Totts

Hogwarts!

"Hogwarts is pretty amazing, my parents showed me pictures. It has all sorts of classes and stuff." Bella said to the other girl. If this girl knew what her full name was, the. She wouldn't think it was nearly as beautiful. She'd think that it was an ugly name. She'd have to redeem that name somehow. "I'm mostly interested in Transfiguration and trying to become an animagus. The challenge sounds fun."

"Cool, I'd probably skip class most of the time," Zoey said. "What house do you want to be in? I myself want to be in Ravenclaw."

"But you're skipping classes." Bella stated, confused. "Ravenclaws are all about learning." She wondered when her mother would appear again. "Honestly, I want to be a Gryffindor. They're all so brave, and famous too. I don't want to be in Slytherin though, they're just evil and awful." As is my family. She continued in her mind.

"All right, you caught me red handed," Zoey said, raising her hands. "I really don't want to be here, my parents are making me go. Ah! So a Gryffindor is what you want to be? I hope this doesn't ruin our friendship. Slytherin is okay I guess, but you got to admit, they watch each other's back when one is in trouble. It's sad people don't view it as that."

Aribeth did her best to answer Mrs. Silver's questions in an understandable manner. Selene was special. One need not apply, you are simply chosen. Again, Selene would be perfectly safe there. Hogwarts was notoriously hard to break into. Aribeth personally would help the child if she needed anything and letters home were to be expected. She looked over at the stairs and the girl's suitcase thumped loudly with each sharp drop it endured. She took out a fob watch which was snapped into her cloak and checked the time. "We'll just make it in time for some early shopping after breakfast." She clapped the watch shut and took out her broom. It was well groomed and might possibly fit two people, but that was a stretch. "My regards to you, Misses Silver," she bowed again "I'll do my best to make sure either Selene or myself sends you a post when she arrives at school." the wizard turned to Selene. "Now, you're all packed?"

"Please do not forget any hogwarts books, your list is on your hogwarts letter." (( Basically, Y'all need to buy your books.))

Bella quietly muttered something about the Battle of Hogwarts and the Slytherins. She quickly covered her mouth and tried to make herself smaller. She didn't want to upset this person she had just met, and the girl thought they had the sparks of friendship among them. Hopefully the girl wouldn't ask what Bella said, because it was indeed a very unflattering and awful thing to say about anyone.

[bella's Mom already has pretty much most of it, not to mention she's off getting them.

I'm good.]

Edited by RainDash

----- Selene Silver ----

The suitcase was an unwieldy thing on stairs - though the wheels did mean it was easier to move around on flatter surfaces.

Mrs Silver not needing many answers - just nodded along with Aribeth's assurance that letters would be sent home on arrival and throughout the term. That she could deal with.

To the question of being packed, Selene looked down at the case as she replied;

"All packed." Her voice wasn't as quiet as before - she found it easier to speak when not meeting eyes. That would probably need to be trained out of her during her time at Hogwarts.

[Time skip to Diagon for Selene and Aribeth? Selene would be terrified of a broom flight - especially her first one tongue.gif]

----- Morgana Pendragon ----

As the trio entered the bookstore, Mrs Pendragon answered what she saw as an unspoken question in Samuel's statement.

"Appearances are important to pure blood lines - but they should never take priority over the preferences of the individual member. After all, a contented family is more industrious in achievements over one with inner disagreements - spoken or unspoken."

Whether that view was the opinion of the Selwyn family as a whole - or just the Pendragon branch - wasn't clear. The fact that Mrs Pendragon believed in those words wasn't in question.

Morgana hid her rolling eyes expression - though not well. It was clear she'd heard that speech before - many times.

The required textbooks weren't hard to find - it seemed that this store had made sure of having an appropriate number of each in stock this year.

((Aribeth didn't take that into account.))

It was outside, slide the suitcase handle over the front of the broom, mount behind me, and hold on tightly. And she meant tightly. Fortunately, diagon alley wasn't too far away, seeing as they were still in london, and the sky stayed dark enough for them to fly with the assurance of remaining unseen, especially with the lights and smog obscuring the stars. They landed in an alleyway (not diagon alley), Aribeth purchased a breakfast for them both, and they entered Diagon shortly after the sun rose. "Let's see. I gave that letter to your mother, but I'm pretty sure I can remember the school supplies. She counted silently on her fingers under her cloak. "You'll need your robes, hat, cloak, cauldron, books... Can't forget your wand. Oh, and your telescope, scale, and phials." 'I always forget those' Aribeth assumed she would probably be paying for this, but she could send a total of the money spent over to the Silver house once all was said and done. "I'll need you to come with me for the robes, but the books and basic things I can get myself while you look for your wand." Aribeth remembered getting her school supplies here. She was always the adventurous one and her mother let her wander off alone most of the time. However, she would try to keep an eye on Selene since she hadn't exactly grown up with these sorts of things.

