RiverstarOfSkyclan

Terribleponies on Tumblr

So, one of my really old, really crappy pony OCs got on Terribleponies today. I just wanted to make a thread for people to talk about it.

Talk about past experiences on it, your opinions on it, whatever. I just want to get the word out about it.

In my opinion, it sucks. If your picture gets on it, you get hate round the clock.

Might sound horrible, but... honestly?

I find it amusing.

Now, obviously, I do not support actually going to the artist's page and hating on them, that's just absurdly rude and dumb. But nearly all the OCs I've seen there are honestly... just kind of painful to look at or just extremely absurd (and supposed to fit into canon, I am more forgiving of ones explicitly stated to be in AU situations). I actually submitted one of my own old designs there, but I haven't seen her posted... I'm almost a little disappointed, because it was pretty cringeworthy.

I liken it to the enjoyment of bad fanfic/written books/B-movies, myself-- yeah, I'm aware, it's probably someone's first effort, but chances are it's just going to be bad. Nearly everyone's first efforts are bad, and while they certainly don't deserve outright hate/flaming, sometimes it's worth a laugh or two, and might even be helpful if someone goes and kindly explains what's wrong/what could be improved.

Edited by Dr. Paine

terribleponies.tumblr.com

Let's see...

Emo OC...

Emo...

Emo...

Anime-ish...

Goth-ish, emo...

Emo...

Emo...

Emo...

Anime-ish...

Emo...

Emo...

Terrible emo-themed recolor...

Emo...

...more emo...

More anime-ish...

I'm beginning to see a pattern here.

Edited by Ælex

Might sound horrible, but... honestly?

I find it amusing.

Now, obviously, I do not support actually going to the artist's page and hating on them, that's just absurdly rude and dumb. But nearly all the OCs I've seen there are honestly... just kind of painful to look at or just extremely absurd (and supposed to fit into canon, I am more forgiving of ones explicitly stated to be in AU situations). I actually submitted one of my own old designs there, but I haven't seen her posted... I'm almost a little disappointed, because it was pretty cringeworthy.

I liken it to the enjoyment of bad fanfic/written books/B-movies, myself-- yeah, I'm aware, it's probably someone's first effort, but chances are it's just going to be bad. Nearly everyone's first efforts are bad, and while they certainly don't deserve outright hate/flaming, sometimes it's worth a laugh or two, and might even be helpful if someone goes and kindly explains what's wrong/what could be improved.

Basically this, as long as nobody directly attacks said artist I think that it's all in good jest and the people who run the tumblr don't mean any harm.

I don't know, I'm seeing some that are decent, it's just that the art and backstory are a little lacking. There's one picture on there that's basically a couple of regular-looking ponies with rainbow striped manes and a tiger orange pony. If that's terrible, then shouldn't Rainbow Dash be on there too? Obviously, if we were talking sparkledogs a rainbow tail would be a bit much, but rainbow hair is canon and does not make for a "terrible pony".

And on the reverse, some of the ponies on there are pretty awful.

Edited by Doomy

I think it's pretty mean, and not very funny. You've taken time to work on something for a show/story/whatever you enjoy, to contribute your own creativity and effort to it, for strangers to trash it? Things like that make you never want to try to draw/write/etc. again. It's not just someone saying "i'm not a fan" or constructively criticizing it. It's glorified ridicule and humiliation. I don't approve.

"Bad art" blogs, meh. Just because one person thinks an artwork is bad, it doesn't mean it really IS bad. Why not give constructive critique to an artist instead of talking about them behind their back and flat out saying "This is crap, hate teh 'artist' nao. The end"? Whining about eyes burning won't help anyone, but shows the blogger's immaturity instead. Besides, these are only personal opinions, not facts.

I saw some GREAT art on a bad art blog. You know why it was "bad"? The blogger disliked the idea of an anthropomorphised roller coaster, ignoring the fact how the entire concept was planned down to the smallest details and it actually made sense. "you know the art is really wow and such but the idea is weird so the art is bad" /facedesks so hard it hurts

Sunny side - the blogger is nice enough to remove your art if you ask him politely to do so.

