Jazlindreal

Bronies

Bronies.. Yes or no?  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

..I am a pegasister, and I actually agree with most of the comments on here. I am younger-ish though, so I sort of get a half-excuse? xd.png I don't obsess over the show, the only thing I like about it are the characters and the lessons as well as the wonderful animation and plotline, they also have a lot of songs such as This Day Aria and Smile[my personal two favorites]. I don't like the fanfictions, and though I watch fan animations, I am not a huge fan of them.

The show itself is about being a good friend and the important values of friendship and how, well, friendship is magic... there isn't much else to say about it other then, it's a pretty great show. I of course never thought I would enjoy it so much but I do. I have never purchased any MLP wares or been to any convention because I have seen them on youtube .. they are .. really crazy. xd.png I am not one that would devote my life to it, but I am really excited for season four(twilicorn ftw biggrin.gif).

Very good for you. smile.gif Im happy to see some actual good people who like the show. I think it is absolutely fine to watch the show, the only thing I'm frustrated about is the people who try to get non "Bronies" or "Pegasisters" annoyed. Keep on liking the show if it makes you happy, good job smile.gif

..I am a pegasister, and I actually agree with most of the comments on here. I am younger-ish though, so I sort of get a half-excuse? xd.png I don't obsess over the show, the only thing I like about it are the characters and the lessons as well as the wonderful animation and plotline, they also have a lot of songs such as This Day Aria and Smile[my personal two favorites]. I don't like the fanfictions, and though I watch fan animations, I am not a huge fan of them.

The show itself is about being a good friend and the important values of friendship and how, well, friendship is magic... there isn't much else to say about it other then, it's a pretty great show. I of course never thought I would enjoy it so much but I do. I have never purchased any MLP wares or been to any convention because I have seen them on youtube .. they are .. really crazy. xd.png I am not one that would devote my life to it, but I am really excited for season four(twilicorn ftw biggrin.gif).

Oh god the fan fiction, Fan fiction is one of those things where you have two options. Digestible with slight upset stomach or goddamn Diarrhea and you get the Alien from Alien coming out of your stomach and kill everyone around you Bad. The Greatest offender of this is ~Inappropriate link removed. For those familiar, it was "My Immortal".~, besides that Bronies, Anime and Twighlight fans dominate the fan fiction.

Besides that as I said before. Bronies gonna like a show. I like Adventure Time when I'm cleary not the target demographic, nothing wrong with that really otherwise live and let live, Carpe Diem, let them do whatever honestly is what I'm trying to say

I'm also saying there will be arguments and they will attack each other

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Oh god the fan fiction, Fan fiction is one of those things where you have two options. Digestible with slight upset stomach or Diarrhea and you get the Alien from Alien coming out of your stomach and kill everyone around you Bad. The Greatest offender of this is this, besides that Bronies, Anime and Twilight fans dominate the fan fiction.

I'm pretty sure "that" was a trollfic. There's no way it was meant to be taken seriously. x3

There are a few examples of stunningly well-written fanfic IMO, but those tend to be though to find.

As for bronies ...I know quite a few real-life bronies who don't shove it into your face at all. They'll talk about it if you're interested in what they have to say, but they know when it's best to keep quiet, too. They're quite intelligent and funny people.

I think the only reason bronies are so outspoken about their fandom (whether they're irritatingly hyper about it, or whether they're calm and reasonable) is because so many people flamed them for it in the first place. Of course you're going to defend your favorite cartoon/TV show/comic book/novel/etc. if people keep telling you, "Eww, you're gross! You shouldn't like that! It's for little girls, therefore ONLY little girls can like it!"

(Although I've got to admit that the Internet bronies who try to "convert" people, or who make the same joke over and over, or who fly into a rage over tiny issues- they kind of annoy me, and I can totally see how they would annoy everyone else.)

There are both good bronies and annoying bronies- same as any other fandom. I know it's tough not to over-generalize sometimes, but just keep in mind that there's usually some good mixed in with the bad.

Edited by Athkore

Oh god the fan fiction, Fan fiction is one of those things where you have two options. Digestible with slight upset stomach or goddamn Diarrhea and you get the Alien from Alien coming out of your stomach and kill everyone around you Bad. The Greatest offender of this is ~Inappropriate link removed. For those familiar, it was "My Immortal".~, besides that Bronies, Anime and Twighlight fans dominate the fan fiction.

