LOTR meets Stargate

[sounds like a plan to me, though I haven't seen Archios for a while....

and lol @ Jack's train of thought about the healing arts. I'm sure Daniel would have something to say about that]

Lady Galadriel accepted the pouch of Kingsfoil from Brod, her earlier glance having determined the availability of the other required items. Really all that was needed was the patient. It was always easier to treat a willing one.

---

Daniel was still too surprised by Jack's friendly greeting to really notice the direction of his verbal sparring partner's thoughts. Though the short answer was closer to normal attitude.

One which Daniel was all too used to ignoring and, on occasions, apologising for.

----

From all the discussion, Carter had figured that whatever the poison was, she didn't want it in her bloodstream for any longer than necessary. Nish'ta was bad enough.

Though part of her was wondering if the naquida in her blood would have any effect on either the Morgul poison or the antidote. Only one way to find out.. She nodded at Lady Galadriel in acceptance of the offer of help:

"Where do you need me?"

Carter could guess that the tent Daniel set-up would be the ideal place for treatment. There'd be enough room inside for both Galadriel, the herbal antidote and herself.

[still doubt Jack will let Carter out of his sight for long.... especially with strangers. Galadriel would be able to order her guards to stay outside the tent.]

((Hmm, hadn’t noticed that Archios hasn’t been on for a while... Should I PM a mod, and do you want Daniel included as available?))

Though everything was seemingly agreed upon, Jack was halfway tempted to ask Carter if she was sure she wanted to do this but he knew they didn’t really have a choice. Instead, he simply said, “’Right then,” as he moved to stand next to the tent and his expression clearly said he wasn’t going to be moving any time soon. He wasn’t overly thrilled with the idea of Carter being alone with a native, but at least the tent’s thin walls would enable him to hear what was going on inside and he could easily intervene if needed.

---

When Jack approached the tent, Galadriel’s honor guard started to look a little uncomfortable. |My Lady?| one asked in Elvish as he took a step closer.

---

When the guard spoke, Alex’s embarrassment instantly vanished to be replaced with fascination. Up until that point, he had only heard English from the natives so this change had him intrigued. Once again trying to connect the words to a language he knew, he gave Daniel a questioning look to see if he recognized it. Of course, there wasn’t much to work with in such a brief utterance, so he was hoping to hear more.

[An RP Mod would be best bet, since I can't edit the posts - and lets put the 3 SG-1 members up as available. See if we can turn this into more than a 1x1 - not that I mind 1x1's smile.gif

Hmmm I may PM the original RPers .... give them first refusal as it were. ]

Carter walked to the tent, giving her over-protective Colonel a reassuring smile as she did so. Can't help it, Jack's - I mean, Colonel O'Neill's - just so cute with the way he fusses over us. Holy Hannah, did I really just think my CO was cute?!

At least, it was meant to be reassuring, but she was almost certain that he wouldn't be happy til she was back outside - with her arm fixed. Not to mention that she was probably blushing after that last thought.

She ducked her head and entered the tent, hoping that no-one had noticed.

-

Glancing at her concerned guard, Galadriel replied in soft tones; |Do not blame him for his concern. It just proves they are capable of caring for each other.| She collected the warm water before turning towards the tent.

-

At the new language, Daniel perked up. Sure he was still concerned about Sam, but languages were something he could deal with. It could take a while to identify this one though.

[so which version of Elvish are they speaking? Quenya (High-elvish) or Sindarin (Grey-Elvish)? Quenya has Finnish roots and Sindarin has Welsh roots....]

((Sounds like a plan, I’ll hold off on PMing a mod until we hear from the others.

As for which dialect, I hadn’t really given it any thought… All I could find was that Sindarin was pretty much all that was spoken by the end of the Third Age. However, could Quenya still have been commonly used at the end of the Second Age? Perhaps. It’s all the same to me, so if you have a preference we can use that. If you don’t have a preference, wanna flip a coin wink.gif ?))