I am less of a family member and more of a bargaining chip," Samuel replied with a slight shrug. It didn't actually bother him that much since he had gotten used to it. His family would always treat him like that. It was just how they operated. He picked up a few books and compared them to his list before rapidly pulling together the pile of schoolbooks required for the year. He made his way over to the cashier and paid the price for his books before tucking them into his bag. "To the pet store?" he asked, looking at Morgana and her mother.

[True - but then again how many students are comfortable on the first broom - generally speaking? So presumably Selene's fright would be considered normal.]

---- Selene -----

Selene didn't know what she was expecting - but she wasn't expecting that. Her first flight on a broom - and she was too petrified to do anything but hang on during the flight.

At least the food came after the flight rather than before - it helped settle her remaining nerves.

The flight wind had blown her hair back revealing her green left eye, unnoticed to her until she had eaten breakfast and entered Diagon Alley - the nerves, surprise and shock of events distracting her from awareness of it earlier.

Now aware of it, she recovered her green eye with her hair - self conscious of the stares she'd had in the past because of her condition. Selene nodded at the plan outlined by Aribeth - her case clutched in one hand, wheels resting on the old cobbles of Diagon.

[Also since Aribeth is likely to be paying - since the Silvers have Muggle money rather than the currency of the magical community, plus they aren't there -, I'm thinking that a stray cat could start following Selene - save the cost of buying a pet. As for why the cat follows - perhaps it can sense Selene's affinity for a feline Animagus form and thinks 'mummy'?]

---- Morgana ----

Books collected and paid for, Morgana nodded:

"The pet store seems like the next stop to make."

Mrs Pendragon had no objections to the plan, possibly because she was wondering how another family could view one of theirs as less than flesh-and-blood. She wasn't about to criticise another family in public though - that wouldn't be proper.

The pet store had a large collection of Hogwarts approved animals - as well as some not accepted on school grounds. They catered for more than students after all.

Samuel walked into the pet store and was immediately bombarded with various sounds like which he had never heard. His family was not huge fans of pets, after all. They had an owl but it was cared for by the help and they rarely even saw it. "It's very loud," he muttered as he winced slightly. All sorts of ungodly noises were coming from the creatures in the room. His ears quickly adjusted to the loud noise, though, and he lowered his hands. Growing a bit bolder, he began to move around the shop, admiring all of the animals kept there. And then he found the cat pen.

Well, it was more of a kitten pen since they were all babies. They were running about, playing with each other with little regard for him as he watched them.

Zoey looked at Bella with a thought. What had she said? Zoey shrugged, not thinking anything of it. She looked at her watch. "Did you buy your books yet?" she asked, changing the subject. "If not, would you care to join me?"

Edited by Raptor of Dragons

"My mother guessed on most of the books, but I wouldn't mind going to see if they carry anything for animaguses." Bella replied. She grabbed Sooty's cage and stood, "lead the way."

Zoey smiled as she stood up, Fisher hooting in protest as he fell asleep while Zoey was talking. "Great!" she said as she lead the way to the bookshop. "Hopefully, my parents haven't realized I'm gone just yet. I always say, if you want something done, you'll have to do it yourself." She winked at Bella, happy to make a new friend.

"Ho Ho Ho! Some new customers eh? What'd you like from the shop?" Asked the shopkeeper as they walked into the bookstore.

((I would have Selene go get her wand and such. Aribeth will be there if needed. And, you know, it's the cat which chooses the wizard!))

-----Morgana ----

The pet shop was noisy, and after an initial period of adjusting to it - Morgana started to move around, examining the caged animals.

The cats just ignored her, the owls returned Morgana's study with their large round eyes staring back. Most of the toads hid under their warm rock perches to peek out at the students.

---- Selene -----

[Okies - did Aribeth notice Selene's different eyes before she covered the green one? There was enough time for that to happen.... between breakfast and entering Diagon. Will add the cat as Aribeth and Selene head for the robe fitting.]

Considering the wand was something that she could pick up on her own - while Aribeth collected the rest of the supplies, other than the robes - Selene was pointed into Ollivander's.

Ollivander was in the back - restacking the 'rejects' from the last students when the bell above the door announced Selene's entry.

"Ah - another customer!" He exclaimed as he climbed down the ladder. He selected a few wand-boxes, judging these to be the most suitable for a first-year student. Placing these on the counter, he invited Selene to pick one and try it out.