Besides that as I said before. Bronies gonna like a show. I like Adventure Time when I'm cleary not the target demographic, nothing wrong with that really otherwise live and let live, Carpe Diem, let them do whatever honestly is what I'm trying to say

I'm also saying there will be arguments and they will attack each other

I agree.

I'm pretty sure "that" was a trollfic. There's no way it was meant to be taken seriously. x3

There are a few examples of stunningly well-written fanfic IMO, but those tend to be though to find.

As for bronies ...I know quite a few real-life bronies who don't shove it into your face at all. They'll talk about it if you're interested in what they have to say, but they know when it's best to keep quiet, too. They're  quite intelligent and funny people.

I think the only reason bronies are so outspoken about their fandom (whether they're irritatingly hyper about it, or whether they're calm and reasonable) is because so many people flamed them for it in the first place. Of course you're going to defend your favorite cartoon/TV show/comic book/novel/etc. if people keep telling you, "Eww, you're gross! You shouldn't like that! It's for little girls, therefore ONLY little girls can like it!"

(Although I've got to admit that the Internet bronies who try to "convert" people, or who make the same joke over and over, or who fly into a rage over tiny issues- they kind of annoy me, and I can totally see how they would annoy everyone else.)

There are both good bronies and annoying bronies- same as any other fandom. I know it's tough not to over-generalize sometimes, but just keep in mind that there's usually some good mixed in with the bad.

It isn't the creator had a bunch of friends a few years ago when it was being made and by god. It was like. Fan Fiction is really low effort, like LESS effort somehow than sprite comics. It's just one of those things people will go to to act "artistic and creative." And somehow it just becomes a trainwreck you GOTTA see man.

Trust me it was real, I saw the drama, lost a good bunch of brain cells.

Also the term for MLP Smut is ClopClop, Which is um. Weird.

Excuse me? Is it really a good idea to make a thread about a specific group of people?

Anyone can like ponies if they choose to, like anyone can like Pokemon, or Dragon Cave, or drawing. I don't think you should single out people like this.

(And no, I'm not even a brony, I'm a female teen who doesn't watch it because it hurts her eyes. .-.)

Excuse me? Is it really a good idea to make a thread about a specific group of people?

Anyone can like ponies if they choose to, like anyone can like Pokemon, or Dragon Cave, or drawing. I don't think you should single out people like this.

(And no, I'm not even a brony, I'm a female teen who doesn't watch it because it hurts her eyes. .-.)

I agree that people can like anything they want, I made the thread out of curiosity. smile.gif

There needs to be an option in the poll

"I dislike them because of what members of their fandom did"

It isn't the creator had a bunch of friends a few years ago when it was being made and by god. It was like. Fan Fiction is really low effort, like LESS effort somehow than sprite comics. It's just one of those things people will go to to act "artistic and creative." And somehow it just becomes a trainwreck you GOTTA see man.

Trust me it was real, I saw the drama, lost a good bunch of brain cells.

Also the term for MLP Smut is ClopClop, Which is um. Weird.

Actually, that's not the exact term- it's a shortened version of that. And it's disgusting, and I personally wish that people would shut up about it... but society is so obsessed with "the nasty" in general that you literally hear talk about it everywhere that's not inside a hyper-strict home or super-official place of business. It's not just bronies- everyone needs to stop treating it like it's the one thing that matters in life.

And I'm gonna stand by my thought that "My Immortal" was a trollfic. I've read other comments by the author, and they were perfectly sane and grammatically correct- not to mention that it's been debunked by sites like ~Removed~.

Fanfiction, brony-made or otherwise, is just like any other type of literature- depending on how much effort the author puts into it (which ranges from "drunk monkey smacking the keyboard with a dead fish" to "so much detail and care that it may as well be this person's magnum opus"), it'll either be stupid smut, decent-but-meh, or a really good read. There are actually some pretty cool smut-free brony-written fanfictions out there.

There needs to be an option in the poll

"I dislike them because of what members of their fandom did"

What? You can't dislike an entire group of people because of what a few members of their group did. :/ That's just horrible.

Well it is more than just a few. There are the normal/ decent to talk to ones but those are so few in my experience compared to the annoying ones.

