Mousia

Firefly: Opportunity

Jay had waited for some kind of change of plans, but as none were forthcoming, he decided to blast off from this dustball and get to the Black. He saw the new face try to rise from her sitting position at the blood transfusion. Blood loss probably blacked out her vision, for he saw her sway. He started towards her, when she was saved from grievous injury by the reflexes of Xiao, sitting down hard, catching he breath. He slightly shook his head in amusement. He turned around and headed towards the bridge.

Just as he reached the top of the stairs, he heard the unknown woman ask for directions to the empty shuttle. He was about to answer her when Xiao pointed out where she needed to go. He sighed, annoyed.

The annoyance gave him pause. He needed to focus. I best get this ol' girl in the air instead of trying to... Trying to what? Impress the new woman? Jay shook his head again and went to the bridge in earnest this time.

Within moments he had punched in the launch sequence of the Firefly class Opportunity, glad he had kept the engines running, and eased the ship into orbit with as much care as he could. Xiao no doubt had a steady hand, but he kept the shaking down to a minimum none the less, with extra power to the inertial dampeners.

The smoothness of zero gravity signaled the arrival in orbit and he set course for their next destination.

((OOC: since we're all inside, I thought we could blast off. If this is going too fast, please, let me know and I'll edit the post smile.gif ))

Ezra went around to his side of the stretcher and grabbed both ends, kneeling down and preparing to lift it once Xiao was ready. Her little momentary pause to answer the other woman had irritated Ezra, who wanted nothing more than to get this over with.

He felt the ship rise and readjusted his grip around the stretcher before clearing his throat. "Can we get a move on" he spoke, urging Xiao to lead the way.

Xiao nodded to Ezra and led the way to the medical bay. Once there, she transferred the captain from the stretcher to the medbed.

"Thank you for your help," she said to Ezra as she began to check that none of the captain's wounds had reopened in the process. Satisfied that the stitches had held, she carefully removed the blood-drenched jacket and shirt - the only thing to do now, was wait until the captain woke up.

A reluctant Ezra followed Xiao as she led the way to the medical bay, Ezra's arms showing no sign of fatigue from having to carry the stretcher down the rather tight hallway.

As Xiao gave her thanks, Ezra simply nodded and disappeared down the hallway, not wanting to be forced into another form of unpaid labor. Once he turned the corner, he quickly headed towards his allocated room, not wanting to carry his weapons around any longer if there was no need to do so.

Pulling up a chair beside the unconscious captain, Xiao considered her new predicament. Lyra had offered her a job as the ship's medic and even Athena thought she was a genuine doctor. The whole idea of her as a healer was so ludicrous, that she didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Still, she thought as she looked upon the still form of the captain, it had felt good to do something for the living for a change.

She had more pressing matters to considered though - she had missed her window to leave the Opportunity and now she was trapped here with, what she suspected to be, an Alliance Agent. She had no intention of being returned to the Alliance; not after what they did to her and certainly not after what she did for them. Instinctively, her tongue swept over her teeth and molars. Still there. Of course it was still there, she chided herself; she had never removed it and obviously it had never been used. That did give her options if there was indeed an Agent on board...

Xiao lost herself to her thoughts as she started planning for all possible outcomes...

Athena watched as the captain was carried out of the cargo bay with a small polite smile, she wanted to draw as little attention to herself as possible as she again attempted to stand seeing as her previous attempt to ask for help failed. The companion slowly got onto her knees and paused before continuing looking around and behind her for a stable place for her to hold onto. She found a railing just to her right and clasped it with both hands just to be safe as she slowly hoisted herself up. She straightened her dress as she leaned against the railing of the ship as she felt it lift off and move away from the god forsaken planet.

Taking a couple deep breaths she closed her eyes for a calming moment and let go of the railing as she confidently yet carefully strolled across the cargo bay to retrieve her purse that was made specially for her by a client. Her head was light and she felt that she needed a nap but she would have to do that later, her footing wobbled as she opened her purse.

