angelicdragonpuppy

Allow dead dragons to be 'renamed'

Well I had named a dragon as a name-keeper for a lineage I was working on, then killed that dragon without renaming it because I still thought that the name would free up once the dead dragon was off my scroll. I had no idea that this rule had changed, and now my lineage, based on a quote, is missing a line. It makes no sense to me that while a scroll unattended for 6 months will lose all its names, a dragon that's dead and gone forever keeps its name. I am strongly of the opinion that if a person OR dragon is not making use of a name - either because they no longer play, or because the dragon's dead and NOT a zombie - then the name should be made available again.

I would like to see either dead (non-zombie) dragons have their names automatically put back into availability once their tombstone is off-scroll, or users given the option to erase a dead dragon's name completely, making it available once again to living dragons.

Edited by jerusha

I support this idea, because I've had renaming problems in the past with this.

Well I had named a dragon as a name-keeper for a lineage I was working on, then killed that dragon without renaming it because I still thought that the name would free up once the dead dragon was off my scroll. I had no idea that this rule had changed, and now my lineage, based on a quote, is missing a line. It makes no sense to me that while a scroll unattended for 6 months will lose all its names, a dragon that's dead and gone forever keeps its name. I am strongly of the opinion that if a person OR dragon is not making use of a name - either because they no longer play, or because the dragon's dead and NOT a zombie - then the name should be made available again.

I would like to see either dead (non-zombie) dragons have their names automatically put back into availability once their tombstone is off-scroll, or users given the option to erase a dead dragon's name completely, making it available once again to living dragons.

This^^

Very well said thumbs_up.png

I think that tombstone should have the 'remove name' option, and after it goes, the name would disappear

What, this is a thing? Really? Glad I haven't killed anything yet for Halloween.

I can't imagine it not being an overlooked issue of some sort. Seems like a very dumb thing to implement without telling anyone of the change. I definitely support it being reverted to how it was ASAP, or giving tombstones a renaming option.

Huh? When'd this happen? Is there any reason for it really? ono;

yeah the previous way it worked sounds much nicer to me unu

Huh? When'd this happen? Is there any reason for it really? ono;

yeah the previous way it worked sounds much nicer to me unu

it happened about a year ago. :-)

sometime late november, names stopped getting deleted from inactive scrolls, and from dead tombstones i heard the first reports in like february.

they also dont get deleted from burned scrolls anymore.

oh huh that's weird

i'm super inactive on the actual game so that's probably why i didnt notice haha ;u;

I wonder if this is an actual coding glitch? I don't see TJ making it occur himself. Maybe it was an unintended side effect from changing the coding for dead dragon lineages?

Gah, being able to rename (/remove) the names of dead dragons would be so helpful. I totally support the renaming over the auto-wipe; it makes things easier when it comes to zombies and gives more flexibility for the owner's decisions when it comes to the lineages and freeing names and such. It just makes sense to me.

Gah, being able to rename (/remove) the names of dead dragons would be so helpful. I totally support the renaming over the auto-wipe; it makes things easier when it comes to zombies and gives more flexibility for the owner's decisions when it comes to the lineages and freeing names and such. It just makes sense to me.

That does make more sense.

Although I would add that, personally, under current circumstances, I'd rather have codes that annoyed me sitting on tombstones for two weeks than have a name I wanted denied me forever...

I have to agree with those who say a dead dragon's name reverting to a code be the choice of the Dragon's owner.

I feel that allowing a user the option to remove the name only (so no renaming the dead dragon) would be best - as it allows names to be free again by choice {however, dead dragons on inactive scrolls should have their names auto-wiped like the living ones do}.

Definitely support this... I have a dead dragon whose name I didn't remove, simply because I didn't know it wouldn't vanish anymore. I've also seen deadlines with the dead ancestors named things like "TO BE KILLED" or "THIS WILL BE KILLED". Not good.

Besides: I always kinda liked the fact that zombies were the only dead dragons that could keep their name. Now they are no different from any really dead dragon.

If TJ decided to keep the lineage and the code, that's fine, but please make dead dragons lose their names again! Please restore the zombies' uniqueness!

Well, part of the problem is that not everyone knows names aren't disappearing when a dragon is killed. If this isn't something that can be changed or something users find themselves not wanting, we should at least add some kind of noticeable warning when killing dragons that it won't cause them to lose their names. Not all dragons killed are being killed for zombie fodder. o3o

Ahahaha . . . oh no. I didn't know names didn't disappear off a dragon's lineage. 0_o That's awkward. I'm officially in the corner now with people who name their dragons ""THIS WILL BE KILLED" expecting it to vanish and instead getting "To be deadlined - she dodged" in the lineage forever. Because I wanted anyone who grabbed one of my eggs to know the plans for the lineage and not be surprised.