Reassured by the Lady’s observation, the honor guard gave a respectful nod/bow and resumed his previous post.

---

Focusing on the honor guard, Jack was only absently aware of the look Carter gave him. “Everything’ll be fine,” he said and since the guard and backed down at about that point, he looked fully at Carter and added, “but from now on, we’re going to have the natives look at any injuries we receive.”

---

Brod had tensed at the Elvish guard’s move, but since the Lady seemed to assuage whatever the concerns were, he gave a small sigh as he approached Eretta and quietly said, “I know this…shelter will not hold another, but please remain nearby should any further…feminine assistance be required.”

---

Alex listened intently as Galadriel spoke, but was yet sure what to make of the language they were using. Leaning slightly toward Daniel, he quietly asked, “Any thoughts on the language?”

[Okies - PMs sent, waiting on replies. Will update as and when.

Hmm, lets go with Sindarin. The Welsh root language would go better with the Celtic/Gaelic ideas we bounced around earlier.]

"Understood, sir." Carter replied, having regained some control over her thoughts and hopefully the blush too. The tent afforded some privacy, though she had noticed the reactions of the honour guard to her CO's proximity to the shelter.

---

Daniel considered the small amount of speech he had to work with, and answered Alex:

"I'm not entirely sure, but the pattern seems very similar to the Celtic family of languages. I can't be certain which one it evolved from however. Not without written records."

---

Eretta nodded at Brod's request that she stay on hand. While it seemed that most of SG-1 were preoccupied with their own conversations, she kept her own voice down as she confirmed with Brod:

"Am I to assume that I'm also to keep an eye out for any potential .... difficulties?" Her careful phrasing - while not subtle - indicated that she too had seen the Elven guard react to O'Neill's positioning.

((I am so sorry, totally missed the fact that you had Sam enter the tent… *feels a little sheepish now* ))

Looking at Carter’s wound as she entered the tent, Jack could have sworn that the black lines had gotten longer since he’d first seen them. That fact had him wondering if they should bring some of the herb back in case they ever needed it. Of course, doing so would mean that it would only be a matter of time before someone somewhere higher up would get a hold of the information and want to weaponize the poison. Though he almost wished they didn’t have to report the existence of the poison, he knew there wasn’t really a choice...but they were going to need a lot more information before they did.

---

“Aye… ,” Brod said to Eretta as he gave a heavy sigh, “as always, lass.” Trying to recall a time when they didn’t have to watch for ‘potential difficulties’, his gaze swept the Elvin guards and the Tau’ri before returning to Eretta. “The question, however, is from whence might the difficulties come? It would seem reasonable for a warrior to act as honor guard for a wounded leader,” If she is their leader, he added silently, “so then, do the Elves know something about these strangers we do not yet?” He gave a small shake of his head as he thought, Always more questions than answers.

---

Alex thought about Daniel’s answer, and understood why he’d make that comparison. Knowing they’d need to hear more or, like Daniel said, find some written records before they could form a conclusion, he asked, “Have you come across many Celtic-like languages on other planets?”

---

After the way the honor guard had reacted to Jack, Teal’c was actually a little torn on what to do. Part of him wanted to join Jack next to the tent, but he knew that doing so not only could possibly make the guards more on edge, but would also have the group split with the two least able to defend themselves alone. Thus, he felt it best to remain where he was for the moment. Of course, that would readily change if Jack motioned him over, or if Daniel and Alex joined Jack. Naturally, he kept his expression neutral as he pondered the situation.

[No worries, it was more an attempt to hide her blush from Jack more than anything, could always assume she just ducked her head and paused when he spoke. ]

Even though Eretta felt that Brod's questions were more rhetorical than expecting and answer, she could at least speculate on the answer to the first.

"I can't speak on what the Elves know or do not know, but suspicion is always a source of strife." As a scout, Eretta also knew the need for vigilance, so she couldn't find fault in the concern from both parties. She could only hope that paranoia didn't tear the camp apart.