Luna, conflicted with being a good person and yet not really wanting to touch the companion, decided that maybe she should help the woman. Mostly because she looked as though she was ready to fall over any moment now. "Hey, you need help?" she asked, "I also know my way around the ship fairly well, so I could help you find the first mate." besides, Luna needed a walk to clear her head. If she learned more about the profession, maybe she'd hate the woman less. Maybe. She just didn't see it though, how they could do that. It just didn't seem like a thing that was fun or anything just… she changed the subject though. "So… you're a companion? I've never met one in person before. Do you all dress like that?"

She just wanted some small talk to clear her head. If she kept walking, then maybe she could put the memory of the captain behind shot behind her. Just like every other memory of the sort. It seemed like all she did most days was hide from the problem until it was fixed. Maybe that was why she liked tinkering, no people to remind her, only progress to push her. She'd have to find a decent place to tinker though… away from these Browncoats. She wanted to ask Xiao more, but judging from her papers and general state of her quarters, she was running too. Luna couldn't say from what, but Xiao was running. It took one to know one.

The companion looked up at hearing Luna's voice and arched a delicate blonde brow, but she did not question and figured she did truly need the help to find the first mate. "Thank you Luna." She placed a light hand incased in brow gloves on Luna's upper arm as they started to walk. Blue eyes watched the green haired women beside her intently as she could almost taste her unease radiating from her.

"I am." She said as she turned her eyes towards her feet feeling like she did not want to make a fool of herself a second time by falling again, and as for the clothes she looked down at them and sighed, "Well, no," she looked at her long blue dress with the small slits on either side, brown leather corset, brown gloves, knee high boots, and metal bands around her upper arms that sparkled in the dim light, "There is no regulation in how we look, we specialize in knowing how people would like us to look in any situation. This is a simple outfit really." She told her as she made a note to try and dress a bit less like a companion around Luna, maybe she could make her see that she was just a human being like anyone else on this ship trying to earn a living. Although she had a feeling that her livelihood was the only legal one on this ship.

Edited by XxWaterGaridanxX

((Xiao is currently waiting for the captain to wake up, so no IC post from me. Does anyone else want to post?))

"A simple one? I could never wear something like that. I tend to get a bit grease-stained when I work on stuff. Plus, I don't doubt that flashy outfits like that draw attention to yourself. I… I'd rather stick to the shadows." Luna shrugged, which was uncomfortable and awkward while Athena was leaning on her. She probably shouldn't do that. "Listen, I've had a bit of a…" she searched for the right word, "sheltered childhood? I don't know. Don't try to impress me or get close. I'll be off this ship sooner or later. Dress how you like, not on my account." the way she figured it, Athena would either feel bad and try to make up to Luna, or try to dress flashier. The last thing she needed was someone doing things that they didn't want to on her account. She couldn't do that to anyone on any scale. It was wrong, and she knew it was wrong. Luna had to double check to see if they were going the right way, and after a second she was positive. Maybe walking with an extra weight just made them slower? Yeah, it definitely did. Felt they had been walking since forever.

((I will not let this RP die!!! But I can't post at the moment but I shall be back. Someone post. You boys aren't helpful at all making all the girls save my poor companion. Lol yay firefly. ))

(You boys aren't helpful at all making all the girls save my poor companion. Lol yay firefly. ))

((Not me. Xiao doesn't think there's anything wrong with being a companion. In fact, it's a more honest job than many other professions out there. So Athena needs no saving in Xiao's eyes.))

(xd.png I'm glad people care about this enough to bump it and stuffs. Try to stay on topic more, but I appreciate the enthusiasm. wink.gif)

Heh... Everything's all fuzzy! Opening her eyes slowly to the harsh white light of the infirmary, Lyra tried to sit up but found that she was too weak to move very much. And her chest hurt like hell. Even shifting slightly made her ache incredibly. Turning her head to look at Xiao, she smiled softly and tried to chuckle, but stopped due to the painfulness of the act. "You didn't get off the ship. Does that mean you accept my offer?" Struggling against the pain, she managed to sit up instead of lying on the semi-reclined sickbed. "How long until I can get back to my job? I don't want to have to be a sitting duck for too long. It's dangerous out in the black. Don't wanna get shot twice..." It was obvious that she had a particular disdain for weakness, principally her own. Perhaps, it Xiao was truly curious, she would ask the wounded captain why she even bothered with such a life. High risk, low reward. Who would be so stupid to accept such an occupation? The answer? Someone with a goal other than money, success, or longevity. Someone out for blood. Someone out for revenge. Someone out for adventure.

