Mousia

Firefly: Opportunity

As Athena got closer to the ships entrance she noticed that there was a women lying on the ground in a pool of blood that was now staining the hull along with a couple other women beside her. Painted red lips gasped at the sight as she was instantly worried for the women and wondered what happened. But her jaw snapped back into place when the women one the ground spoke to her in a barely audible voice but she heard it.

Removing the silk scarf for her hair she dug into her purse to retrieve the large amount of cash tied with a string, "Yes ma'am." She replied assuming that she was the captain and waited for the first mate to take the money and tell her where her shuttle was. She looked around at the quaint hull of the ship, she already liked it here other then the captain lying on the ground with a doctor digging I her chest.

After successfully stopping the bleeding, Xiao was now in the process of removing the last of the bone splinters. She was pleased with her work on an academic level - while she hadn't received any official training as a medic, the various teachers she had found during her journeys had all seemed impressed with how quick she learned -, she was still worried about the amount of blood the captain had lost.

She looked up briefly when someone behind her spoke and felt a glimmer of hope. Simple but elegant attire, good looks, perfect hair and make-up - the new arrival showed every sign of being a companion and thanks to their routine physical tests, companions were usually in excellent physical condition and - more importantly - free of disease. Maybe...

"Are you a companion?" she inquired of the woman and continued straight on: "And do you perchance posses blood type O negative?"

She was not surprised by the inqueary of her being a companion for she knew that people could spot her from a mile away with the way she acted, dressed, looked and so on. As for her blood type she knew hers by heart, "Yes, to both of your questions Doctor," she said assuming that she was in fact the doctor of this ship, "I was just at my check up recently in fact."

With that she started to roll up the sleeve of her left arm and setting her purse aside while she walked forward with her heels clicking sharply. "Where would you like me?" She asked, more then wiling to help the deathly pale captain lying before her, "May I ask what happened to her?" By the looks of it she assumed it was a bullet wound but she had to ask.

Ezra continued with his survey, scanning each and every direction for any sign of movement. His senses were at their peak right now, picking up any small movement that looked suspicious or any sounds that did not belong.

He stopped and zoomed in with his scope as a vehicle approached their ship. It had been little over half an hour and it didn't take Ezra long to realize that it was the others returning from their rendezvous with the man called Skunk.

Satisfied that it was not an enemy ship or vehicle, he continued to remain vigilant and keep a lookout...

"May I ask what happened to her?"

Xiao nodded that, yes, the new arrival could ask, but her answer was far less satisfying - though in all fairness, it was the best answer she had.

"I wasn't the first to arrive on the scene, so I can only tell you that she was shot - I do not know why or by whom."

She began setting up a transfer kit as she spoke, connecting the elaborate system of filters and tubes. It never ceased to amaze her that most people still used guns for combat, whilst medical science had advanced to the point where blood could be cleansed of most diseases (though not all, so she was infinitely grateful for finding a companion who had just had her check-up) even during a transfusion - though, she supposed that perhaps killing people simply required nothing more sophisticated than a leaden ball, while healing people was infinitely more difficult.

"We will do the transfer here," she explained somewhat redundantly. "I'd rather not transfer the captain to the medical bay until she is better stabilized."

Indicating a spot nearby where the young woman could sit - or lie down, if she preferred - and carefully connected the captain to the receiving and of the transfusion kit.

"My name is Li Xiao," she offered to the companion woman. She resisted the urge to add that since her name was Asian, that made Li her family name and Xiao her first name - while she often had to explain this to Caucasian people, she knew that companion training would have included a matter of such basic etiquette.

"Might I inquire as to your name?" Even under stress, Xiao's voice was perfectly smooth; pleasant, polite if somewhat devoid of overt emotion, and her pronunciation was absolutely flawless - most people she encountered simply assumed her to have a core world accent, but a trained companion might recognize the absolute lack of one.

She only nodded to the explanation of why the captain was lying before them as Athena gathered up her royal blue skirt and gracefully sat on her knees with a straight back in a respectful manor. Even though they were on a ship in the middle of nowhere she felt that she should treat the brown haired women before her with the utmost respect for working in such conditions as these.

"Xiao is a beautiful name," she stated as she watched her work with precision and a steady hand, she had a different sort of feel about her that made her want to dig deeper into the calm visage that she held so well on her features and in her voice, "Athena Rochellea, registered companion."

The ending slipped through painted lips as a habit, although she was a true companion that had all the qualifications and had a private doctor that she now went to for her check ups she was no longer welcomed in the home in which she came from since they were still investigating.