Selene selected the top box, taking the wand out, and then examined it.

"Give it a flick... go on.." Ollivander prompted.

Selene did - causing the till to flick its tray out and spill a few coins out.

"Nope not that one... try another" Ollivander said, as Selene hurried to put the wand away.

Selene tried another, and another. The second one shattered a side lamp, the third animated a stool until out of Selene's hand. Each effect startled her and made her more wary of the wands.

"Hmmmmm - none of those are really suitable." Ollivander frowned at the selection, before perking up and trying to cheer Selene up, "Nothing like a challenge to this old wandmaker."

Selene stayed put, too nervous to touch anything while Ollivander searched the back shelves muttering quietly as he did so. He seemed to find what he was looking for as he came back to the front counter holding a dusty box.

"Try this one." He waited with an expectant look as Selene very cautiously took the contents.

Taking a deep breath, trying to brace herself for the result, Selene gave the wand a flick....

This time nothing bad happened - the wand just glowed brightly for a few seconds, gaining a pattern from the activation contact. Ollivander smiled - another successful match made. And this pairing could be a very interesting one indeed - if his memory didn't fail him, it had already begun. This is the first time I've seen a Yew wand pick a wielder that appears so timid....

"Looks like we found the right wand for you, young one."

[Wood: Yew - Yew wands are among the rarer kinds, and their ideal matches are likewise unusual, and occasionally notorious. The wand of yew is reputed to endow its possessor with the power of life and death, which can be said of all wands; and yet yew retains a particularly dark and fearsome reputation in the spheres of duelling and all curses. However, it is untrue to say that those who use yew wands are more likely to be attracted to the Dark Arts than another.

Core: Dragon Heartstring - As a rule, dragon heartstrings produce wands with the most power, and which are capable of the most flamboyant spells. While they can change allegiance if won from their original master, they always bond strongly with the current owner.

The dragon wand tends to be easiest to turn to the Dark Arts, though it will not incline that way of its own accord. It is also the most prone of the three cores to accidents, being somewhat temperamental.

Pic or description: A 10 inch wand of pale white wood with intricate swirls - in what looks like a silver inlay - curling up to the tip. As the wand is in motion - this inlay seems to change position.

Flexibility: Surprisingly swishy]

Samuel stared into the pen at the kittens as they played. While most were playing a game together, one was being alof and sat off on its own, away from the crowd. Samuel moved around the pen to the kitten sitting on its own and reached his hand into the pen to pat it's head. The kitten stared up at him then bit his finger. Before he could retract his hand, the kitten grabbed his sleeve and began licking his finger. Okay, that was weird. He tried to lift his hand away but the kitten came with him, holding onto his sleeve with its claws. "Umm," he said, looking around nervously. "What is it doing?"

"Ho Ho Ho! That one seems to have taken a liking to you! if you want to buy her that'll be a Galleon" Said the Shop owner of store.

(( Reminder! Exchange rates 1 Galleon = $10, One Sickle= $0.59, One knut= 2 cents, Also 29 knuts in a sickle and 17 sickles in a galleon, It's confusing I know, but try and make Your characters react to the costs and stuff, like a wand can be 7 or 8 galleons at the least.))

Edited by Totts

((I believe Harry paid seven Galleons or so for his wand? xd.png I started the first book again yesterday hehe. Anyway, doesn't really matter - is it too late to join? biggrin.gif))

A galleon? That wasn't too bad. He tried to lift the kitten with his other hand but it took a swipe at his hand with one of its paws. Samuel frowned and managed to get it back in the pen. "I'm not sure," he replied as he stared at the kitten, who promptly went back to being aloof. "I don't know. He keeps biting me." He started to walk away, only for the kitten to meow furiously and try to scale the glass walls. Moved by its pleas, he quickly return and lifted the kitten up again. The kitten latched onto his shirt front and hung there by its claws. Samuel quickly fished out a Galleon and held it out to the shop owner with a sigh. "I don't think he'll let me leave without him," he commented as he stared down at the kitten.

(( Not too late, just put them in Diagon, no stuff back at their home, let them go around buying things, also when we reach page 7 we are going to start to board the Express.))

"Aye, she is a bit bitey, think she's got a bit of kneazel in 'er I do." Said the shopkeeper as he scratched his chin.

The shopkeeper kept referring to the kitten as female but Samuel was near certain it was male. Down there certainly looked like a male, at least. "Does he have a name?" He asked. The cat was entirely black-or perhaps just a dark shade of grey that appeared black- and had pale blue eyes that stared up at him as he conversed with the shopkeeper. "Or do I get to name it? I've never had a pet before so I'm not sure how that works."