That's not a polite thing to do to deadline lineages, or any dead dragon in general. The dragons need to lose their names and simply have "Deceased" under the tombstone just like is listed on the dragon's page when a parent is Deceased.

I support for pretty much the same reasons.

I name my zombie fodder quite literally, so "Adult Female Zombie Fodder One" etc. Now I've killed some of those names, next year I could completely lose my count :l

I have a question about the matter: If dead dragons are keeping their names for the lineages sake -or something like that- do CB dragons that don't have any children keep their names two weeks after dying too? Or is this situation for every named dead dragon? mellow.gif

I killed 5 of my dragons to make Zombies (they were all nicely named) and I didn't realize that if I didn't succeed on reviving them they wouldn't lose their names sleep.gif

I really hope we can claim dead dragons' names somehow...

Edit: I'm answering my question now. Sadly, even if it's a CB Dragon with no children, the name is not available.

Edited by dhorne

I agree with what several other people are saying: Just install an option to rename or remove the name off tombstones. I'm fine with Deadline dragons keeping their names (though it does seem extremely stupid that simply going inactive makes you lose all your names, whereas if you just killed everyone off, the names would ALWAYS BE YOURS).

I actually intentionally gave all of my zombie fodder names this year even though I knew the names would stay with them, partly so that I could have goofy named tombstones and partly because I don't give a darn if I never can use those names again. We want unique names? Fine. Here's an additional challenge to getting unique names, as dragons die and take the names with them. (Sorry, I think I'm slipping into sarcasm mode. Tends to happen while I'm typing at work.)

So yeah. Some level of alteration to this new rule (which is a really sucky change for the people who weren't aware of it, since there was no announcement as far as I know) seems to be in order, even if it's just adding the option to wipe a dead dragon's name.

Edited by LibbyLishly

Def would love to be able to reclaim the names of the dead especially since Halloween is passing us. Bring those names back to life ... or err... at least back from the dead??

Oh dear. sad.gif

I just came across this. I had three zombie-fails yesterday and would love to get the names back too. In past years, I reused the names to remember my dead dragons. sad.gif

I support this completely.

In fact, I support going back to just wiping the names, but it seems not everyone wants that.

I have no idea who thought it was a good idea to make it the way it is now. I like that we have a system that forces us to use unique names, but please make as many names as possible available to us. That means dead dragons, inactive and burned scrolls should lose their names!

I support this completely.

In fact, I support going back to just wiping the names, but it seems not everyone wants that.

I have no idea who thought it was a good idea to make it the way it is now. I like that we have a system that forces us to use unique names, but please make as many names as possible available to us. That means dead dragons, inactive and burned scrolls should lose their names!

Burned yes.

Inactive and dead - no. Dead should be able to be renamed, but shouldn't automatically lose their names - see what LibbyLishly said about deliberately giving zombie fodder fun names. We want to be able to keep weird names we carefully give to the about to be dead, no ?

Burned  yes.

Inactive and dead - no. Dead should be able to be renamed, but shouldn't automatically lose their names - see what LibbyLishly said about deliberately giving zombie fodder fun names. We want to be able to keep weird names we carefully give to the about to be dead, no ?

Just remember the names of dead dragons and reclaim them when they poof? I have zombie fodder funnies I want to reclaim, too, but that small number isn't enough to justify letting all dead dragons keep their names out of the system forever... (See: Santa, dead dragons on abandoned scrolls, etc etc). In a game with a one-name-one-dragon policy, keeping names permemantly tied to dead things on abandoned scrolls is dumb.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Just remember the names of dead dragons and reclaim them when they poof? I have zombie fodder funnies I want to reclaim, too, but that small number isn't enough to justify letting all dead dragons keep their names out of the system forever... (See: Santa, dead dragons on abandoned scrolls, etc etc). In a game with a one-name-one-dragon policy, keeping names permemantly tied to dead things on abandoned scrolls is dumb.

Dead things - well, OK, maybe.... I guess.... but - you cannot rename them once they are dead.

I have what WOULD HAVE BEEN a deadline lineage where I'd have named the two parents I killed off if I'd known the names would stick - and I would have wanted those names to stay... it would have made up a little bit for the line no longer being a proper deadline mad.gif

Edited by fuzzbucket

BAHAHA. I know this really isn't a laughing matter, but I've told TJ that this problem would happen with dead dragons keeping their names, and how since people don't know about it all those names will eventually be unusable in the future making naming dragons a lot harder than it should be with hundreds of names unavailable forever.

I certainly support this. And in all honesty, keeping information like this from players is highly unethical in my views. I have a suggestion topic up to change the Terms and Conditions since it is very dated especially when it comes to name recycling.

You can find the link in my signature~