:

I would prefer a wipe of all dead and inactive user names but this could be a start. I thoroughly enjoyed looking for unique real word names but now they only free up if someone decides to release the name...I kinda gave up naming because of this change.

YES - to the ability of renaming dragons so that scroll owners can recycle names and correct accidental mistakes like naming something for fodder temporarily and killing dragon before removing name, mostly with deadline, so essentially the stuck wrong name ruins entire lineage and there is no way to fix it so you gotta start over from scratch.

NO - to removing dead dragons name altogether. As you said people might be interested in lineage aesthetic where those names are involved and even if the dragon is dead, at least having the same name salvages some of the loss.

YES - to limited ability of removing YOUR dead Dragon name as long as it doesn't mean entire system will become generic and all dead dragons names will be wiped.

I'm with this post smile.gif (I want a couple of names back sad.gif I expected when the tombstones disappeared - but not any more.)

What if dead dragons without offspring were completely wiped from the system while those with offspring have the ability for an owner to rename them? Since the system is keeping them anyway.

I'm not sure how I feel about any dragon being automatically wiped.

After all, those dragons may feature in progeny pages and be dividers of some kind, or other such things.

Perhaps CB no-offspring dead dragons could have their names wiped around when their tombstone disappears, and you can perform the action on any dead dragon you own (including CB tombstones that haven't disappeared yet).

I'm thinking that perhaps there should be a wait time, say 1 day after death? The 'unname' option could be greyed out, with something like 'it's too soon.' as the description.

Or perhaps there shouldn't be a wait time.

But there should definitely be an option to unnamed dead dragons, both for the purposes of deadlines and for releasing names.

I also support a mass-unnamed-dead-dragons button, but that's a slightly different matter.

I don't support being able to re name them but I do suppose being able to remove their name-

Could make you feel guilty like killing.

''You remove the dragons name from its tomb, leaving it to be forgotten''

I think I'd prefer a solution where every scroll has a personal graveyard that is linked on the scroll page. There, you should be able to see the tombstones of all your dead dragons, so you can unname and/or rename your beloved dead dragons, if only to add an RIP.

Of course, many of these dead dragons have been deleted in the past, and we'd need to start from that point onward.

Um...it doesn't really bother me...but it kind of seems odd to rename a dragon who is dead and has descendants...but I like that one person's idea.

Personally, dead is dead. remove the name and delete it from the system. I really don't understand the point of remembering a dead dragon, it's code and a name. All that takes up space and for what? What difference does it really make to a lineage if a dragon is dead? It isn't your dragon, why do you get to decide if it keeps it's name?