----

Galadriel joined Carter in the tent, and set about making the paste-like substance that would draw the poison from the wound. She didn't seem to notice - or worry about, Sam's curious eyes watching her work.

----

"Not many. Most often its a variant of Ancient Egyptian," Daniel replied, "though there are a few Latin based languages out there. It really depends on whether there's been any Goa'uld influence and on the Goa'uld itself." Latin did evolve from the Antiquitas - Ancients. And the Goa'uld stole from many cultures...

Daniel was starting to get into lecture mode...

[Going to give Alex a chance to stop Daniel, even though I do love his tangents smile.gif ]

Brod gave another shake of his head as he said, “Suspicion does not always cause strife. Many a time it has saved lives, my own included.” His gaze then once again swept those around them as he added, “The thing to remember is to not let said suspicions run away with your good sense.”

---

“Really?” Alex asked clearly fascinated. “With where the Stargate was found, I get the Egyptian but how does Latin come into play?”

((Sorry for not giving you much to work here, but Alex wouldn’t try to stop Daniel’s tangent – at least, not this particular one…))

[That's ok. Daniel-lectures can be fun smile.gif]

"The gate-builders. We call them the Ancients - not an original name, but considering how old the Stargate actually is... it fits. Their language seems to be a precursor to our Latin." Daniel began,

"On worlds that were 'seeded' by the Ancients themselves, and were not touched by Goa'uld influence in their developing stages, the people use the Latin precursor or something very similar."

"As the Goa'uld tend to displace cultures from one world to another, so they can rule as gods, the languages get a little muddled and varied. It all depends on which cultures were taken and how long the Goa'uld rule was actively reinforced."

---

Eretta conceded Brod's point, "An indirect cause then, should sense be overruled by passion."

---

Inside the tent, Carter watched Galadriel make the antidote. Mainly out of curiosity, and as a form of intelligence gathering. After all, it could be useful in the future for other ailments.

Galadriel worked efficiently and silently, feeling no need to speak any more than necessary. She was aware of Carter's observations, but didn't see a threat in them. Once the paste was ready, Galadriel asked;

"May have your arm?"

When Carter extended it, Galadriel applied the paste, singing in soft tones in her native tongue as she did so:

"Rhodd y Ddaear, Bendigaid gan Dwr. Buro'r staen y tywyllwch. Leddfu a gwneud cyfan."

[Couldn't find a Sindarin translator... so I used a language I knew: Welsh tongue.gif It sounds about right to me...]

“So…wait,” Alex said slowly as he tried to process what Daniel was saying. “When you say ‘seeded’ do you mean like evolutionary seeding or civilization seeding?” He was rather hoping that it was the latter for he wasn’t sure how he’d feel knowing that humanity’s evolution had been influenced by aliens.

---

From where he was standing, Jack could hear what going on inside the tent but it bothered him that he couldn’t see what was going on. He was also a little bothered by the fact that there wasn’t much talking going on, but he knew that Carter would at least be observing. When he finally did hear talking, he was at first reassured but then baffled by the singing. Giving Daniel a questioning look, he slightly tilted his head toward the tent as a way of asking if he could hear and understand the song. Of course, based upon their earlier conversation he couldn’t be sure if Daniel understood the look. He considered calling Daniel over, but didn’t want to cause more problems with the honor guard.

---

Brod nodded as he said, “Aye lass, I will grant that should that happen, suspicion can be an indirect cause of strife.” He then gave a half-chuckle and added, “Of course, that same could be said for almost everything.”

((Wasn’t sure if Galadriel’s singing would have reached Daniel and Alex…))

[it might have - the only reason I used Welsh rather than a translation, was because the two closest - Sam + Jack - wouldn't understand it. Plus the tent might muffle it slightly...]