Edited by Light Concorde

I don't know, I'm seeing some that are decent, it's just that the art and backstory are a little lacking. There's one picture on there that's basically a couple of regular-looking ponies with rainbow striped manes and a tiger orange pony. If that's terrible, then shouldn't Rainbow Dash be on there too? Obviously, if we were talking sparkledogs a rainbow tail would be a bit much, but rainbow hair is canon and does not make for a "terrible pony".

And on the reverse, some of the ponies on there are pretty awful.

Rainbow-maned ponies tend to be iffy, since... well, we've seen a grand total of two ponies with that kind of mane, Rainbow Dash and her dad/brother/some other family member; and nine times out of ten, a rainbow maned pony is going to be a pegasus who is as fast/faster than Rainbow Dash, and does their own super special Rainboom thing. If not directly related to her.

That's just playing copycat-- there's no real creativity or anything involved when you're doing that. (Now, I have seen some rainbow/rainbow-ish maned ponies who do it well. Incidentally, they've never appeared on Terrible Ponies xd.png)

Edited by Dr. Paine

I think it's a little mean to link directly to the artist's page...

Also just opens it up for them to bash.

That is one reason why I could never support a blog like this. Just because someones art may be bad doesn't mean you go around saying it like that or posting it without their permission either.

Also just opens it up for them to bash.

That is one reason why I could never support a blog like this. Just because someones art may be bad doesn't mean you go around saying it like that or posting it without their permission either.

The problem is that most of the "artists" tend to be asking for it with whiny comments, bad grammar and general, extensive showcasing of stupidity. On another note, we're calling out people obsessed with magical animated ponies, but not enough to actually put any effort in their work.

I think it's awful. I find some of the ponies terribly amusing, but that doesn't mean it's fair to the artist. I don't mind blogs like this that have people submit their OWN bad ponies, but I hate this kind. If I found one of my OCs on there I would be very upset. One of my friends on another forum found her beautiful pony on there and she felt really hurt. It's not fun to have people hating on your art. Not fun at all.

Ruh-roh, people are being silly and doing what they want with fan characters from a silly kid's show?! Clearly, they're doing it wrong. Let's tell them how to have fun properly.

Ruh-roh, people are being silly and doing what they want with fan characters from a silly kid's show?! Clearly, they're doing it wrong. Let's tell them how to have fun properly.

Silly? Making fun of people's art they worked hard on is NOT silly. It is rude. And it's not just a kid's show. Plenty of teens and adults watch it.

Silly? Making fun of people's art they worked hard on is NOT silly. It is rude. And it's not just a kid's show. Plenty of teens and adults watch it.

From how I read the post, I'm thinking Zovesta is criticising terribleponies on tumblr, not the fan ponies they mock; her point being there's no 'right way' to make a fan pony (since it's just 'silly fun' either way, which in turn isn't derogatory, just saying that it doesn't pertain to the real world), so there's no reason to mock anyone's attempts at a fan pony, and it's ridiculous to do so.

(Personally, I hate internet bullying and mobbing, so sites like these are not okay in my book.)

[ Belated edit: I made a typo. DX ]

Edited by pinkgothic

Yep that's how I took it as well. That it's silly that someone is taking the time to make fun of fan art (bad or otherwise) of a children's show (no matter how many adults like it, the target audience is children, as it always will be).

Making fun of grammar and ideas... it's like, some of these drawings might actually be by children (or like preteens, teens, whatever they're all children to me, in my old age of 23 wink.gif ) or people that really just don't have artistic skills but still want to express a character (no matter how cliched it is) they can relate to.

Again, I think it's one thing to put pics on the blog teasing around about peoples' characters, but linking to their pages is really promoting nastiness and bullying of the artist (even if they disguise it as "crediting the artist" there are other ways to do that). I think it's unfair and hurtful.

I mean yes, there are some truly bad ponies on there, but I don't think calling people out, bashing them, and being rude to them is going to help anything.

I think if people are going to criticize they should at least try to be helpful/constructive.

