Sweet_Wyvern

Mermaids and Mayhem

Grantaire turned to the halflling then averted his eyes, obviously embarrassed. Sorry, he declared, knowing that he had been the first one to attack. He wasn't willing to let the halfling into their pod with open arms... but they were at peace, at least.

Maktow listened to his pod members trying to speak human in amusement, softly slapping his fin against the rock as he did so. "They not speak human so well," he giggled, looking at Grantaire and then over at Namina since he's in the middle.

The fins that rested behind Namina's ears unfolded in an indignant manner. She looked down at Maktow with a slight frown, but wasn't upset enough to keep herself from nuzzling the young merman. In response to Ever's introduction, the mermaid gestured to herself. "Na...Na-miiin-aaah." It was hard for her to speak like a human, with all the strange sounds and mouth shapes involved in pronouning words properly.

Grantaire looked at Namina in confusion then threw his hands in the air in defeat. I don't know that word! he declared, obviously, painfully annoyed. Why does the human language have to be so hard? You two are both better than I am.

Smiling Ever asked Maktow, "What are they trying to say?" As the mermaid introduced herself Ever asked, "Namina?" pointing at the mermaid.

That's her name in human. Enrik sighed at Grantaire. "That's Namina, you've met Maktow, and that's Grantaire. I'm Enrik." There. Now everyone's introduced. He smirked. "They're glad to meet you."

"Thank you for that." Ever said after she recovered from the initial shock of hearing Emrik speak from almost directly behind her. "They say their is chaos in the pod, do you know what that means?" Ever asked.

Oh, Grantaire replied, feeling rather silly now. Name, right. It sounded like he had just been introduced as well. He frowned then hunched over slightly as he looked embarrassingly at the halfling. Can you teach me human? he asked.

He looked at Grantaire and nodded. Of course. He seemed to hold no ill will against the pod. "It means... er... pods are like a pack. With all of these new sights and smells and surroundings fear is starting to creep in and make everyone a little afraid."

Maktow settled down to listen, laying his chin on his arms. I can help, he offered with a smile at Grantaire. He'd love to teach human! He turned a smile at Ever, though it faded as she asked about the chaos in their pod.

"Oh." Ever said frowning slightly. "I'm sorry we've caused so much trouble." Ever said glancing at Grantaire and Namina, "Could you tell them?"

She says she's sorry she caused so much trouble. Enrik nodded. "No trouble will come if we learn to respect each other. If we don't, there will be great consequences." He quickly repeated himself in his native language.

"I think we all respect you." Ever said, speaking for the humans, "Although Matthew is almost blind, I'm not sure he believes you are merpeople." She added after a moment, "Do the merpeople trust us?" she asked Maktow, "Can you ask them?"

Namina nodded to answer Ever's question. That's what humans did, right? She listened as Enrik relayed Ever's gibberish in their own language, and processed all the information. Strange to think the humans were sorry. Why did these humans seem so nice if they were supposed to be killers?

Enrik turned to the merpeople. They want to know if you trust them? he said, his ice indicating a question.

"I do," Maktow chirruped hurriedly, snuggling close to Namina. He wasn't sure about the others, but he did. Ever was kind!

Grantaire frowned and slowly shook his head from side to side. No, he did not trust them. No. But I think I'll try to. I just need some sort of proof. A peace offering or something.

"Grantaire wants a peace offering or some type of submission. This is his territory." Ennui aid sheepishly.

Looking at Grantaire Ever asked, "What could we do? We don't know anything about merpeople or merpeople society, what is considered a peace offering?"

"Hmmm..." Enrik thought. "Could you weave something? I can show you how... In my mother's home gifts are usually returned, and you could use blankets. Plus it would usually take a while, but if we work together it wouldn't take but... Probably until sunset."

Edited by lycrawaterz14

Namina chattered softly to Maktow, and nuzzled him yet again. She glanced up at Ever when Enrik asked about their levels of trust. I want to know more about human life until I place my judgement. she decided. The way these humans acted compared to all the stories was vastly different.

"Kelp! I can fetch you plenty." He smiled. Come help me grab Kelp! he chattered t the other mermaids and charged into the water.

Maktow smiled, content to listen to the conversation since the 'adults' were talking. "Maktow can get kelp!" He chattered excitedly. Then he looked over and explained, They need kelp, can I get some, please?

Kelp? Grantaire asked, a confused expression on his face. Wait, why kelp? Are the humans hungry? Surely there are better things... such as fish!