Xiao merely nodded in response to Lyra's first question. It did look like she had accepted the position of ship doctor, for better or worse. Maybe it was for the better, really. She had spent most of her life in remembrance of the dead and it had brought her no solace. Possibly, helping the living would serve her better.

As for the captain's next question...

"If you're willing to take it slow so the regenerated skin and stitches can heal and you submit to check-ups twice a day, I see no reason for you to stay here. You will be feeling woozy and dizzy, so you'll have to rest more in between work."

She waited a moment to let the 'good' news register, then continued...

"There is something I've been wondering. A gunman takes down the captain, but does not attempt to board the ship, steal cargo or even take her hostage. That strikes me as peculiar. Unless it was personal. So who shot you? And why?"

"That's alright so long as it doesn't get in the way. I have to at least make sure the shipment gets to Mister Wells on time and in good shape," the captain responded simply, opting to get up and start out of the room. But when Xiao went on, she turned and smiled a type of smile that poorly shrouded a great deal of anger. "I'd advise you to drop the matter, but you don't seem like the person to just let it go. You'd pull a file on me or something sooner or later. And you wouldn't take a bribe. It's obvious that you've got more on your mind than money." Pausing a bit, she sighed and leaned against the wall to conceal the fact that she was feeling lightheaded already. "An old friend got me. Not the first time it's felt like he shot me through the heart, but the last time wasn't so literal. He and I...we used to be an item. And then I killed his brother and things went south. This... This is why browncoats and purplebellies can't be involved, even after the war." Narrowing her eyes threateningly, she went on quietly. "Satisfied with my life story?"

Jay was satisfied with how Opportunity sailed through the black, away from the Reavers as expeditiously as possible. He played with the gold nugget and the puzzlebox that he got from their contact as payment, and decided to see if the captain was awake.

Making sure the controls were set at the right destination and punching his own code into the electronic lock on the door to the bridge, he made his way towards the infirmary, or where he thought the infirmary should be.

It took him a little while before he found it and he saw the captain standing against one of the walls, talking to Xiao. He coughed.

"Hi there Cap', glad to see you on your feet. Here's the payment from the... supplier." He handed the golden nugget over to Lyra. "He also gave me this. He said you would know how to open it." He handed the little box over as well. "What is it?"

Athena felt slightly concerned for Luna as she listened to the small details that she was willing to share with her. The companion took a step away from Luna , careful to make sure she had a railing to hold onto, and looked at her with almost a motherly care in her eyes.

"Luna I'm not trying to be anything that I am not just for the sake of being your friend. All I as is that if you ever... Well if you ever need anything don't be afraid to ask." She admired the brave choice of hair color that the girl had chosen, "You have a good soul Luna." She told her before she felt slightly uncomfortable with the amount of emotion she had shown and looked around the ship noticing a hall way and a couple of mumbled voices not to far away.

She guessed that the shuttle entrance was right behind her as she had already studied a similar model of this type of ship when she was a girl.

"That must be the infirmary." She started down the hall, "Come one Luna lets see if the Captain is awake." She said talking her hand with her brown gloved one and pulling her along, feeling a bit stronger now that she had a bit of blood to her head.

A familiar voice, one of the man that she had seen earlier and embarrassed herself in front of, spoke about the supplier and some story of payment just as she reached the door and turned to stand in the door way and looked around the stark white room. The room smelled of the cleaning supplies that one usually used in a hospital. She was slightly surprised at how good everything looked.

"I didn't mean to interrupt, forgive me if I have, Luna was showing me to my shuttle but I figured that I might as well know where the infirmary is." she said finally taking in the people in front of her, Xiao seemed to be in her element as she had seen before, while the Captain like an animal in a corner seemed defensive but she had an ease about her. She looked at the pilot of the ship and noticed that his eyes were a far lighter blue then her own dark ones, she could tell that he was a simple man with good morals from simply the way he had spoke to the captain.