I do not think it is okay to make fun of people's art. If something looks hilariously bad to me, then that still doesn't give me any right to go and poke fun at it. If something is so amusing to me, I may giggle in private, but to go and openly post "haha, look at this pathetic art" on my blog? Not so much. Really, even if I think something looks bad, the person who made it may have made a real effort. I am not a super artist myself. I am trying to improve my drawing skills, but it's slow going. If I posted something online, and someone went "Psssh, look at that! It's rubbish! Clearly you didn't put any effort into it when it looks that bad! HAHAHA"- then yeah, that would be hurtful.

Edited by Nimrodel

Yeah, pinkgothic got it. It's not even that I find it silly to mock fan characters so much as I think it's just a load of bull lol. All it comes down to is having fun so who the hell even cares if you made a neon alicorn who is bffs with Twi. No. Seriously. Who cares? Only people who deem it worthy to throw a hissy fit or just be a jerk over someone else having a good time in a completely harm-free way. =P

The problem is that most of the "artists" tend to be asking for it with whiny comments, bad grammar and general, extensive showcasing of stupidity. On another note, we're calling out people obsessed with magical animated ponies, but not enough to actually put any effort in their work.

Bad grammar does not mean they are asking for it. Ever think some may be foreign and cannot use it very well? Not many people can use grammar correctly anymore due to them using auto correct and schools not wanting to teach spelling or do very little of it.

That does not equate to being able to bash them.

Couldn't be more accurate. They are just fan made creations and just because you can't shade and be the best pixel artist evar with it doesn't mean you should get that kind of treatment from anyone. I can't draw well at all. Digital or other wise.

Does that equate to the people on the internet being able to make fun of me, harass me, and bully me online?

No.

Edited by demonicvampiregirl

I find it very amusing. I have a pony blog and if my pony ended up on there, I wouldn't care. I like my pony and recognize other people might not. My opinion is what matters.

That being said, the hate is really annoying and stupid. Way to make people not feel good about themselves :/ A bit of critic is fine but outright hate is no good.

Someone's blatant-sarcasm-senses seem to be broken.

On another note, yes, I think bashing the creator is wrong, but posting the creation not. Also, it's CLEARLY obvious that there isn't any effort put into those OCs, so we can definitely scratch the cliche "art these people put effort into" phrase. They're 5-minute recolours with banal personalities and an overused past. I haven't seen any actual drawing on there other than bases or recolours.

They're 5-minute recolours with banal personalities and an overused past.

The real question is who even gives a censorkip.gif

The real question is who even gives a censorkip.gif

If proper critique is given it helps these kids improve. Harsh or not, if someone is using a stick instead of a fork when a fork is available won't you point it out?

Improve what? Having fun? If they set out to tell a really good story yeah, ok, give them critique. But if they're just making an oc for censorkip.gifs and giggles, I repeat: who even cares.

Edit: Censoring because the forums didn't.

Edited by Zovesta

I'm sorry (well, not really), but being "whiny" or having bad grammar or "being stupid" (which is an ableist slur I'd rather avoid) doesn't equate to someone asking to be mocked or wanting to feel bad about themselves. And just because the art doesn't look good to you doesn't mean they aren't putting effort into it. It doesn't even mean they have to put effort into it.

It's one thing to joke around with friends. It's even one thing to privately discuss art you and your friends don't like and that none of you have done. It's another to publicly post mocking words to someone's face and encouraging other people to do so as well.

It's one thing to give genuine constructive criticism to art. It's another to completely bash someone's art and then say you're in the right because they don't type to your standards.

I usually take things like this in jest (ED for example is just a troll site and I don't take it seriously), but when people's feelings are really getting hurt, when people are receiving mocking bad comments about something they did and posted for fun, when people are being made to feel bad about themselves, and then are told they were asking for it because you don't like the way they speak or type, I am absolutely not okay with that. It's not behavior I would allow here, and it's not something I'm going to encourage here. I would hope that none of our users would go out and treat others like this on other sites or in real life because it certainly wouldn't be allowed here.