This is sooo weird blink.gif I remember when I first encountered the whole MLP fandom I was baffled by guys and adults liking the show (because I only remembered the mediocre g1 cartoon from the 80s). I really like cartoons in general, but I simply wasn't interested. Yet all the brony-fandom I encountered was really friendly, maybe some of them were weird but the fandom as a whole was good-naturedly humoured, had a sense of self-irony and while they promoted what they liked (like ANY fandom) they weren't overly agressive in that regard.

I only gave the show achance when I read about Lauren Faust being behind it and I haven't regretted it, because it's pretty awesome (at least season 1 and 2) with good quality songs, nice animation and the kind of double-adressing GOOD shows for children manage, like good Pixar movies, Doctor Who etc.

Now we're starting to give people a hard time because they like the show? Am I weird because I enjoy "Up" too? Or are all Whovians jerks, because some of them are really, really agressive Tennant-girls who get on the nerves of other fans?

Some adults are idiots, I distinctively remember all those nice grannies praticaly shoving little kids out of the way because they wanted to get nice candy for their grandchildren (who were pushed around by other grannies) at our carnival parades (where candy is thrown for children.)

Do I think all grannies are EVIL? Certainly not.

Do I make a thread about "Do you think all grannies are evil? Nope.

I raelly don't get the hate, but I will love and tolerate the censorkip.gif out of you smile.gif

What? You can't dislike an entire group of people because of what a few members of their group did. :/ That's just horrible.

Actually, yes, you CAN. People do it all the time. I'm old enough to remember when Star Trek fans were treated like lepers at science fiction conventions, in part because some ST fans behaved like idiots and the "serious" sci-fi fans decided that all ST fans were like that.

I think what you mean to say is, people SHOULDN'T judge an entire group based on the actions of a few. I agree completely, and would say that's very admirable, but tough to enforce if all folks outside the fandom are seeing are members of that fandom behaving badly.

ETA: And for the record, I don't see this thread as hating on Bronies. I see it as a chance to discuss experiences both good and bad, and for Bronies to come in and talk about their fandom. I for one would welcome learning a bit more about it, since it has such a strong internet presence.

Edited by prairiecrow

Well it is more than just a few. There are the normal/ decent to talk to ones but those are so few in my experience compared to the annoying ones.

(that's what I meant, at shouldn't be able to - it's almost 2am)

You shouldn't. Seriously.

How would you like it if someone judged you based on something you liked, because of only knowing bad people from that fandom?

I agree completely, and would say that's very admirable, but tough to enforce if all folks outside the fandom are seeing are members of that fandom behaving badly.

This is where my dislike of bronies has come from. I have only seen the annoying ones. Herk i think you are the first one I haven't seen that isn't obnoxious.

Edited by thomasgold19

I remember when I first encountered the whole MLP fandom I was baffled by guys and adults liking the show (because I only remembered the mediocre g1 cartoon from the 80s). I really like cartoons in general, but I simply wasn't interested. Yet all the brony-fandom I encountered was really friendly, maybe some of them were weird but the fandom as a whole was good-naturedly humoured, had a sense of self-irony and while they promoted what they liked (like ANY fandom) they weren't overly agressive in that regard.

I only gave the show achance when I read about Lauren Faust being behind it and I haven't regretted it, because it's pretty awesome (at least season 1 and 2) with good quality songs, nice animation and the kind of double-adressing GOOD shows for children manage, like good Pixar movies, Doctor Who etc.

The fact that you gave something a chance despite having initially awkward feelings about it makes you awesome. biggrin.gif

This is sooo weird blink.gif I remember when I first encountered the whole MLP fandom I was baffled by guys and adults liking the show (because I only remembered the mediocre g1 cartoon from the 80s). I really like cartoons in general, but I simply wasn't interested. Yet all the brony-fandom I encountered was really friendly, maybe some of them were weird but the fandom as a whole was good-naturedly humoured, had a sense of self-irony and while they promoted what they liked (like ANY fandom) they weren't overly agressive in that regard.

Now we're starting to give people a hard time because they like the show? Am I weird because I enjoy "Up" too? Or are all Whovians jerks, because some of them are really, really agressive Tennant-girls who get on the nerves of other fans?

