Tawanda001

Dragon info line/tag

Would you like a seperate place to enter info?  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I would really like to have a place to put the abbreviations I use for dragon info someplace other than in the name.

I don't really like to name my dragons with CB, IB, EG, etc tagged onto the end and I don't like seeing those in lineages either.

Would it be at all feasible to have a second line under the dragon name (or code) to stick all that info? A small character limit would probably do, 12 characters or so. Scroll view only, maybe with an option to make it visible to the scroll owner only.

I just want a way to know at a glance a little bit about the dragon I'm looking at without having to click on it. I think it would come in handy for breeding (no more having to click on dozens of red dragons trying to remember which one has the specific lineage I want to breed with). I think it would also come in handy when trying to manually custom sort dragons too, like I do.

Would anyone else find this useful?

-------------------------------------------------

Guess I'll flesh this out a little. The way I envision this is to add another action option to "add information". This would bring up a small box just like the "naming" action and would be entirely optional. It would have a choice to make the information public (visible to anyone looking at your scroll page) or private and visible only to the scroll owner. Put in any info that seems important to you, up to a certain character limit.

I'd mostly use it for tags, but you could use it for other things too.

Like:

'breed nxt wk'

'gift from ABC'

'IOU to XYZ'

'zombie fodder'

ETA: Like a post it note, yes, exactly! Thank you Cinnamin Draconna, that sums it up quite well.

Edited by Tawanda001

This isn't something that I would need with any particular urgency, but it definitely would be handy. Like you, I don't particularly like to name my dragons with CB or 3G or whatever and so have to rely on memory for that information.

So yes, short of any complications that could arise from such a feature, I would certainly make use of it.

Yes, I'd certainly use it - people have been begging for a CB mark beside Cave Born dragons to make breeding easier, and for lineages links to be available on dragons on the breeding page so that we don't have to search through hundreds/thousands of dragons on both breeding and scroll pages pages to check everything on a different page almost every time we look for 1st-time/new mates for dragons, something people may have to do dozens of times in a week, trying to breed for people/lineages.

I'd actually prefer the first two options, or at least the lineage page accessibility from all pages, rather than, as it currently stands, having just the breeding pages being excluded from having this linked to each dragon, but this would be at least a work-around, even if it would take MANY hours and much hassle over weeks adding this info to all of possibly thousands of dragons on various people's scrolls.

But over the long term, it would be better than what we have now - as long as THAT, at least, showed on breeding pages.

I would definitely prefer to this to our current situation. I really hate when people have CB, EG, etc. in the names of their dragons, as if they're just breeding tools instead of actual dragons.

I do like this idea. I have those tags on my dragons because I would constantly missbreed if I didn't have them, but I know that some people don't like trading for stuff with that in there lineages.

Also, my information might be out of date on this, but after a few months of inactivity dragons still lose there names right? Maybe they can retain their tags even as they lose thier names? I mean, I'm assuming the tags won't be unique

The only real down side I see is that in addition to still needing to name about 50% of my dragons I would need to rename most of the rest, but that can't be helped

Edited by rumor33

Something like this would be awesome! I hate using greek words to represent generation because it makes me look unimaginative. But it's the only way I can keep my project sorted easily.

Even if it was something that only showed up on a mouseover it would be soooooooooooo useful.

The only real down side I see is that in addition to still needing to name about 50% of my dragons I would need to rename most of the rest, but that can't be helped

even if it would take MANY hours and much hassle over weeks adding this info to all of possibly thousands of dragons on various people's scrolls.

Yeah, I finally hit 2K and it would be time consuming, but I figure it would be a trade off since right now I spend a lot of time trying to figure out which dragon I want to breed with that dragon....

"hmmm I know it's somewhere, which one was it again, click, no, click, no, click, no, darn!" tongue.gif

Also some of mine would have to keep the CB in their names because that is what makes their names unique right now.

It's not a perfect solution by any means, just a simple little something to maybe help a bit with organization and breeding.

I would love this because I despise names with CB or PB in it. It would really make finding stuff much easier.

Interesting idea! With over 3000 dragons, I've tried to sort them according to their breed and prospective mates, but sorting can't work for all possible combinations that I use. I have resisted using tags in naming because it doesn't look right to me, but they would be a great help if they don't show in the name.

Yes!

Yeah, I finally hit 2K and it would be time consuming, but I figure it would be a trade off since right now I spend a lot of time trying to figure out which dragon I want to breed with that dragon....

"hmmm I know it's somewhere, which one was it again, click, no, click, no, click, no,  darn!"  tongue.gif

Also some of mine would have to keep the CB in their names because that is what makes their names unique right now.

It's not a perfect solution by any means, just a simple little something to maybe help a bit with organization and breeding.

Yes, and once it was (finally) done, it wouldn't be hard to keep up on, just added to each new hatchy you're keeping.

As long as that, like the lineage link, wasn't something mysteriously non-accessible from the breeding pages.

Still can't figure out WHY we can't have lineage links on the breeding page, as we do everywhere else the dragon's sprites appear?

Then we wouldn't have to search out each dragon on a separate page and wade through hundreds or thousands to do it every single freaking time a new mate is needed, sometimes a dozen times when looking for a mate for a single dragon - and that also makes Refusals even more devastating, even when you likely have another possibility SOMEWHERE on your scroll...

We certainly do need the pertinent info somewhere we can see it.

Although would there be room to note if a dragon was already assigned a mate?

I have a bad memory, lol, and some pairings I keep forgetting to breed, although I want to; others who were mated to dragons I don't breed anymore because too long-lineaged for current tastes could be used if easier to check on the info accessed from their pages, including the lineages of offspring; others were used as temp stand-ins until I get another but really belong with a particular mate, which I may not recall until I see the lineages of any offspring or of the previous mate...