"Evolutionary. At least, as far as evidence goes - there's very few Ancient ruins to really be certain on cultural impact. Plus the Ancients themselves disappeared millennia ago." Daniel replied, while knowing that a few of them were still around - if only as pure energy. He really didn't know how to explain those to Alex.

His eyes flicked towards Jack - half wondering what would happen if he mentioned the ATA gene in relation to the Colonel. The other half was more checking up on Sam. It was then his ears caught the tail-end of a song and his eyes caught the questioning look.

He returned the look with a puzzled one of his own - Yes, I hear it, but no - I can't make out the words clearly enough.

----

Inside the tent, Sam could make out the words, but she didn't have the ability to understand them. The paste, however, did seem to be doing something. A pleasant cooling sensation underneath the covered area, the annoying itching practically gone.

She wasn't able to make out anything else about the wound due to the coverage, but it felt better - so she could only assume the herb was working.

[Giving Jack a reaction time - since Carter's running a self-assessment thing.]

((Using Welsh is fine. Was kind of going the ‘pretend it’s Sindarin’ route whether or not Alex and Daniel heard it xd.png.))

Daniel’s answer sort of threw Alex for a loop and the only thing he could think to say was, “Ah…” With a slew of questions coursing through his mind, he followed Daniel’s gaze only to be shaken out of his thoughts by the look on Jack’s face. For a brief moment, he wondered what the look was for, but then he heard the end of presumably Galadriel’s singing. Oops, he thought as he realized he wasn’t focusing on the task at hand, and he pushed all questions about these Ancients for another time as he said, “I wonder what that was…”

When the singing stopped, Jack nodded at Daniel as he listened to the silence for a few heartbeats, but then he got tired of waiting and asked, “Carter, everything okay in there?”

[xd.png typical Daniel - making more questions in an answer tongue.gif]

Daniel frowned as he ran the few, muffled words that he'd managed to hear through his head before answering:

"Sounded like a cross between part of a song and a healing chant. Or possibly just meant as nothing more than a soothing tune, bit like a lullaby."

----

Carter mentally rolled her eyes at Jack's impatience, it hadn't been silent for long at all, but she answered him promptly.

"Everything's fine, colonel." One last glance at the dark green coating over the crossbow-scratch, and she added, completely seriously: "My arm looks like it decided to wear one of my facial mud-masks." At least, it matches the camo. The slightly incongruous thought - along with the realisation she'd just mentioned one of her more feminine secret indulgences to her CO, I'm not going to live that down.... - she couldn't decide whether to laugh or cry in embarrassment. She settled for neither - by distracting herself by enquiring of Galadriel about the treatment. How long it would need to stay/how often it should be replaced.

Galadriel tidied up after herself while Carter was talking, the paste did make a bit of a mess of the bowl. She paused at the question, treatment of Morgul wounds varied patient to patient.

"The antidote can be removed when the paste dries, after that - reapplication is only needed if the black veins haven't retreated and faded. The number of treatments is affected by how long you've been exposed to the poison."

---

Eretta, from her observing position near to Brod, could only note the way the Tau'ri had arranged themselves.

One guarding the tent - one inside being treated. The two non-warriors closer to the fire in discussion, and lastly Teal'c - standing watch over the split party.

She also noted the camps arrangement, the joint forces of Horse Lords and Dwarves in a sort of ring around them. Most doing usual cap duties and ignoring the additions, there were a few that paid more attention to SG-1.

With Lady Galadriel inside the tent, her honour guard weren't going to stray far from that location. The Elves themselves were remaining watchful of everything - including the watchers.

[i missed Eretta out last time... ooops..]

Alex nodded in agreement with Daniel’s guess, but he also knew that they were just guessing and that they’d need more information before they could make any conclusions. Figuring that Daniel would probably be thinking along the same lines, he left his thoughts unsaid as Carter answered Jack. “That’s good to hear,” Alex said with a relieved sigh.