Athena shook the thought from her mind, "I thought I might be getting myself into some adventure when I found this ship but I did not expect it to start to soon." She said with a small, sarcastic chuckle.

Luna sat and waited for Xiao to patch up the captain. Also, she was certain that if she moved, then she might throw up. Luna had AB positive blood, so she could take from anyone, but only be able to give to other AB positive blood types. Even her blood was useless… "Excuse me, but if you're registered, don't you usually have a house which you live in and the customers go to you?" she thought that was how companions worked, and didn't really know what constituted a difference between them and the other 'companions'. Not to mention, she thought that their way of living was gross. Glorify it all you want, but a protistute was still a prostitute. "Plus, this ship is just full of surprises. Probably all of them not good. Oh, I'm Luna, by the way. Luna Smith."

She had been so rude to the companion, but it weird because she didn't care. She felt fine by thinking that she didn't like this new person. It felt right, because she didn't like people who were vile and scumbags. However, here she was on this ship. Well, at least she fit in perfectly. She was, after all, a murder on the run from her own family and jumping at her own shadow.

Xiao raised a delicate eyebrow at Luna's hostile tone, but didn't comment - it was a fact of life that many people looked down on companions and Athena had probably (and unfortunately) encountered such prejudice before. As for Xiao herself, she didn't feel fit to judge anyone. At least companions made an honest trade without casualties, which was more than she could say for herself or most of the people she'd met in her life. And of course, companions appreciated the delicacy of a fine cup of tea, which was one luxury habit of her upbringing that Xiao still indulged in.

Luna's question, though phrased somewhat bluntly, was valid and had already crossed Xiao's mind too. Companion wasn't exactly a travelling profession, with the exception of a few famous ones and they could usually be found aboard luxury liners rather than dingy old Fireflies. Odds were that Athena was leaving behind, or possibly even fleeing from, some kind of trouble - but then again, she had a feeling most people here were.

Leaving the mystery of Athena to Luna, Xiao instead focused on her work. She connected the transfusion and carefully slipped the needle into Athena's arm.

"Thank you," she acknowledged the companion's help as the transfusion started to flow, before picking up a dermal regenerator to heal the rest of the captain's wounds.

"No. Although it is fairly unusual to be on a ship such as this it is not unheard of. We pick our partners as well as where and when." She glanced at the very pale, green haired, judgmental girl and knew from a glance exactly what she was thinking about her. Although Companions were respected by mostly all there were a few that completely disagreed with the way that they made a living. Sure, Companions were encouraged to enjoy their work but also stay emotionally detached.

But her blue eyes stayed soft seeing how tense she was in front of the captain in her current state, "it is nice to meet you Luna, I wish we could have met in... Less surprising circumstances." She said with a coy smile. She did not feel the need to explain why she was on this ship rather then a luxury liner or a core planet, but if they asked she would tell them.

Athena could not look at the needle sticking out of her arm but she knew that by the ease that Xiao used to insert it that she was skilled, "You're welcome." She replied simply, happy to know that she could help.

Luna looked away when the companion when she said that she wished they had met under less dire circumstances. Luna wasn't exactly expecting it to have been under any other circumstances, since the crew was geared for illegal trade and full of Browncoats. So it would to be before she was on this ship. Most weren't as pleasant, and her home… her home was painful to think about. How could someone enjoy something… like that? It was painful and she was forced into it every time. How could someone enjoy something that caused only pain like that? Besides, Luna didn't want to meet a companion, because she didn't need anyone.

She'd learned that trusting someone only lead to pain. Companions put on a trusting face, which meant that they were hiding something. She didn't say anything about it though, it wouldn't be fair to call her on secrets when Luna herself was hiding her own. She still needed to talk though, just to keep the conversation moving.

"I don't think that we would have met under any other circumstances. I'm kind of a magnet for trouble…" she made eye contact again, rubbing the back of her head as she spoke. "But hey, I think the rest of the crew is too, so no problem. At least they're kind of used to it…"

((Sunday and for a couple days after... I may not be able to post. Moving house.

edit: Nevermind.. everything is fine.))

Edited by TotallyDrow

Athena watched as her blood was drawn and into the captain, she was slightly glad that she now had a favor from the captain in return for giving her the blood she had previously lost. It would come in handy one of these rainy days.

Although Luna seemed to instantly dislike her she felt that she could win her over if she showed her that she was just a person like herself with hardships in her past. But that would be saved for a different day as she knew that the bright green haired girl had her mind set for today. Athena's blue eyes met hers again when she spoke again, "Its alright Luna I can take care of myself." She told her with a genuine kind smile knowing that whatever this ship could throw her way she would be able to handle it, after all she was a companion trained to be ready for whatever this ship had to offer. Who knows it might even be fun.

