Totts

How was your last dentist visit?

My last visit went pretty good, I guess my teeth like to fix themselves. I am however having some gum trouble. My next visit is in a few days so they'll have to check it out.

I was THRILLED to get an appointment last week; I've been trying ever since the pandemic hit. I have two small chips - and now AT LAST I have an appointment to have them fixed (one even needs a crown - I expected that; it's been building up for that for years.) So - delighted.

I was supposed to go yeterday. Then my ride said at 7:16 pm that they couldn't take me.Then they called yesterday a little after the time they were supposed to pick me up and 'I'll be there as soon as I can. (after I'd just changed into my old clothes so I had to get dressed again). Then she called back and said, 'No, I just can't make it in time.'  Not the driver's fault. She was trying, but the schedulers' fault. 

So I rescheduled with the dentist for the 7th.

And then the dentist office called and said they needed to reschedule and I'd have to wait until the 12th. I said I would take the appointment, because there's a thunderstorm going on and I was surprised the cell phone signal was steady enough to even let me have a conversation. But I'll look for somewhere else for something sooner when it's not storming.

Edited by Long_Before_Sunrise

Very strange. Everyone in respirators and face shields and surgical gowns, The French windows wide open (and it was FREEZING...) And no glass of water to rinse :(

But all that drilling and prep is done and in a couple of weeks I get a crown (which is non-invasive, so she can be back with the regular mask !

She's very pretty - but on Tuesday she didn't look that way at all !

Even emergencies take two weeks in the good ol' US of A.  yay. 🇺🇸

I too don't see a dentist as often as they recommend, but I take good care of my own teeth. I have had too,as there were long stretches of time I didn't have/couldn't afford insurance.

I also suspect the dental staff's true motives at times. Some are just after expensive procedures. I used to move around a lot so I would see different dentists each time, and it was amazing the different opinions I would get. One said I needed my wisdom teeth out as they were impacted and would soon cause "severe pain if you don't do something now." However as my jaw didn't bother me at all I declined, said I would worry about it if/when it started to bother me. Two years later, a different dentist sees nothing wrong with my wisdom teeth they came up just fine. *shrugs*

Absolutely excellent - now I have a crown and my teeth work. But it wasn't cheap.

My last dentist appointment went well! I got 3 out of 8 cavities filled with little issue, just had to ask the nurse to hide the needle because my fight-or-flight WILL kick in if I see one. I don't have any funny reactions to laughing gas, unfortunately, though I did spend my time in the chair listening to AverageTrey's Super Mario Sunshine speedrun docs and ended up stepping out of the chair thinking "Y'know, dentist tools would be a lot more pleasant if they sounded like Trey."

I had a back tooth pulled Monday. It's Friday. The suture is gaping and I keep feeling like there's something I need to chew between my bottom and top teeth, but there is nothing there. *shrug*

During my last dentist visit I had to get fillings. It went pretty well, if you put aside getting your gums stabbed by a needle to numb them up

I love there's a thread for this xD Mine went horrible! I had to have to broken teeth extracted. I always have to have laughing gas because of a bad past experience leaves me pushing away the needle. I did fall asleep, but the were hammering away at my mouth and one of the teeth shattered everywhere. Needless to say days later one clot fell oout and is infected the other is healing nicely even tho that clot also fell out. Im on a high powered antibiotic, the pain is seering, the smell and taste is just as bad, and legit just want to pull my mouth out from the pain. Glad I was at least asleep while they drilled broken teeth I accidentally broke in my sleep due to grinding. Yupee.

Not too bad but…

I have absolute crap enamel and still get cavities even though I brush/floss twice a day and eat pretty healthy, so I was getting a couple small fillings in my molars. 

apparently my dentist didn’t administer the Novocaine correctly because I definitely felt some stuff I shouldn’t have felt. I just kinda let them finish though cause they were almost done anyway. The worst part is they are my neighbor and it makes things really awkward when we’re both doing yardwork at the same time.

My last visit was ok, I went to have four fillings. One of them was a little painful, but then the numbness kicked in. They used a type of drill I haven't encountered before, though, it felt like a motorcycle in my mouth!

Had to have five teeth pulled!  

Side note:  Avoid eating quinoa after having teeth pulled. 

On 6/20/2021 at 2:36 PM, Reidemption said:

I love there's a thread for this xD Mine went horrible! I had to have to broken teeth extracted. I always have to have laughing gas because of a bad past experience leaves me pushing away the needle. I did fall asleep, but the were hammering away at my mouth and one of the teeth shattered everywhere. Needless to say days later one clot fell oout and is infected the other is healing nicely even tho that clot also fell out. Im on a high powered antibiotic, the pain is seering, the smell and taste is just as bad, and legit just want to pull my mouth out from the pain. Glad I was at least asleep while they drilled broken teeth I accidentally broke in my sleep due to grinding. Yupee.

Omgoodness! We’re like the same person!!

On 1/18/2021 at 10:36 AM, Varislapsi said:

All in all, I'm proud of myself that I finally went there despite having this image in my mind before the visit that for sure half of my teeth would have to be removed...

Same! I just went and for sure felt like they’d find like 3 cavities or something like that. Instead i just got a lecture and a cleaning.

On 10/16/2021 at 1:47 PM, Library_gremlin said:

Had to have five teeth pulled!  

Side note:  Avoid eating quinoa after having teeth pulled. 

Omgoodness! We’re like the same person!!

We must be friends xD

I'm on day 3 of recovery from my first oral surgery ever. Never has vegetable broth tasted so good.

Prior to my checkup last month, I hadn't been to the dentist in about 6 years because I had lost dental insurance, soooo there was a lot to do. I had 2 extra teeth pulled from my lower jaw, tissue removed for a biopsy from the roof of my mouth, and a cyst removed from behind my two top front teeth. Funny thing about that extra tissue, I thought everyone had that because I've had it for as long as I could remember. The cyst removal was the second worst part, after the actual needles to the gums for numbing. It took the longest, and they had to re-numb because I could feel it a bit. I had my eyes closed most of the time, but I'm almost certain they literally hammered through the hard palate to get to the cyst.

I miss food. Just a few hours after the procedure, I had accidentally undone one of the stitches somehow by just drinking water. I'm allowed to have soft foods, but I've been too afraid to do so. I finally had a baked (room temperature) sweet potato for lunch. 2 more stitches came undone. I ended up having a smoothie for dinner because I'm too afraid to try actual solid food again. Might try again tomorrow.

Thankfully, and surprisingly, it doesn't really hurt. I only took the painkillers right after the procedure, and that night before going to sleep. At worst it just feels annoying. It's a combination of stitches hanging down, and sort of a feeling like I burned the roof of my mouth a bit.

Not bad actually, thought it would be worse tbh 👍 

All what they say about it's scary and stuff is not really true...