And with established mates so handily appearing at the top of the breeding page, I don't pay much attention to which, so that in searching for a new mate, I may not remember if that dragon is currently still reserved for breeding attempts with a particular mate.

So, new dragons are often typically PITA bred, so to speak, lol.

Edit: this is the mark of the original Typo Queen - don't be fooled by imitations!

Edited by Syphoneira

I would use this. I hate using the tags 7G SD for my shimmer/tinselkins project.

I'd prefer true tags to this solution, as fitting it into one line with no search/list possibility does not really make my problem any easier. (finding the proper dragons)

Also, like this, it cant be used to e.g. show off all dragons ofa lineage at once, which is also something breeders usually like to do.

So a no from me to dumbed down tags.

Also, like this, it cant be used to e.g. show off all dragons ofa lineage at once, which is also something breeders usually like to do.

Could you explain what you mean by that, I'm not following it at all.

The more complicated ideas for tags, folders, searchable whatevers don't seem to be going anywhere. As much as I'd like to see something like those implemented, in the meantime we have pretty much nothing.

When I want to breed with a red dragon right now I go to a page that has 125 red dragons, with no idea which one is the 4g ss or the 5g PB or the 3g IB that I might be looking for, without having to click through all the different dragons until I hit on the one I want. I'm lazy, I don't want to click through a hundred dragons looking for a certain one.

I can stick those tags in the name, but that looks ugly to me and ruins the look of lineages. Putting that info on a separate line that isn't visible in lineages would fix that for me.

I'm totally at a loss as to how that has anything to do with "showing off all dragons of a lineage at once"?

I'm totally at a loss as to how that has anything to do with "showing off all dragons of a lineage at once"?

That's exactly my point.

With minimal more effort, a full tagging system could be implemented.

And that would give loads more options.

Tagging is neither complicated to use nor hard to implement.

No, I mean I don't understand what any kind of tagging has to do with 'showing off all dragons of a lineage at once'. How does one show off their dragons with tagging?

No, I mean I don't understand what any kind of tagging has to do with 'showing off all dragons of a lineage at once'. How does one show off their dragons with tagging?

In some mail clients you can attach tags to mails. Several to each one. And then you can say, show all that are tagg with "important" or you could show all that are makred as "family" and there can be mails that are in both categories.

So it is extended as you can search and sort by taggs. Something that we will not be able to do with simple added texts

Thank you for the explanation Ulki.

I guess that's not really the sort of thing I had in mind though, just more of a simple way to make a note for ones personal use without it interfering with a naming scheme. This would be something I'd use every day, whereas sorting, showing off dragons, etc, would be something I'd do a lot less often.

Any system that uses tags is usually built so that you group stuff together thats similar/the same, so you can look at them/find them at once.

Examples: Interest-Lists on facebook, twitter hashtags, the whole tumbler-system, gmail-labels etc. A Tagging system could be slapped onto DC in a very short time, too.

you may want to look at http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=146680 for how i'd want this implemented. (of course, it would be nice to add tag-filtering to the breeding page as well)

Any system that uses tags is usually built so that you group stuff together thats similar/the same, so you can look at them/find them at once.

Examples: Interest-Lists on facebook, twitter hashtags, the whole tumbler-system, gmail-labels etc. A Tagging system could be slapped onto DC in a very short time, too.

you may want to look at http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=146680 for how i'd want this implemented. (of course, it would be nice to add tag-filtering to the breeding page as well)

Yeah, ok, I see. But again that's not really the sort of thing I'm after.

I custom sort so most of my dragons are already grouped. I don't need something that will let me easily find all my reds or all my 4g or whatever.

What I do want is something that will let me see at a single glance what ALL those red dragons on a single page have as their ancestry. I don't want a search that will only bring up the 3g ss reds. I want to to see that this one is a ss, the next one is inbred, the next one is a checker, the next one a 5g PB, etc. I want to be able to see that all together at once.

I don't see why both suggestions wouldn't work together since I really don't mean this to be any kind of sorting suggestion, more of a note jotted out to the side in the margins, so to speak.

I really like this idea and would use it a lot. Sure it would be a little work at first.

I don't see why both suggestions wouldn't work together since I really don't mean this to be any kind of sorting suggestion, more of a note jotted out to the side in the margins, so to speak.

My experience with "amateur" sites is that when suggestions are similar, only one will be done.

Yours is a dumbed down version of freeform tagging, which would hinder a true tagging system to be implemented later "because we already have x, y is not being done."

The thing is: allow tags to be displayed on view-page, breeding page, sorting page, and all you want to do is contained in tags. Thats why I called it a dumbed-down version.

whitebaron... you seem to be hooked on tags. What you may not realize is that some of us know all about tags but DO NOT WANT THEM. Tags are NOT the be all and end all of sorting. Personally, I find tags to be messy and redundant.. because 99.9% of folk have NO CLUE how to use them, and half of the folk that do know about them don't use them properly.

For one thing, this suggestion has NOTHING to do with sorting. This suggestion is more like post it notes that you can tack onto a dragon so that it's individual info is right there with it.

Secondly, this is also a way to make naming easier and neater. So that we don't have to use repetitive code words or numbers or anything else that make names look messy and/or stupid.

If you still think tags are about SORTING, you have not understood the concept at all.

Tags are about classyfying stuff, and thats what tawanda wanted - in a simplified version that makes just as much mess. (messy is something you cant help - if people name sloppily, tag sloppily, or use that single line sloppily - the endresult is the same.)

Also, your post-it example is more akin to tags than this solution, because you could easily slap two post-its on the same item - arbitrarily limiting yourself to one is nothing you'd do at home, no? smile.gif