Xiao only half-listened to the conversation between Luna and Athena, as she was occupied with treating the captain and - more importantly - their discussion was none of her business. Still, with the three of them sitting so closely together, she couldn't help but overhear parts. She decided she liked Athena - the young woman seemed to be both kind and competent.

"Athena," she rolled the name off her tongue as if trying it out. "The ancient goddess of war and wisdom, right? Does the name suit you?" She would have thought that Aphrodite was a more conventional name for a companion, but she liked 'Athena'.

((Let's say the transfusion takes half an hour? So another post or so?))

Edited by Mistress of Whispers

((Sounds good.

And as for what you missed Narath my character, Athena, arrived with money for the shuttle. Coincidentally she is O+. So she is helping the captain with a blood transfusion and taking with Luna who doesn't like her job and Xiao. ))

Athena was about to suggest that they should all have some tea to calm their nerves after this ordeal seeing that it wasn't every day that the captain got shot in the chest. But she might as well mention it later after she had a chance to settle in.

She raised a brow at her name being used and questioned "Yes, I'd like to think so, I'm nothing close to a goddess but her traits have been extensively studied over the years. Although Athena was known to be a virgin goddess." She smiled almost sadly before coving it up with fixing a strand of hair that had fallen from her undo.

Xiao took a moment to study Athena's features when she mentioned that the goddess for which she was named, was a virgin. Could it be that the young companion wished her life had taken a different path? She wouldn't be the first woman to turn to companion training to make her living, whilst she'd rather do something else - especially here on a Rimworld and with such evident beauty.

Respecting the attempt Athena made to cover her show of emotions, Xiao continued the conversation as if she hadn't noticed (even though she wasn't sure if she was a good enough liar to pull one over on a companion).

"So are you very wise or very warlike then?" she asked in jest.

While she spoke, she tied off the transfusion on Athena's end and removed the IV from the companion's arm. She wiped the little wound with alcohol and placed a bandaid over it. It seemed silly to fuss with such a pinprick compared to the captain's injuries, but Xiao was nothing if not thorough.

((OOC: Narath, Jay and Ronon just arrived at the cargo bay.))

Eventually Jay slowed down as he neared the ship and gently eased the craft into the cargo bay. They had been gone for a little over half an hour.

He didn't know whether Xiao had moved the captain to the infirmary or not, so he made sure to be careful when he entered the cargo bay with the mule. He was glad that he did, when he saw Xiao hadn't moved the captain yet. He also noticed the new face. There was a cleanliness about her that he wasn't used to amongst space faring people. That, and she was beautiful. Introductions would have to wait, though.

As the engines of the mule slowly fell silent, he said in general: "Get everyone inside, so we can get off this darn planet and away from the edge of Reaver Space."

Making that his first priority, he waited to hear if plans had changed when they were away, before heading to the bridge.

The companion smiled at Xiao's jest as she did find it funny, since she had studied war strategies and memorized countless things that she felt was unnecessary to share at the moment as she pushed her previous thoughts aside. "You are the wise one dear," she gave the complement honestly as she had seen the doctors hands and voice was steady the whole time, she quite liked this women she had a certain calm about herself that she often mimicked, "I'm fairly skilled in the war of love though." She watched as Xiao removed the needle and bandaged, slowly bending her arm back and forth when she was finished.

A craft moved slowly into the cargo bay with three men abord the mule and Athena watched intently, figuring that these men were the part of the crew that had been sent to town for whatever they needed on this god forsaken planet. So she couldn't agree more when the most likely 30-something man announced that they were going to leave as soon as possible.

"Can I inquire where my shuttle is so that I can get out of everyone's way while we lift off? I wouldn't want to hinder our leaving." She asked in general to anyone who was willing to answer. Athena started to stand from her sitting position beside the captain, Xiao, and Luna. But as she straitened her vision began to form a tunnel and her head felt extremely light as if she might faint, "Oh Gods-" she mumbled as she stumbled backseat from the injured women trying to catch herself.

Edited by XxWaterGaridanxX

Time had passed with no sign of anything out of the ordinairy occuring. Feeling that it was safe enough, he quickly retreated back into the ship, his hand covering his mouth as he made the somewhat long walk back. Of course, he still kept his guard up and continued to look around.

He walked back onto the ship, his gun around his back and the detached scope in his hand. "Nothing out of the ordinary out there... how is the captain doing?" he asked, not noticing the new face.

