Starbit

ANSWERED:Groups and View By

I've read tagging and tabbing and filter suggestions and none of them really seem to be like this so I'll give it a shot.

It's been a while but I always liked the way Wajas did groups/breed view. You could manually sort your Wajas, but then on a list on your main cave page you could select to show just Wajas of a certain breed. So for example, I manually rainbow sort my scroll but I do have certain dragons I keep at the top as they're my Weyr leaders. By using this option, I could keep my manual sorting, but if I wanted, view by what type of dragon it is and maybe even other options like gender, cb/lineaged, ect ect. I know this part is rather like our current filters, but I think expanding it wouldn't hurt.

However wajas also allowed groups. So I could keep my scroll manually sorted, but add dragons to certain 'groups' eg I might have a group named Even Gen or a group named Lineage Project or whatever I so wished. I could then add dragons to this group and the select it from a drop down menu to show the dragons just in that group. However you could also use breed/filter view WITHIN these groups. So say I had a Even Gen group and I wanted to only see all the Nebulas in that group I could. It would be useful as well if viewers to your scroll could select these groups or use breed view.

For example, I offer to breed someone anything from my scroll. Now I've easily got over a thousand dragons and as it stands they would have to look through every dragon on every page. This way, they could either select a breed/filter and just view the dragons I have of that breed/filter, or select my group of even gen dragons and look through that, or narrow it down even more by using breed view and groups.

Additionally, if you clicked to view a group or view by breed/filter it would show you the total amount of dragons of that breed/in that group. This could even be narrowed down further to showing the total amount of adults and the total amount of hatchies or as specific as you like.

This would not only make it easy for me to see how many Black dragons I have, but how many even gen dragons I had, or how many of them were Blacks. Or how many females. Or how many CBs. And it would make it easy for someone I was willing to breed for to find the pair of dragons they wanted.

Edited by Starbit-Plushie

I would actually like this very much, if you could have a given dragon assigned to more than one group. For example if I have an even gen Dorkface and I had groups of "Dorkface" and "Even Gen" I would like to be able to display it with both groups.

I would definitely make use of this - I like it better than tabs, honestly, because dragons could be assigned to multiple groups. It would take forever for me to sort them, but I don't care, it would be worth it. biggrin.gif

I agree, this would be seriously useful. The best part is the ability to assign a dragon to more than one group, in my opinion. My Elementals and my Patriots overlap.

Oh good everyone seems to be liking it =D

I'm presuming by tagging, you would have to tag each dragon individually. This wouldn't be so with grouping and therefore would be good for larger scrolls. I was thinking that you could individually add/remove a dragon from its action page eg 'Edit [dragoname]'s groups' but also have an edit group(s) function either in/around Sorting Options or on the group page itself. This would allow you to create or delete a group and change the name of the group and add/remove dragons via tickboxes (I would love a drag and select but I think realistically tickboxes would be easier). The tickboxes would be next to a smaller linked image of the dragon and its name/code and gender symbol. This way you would be doing a lot of clicking but wouldn't have to individually add each dragon via its action page or whatnot like tagging would. So this I think is a viable alternative to tagging for people who don't like tagging or have very large scrolls.

I think the new filter/breed could either go in or next to the filter dropbox. So one would be your traditional filters and the next if it wasn't integrated could be something like view by and then you could select a breed or gender/stage/whatever. Then either another dropbox or one to replace sort by with your groups in it.

Yes, dragons would be able to be part of multiple groups. And obviously there would be just an 'ungrouped' option to view dragons with no assigned groups.

There would probably be a section on the dragon's page too saying Group(s):

I also think that for those who like things to be IC, that groups of dragons together, especially in a large weyr, makes more rp sense than dragons with labels x3

Actually, this reads itself like Tags. Calling it "Groups", or maybe even better: "Flights" in DC might be better, thematically, but it still is a tagging system you are proposing, so I think this should be merged into the respective thread. smile.gif

It's not tags. And it includes the view by function within it which is different entirely and works with the groups. It also functions as a breed counter and dragons are put into groups via tickboxes/drag and select.

Had a quick scan again through the tagging thread and here are some key differences

* Tagging is only for non-growing items. View by would not require growing items and IMO I don't think groups would either.

* Can group en masse instead of individual tagging - much easier for larger scrolls

* View By function entirely seperate from groups and can be used in conjuction also

* Dedicated manage groups function on account page

* Grouping is for SORTING. Tagging is for CLASSIFICATION.

* Groups can be used for RP purposes better than tags. For example on my Wajas I have groups based on their roles in the pack - hunters, defenders, ect ect. What if someone who RPs their dragons wants to do the same? To tag them that is awkward and impersonal, where a group of hunting dragons makes perfect IC sense to them and their characters.

If I'm understanding this correctly, (chronically overtired, lol) this sounds great - and check-boxes actually sound much better than drag and drop to me.

In this would you be able, though, to keep your scroll on whatever sort you like (I actually like mine in the order they arrived in) and just switch back and forth for viewing and selection of specific groups for breeding and other purposes?

As in having multiple saved sections with dragons assigned to whatever multiple categories they may fit into?

It's not tags. And it includes the view by function within it which is different entirely and works with the groups. It also functions as a breed counter and dragons are put into groups via tickboxes/drag and select.

Getting hung up on this (and a little upset), but trying to answer in a work-like conduct:

I'll represent your points and how this works excactly the same with tags, or why I think it's absolutely the same, just another name.

Had a quick scan again through the tagging thread and here are some key differences

* Tagging is only for non-growing items. View by would not require growing items and IMO I don't think groups would either.

Where or when Tags can be applied is highly flexible, so saying it is only for growing items is simply an assumoption that has no merit. In no way are there any restrictions like that necessary, that would no be necessary for your idea as well.

* Can group en masse instead of individual tagging - much easier for larger scrolls

What you're describing here is an easier interface for tagging. Pick 10, say "apply tags". It works like that in gmail.

* View By function entirely seperate from groups and can be used in conjuction also

Actually thats the only part of your suggestion that is not like tags - but it is an improved filter. There's a thread for that, too.

* Dedicated manage groups function on account page

Did you ever bother to read through my tagging mockup? There's exactly that, a manage tags function.

* Grouping is for SORTING. Tagging is for CLASSIFICATION.

Your suggestion above NEVER said anything about sorting within groups, too.

* Groups can be used for RP purposes better than tags. For example on my Wajas I have groups based on their roles in the pack - hunters, defenders, ect ect. What if someone who RPs their dragons wants to do the same? To tag them that is awkward and impersonal, where a group of hunting dragons makes perfect IC sense to them and their characters.

It's absolutely irrelevant to the implementation whether you want to call it Tags, Groups, Categories or as I previously said, Flights. It's basic principle is tags, and your explanations above have only cemented that.

If I'm understanding this correctly, (chronically overtired, lol) this sounds great - and check-boxes actually sound much better than drag and drop to me.

In this would you be able, though, to keep your scroll on whatever sort you like (I actually like mine in the order they arrived in) and just switch back and forth for viewing and selection of specific groups for breeding and other purposes?

As in having multiple saved sections with dragons assigned to whatever multiple categories they may fit into?

Exactly. You would have your main scroll sort/view but could view specific groups from a drop down without interfereing with your main sorting.

Exactly. You would have your main scroll sort/view but could view specific groups from a drop down without interfereing with your main sorting.

OMG, I would so love this!

Even though the initial set-up sounds murderous, it would save so much time and hassle, if you were allowed sufficient categories.