Riverwillows

Allowing more than 500 dragons on a page

I would love to be able to see more of my dragons on one page. 500 is not enough. Could we have the option to list more on one page, like 1000?

We used to have the option to view ALL the dragons. I would like that back (although I would settle for just 1000). I liked viewing all much better as Ctrl+F was a lot more useful. It stinks trying to find something and having to go through five pages.

We used to have the option to view ALL the dragons. I would like that back (although I would settle for just 1000). I liked viewing all much better as Ctrl+F was a lot more useful. It stinks trying to find something and having to go through five pages.

Hahaha...try going through 13 pages. It's even less fun.

I would love more than 500 per page.

I'll support this for those who want it, under the (I think fairly safe?) assumption that people would still have their own length/page settings for viewing the scrolls of others, so that older puters won't crash trying to load any of these monster scrolls, lol.

I would like it. I don't think TJ will ever do away with mandatory pagination, but an increase would be nice. Even 750 would be an improvement.

I support it myself (even though for us FF users the page breaks >.>) cuz once that issue is fixed with FF I'd like to go back to 1000 a page.

I support this.

I've considered hoarding CBs of each dragon to give me more of a challenge, and sooner or later my scroll will be large. And people with lots of pages (the highest I've seen is 86) must get irritated at times. I'd be proud with 86 pages each with 500 dragons on them, but if I was to look for a specific dragon to breed, that'd be a pain.

I've hated pagination since the day it was implemented, and that opinion has been in my sig since day one too. It screws up my sort and makes my scroll look bad. I want to see ALL my dragons on ONE page.

Tho I'd rather have tabbed sorting in the long run.

I'd rather have a lot of pages of non-crashing scroll than a crashing scroll. I like it the way it is now, and I'm sure there's more than one reason why the limit was set at 500.

I thought the limit was set because of a reason, something like using too many resources to load huge scrolls or something.

Either way, I'd like to have more per page if TJ deems it do-able.

I thought the limit was set because of a reason, something like using too many resources to load huge scrolls or something.

Either way, I'd like to have more per page if TJ deems it do-able.

At the time that was exactly what TJ said. 500 was the optimum for our convenience and not blowing the cave off track with monotonous regularity.

here's the thread:

http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=138122

TJ said there were issues - and I can remember how scrolls would just stop loading and black areas would develop (now that's only in breeding in firefox !!!) and threads and threads in help. I think there were real issues. TJ never said what they were, but as I posted in that thread- my scroll suddenly started to load OK, and others said the same...

I would really love to see more than 500 dragons on one page, it's really usefull and even more nice than 3-4 pages, where dragons constantly change because of new dragons that I catch every day.

What about some spoilers? Every scroll would have only one page, but this page would be separate in many "containers" and you have to click on one of them to see it.

Only 3 spoiler can be open at the same time.

example:

user posted image

I've always understood the limits to be a server load issue, so I'm not sure this can be done.

Personally, I don't want more than 200 at a time because of my internet connection, although I'm at 3100+ dragons on my scroll now, giving me 16 pages with my settings or 7 pages if set to 500. If I have trouble finding a dragon, I pull up a Custom Sort page, and Ctrl+F for the name there.

If it wouldn't create lag for others, ok, although I would not use that setting. Otherwise, no.

I'd at least like the OPTION of choosing to display more than 500 dragons per page. That way, those who's browsers can't deal, can scale back, but those who CAN handle it, can have a better view.

At least the option, hey?

Don't we already have the option to set how many we'd personally like to see with the "Number of dragons per-page" on the Account Settings? So, i'm not sure why increasing the size would affect people with slow internet since they can simply stick to 200 while others could up their display to 1000.

I would really love to see more than 500 dragons on one page, it's really usefull and even more nice than 3-4 pages, where dragons constantly change because of new dragons that I catch every day.

What about some spoilers? Every scroll would have only one page, but this page would be separate in many "containers" and you have to click on one of them to see it.

Only 3 spoiler can be open at the same time.

example:

user posted image

I LOVE this idea! It can keep scrolls more organized, too, and I won't have to use charts anymore.

As I said before- there is a thread suggestion other options for displaying scrolls.

http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=79853

And I am pretty sure Socky said there was more to TJ's doing this than just the people who can't hack a whole scroll at once. They were already able to cut numbers on each page using pagination- I know; I was one of them - and it didn't help a whole lot with loading at the time. The limits came in LONG after that was set up. Certainly there were LOADS of complaints form people with fast connections who were finding the cave creaking - and the more of us there are with thousands of dragons, the more the strain on the site, I'd think. It already goes down when it is under heavy use by hunters...

Due to issues caused by viewing scrolls while using huge (or unlimited) page sizes, pagination is now required for all scroll viewing. You can configure your preferred page size from your account settings, with a lower limit of 50 dragons per page and an upper limit of 500 dragons per page.

This was his reasoning to make Pages mandatory.

This was his reasoning to make Pages mandatory.

But way down the thread Socky said there was more to it than that. And she mentioned the huge numbers of complaints around that time about the cave falling over.

I get that we don't want no pagination whatsoever, but would there be a noticeable impact if it was increased a little, even just to 750 rather than 1000? As far as I know, we have never tried a higher limit, it was the current limit or no limit at all, and as you stated, there were issues with there being no limit.

Edited by Nectaris