Totts

Hogwarts!

Zoey looked back to the entrance. There was someone standing at the entrance. Zoey shrugged before browsing the wands. She picked one up and swirled it around. "Ah! I see you prefer the griffin featheres wand," the owner of the shop said. "Very special that wand." Zoey inspected it a little bit. It was made out of cedar and had a griffin feather? Very special indeed. "I'll take it," Zoey said, taking out some money to pay the guy.

----- Morgana -----

"It won't be a problem." Morgana assured Samuel, "Madam Malkin's probably finished already, so that won't take long."

Shopping in itself wasn't that exciting - though new school year should be.

As predicted, Morgana's mother was standing outside Madam Malkin's with the robes packed - looking around for Morgana. Even if she'd wanted to - Morgana couldn't have slipped past to the other shops, Mrs Pendragon-Selwyn had too sharp an eyesight.

"There you are. I see you've got your wand - and met a fellow student." She smiled at Samuel, "On your own? - we can't have that. You must stick with us."

Morgana's mother was rather chirpy and bright, very likable - if you could put up with her mother hen fussing for any length of time....

((I just usually prefer not to tamper with other people's characters ^^; ))

Aribeth hadn't realized that Selene had been watching until the girl spoke. Both adults looked over at the child, Aribeth with curiosity and Misses Silver with a slight distaste. It was as if she had swallowed something a bit too salty. The woman in the blue cloak was too preoccupied to notice. "Something like that." She didn't want to admit at the moment that she wasn't quite sure of the entire spectrum of what she was going to be teaching, but black magic was a decent guess. "The Dark Arts are just another term for Dark Magic. Harmful potions, curses, boggarts, basilisks, and the like."

Edited by ArchiosLukos

[Fair enough - just thought I'd mention that they were NPCs just in case it wasn't realised]

---- Selene Silver -----

Whooops, did I just say that out loud? Selene thought. Apparently she had, considering the pair just turned to look at her. She shrank back slightly,

"I didn't mean to eavesdrop..." Selene's voice trailed off towards the end, "I'm Selene..."

Knowing her daughter wasn't easily heard when she slouched like that, Mrs Silver made the introduction.

"The timid mouse over there is Selene." The inflection on the words 'timid mouse' was a cross between a rebuke and something less favourable.

Samuel followed her out of the store and over to her mother. Unused to the actual caring and compassion that seemed to practically oozed out of her, he frowned and lowered his gaze to stare down at his feet. His body stiffened up considerably and he stood up a bit straighter, showing off the manners that had been drilled into him to make him presentable and not as disappointing. "Yes Ma'am," he muttered then quickly repeated it, careful to articulate every syllable.

--- Morgana----

She did note Samuel's change of posture, and his form of address, realized she hadn't really introduced herself and corrected that with a soft laugh:

"Ma'am makes me feel old. Please call me Nimue or if that seems too informal, Mrs Pendragon." She could have used the double barrel surname or even Mrs Selwyn, but the latter seemed clunky and the former slightly misleading.

The Pendragon-Selwyns were after all a relatively new branch of the Selwyn clan - having been formed only seven generations ago and Mrs Selwyn was the elderly matriarch of them.

Mrs Pendragon-Selwyn then asked the pair, even though she knew or could guess Morgana's response.

"So which supplies shall we head for first? Books or alchemy items?"

Samuel nodded although it would be hard not to call her Ma'am. Perhaps Mrs. Pendragon would be fine as well. If his own parents were here-and they would never be for they couldn't pay attention to him for five minutes let alone go shopping with him-they probably would have tried to force him and the young girl to get engaged. It was all about preserving blood and Pendragons were quite prestigious, at least from what he had learnt.

"It doesn't really matter," Samuel replied. Their decision on which one to go to first would hardly affect the flow of the universe. He was impartial that way and cared not since his life was worthless anyway. Everyone's was, weither they choose to admit it or not. "My name is Samuel, by the way," he said, turning to the two of them once more. "Samuel Rowle."

Curling up on the step of the wand shop, Bella waited for her mother. She pulled up the hood of her black, muggle-made jacket. The owl, Sooty, sat to her left, off the step. "Looks like it's just you and me for awhile." She said to it. She reached her fingers between the bars of the cage, the owl skittered away, nervous at first. Just as Bella started to curl her fingers back, the owl tapped its beak on them. "Yeah. I suppose we're pretty alike."

Aribeth nodded at her in greeting as they were introduced. "It is good to meet you, Selene. I believe I forgot to introduce myself earlier. I am Aribeth Hawke, Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher at Hogwarts." she made a bow and flared out her cloak for dramatic effect. She rose back to a standing position and smiled at the girl. "If you don't mind, Mrs. Silver, I would request that your daughter be packed as soon as possible so that we can procure her school supplies in a timely manner."

---- Morgana ------

Mrs Pendragon acknowledged Samuel's introduction with:

"A good to meet you, Samuel."

"Morgana." Morgana said, since Samuel had already guessed her family name on meeting.

Mrs Pendragon considered the shops they still needed to visit,

"The bookstore is closer, so that seems the most efficient route."

----- Selene ----

Selene acknowledged Aribeth's introduction, glad that she didn't seem mad at her for listening in.

"That shouldn't be a problem." Mrs Silver said, in reply to Aribeth's request. "Selene can be packed easily enough - I gather that a school such as Hogwarts is a boarding one."

Boarding school... I wondered when they'd ship me off. After all, I'm not as valued as my brothers. Selene thought, and nodded in agreement with her mother's assessment of the packing.

Mrs Silver frowned at Selene, not really wanting to delay any longer,

"I believe there's an empty suitcase under the wardrobe in our room that can be used."

