cladus

Love at first sight

Do you believe in love at first sight?  

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Love at first sight? So do you believe in it.

I personally do because i've experienced it, just want to know what you guys/gals thinks?

Depends on your definition of "love." Do I believe that it's possible to literally love someone at first sight? No.

Depends on your definition of "love." Do I believe that it's possible to literally love someone at first sight? No.

What I believe it means that the very first time you see someone, that you see in your mind everything that makes the ideal romantic partner and everything from that moment on clicks in compatibility and mutual attraction.

What I believe it means that the very first time you see someone, that you see in your mind everything that makes the ideal romantic partner and everything from that moment on clicks in compatibility and mutual attraction.

Yes, but see you don't know them at all. It's highly likely that your "That attractive person wearing that cool shirt and doing that cool thing is probably my perfect life partner" doesn't match up with what they really are like.

To me love involves taking the good and the bad of someone, making their problems your problems, that sort of thing. My boyfriend didn't know that I had sometimes crippling anxiety trouble when I started dating him, or even when I asked him out.

I don't think you can love someone without knowing them.

I believe in lust at first sight, yes. But to me, love is something that takes time to truly grown and develop into a deep bond between two people.

I can't imagine there ever being a situation where I could deeply and intimately know everything about a person's personality the moment I merely looked at them. So no, I don't believe in love at first sight.

I don't know if it's the same thing as 'lust at first sight' but I think the OP is referring to the situation where you know the first moment you see a person that they are 'the one'... or something like that.

It CAN happen.

Feel free to throw stones at me. :'D

I don't know if it's the same thing as 'lust at first sight' but I think the OP is referring to the situation where you know the first moment you see a person that they are 'the one'... or something like that.

It CAN happen.

Feel free to throw stones at me. :'D

Yes that's exactly what I mean!

I think that the definition of 'love at first sight', is maybe believing that you know that you two will be happy together for all your life. It's just believing, that's what it is. Or maybe 'love at first sight' is just hormones manipulating our minds.

Knowing the unforgiving world like it is, all I can do is hope love at first sight could happen.

I have experienced the so-called "koi no yokan", premonition of love*, as in - meeting someone for the first time and inevitably knowing that I will be in love with them at some point, but no, in the end that person didn't turn out to be "the one" for me.

So. Attraction - yes, understanding that someone will be a person that you might fall in love with - yes... but in my book, being in love with someone and loving someone for who they are are two separate concepts.

*Koi No Yokan (Japanese)

The sense one can have upon first meeting a person that the two of you are going to fall in love. Differs from “love at first sight” as it does not imply that the feeling of love exists, only the knowledge that a future love is inevitable.

Edited by lightbird

I think I might be aromantic as I've never felt that sort of love for another person. But no, I don't think you can fall in love with someone at first sight. Attraction at first sight I believe can happen - that it happens very frequently with 'romantic' humans even - but I have a hard time seeing how you can fall in love with someone you only know through their exterior visage and and whatever activity they happen to be participating in when you first see them.

Edited by Ripan

I believe in lust at first sight, yes. But to me, love is something that takes time to truly grown and develop into a deep bond between two people.

This.

The first time I saw my lover I thought she was beautiful and that a night with her would be well worth having. Eighteen months later I had that night, and we've had quite a few since, and I am falling in love with her as time goes on. But the feelings I had on that first sight were entirely based on the fact that she had a nice body.

^Ima have to say this. A real relationship takes time. I would say that love could develop from a "love at first sight" situation, but I wouldn't call it love right away.

Edited by MasterWeavile898

I think that premonitions of love do exist, like seeing yourself in love with the person. But not actual love.

well, from my side it started with first sight ^^'

BUT AFTER IT DIDN'T FELL OUT GOOD

I get hurted and fell in depresion, and he didn't was happy and wasn't enjoying life.

Nice ending of story of love on first sight sad.gif

I guess to everything is going llike that :/

Edited by Anavi_Ivy

Nope, I don't believe. Tikindi's point is spot-on, and besides that I'm not a romantic person anyway. smile.gif

*Already regretting creating this thread*

Before everyone hates me, I don't think that the type of love where you would take a bullet for someone can happen at first sight.

I also think that love at first sight is not purely physical. I'm talking about that feeling when you see someone you just feel an unspeakable connection and every time you look at them you're heart melts, maybe that's just called a crush if so that what I mean.

Where did anyone say they hated you? o_o

Sorry for my bad wording, no one did but I didn't want this to become an all out flame war on why love at first sight doesn't exist.

Before everyone hates me, I don't think that the type of love where you would take a bullet for someone can happen at first sight.

I also think that love at first sight is not purely physical. I'm talking about that feeling when you see someone you just feel an unspeakable connection and every time you look at them you're heart melts, maybe that's just called a crush if so that what I mean.

I completely understand what you're saying, I just wouldn't call it love.

This - so much this smile.gif

Yeah - my EX-husband! xd.png

Seriously, I think this it all there is. Mind you, I do automatically like some people, and they've turned out to be great friends. <3

Very rarely, I've been wildly repulsed by someone, and I usually find out that there was very good reason to stay clear. I still don't know what the story was on one person though. They brushed my hand in a store, and I immediately felt an intense need to go wash my hands. Worst reaction I've ever had to a person. Just felt like there was something evil, very wrong, going on with them. huh.gif

Don't regret it, it's fairly interesting.

Yeah, I'd probably call what you're describing a crush or infatuation.

The best explanation of how love works that I've found, which could be completely off since I am a total dunce when it comes to love, has love being a combination of attraction (physical or otherwise) and closeness, like with your best friend (sharing problems and helping each other though them, stuff like that). I don't see how you can be close to someone who you've only just met.

EDIT: I suppose it really depends on your definition of love

Edited by MasterWeavile898

Sorry for my bad wording, no one did but I didn't want this to become an all out flame war on why love at first sight doesn't exist.

No worries man, opinion sharing doesn't have to descend into flames wink.gif

To be fair, we're pretty limited in English only having one word for 'love', when that one word covers a lot of concepts. The Greeks had *four*. The 'love' to which you are refering is probably 'Eros' - which I admit probably *is* possible at first sight. For me the deeper forms of love - Agape, Phillia and/or Storge - require time and knowledge.

It's interesting to see, how disillusioned the users of DC are, and that a male seems to be more romantic than the females. smile.gif

While I have never experienced it myself (my wife obviously has, thats why she hit on me over and over again) I am pretty sure it can happen. Also, I doubt its possibly to hit both at once - that's fantasy. But one-sided? Yes.