"I have some payment for you as well Captain," she said noticing the box but not mentioning since it was none of her business as she began to the the money from her purse.

"Well, this is certainly a packed visiting hour," Xiao commented with some humour. She peaked unabashedly over the captain's shoulder to the box Jay had just given her. Xiao loved a good puzzle and if she was stuck on the Serenity with (possibly) an Alliance agent hot on her trail, she might as well enjoy her last days (or hours).

((Sorry, short post.))

Jay was pleasantly surprised to see the new passenger. He had failed to introduce himself earlier when Xiao beat him to gallantly help her up after she had fallen, but now it seemed he would get a second chance.

He offered his hand to the blonde haired woman: "Howdy. I'm Jay. The new pilot of this here ol' lady." He gestured around to indicate the ship. "Nice to make your acquaintance." He smiled proudly at the use of the antiquated phrase. It made him feel distinguished. That was about all the smooth talk he had. He noticed the new passenger's grace and beauty, trying to focus on her dark blue eyes.

"Athena. Wonderful to meet you Jay." She stated slipping off her gloves before clasping his calloused hand with her soft one and giving it a firm shake. A genuine smile parted her red lips as Jay introduced himself to her in such a simplistic way, most men when meeting her tended to puff themselves up in a most unpleasant manner.

"You do have a way with this ol lady, I could barely feel the take off." She said with genuine praise as she started to tuck her gloves into her bag but as she did so one brown glove fell onto the floor, thinking nothing of it she swiftly crouched and plucked it from the ground but when she stood upright again her head became dizzy once again.

"Oh gods not again." She said as she felt her balance failed her from the sudden movement and she stumbled forward a hand landing against Jays chest being the closest thing to keep her from falling, the black threatening at the edge of her vision but didn't completely blind her. She thought she was fine before but the significant amount of blood lost was causing her to embarrass herself more than she cared for.

Edited by XxWaterGaridanxX

Jay was flattered with Athena's praise of his piloting skills. "Thanks." he said as he almost lovingly patted one of the bulkhead beams of Opportunity. He took her hand and shook it firmly.

When Athena dropped her glove, Jay started forward, but the graceful woman was quick to pick it up from the floor herself. The next thing that happened was rather unexpected as the blond beauty all but fell in his arms.

Years of battlefield experience made him catch her and hold her up rather unceremoniously to prevent her from falling. He eased her to the floor into a sitting position with an almost militaristic ease. "Whoa there. Are you alright?" He glanced over at Xiao to see if she could help him. The Asian woman had always been better at diagnosing and analysing.

Xiao contemplated her supplies for a moment, then turned to address Athena.

"Looks like you're still struggling with that transfusion. If you want, I can give you a saline drip? It doesn't actually replace the blood, but it will make you feel better and stop the dizziness."

((Sorry, short post.))

"No no no. No need to fuss with me Doctor. I'm quite alright really. I just have lost all manor of keeping myself upright today." The companion laughed at herself and noticed the proximity between her and Jay, although she didn't mind.

"But I might need a little more help this time getting back to my room, not that lovely Luna isn't a wonderful guide I just wouldn't want to collapse and bring her down with me." She said rubbing her temples. By the gods she needed a strong drink of tea.

"Jay if you'd be so kind as to help me to my room?" She asked, "it'd be greatly appreciated." She felt slightly pitiful to have to ask someone she just met to help her to her room, oh yes the companion calls upon the help of the man for he is strong. Of course, what has she done, it hasn't even been 24 hours yet.

((Well I shall post ))

Jay helped Athena up again. "Sure thing, ma'm. The shuttle is around here somewhere." He said jokingly. He offered an arm for support and he led her to the passenger's shuttles without delay.

He didn't mind helping the beautiful woman. She seemed like a nice person, although he made a mental effort not to get fooled by looks or demeanor again. He had seen enough nice or beautiful people snap under pressure, some just by having to spend a week out in the black longer than planned.

"So, to what planet will I be taking you?" he asked in an attempt to start up conversation. He hoped she didn't mind the sweat and dust getting on her elegant clothes. And he hoped he had corked his pocket flask of whiskey tight enough....