“Indeed, Dr. Honami,” Teal’c agreed. Though no Morgul weapons had been seen in thousands of years, both legend and the memories his symbiote provided said that successfully treating the poison was impossible. Of course, doing the impossible seemed to be the norm for them. Still, he was left with much to ponder…

---

Relieved by Carter’s answer, Jack raised a brow at her mud-mask comment but tucked the fact away for later use as his gaze swept the area. When his gaze reached the honor guard, he found himself wishing it wasn’t too dark for sunglasses as he gave them a somewhat awkward smile/nod. At Galadriel’s explanation, he wondered (among other things) what the time frames were for needing more treatments, but he didn’t want to talk through the tent so he held his questions.

---

Watching the Tau’ri, Brod found it odd how they addressed each other. The leader referred to the one warrior by his first name while he referred to her by her third name. Meanwhile, the other warrior referred to the medic by both his first and third names, and why did the two only have one name?… It was all rather confusing and didn’t really give an indication of how the Free People should refer to them. Deciding to use the names as they were given until requested otherwise, he pushed the matter aside for more pressing questions; such as who were these Tau’ri really and what was their purpose. However, though he had many questions, he wanted to wait until Galadriel was finished with the healing. He had heard that the Lady could peer into the minds of others and such a power could prove useful in getting to the bottom of this mystery.

Edited by starphyre77

[i see some teasing in Carter's future xd.png Most likely after some questions have been answered.

And yes Tau'ri are confusing.... ]

After tidying up - mainly just resealing the pouch of Kingsfoil and placing the rest of the equipment together for washing - Galadriel studied her handiwork. The wound itself wasn't deep, though the poison was the main concern.

Now for the post-application advice:

"While the wound is such that you don't need bed-rest, keep the arm as still as possible, at least until this application has started to dry. I'd suggest leaving it exposed to the air to dry faster - unless you're prone to scratching any itch. In which case, covering it is more advisable."

"Completely dry paste will have a snake-skin look to it. Then it flakes away in scales - or can be lifted off." With the signs to look out for, Galadriel then left the tent, allowing Carter some privacy to redress herself as she saw fit.

---

Carter glanced at her tac-vest and jacket - which she'd removed while Galadriel had prepared the antidote for ease of treatment. She grinned wryly - O'Neill was the one to disobey doctor's orders, not her. If she wasn't meant to scratch - she'd find a way to resist the temptation. Guess I'm not carrying my pack anytime soon....

Glancing at the tent entrance, Carter mentally shrugged. She could leave her outer layers in the tent, as long as she kept her weapon close to hand. With that thought, she re-joined the rest of SG-1 outside the tent.

The green patch on her arm did indeed match the trousers she was wearing, though her sleeveless black undershirt and rather pale skin (well being blonde she didn't tan well) did break up the image somewhat.

[Dare Jack to say something at her lack of uniform tongue.gif, though seeing he is next to the tent.... *prepares to duck*]

When Carter exited the tent, Alex initially didn’t think anything of her tank top but then he realized that that much exposed skin could prove problematic, and sure enough, most of the men of both races quickly turned to face away from Carter.

---

Brod bowed in thanks to Galadriel as the Elf came out of the tent, and then turned to Carter as she also exited the tent. He had been intending to ask how she was feeling but upon a glimpse of her, he quickly turned his back to her so as not to embarrass her any further than she must have already been. “For Mahal’s sake, someone bring the lady a cloak!” he called and as a nearby Dwarf quickly took off his cloak and somewhat awkwardly handed it back to Eretta without turning around, he added in a sincere tone, “Major Sam Carter, I do apologize for not realizing you would not be able to re-don your armor. I give you my word that embarrassing you in your under-garments was not my intent.” He almost asked why she didn’t ask for something to cover with while still within the tent, but decided not to add further insult.