Taking that as a dismissal, Selene skittered back upstairs. The sound of the suitcase being rolled across the landing could soon be heard, along with the sound of bedroom doors being cracked open for curious peeping eyes.

Samuel nodded and walked along side them. There was a strange warmth he wasn't used to that radiated of Morgana's mother. It made him feel strange but was pleasant, to say the least. "We're allowed to bring pets," he said as he produced the supplies list. "Are you going to get one? Cats, owls or roads are approved."

------ Morgana -----

Morgana considered the pet options as the trio continued the shopping.

"Yes, I will be getting a pet. Though I haven't decided on which one yet. What about you?"

Each animal allowed had both good and bad points to them, and Morgana was mentally weighing those carefully:

Owls were useful as messengers - but she didn't necessarily need one since the school had their own.

Cats were independent at best - unpredictable and bad tempered at worst.

Certain Toads produced natural secretions [natural poisons/hallucinogens] that could be useful in potions class - but were prone to being scared by other student's cats.

(( okay right, since this is set in britain, please use the british spelling variants when speaking, like putting "The owl had a blue colored note" Is fine but calling your mother Mom in this is not allowed, please use "Mum"))

Zoey and Fisher left the wand shop with Zoey's newly paid wand, wondering what it could do when she noticed the person was still there. Smiling, she sat next to her. "Hi!" she chatted. "My name is Zoey, and this is Fisher, my pet brown fishing owl. What are your names?"

(( okay right, since this is set in britain, please use the british spelling variants when speaking, like putting "The owl had a blue colored note" Is fine but calling your mother Mom in this is not allowed, please use "Mum"))

((One problem that may be encountered with that request is this: some browsers auto-correct the British spellings to the American versions as the British is viewed as 'wrong/a typo' by the browser ))

((Unless we've grown up on using English variations, I don't think that we should to use Mum instead of Mom. There are a lot more things other than the way we pronounce/spell mother that we would be using if we were pretending to be British. I don't think we shout be fretting over Mom vs Mum. I don't think many of us are going to know how to properly use English slang either.))

"I have enough money," Samuel said as he patted his bag. "My family has an owl but I most likely will not be using it or anything to exchange letters. My family doesn't really care about me so writing letters won't be necessary. I'm not partial to toads but I've never had a pet before so I do not believe I could care for a cat. But I'm not sure. Perhaps one will choose me, just like this wand did." He looked back to her, a slight smile forming on his face. He was starting to grow a bit more friendly and less awkward. "Will we go there last or after the book store?"

----- Morgana ----

"Most likely after the book store." Morgana replied, after trying to visualize Diagon Alley's layout.

"Perhaps one of the pet store's inhabitants will stand out as the ideal partner."

She agreed with Samuel on that point - since she still wasn't certain on her own pet choice.

Conversation seemed to flow better now that they'd been around each other for a while - as well as the introductions being out the way.

"Do you have any preference on School Houses?" Being in a magical family had some advantages - for example, knowing of Hogwart's Four Founders and the Houses named after them.

"My family has always been Slytherin," Samuel replied. Although it didn't really matter, he had given some thought to the houses. "I was thinking Ravenclaw or Slytherin would be fine. But I don't want to be in Gryffindor or Hufflepuff. I'd rather leave the school than be sorted into those two. My parents would probably disown me as well."

---- Morgana -----

Out of the Four Houses, Morgana felt the most affinity for Ravenclaw - even if that was just the family blood talking.

"Ravenclaw does have a reputation for the academically gifted," she mused, then added, "That does seem harsh, being disowned for not sharing the traditional House of the family. Though it has been known to happen in the distant past within pure blood families - mainly with Squibs..."

Zoey and Fisher left the wand shop with Zoey's newly paid wand, wondering what it could do when she noticed the person was still there. Smiling, she sat next to her. "Hi!" she chatted. "My name is Zoey, and this is Fisher, my pet brown fishing owl. What are your names?"

[gonna assume you mean Bella.

Also, there's several different dialects of English within the UK. There's cockney, proper, and others. Not every single one has the same slag, and sounds completely different. I'd rather not deal with googling slang...]

Somewhat startled by the greeting of the girl named Zoey, Bella starred at the girl for a few seconds. "I'm Bella, and this is Sooty." She said in a quiet voice, as if speaking too loud would frighten the other girl away. She noticed the wand in the other girl's hand. "Are you going to Hogwarts too?"

The Hogwarts express has just pulled in to platform 9 4/3 *Ding Dong* "Hello, this is the hogwarts express driver, please may all students board the bus before this topic reaches page 7, thank you" *Ding Dong*

Edited by Totts

[Just to try and get Selene closer to the other students progress...]

---- Selene -----

As Selene's mother predicted, Selene's packing was easy - after retrieving the suitcase. It still took some time, but that wouldn't be too much of a problem.

After all, there still may be some questions to be answered. Like:

"How did Selene get into Hogwarts? I don't recall any application process to be gone through." Not that Mrs Silver was complaining - Hogwarts as a boarding school got her daughter out of the way for most of the year if not all of it.

After packing clothes and basic stationary, Selene changed into jeans and a simple long-sleeved top. Her pale blue nightie got added into the case before it was closed.

Carrying it down the stairs meant she wasn't as quiet as she was the first time round.

"My family insists on keeping their image up," Samuel admitted. "In fact, whenever they are talking to me it is to try to set me up with another pure blood to marry." He looked up at Morgana's mother, a frown on his face. "I wasn't aware other pureblood families behaved differently." He turned into the bookstore and held the door open for the two. It wouldn't take too long to get their books and then it was on to the pet store.

((Please avoid spamming.))

Edited by pudding

"Yeah, but I don't want to," Zoey said. "My parents are making me go." She pulled a rather interesting face before turning to Bella. "That's a rather lovely name, Bella. You excited going to Hogwarts?"