With reflexes born in too many Alliance exercises (pointless for Xiao's intended use, but a standard part of their 'tests') and honed in war, Xiao reached out and pulled hard on the front of Athena's dress. The intended result would be less than graceful, but at least the companion would sink through her knees and fall on her ass, rather than flat on her head - the last thing Xiao needed, was to tend with a concussion on top of dealing with a gunshot wound.

((The following assumes that Xiao's move worked and Athena landed harmessly on her ass rather than on her head. Just ignore if Athena still had a nasty fall - I'll simply edit/delete the next bit in that case.))

"I apologize," she offered, "I should have warned you not to get up to quickly - or engage in strenuous activity for the next day or so. You just donated blood and it'll leave you a little light in your head."

While she spoke, she tied off the transfusion on the Captain's end and caught some of the blood in a phial. Between Athena just having her physical and the transfusion kit filtering out most known diseases, she wasn't overly worried, but she should still run a test later to see if nothing could have gotten trough.

She glanced up when Ezra approached to inquire after the Captain.

"The Captain will be fine, thanks to our new guest," she said as she indicated Athena.

"I need some help transferring her to the medical bay though," she added. She knew that Ezra's contract wouldn't involve moving wounded from one location to another, but since the Captain was the one to pay him, she was hoping the mercenary would make an exception. Between her own small frame, Luna clearly getting noxious at the mere sight of blood and Athena just having donated, she was certain that she needed additional help to get the Captain onto the waiting stretcher and out of the cargo bay.

Ezra momentarily glanced at the new face before returning to look at Xiao, then down at the captain. Tedious unpaid work was not something he fancied doing.. especially when the task at hand was not what he was here for. However, staying on a planet full of hostility aimed in his direction; even if indirectly was also something he did not fancy doing.

With a rather disinterested look on his face, he secured his assault rifle to his back and slotted the scope into a pocket before kneeling down to help lift the captain. He placed his hands around her ankles and waited for Xiao to support her head.

Xiao was grateful for the help, even if it was reluctantly given, but she took the time to show Ezra an easier way to move the Captain.

"Slide one arm under her back and shoulders, coming up to support her head like this," she said as she demonstrated. "Then place your other hand on her hip, supporting her upper legs. If you pull her lightly towards you, she'll roll onto her side. Then I'll slide the stretcher up against her and you can lower her onto her back on top it again."

She moved away to let the mercenary take up his position and retrieved the stretcher. "This way is easier on our backs and it offers the Captains body more support than simply lifting her by head and feet."

"Ready? On three - one, two..."

((Short post... because Christmas))

It was bad enough that he was already going out of his way to help... for free.. but he was now being instructed on how to properly do it. He sighed and rolled his eyes, before shifting around to the side of the captain and doing as he was instructed placing a hand to support her back and shoulders and the other on her hip, before rolling her lightly towards himself.

((We shall say it works. ))

With a quick jerk she was back on the ground with her knees folded awkwardly and her rear firmly on the ground. Embarrassment flooded her as the black around her vision retreated, she skillfully hid how she was truly feeling with a small laugh.

"I should have a asked for assistance before I stood." She said with a small smile before looking down at her now disheveled dress. The modest neck line was now shoving far more cleavage then she felt like showing at this moment in time and quickly pulling it up.

She watched as the captin was moved by Xiao and the light haired man. The man seemed conflicted about doing such a simple task but he did as asked. She felt an aloof, closed off, energy coming from the man but she would not comment.

"Well, If someone would be so kind as to help me to my shuttle and tell me who the first mate is on this ship so that I can pay for my living quarters I would be greatly obliged." She said as she straightened her back and waited for a reply, if someone was to give her one.

Xiao didn't comment on Ezra's attitude - she wasn't about to let him lift the captain like a dead weight and risk opening her wound, but she also wasn't going to begrudge him his, well, grudge. He was helping and for that she was grateful no matter how much the mercenary huffed and puffed.

Once the captain had been safely rolled onto the stretcher, Xiao took up position at her head - Ezra had originally taken Lyra's ankles, so she assumed he had a preference for that division of labor.

Before lifting the stretcher to take the captain to the medical bay, she briefly answered Athena's question.

"I haven't seen the XO in a while, but you could try the bridge - through that door, down the steps, straight ahead and up the steps. Or you could settle in and I'm sure he'll come find you soon - the shuttle in the far left is yours."

With that, she prepared to lift the stretcher and move the captain.

Edited by Mistress of Whispers