Some adults are idiots, I distinctively remember all those nice grannies praticaly shoving little kids out of the way because they wanted to get nice candy for their grandchildren (who were pushed around by other grannies) at our carnival parades (where candy is thrown for children.)

Do I think all grannies are EVIL? Certainly not.

Do I make a thread about "Do you think all grannies are evil? Nope.

I raelly don't get the hate, but I will love and tolerate the censorkip.gif out of you smile.gif

I get what you are saying. I did not mean to offend anyone with this thread and I'm sorry if I offended you. I made this thread completely out of curiosity because it is quite an interesting topic. I agree that people can like what they choose, I'm defiantly not trying to attack the MLP fans smile.gif

This is where my dislike of bronies has come from. I have only seen the annoying ones. Herk i think you are the first one I haven't seen that isn't obnoxious.

*facepalm* Just because you've only seen annoying members of a fandom doesn't mean they're all annoying! ._. Can't people just get this already?

Besides: Bronies I feel is a term for all MLP fans, so saying it singles out those of a particular gender and age...:/

(I'm sorry for excessive raging, I'm just...getting parallels. I was persecuted in school for a similar reason :/)

I was once a brony, I don't know why, but the show appealed to me. Now, I think bronies are just meh. While there are some extremists and such, I'd like to assume most are moderate with the amount of "Love and tolerate the censorkip.gif out of you".

*facepalm* Just because you've only seen annoying members of a fandom doesn't mean they're all annoying! ._. Can't people just get this already?

Besides: Bronies I feel is a term for all MLP fans, so saying it singles out those of a particular gender and age...:/

(I'm sorry for excessive raging, I'm just...getting parallels. I was persecuted in school for a similar reason :/)

I could care less what people think/judge about me. It doesn't bother me if you have a bad opinion of me. I know not all of them are annoying but I have yet to actually talk more than a sentence with one that isn't bad.

Sorry about the persecution -- seriously, I went through it myself back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth. It's never any fun to be a spat-upon minority.

However, there's a difference between kids in school being at the bottom of the totem pole, where they have no power at all, and middle-class males privileged in just about every sense who go around being nasty to other people because they feel themselves in the right/unassailable/superior to everybody else. And I have to say that this is the vibe I get off the unpleasant Bronies I've had the misfortune to come across in the wilds of the Internet.

(By the way -- nice to meet you, Herk! smile.gif If you wouldn't mind, could you tell me a bit more about why you're such a big fan of the show? Is there a particular character or character dynamic that appeals to you, or is it the show's overall message?)

(By the way -- nice to meet you, Herk! smile.gif If you wouldn't mind, could you tell me a bit more about why you're such a big fan of the show? Is there a particular character or character dynamic that appeals to you, or is it the show's overall message?)

Hi prairiecrow,

nice to met you to. Well ... reasons I like the show:

First I like the fact that the mane main characters actually have distinct personalities, which are different and like & DIFFERENT female charaters. I grew up on Enid Blyton's famous Five with George (who wanted to be a boy) and Anne who cleaned the friggin cave and did laundry while the others had adventures. And ALL of my childhood female rolemodels were either A or B.

I like the fact that the songs are actually quite nice and catchy, while a lot of Disney songs make me roll my eyes.

I like the fact that the main characters are obviously in their early twenties (with jobs of their own not living with their parents any more) instead of kindergardners.

I love the humour "Granny Smith" (yeah I like puns - shoot me).

I love the side humour for adults, like Magnum PI pony or The Big Lebowski ponies or Star Trek references...

I love the self-awareness (ponies rolling eyes at Pinkie Pie breaking into song).

I like the fact that we have side characters that actually carry whole episodes.

The "message" that's plastred all over it "love and tolerate" is good, but what I really respect is that the show LIVES it. We have Rarity (who's a girly-girl drama queen) and Twi (the bookish one with control issues), Rainbow Dash (the selfcentered tomboy) and they have their strength and weaknesses and they are ALL portrayed as equally cool.

I ACTUALLY like Cadence, because in a world where ONE pony wants to find true love/prince Charming and the other girls DON'T care, taht life goal is juast one among many, and I don't want to strangle the shows creator for thinking EVERY GIRL should marry...

Overall the quality and the love the creators have for the show shining through caught my eye.

And I want to point out that I waited to be asked, before I started rambling wink.gif