---

Seeing Carter as she came out of the tent, Jack was about to make a smart-aleck comment about her being out of uniform but anything he could think to say paled next to the reaction of the natives. Listening to Brod, Jack crossed his arms for a moment but then brought a hand to his mouth as though he was thinking when he was actually trying to cover his amusement.

[xd.png. Of course, Carter's tank top causes problems..... though as Jack would say, while giving her a joking leer; 'it is a sweet number'. ]

Carter may have been mentally prepared for one of O'Neill's 'humorous' comments at her state-of-dress, but not for the natives' reaction. As the males nearby turned away - all apart from her teammates - she quickly glanced down at herself. As far as she was concerned there was nothing wrong with what she was wearing. Still more covered than most half my age..... Great. Now I sound like a fussy old prude.

In reply to Brod;

"No apology is needed, due to no offence given."

--

Eretta took the offered cloak from an embarrassed dwarf, and crossed over to Sam. She knew the cloak would be too small, but given the fact that Galadriel had made the suggestion to leave the paste to air - and that Sam had come out with it exposed - then it meant that the cloak would be acceptable.

She also noted that most of the Tau'ri didn't share the local reactions, as she secured the cloak around Sam's shoulders. Making sure the paste remained undisturbed.

--

Daniel, being a little more sensitive to other cultures than Jack - who was still looking in Sam's general direction, averted his gaze to the fire. While it wasn't as extreme as the rest, it did at least give his teammate some privacy. Not that the tank top was in any way indecent.

[i'm assuming no one is going to prevent Eretta from cloak duty tongue.gif]

----Cut-scene----

The dark lord Sauron watched with brief satisfaction as the cowardly Orc messenger’s now lifeless body fell away from his hand. The messenger had, in fact, given him much to think about so he paid no heed to the other Orcs moving in to dispose of the corpse as he went over to a window which looked out over Morder. He was trying to figure out what the System Lords were playing at by sending just a few slaves and only one Jaffa to his planet, but none of the possibilities he could conceive seemed even remotely plausible.

Setting the matter aside to ponder later, he turned his thoughts entirely to the lone Jaffa. He had been in exile for a long time, and he now wondered if perhaps this Jaffa could be the instrument of his return. If he could secretly take the place of the larva within the Jaffa then his enemies of old would unwittingly release him and even provide him with a suitable host. For some reason, it had been an unfortunate length of time since he’d been able to take anything but Orcs as hosts… much to his consternation. Obviously, the Orcs in question had been specially bred for his use, but he much preferred being able to take a more pleasant looking host.

It wasn’t that he was looking to giving up on quashing the rebellion on this miserable planet, but rather he planned on getting hold of the technology which had too long been denied to him and then return to subjugate the so-called ‘Free People’. Of course, in order to put his plan into action, he would need the Jaffa and its larva’s memories. Without turning from the window, he ordered, “Bring me these people alive and unspoiled!”

((Sorry for not posting for any characters, but this one ran away on me and it’s now incredibly late. Unfortunately, I’m going to be net-less now until at least Sunday, possibly Monday… Sorry that you keep having to wait for me, and thank you so very much for your patience.))

((Not sure that it could be called plans exactly wink.gif. More like I was winging it and that sounded good. I’m game, of course, to continue winging it but if you have any thoughts or plans, by all means feel free to run with it.))

Noticing Daniel turning his gaze to the fire, Alex took a brief look around before he too looked to the fire. He couldn’t help but think that the scene was a bit amusing, but then he was struck by a thought that forced him to have to cover a chuckle with a cough. Once again switching to Russian, he leaned slightly toward Daniel as he asked, |”Can you imagine these guys at a Spring Break beach?”|

---

Jack watched everything with obvious amusement in his eyes. Fortunately, most of the natives were deliberately looking away so not many would have noticed. Though he was curious as to what Daniel and Alex were talking about, he knew he could trust Daniel to keep him informed if it was anything important so he left them to their conversation. Of course, he did make a mental note to talk to them later about using any other language but Russian…and find out what Alex had found amusing. Once Sam was as covered as she was going to get, Jack nodded in thanks to Eretta as he said, “There we go, all properly covered.” There was a voice in the back of his mind that told him he should probably leave it at that, but he didn’t listen to that voice often, and he gave an exaggerated grin as he said, “Pity though, it was such a good look.”

