Jazlindreal

Bronies

Bronies.. Yes or no?  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm a Brony! LOL! I think its cool when a guy is all into My Little Pony Friendship is Magic. Its either for girls or boys in my option. My favorite pony is Rarity. I know a few guys who are Bronies themselves. I can't wait for the next season of MLP that is coming up next month. I collect MLP toys/figures. I have all the three Ponies from Build a Bear and including myself. LOL

I personally don't really care what gender you are. But I do find it odd that guys like a show with such a strong anti-male message

I personally don't really care what gender you are. But I do find it odd that guys like a show with such a strong anti-male message

Anti-male message? What anti-male message? You obviously don't even watch the show. I watch it with my son, seen almost every episode...no anti-male messages at all.

Just because all the main protagonists are female, doesn't mean the show is anti-male.

I have seen every episode myself. The only male character that hasn't been total idiot is Spike (What's his face thar who's a whatsit married was okay, I guess)

There are tons of minor characters who are male. That doesn't make the show anti-male. In fact, gender hardly ever comes up in the stories. They are all about working together, playing fair, everyone is worthwhile, etc.

I do however, find it odd that someone who has watched every episode, is a male who has a problem with the show's male fans. Interesting.....

Edited by Riverwillows

Wasn't there a study recently published which showed that most people perceive a situation as "female dominated" when women/girls comprise only 20% of the sample?

I haven't seen MLP, but in my opinion just because something doesn't feature male characters, that doesn't mean it's anti-male. Besides, males DO dominate most forms of entertainment -- if one show features females, I say, good on that show! Girls need positive role models where the characters are competent, decisive and in control.

I never said anything about number of males, it.s oriented towards girls, the majority of characters are going to be female. But the majority of male characters are either idiots or jerks

"They're a bunch of socially awkard guys"

btw not all of us are guys. there are some girls. I'm not totally obsessed with the show, but I just like editing the bases and stuff.

The show's for all ages and gender . not just little girls.

(( isn't just sad I have more common sence than the haters of this show? ( and there probably older than me!))

so to all the haters,

user posted image

sorry.. I had to!

No...they aren't. Most of the males on the show are siblings of the protangonist, or shopkeepers, and often are helpful in helping the girls do what they need to. Not idiots or dummys at all.

I wonder what your own motivation is for trying to see this show negatively, especially if you have "seen every episode"??

And again, it's no more odd for a adult male to like this show, than it is for that same person to love similar morality shows, like Star Trek etc.

It's ok to dress up as a Klingon, behave like one, and speak nothing but a created language, but not ok to like a show that promotes kindness, generosity, and friendship? Not "manly" enough, I guess.

I actually went to a convention, and had a large plastic sword shoved in my face, and course guttural language yelled at me, simply because I bumped into a "Klingon". The guy then menaced me all around the convention...'in character' as an insulted Klingon. Oh, no that's not odd at all.

Edited by Riverwillows

I don't think it's a bad show

But let me give you some examples:

Bic Mac knows two words (which is actualky prettyy hilarious imo)

There's the two boys (the ones that follow Trixie around) who are idiots

And there's them threesome of censorkip.gif*s who make fun of Rainbow and her sonic rainboom

There are a lot of shopkeepers, buut most of them don't have a character and are just sort of there

Sigh. There are also lots of ditzy stupid girls on the series too. Twilight's brother isn't a dummy, nor are the Wonderbolts. I've seen an episode where Big Mac had a small speech. He's just reticent, not a talker. And Spike is a baby. He's going to act silly sometimes, but most of the time, he's pretty smart.

This is not anti-male.

Edited by Riverwillows

Hey, Bronies and Pegasisters -- if I wanted to watch one episode of "Friendship is Magic", just to get a sense of what it's like and what it's all about, which episode would you recommend? smile.gif

umm I would recommend ( the only actual episodes I watched and know all the lyrics of one song) is Season2 episode 25 and 26.

episode 25 "a canterlot wedding part one"

Episode 26 " a canterlot wedding part two

Well, there's just as many rude and mean mares as stallions. There are males who are Wonderbolts, therefore members of the greatest athletes. There are stallions who are rich, famous, and certainly not idiots. Big Mac is clearly intelligent and an incredibly important member of the family and farm. He's just quiet, because he doesn't waste words. He had a great speech in one episode (the one where the CMC did the newspaper, I believe). The female characters have good relationships with the stallions we see in the episodes.

