Totts

How was your last dentist visit?

Mine was fine, I had molds taken for braces, but my friend has been told to wait nine months again, He's been waiting for two years, and this was my first time to going to the orthodontist lol, I'm getting removable braces, how was your last visit to the dentist/other dental related area! explain it,

I went to get molds, It was really weird, they have like a kind of play dough, they push it down on your teeth, and then they let it sit there for ages, its really uncomfortable :/ anyways when they did the bottom teeth there was more suction on it and it wouldn't come off easy, scary! so, how was your visit? going back on thursday to get them put on.

Edited by Totts

Last time I was at the dentist they told me I brush my teeth too hard. That was a year ago, and they've been sending me cards saying it's time to come in again, but I've been putting it off...

Why put it off?????

Busy. Lots of projects I felt I had to get done pronto.

I've always enjoyed going to the dentist. First one had a playground thing in the waiting room, you watched movies while they worked on you, never felt any pain. Last dentist I went to as an adult was really nice. They had blankets and people to massage your feet, cable so you could watch whatever you wanted. It was nice and relaxing and one of the rooms even has a fireplace in it. They basically wanted people to be comfortable and calm while there.

My sister cannot stand the dentist because when she first went to one she had a really bad infection and they just kept injecting stuff that was suppose to numb her but it just caused her more3 pain. They poked and messed with her infected gums so much they swelled and turned purple. My mom took her away before they could do anymore damage. Now she has an uncontrolable fear of the dentist, last time she went they gave her sedatives that were supposed to be able to put out someone that weighs much more than my sister (tiny twig about 100 pounds or so). She was still wide awake. It's insane how terrified she is.

So basically my sister and I are complete opposites when it comes to the dentist. I'm the best patient they ever had (their own words) and my sister flips when they try to just look at her teeth.

Edited by Cecona

I have anxiety attacks when I go to the dentist that even the nitrous oxide doesn't help with. :| I am TERRIFIED of having my mouth worked on. This largely stems from being unable to see what they're doing, but also because the stuff they give me to numb me up doesn't really work anymore.

My last dentist visit was actually an orthodontist visit to have the wisdom teeth out and I had IV sedation for that.

I've been told by the dentist I needed braces before but in order for braces to WORK on me, I have to have at least one tooth on the upper AND lower jaws removed...my mouth is just too small for all these large teeth, yet the same dentist refuses to "commit a malpractice" by pulling a healthy tooth. (My teeth have some fairly bad crowding problems; on my top jaw my teeth have almost completely pushed one of my front teeth forward out of place. It's much less of an issue on my bottom jaw.) So now I just don't have braces and my teeth are not fixing themselves.

I've been meaning to go to the dentist here (there's on near the theater, not too far away to walk) and talk to them about getting a tooth pulled but I can't afford it right now...

(What surprises me is that everyone assumes I have trouble biting or eating...my mom and my dentist told me I'd have problems with it later when I was younger, and now that I'm 20 and can still bite down with the front of my jaws and eat properly I've proven them all wrong! xd.png)

But I have good, strong teeth; I've had relatively few fillings in my life, never had a root canal or anything serious beyond wisdom teeth. My brother, on the other hand, has had a root canal, a crown, multiple fillings, cracked a tooth and had that fixed...I feel kind of bad for him, but then he also eats tons of candy/sugar. <.<

Edited by Infinis

Does anyone else go to a dentist that lets you watch tv or movies?

Not me, NHS would think it's a waste, anyways most of my procedures only last 5 mins lol, your dentistry sounds really nice smile.gif

My sister cannot stand the dentist because when she first went to one she had a really bad infection and they just kept injecting stuff that was suppose to numb her but it just caused her more3 pain.

Poor kid. Unfortunately, local anesthetics are much less effective in areas of infection. (Teeth or anywhere else)

I am a tough cookie. I only tried nitrous once, and I made them turn it off because I was not happy with the answer I got to a question I asked regarding % being administered.

Not me, NHS would think it's a waste, anyways most of my procedures only last 5 mins lol, your dentistry sounds really nice smile.gif

Well When I go to the dentist I'm usually in the chair for awhile, and there are long periods of times where you'll be left alone while the dentists are working on other patients. I guess it's done because so many people hate/are afraid of the dentist they just want to make it more inviting and less panic inducing?

Poor kid.  Unfortunately, local anesthetics are much less effective in areas of infection.  (Teeth or anywhere else)

I am a tough cookie.  I only tried nitrous once, and I made them turn it off because I was not happy with the answer I got to a question I asked regarding % being administered.

Yea, the dentist was bad, and now my sister won't go even if she needs the work done.

Edited by Cecona

Lol there is just a long wait here in the waiting room, then you go up and the dentist will see to you and won't stop until s/he's finished.

True story - as a child, my folder at the Dentist's Office had a big orange sticker on the front that said "BITER" in large letters.

I'll admit it - I'm terrified of dentists. I had horrible jaw problems growing up, and too many teeth for my tiny mouth and yada yada yada...one too many bad experiences and it resulted in a full grown woman who can't even step into a dentist's office without loading up on Xanax first. And someone always has to go with me to make sure I don't dart at the first sign of trouble. xd.png

I've worked with animals all my life and have been bitten/clawed/kicked by almost every domestic animal there is...that doesn't phase me. I've got multiple piercings and tattoos and that doesn't phase me. ...Show me a dental instrument though and I will scream like a child who just had their Fun Dip taken away. blink.gif

Edited by danegrrrl

My last dentist visit was actually an orthodontist visit to have the wisdom teeth out and I had IV sedation for that.

Same here.

My anxiety comes from bad dental experience from my childhood. I had to pull out four teeth for my braces. And that dentist should never had been working with kids. mad.gif

Teeth or projects??? besides It'd only take 5 mins.

Hah! Maybe five minutes to fill out and turn in the PTO slip.

I don't remember, it was quite awhile ago but I'm going in a few months, I. Hate. The. Dentist...

Unless they get me out of school, that's an exception I guess :/

Went to the dentist recently to get my braces adjusted and cleaning done. Good experience as usual except that the price is steep.

I've had terrible experiences at my previous school's dentist though. Guess the level of service depends on how much you pay...