---

When the Alex began to cough, Brod figured that he had accidentally breathed in too much smoke so didn’t think much of it. However, when the diplomat and medic then began to converse in a strange language, Brod couldn’t help but wonder not only what they were saying but also what language they were speaking. Thinking that perhaps the Elves might know, he was going to ask Galadriel when the opportunity presented itself. Might it be the language of the Valar, he found himself thinking. At the first part of Jack’s words, Brod turned around again but he had absolutely no idea how to respond to the second part. “If…you… say so?” Brod said slowly in his obvious confusion.

[i'm game for Sauron wanting them alive, especially since he's been out of the System Lord loop for so long..... he won't know that the infamous SG-1 has showed up.]

Now that Alex mentioned it... Daniel couldn't shake the image of embarrassed natives trying to get everyone covered up appropriately. |"It would certainly be an exercise in confusion for all involved."| He managed to say without breaking out in mirth. Though it was a difficult task.

---

Cloak secured, the issue of her state of dress no longer being a topic of concern for the natives, Carter turned towards O'Neill at his last comment. He could see the hidden amusement behind the stern look she sent his way.

Can you be serious for once and not confuse the locals?

She was fully aware of the fine line between a polite suggestion and downright insubordination, so she left it at that. Though the quirk of her lips did promise some payback later. Once they didn't have an audience.

[Hmmm why do I have an image of Carter in Biker Leathers to taunt Jack with...?

I'm guessing its Q+A time now though lol Night camp makes a perfect time for that sort of thing.]

As Jack gave Sam an innocent “what?” look, Brod shook his head to bring his thoughts back to the pressing matter. “So,” he started, “what say we have a sit around the fire,” he briefly glanced at a nearby Dwarf who gave a curt nod and then headed away while motioning for other Dwarves to follow him, “and see if we can clear a few things up before we retire for the night.” He turned to Galadriel and said, “Lady Galadriel, any insights or inquiries you might have to offer would be greatly appreciated.” He knew they were dealing with matters beyond his comprehension but hoped that the Lady would understand as much without him having to outright say so.

At Brod’s words, Jack nodded in agreement but then gave Daniel a “you’re up” look. He was willing to give diplomacy one more chance, but his patience was starting to wear thin. If Daniel wasn’t able get actual answers, he was going to have to take over.

While they were talking, pairs of Dwarves began carrying in logs which could easily seat two or three and setting them around the fire. The first log was offered to Sam, the second log was placed to the side of the fire from the first and was offered to Galadriel should she choose to sit, and the third log was placed across from the first and was offered to Brod. Before long, there was a ring of logs around the fire and those who chose were seated, but by a seemingly unspoken agreement there were gaps between two groups and the Lady was given respectful room.

Alex was astounded by the ease with which the natives were handling the logs for some of them would have needed three or four humans to carry yet the natives were always in pairs and they didn’t even appear to be winded.

((Trying to come up with something for Brod to start off with asking, and I keep coming up absolutely blank…Any suggestions?))

[ummm.... first questions are always the hardest to come up with.....especially as names have already been given.... Perhaps the Stone Ring/Stargate could be a starting point?]

While the dwarven warriors were placing the log seats, Galadriel acknowledged Brod's words with an incline of her head. From his messengers, she already understood the implications of the hidden meaning behind Brod's seemingly innocent request.

When offered, Galadriel did choose sit. Her guards didn't, but took up a position flanking, yet behind the Lady. Their distance and chosen locations were formal - similar in nature to the positions they would take up within the elven court.

