angelicdragonpuppy

Allow dead dragons to be 'renamed'

I was unaware until recently that this was even an issue, and it seems silly that the issue exists at all. Dead dragons should either have the option to change their names, or duplicates of dead dragon names should be allowed.

Edited by Wahya

Deadlines with names could be fun. I absolutely agree that we need an option to rename or remove a name from a dead dragon.

Deadlines with names could be fun. I absolutely agree that we need an option to rename or remove a name from a dead dragon.

But there are no "deadlines" any more - just lineages with holes in them.

Still, a huge lineage of tombstones with epitaphs would be a hoot.

I support this whole-heartedly. I understand the reasons behind the change from dead dragons automatically losing their names to not. But honestly, I think making tombstones in lineages clickable and taking us to the dead dragon's view page as a result is a much better fix, and that's already the case. As such, I see no reason dead dragons shouldn't be renamed/unnamed/names automatically wiped again.

We can change letters on real-life tombstones (yeah um, ignore the fact it's not cheap) so why we can't do it in case of pixels? Support.

Just wanting to toss in that there is a dragon, in my stabby stabby make zombies zomg this hour craze, I accidentally killed a dragon I never intended. SO I really want to replace him, and I really really really want to reuse that name because its very special. And so I hope this change will be considered in the near future so I can free up the names that are special to me.

I'm sure more than a few of us made this error in the Halloween madness not realizing that dead dragons names don't change because many of us don't intentionally kill our dragons or deal with dead dragons on an ongoing basis.

Edited by natayah

Yeah, I just noticed this. I feel bad for killing my dragons in an attempt to get zombies, but it sucks that I can't reuse their names anymore too. sad.gif

Completely support.

Of course the best way around this would be to allow multiple dragons to have the same name. Each dragon has it's own unique code, why do names have to be unique as well? Since we all find ways around that rule anyway by adding prefixes, suffixes and other such nonsense. If I remember correctly it's been a few years since this topic was brought up and now that dead dragons 1) don't disappear and 2) don't loose their names, it's even more relevant.

Dead dragons' names need SOME way to be reclaimed by people with living dragons. Having dead dragons keep their names forever and thus keep them out of rotation forever is just plain stupid.

It is essentially a loophole that allows people to intentionally lock potentially-saught after names out of everyone's reach for eternity.

To demonstrate the point, I just killed off a hatchling carrying a Thuwed name for a red nebula. Yes, I'm well-aware that TJ has ways to bypass the current mechanics, "make an exception" and nuke the name off this dead thing to pave way for his own real deal Thuwed, but the same can't be said for those who have their own project name taken and killed off; to them the name is lost forever even if the person doing it go inactive for ten years.

Also...

Of course the best way around this would be to allow multiple dragons to have the same name. Each dragon has it's own unique code, why do names have to be unique as well? Since we all find ways around that rule anyway by adding prefixes, suffixes and other such nonsense. If I remember correctly it's been a few years since this topic was brought up and now that dead dragons 1) don't disappear and 2) don't loose their names, it's even more relevant.

Wrong thread.

Support! I killed a dragon that misgendered for my project and did not know dragons did not get deleted anymore. Unfortunately I had given that dragon the project name, which I now cannot give to a correctly gendered sibling. Even if this did not get implemented, could it please be added to the FAQ that dragons do not get deleted?

Pretty simple request. With Halloween coming up, I enjoy giving zombie fodder names that'll make cute little tombstone epithets if they fail, but right now there is no way to remove those names once the dragon dies--and thus they can't be reused. I've also heard of people killing their dragons and unwittingly losing those names forever in the process. >___<

To keep people from locking up new names on dead dragons, just change the usual "rename" function to "remove name" on dead non-zombie dragons. Please? ^^u

Support. Would also support having dead non-zombies automatically lose their names (perhaps when the tombstone vanishes from the scroll in 2 weeks?)

Support. Would also support having dead non-zombies automatically lose their names (perhaps when the tombstone vanishes from the scroll in 2 weeks?)