Of course the main characters are female; target demographic. But that doesn't make it sexist. Should girls not like science fiction because of the way they're often portrayed in it? (I know River addressed that, but I wanted to empasize it.)

There's the Wonderbolt guy who thinks only of food

I remember Big Mac's speech now that you mention it

There are some pretty ditzy females, Trixie comes to mind

I really don't know what you mean by manly. I'm a socialmoutcast who's favorite colors are orange and pink. :/

On a completely seperate note, am I the only one who knew Twilight was going to be an akicorn from the second episode?

I don't like it personally because I don't usually like TV shows aimed toward people under 13 (no particular reason), I did like some of the older stuff when I was a bit younger

Edited by MasterWeavile898

And should it not be commendable for men to find noteworthy a show with female protagonists, that promote being kind and gentle and fair to everyone??

Again, no more strange than an adult dressing up as Batman or an elf, an homage to a fantasy show.

It is commendable, I just find it strange that, with our current culture, they do

Maybe our current culture needs to stop putting such strict gender roles on people, and then start accepting and attempting to understand instead of judging. It's vastly unlikely to happen, but that would make for a nicer world. sad.gif (Applies to many topics, not just bronies.)

Edit for word choice clarification

Edited by Dimar

I do however, find it odd that someone who has watched every episode, is a male who has a problem with the show's male fans. Interesting.....

I've watched it so I can hang around my sisters, they don't like to do stuff with me any more

I don't have a problem with male fans, I do think it's weird for someone who's thirty to watch MLP (I also find it strange for someone who's 15 to watch Pokemon, but I can't seem to stop :/)

I'm also not totally certain I'm male, but tha's something I'd rather not discuss here

EDIT: I agree Dimar, that doeen't change the fact that it's there and still affects things

And Riverwillows, I do kind of find that a bit weird, though IDK why... Hmm... *Hates having no reason*

Edited by MasterWeavile898

I'm almost 50. I like comics, manga, anime, dressing up for conventions, Sci Fi, collecting trading cards. Just because I'm female, this is ok?

Why does ANY kind of fandom have to have a specific gender/age demographic or it's considered nefarious in motivation or intent??

Why can't a universal message of hope, camaraderie, humanity, and kindness be for everyone to believe in?

BTW...did you know there is a very large group of male Military Bronies? They all find the message of universal friendship and hope refreshing from what they see and do daily.

Edited by Riverwillows

I'm almost 50. I like comics, manga, anime, dressing up for conventions, Sci Fi, collecting trading cards. Just because I'm female, this is ok?

Those are all things that I would consider adult-oriented, though it depends on the anime

I has nothing to do with gender, are you that sterdotyped to think that little blue triangle thing under my name defines how I think? Just because I'm male means nothing, I'm a bit insulted that you seem to think it does

why is this world so flippin' sexist?! It shouldn't matter what gender you are. If you like the show, great. Guys should be allowed to like whatever they want. Same goes for girls.

"It's just kinda weird". SERIOUSLY?!?! That just makes me so incredibly mad... I... I have no words... Some people really need to wake up. We live in a very, very diverse world and anyone who says that is obviously unaware of the world and stuck in their own little bubble sleep.gif

why is this world so flippin' sexist?! It shouldn't matter what gender you are. If you like the show, great. Guys should be allowed to like whatever they want. Same goes for girls.

"It's just kinda weird". SERIOUSLY?!?! That just makes me so incredibly mad... I... I have no words... Some people really need to wake up. We live in a very, very diverse world and anyone who says that is obviously unaware of the world and stuck in their own little bubble sleep.gif

I verily agree, it's quite agitating to be made fun of because your pants look too "girly", or something like that