---

Daniel returned Jack's nod, and then paid attention to the log placing. It would give him an idea of the standings of the different peoples within the gathering. All the logs were equal distance from the fire, but it did seem that SG-1's log was slightly further away from the others.

He also noted that Galadriel was accorded more space than most of the others present. That - if any human logic could apply - meant that she was higher in status than the rest. Even though it seemed that Brod was still the military leader of the camp.

---

Sam, since the natives still seemed under the impression she was the leader, was the first Tau'ri to be offered a log to sit on - though it could also be due to the injury. She wasn't sure which.

She also sat by the fire - the log seat reminding her of the Girl Scout camping trips that she'd been on as a teenager. Though the company was completely different. She nodded her thanks at the dwarves, then turned back to Colonel O'Neill with a raised eyebrow. Are you going to join me?

[i'm assuming Teal'c will remain standing, Eretta will most likely join him.]

Jack crossed in front of Sam to sit on her left side. However, as he turned while starting to sit, he was leaned toward Sam and with a slight smirk he quietly said, “Don’t get used to this.” Once seated, he looked around the fire as though he hadn’t said anything.

---

Teal’c stood behind Jack and Sam giving much the same impression as Galadriel’s honor guard, but he was not only observing but also ready to give input if needed. However, since the conversation had not yet started, he was taking the time to reassess the natives who seemed to call themselves Dwarves. His earlier assessment would not have had them able to carry the logs with such ease, and he found himself wondering not only if just those natives had such strength or all the natives – though it would not be normal for a human – but also what other capabilities they might possess.

---

Sitting down on the log to Sam’s right, Alex almost took his digital recorder out of his pack but stopped when he realized that the device might put the natives on edge, so he took out his notebook and pencil instead. He had always had a habit of doodling while waiting for something noteworthy to write, and over the years had gotten quite skilled at what he drew which often came in handy on archeological sites. As he prepared to take notes, he rather wanted to do a sketching of both Galadriel and Brod, but experience had taught him not to do so without permission. Thus, he settled on starting to draw from memory what the dissolved Morgul bolt had looked like.

---

Brod sat down across from Sam and watched as everyone settled in. When Alex took out what looked like a very thin book, Brod gave him a confused look for a moment but then gave a slight shrug as he thought, So their medic is also their scribe. Though it didn’t make much sense to him (what would happen if a medic was needed in one place while a scribe in another?), he felt it was a minor matter that didn’t need to be figured out. “Now, because the Lady did not hear and I did not understand, I must ask once more…From whence have you come, and how did that stone structure bring you here?”

[Heehee, so tempting to wind up Jack... well just a little anyway tongue.gif]

When O'Neill offered his quiet, joking admonition, Sam couldn't help an answering smirk of her own. "That doesn't mean I'm not going to enjoy it while it lasts."

Her words were soft enough to not be heard over the general shifting of others settling in to place. Mainly Daniel, whose position made him a very tempting foot-rest - but Carter managed to resist it.

---

Daniel settled himself cross-legged on the ground, just in front of the log where Sam was sitting. By being on the ground, he hoped to give the impression that he was lower in status to those that were on the log. He also hoped that the flanking seats that Jack and Alex took would be interpreted as protecting the injured member - though in reality, his chosen position just enhanced the idea that Sam was the leader, since she was surrounded by the rest.

[silly Daniel.... you're just making things more complicated.]

---

The first question was expected - after all there were others present that hadn't seen their arrival. And Carter always liked taking about the not-so-theoretical science behind the Stargate system. She answered the second part of the query to start with, since it could also indirectly answer the first.

"The stone ring - we call it the Stargate - is capable of creating passageways between distant worlds. We use those passageways to travel and explore worlds other than our own." That covered the very basic concept, and she knew from past experience that O'Neill didn't like 'too much technobabble', so she left it at that and turned to a more direct answer to the initial part.

"Our home is called Earth."

Then she did poke Daniel with one of her toes, as if to say 'this should be your job.'