That is actually perfect.

please go back to dead things losing their names after x period of time. Not just zombies but plenty of other dragons are killed for deadlines or such and then players want the name back. As often as it pops up in Help, it is obviously an issue that no one really cares for.

If the dragon is dead it does not need to forever keep a name from use.

This seems like a great idea. Though I haven't had any of my dragons die yet, I'd like to see this as an option.

There has been change! I just got a series of names back that I lost earlier this year, from hatchlings with no descendants.

However, I would hate to see named tombstones in lineages lose their names - https://dragcave.net/lineage/UBcxs.

I disagree. the dragon no longer exists on your scroll, you have no control of that name. the dragon is gone and the name should be too. As long as duplicate names do not exist, dead dragons should not be able to hold a space long after they've lost all record of their existence. Keep the code if you must keep some record of dead lineages, not names.

I disagree.  the dragon no longer exists on your scroll, you have no control of that name. the dragon is gone and the name should be too.  As long as duplicate names do not exist, dead dragons should not be able to hold a space long after they've lost all record of their existence.  Keep the code if you must keep some record of dead lineages, not names.

Regardless, there has been a change. I wanted to reuse the names on the dead hatchlings and have checked on them several times since they died in early May. The names were unavailable as recently as September, but i was able to put them on nameholders this morning! biggrin.gif

Edited to add: Here is the post where I eulogized my lost babies, https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showt...dpost&p=8776093. some of their names are included in the post, and here are the new holders for those names:

https://dragcave.net/lineage/7NKkI - Carmen Santiago, intended for a Carmine Wyvern

https://dragcave.net/lineage/2vlFH - Diabolic Apple Biter, intended for a lineage project. This was the absolutely perfect name for the hatchling that died. Even if I get another alt from the pair, I'll never match the code of the original.

https://dragcave.net/lineage/Nvrxj - Babblia - I don't have the info on her line, so the reference for the name is gone.

https://dragcave.net/lineage/ykryE - The Green Martian - was originally for a Gemshard hatchling.

and https://dragcave.net/lineage/zIAsk - Vyrydys for a Vine.

Edited by dragongrrl

There are lineages out there that have been built on the fact that dead dragons don't lose their names anymore, so I'd hate to see dead dragons automatically losing their names after two weeks (or any set amount of time).

I'd be ok if the names could be stolen after a while, though. Lineages won't be destroyed then as long as the names on tombstones are unique enough. I hope that is the change that dragongrrl observed.

There are lineages out there that have been built on the fact that dead dragons don't lose their names anymore, so I'd hate to see dead dragons automatically losing their names after two weeks (or any set amount of time).

I'd be ok if the names could be stolen after a while, though. Lineages won't be destroyed then as long as the names on tombstones are unique enough. I hope that is the change that dragongrrl observed.

This is the reason we apparently went to dead dragons no longer losing names. Except it seems to be causing more problems than it solves. sad.gif

You can't keep a name for an abandoned/released dragon, why for a dead one? None of them remain on the player's scroll.

Though it is good that at least some names may be released now. That will help cut down on the problem. Wonder if it only applies to hatchlings or to any dragon without a lineage.

If name removal/change worked only on dead dragons without offspring, wouldn't that make a good compromise, since lineages wouldn't be wrecked?

If name removal/change worked only on dead dragons without offspring, wouldn't that make a good compromise, since lineages wouldn't be wrecked?

I like that.

I have four dragons that I have been breeding periodically with the intention of zombifying the four CBs eventually. However, I have had a lot of my Zombie attempts simply crumble, and I would prefer to see the names and codes remain with the lineage, even if the CBs die, https://dragcave.net/lineage/2dT0X and https://dragcave.net/lineage/HiLAs. If names on lineaged dragons disappear again, and my dragons don't zombify, my plans are worthless.

Even if this goes nowhere, I'd love to see clarity on what actually happens to the names after death, added to the site's help section.