rumor33

Dragon Release user poll

Um - as I think someone has said - many dragons in the completed section are - not up to cave standard.

How would one go about saying you can vote for this and not for that ?

Tj could just remove them from the completed list first? I mean, if they definitely won't be released as is, why are they on the completed list?

Even so, I don't think a dragon with a jarringly different sprite would win anyway so it'd probably be a non issue.

Tj could just remove them from the completed list first? I mean, if they definitely won't be released as is, why are they on the completed list?

Even so, I don't think a dragon with a jarringly different sprite would win anyway so it'd probably be a non issue.

At the time the suggestion was made before, many dragons on the Completed list hadn't been removed despite not following the new guidelines. I don't know how many currently are this way, since the list has been edited heavily since, but I suspect that even if all are fine TJ would need to filter for those most suited to DC lore.

Quite. And I cannot tell you how much such a poll would not interest me - so - meh smile.gif

Surprises are so much more fun.

Why are they on the list - because the people involved put in a lot of work and have said they are done. I wouldn't like to see people totally discouraged from creating dragons just because the results aren't up to cave standard. From those threads artists are later born. The fact that anyone can give it a shot counts for a lot. To say OK you say you are done - well, it isn't staying up there because it's not up to scratch would kill dragon creation stone dead; people would say to themselves "Why bother".

Quite. And I cannot tell you how much such a poll would not interest me - so - meh smile.gif

Surprises are so much more fun.

Why are they on the list - because the people involved put in a lot of work and have said they are done. I wouldn't like to see people totally discouraged from creating dragons just because the results aren't up to cave standard. From those threads artists are later born. The fact that anyone can give it a shot counts for a lot. To say OK you say you are done - well, it isn't staying up there because it's not up to scratch would kill dragon creation stone dead; people would say to themselves "Why bother".

Then personally they would just open the road up for users more committed in making it right. I believe being told why something doesnt quite fit well and why it cant be added in is much better than being lied to about how its always perfect and disappointing your self in the end. When you make art and concepts for a place that has a specific view of how the site would work in the real world, you have to go in thinking that your concept might not entirely fit the theme. If you go in thinking that your concept is the god of all concepts and is going to be added in asap or as soon as TJ skims over it then you are severly setting your self up for disappointment.

On that note I feel that a whole poll for the completed list would be amazing. If the completed list is definitely being filtered out by TJ to only leave the ones he feels are worth the consideration later on then a poll for the available concepts wouldnt hurt anyone. It could be offsite or a new page somewhere on the site that is linked to in one of the stikies in the completed section so users can go in and vote on a concept once a month or something. this way TJ can just check through the concepts with the highest votes for the month and release the ones he likes.

Things are moved to the Completed List because the OP and artists involved say they're done, not because someone has looked at the sprites and deemed them up to standards. Occasionally I think TJ goes through the Completed List and grabs anything he definitely wants to use and at the same time may or may not delete sprites that the concepts are unsuitable. I don't think he's ever gone through and cleaned out all the sprites that the concept is fine but the art lacking in some way. Those just sit there. I don't think he deletes the topics at all, as evidenced by the Shamrock Dragon, which I helped with some when I first started spriting. The sprites were removed from the Completed List as not usable but the topic still exists.

How do I know this? Well, I don't think he's ever said it in so many words, but I have probably 10 to 12 sprite sets on there that I've worked on. I know they're not suitable in some way. They just sit there. He's mentioned a couple of the problems with one or two of them. I know anyway looking at them that they need some work because I've grown as an artist.

The point of this rather lengthy post is that it would be pointless to have a user poll select a dragon for release if their choice is one that is unsuitable for release and if he only put up a poll for those that are suitable for release why wouldn't he just... release them? in whatever order and speed he felt best. Some of you are probably thinking that there would be too many of them, but I don't think so.

Things are moved to the Completed List because the OP and artists involved say they're done, not because someone has looked at the sprites and deemed them up to standards. Occasionally I think TJ goes through the Completed List and grabs anything he definitely wants to use and at the same time may or may not delete sprites that the concepts are unsuitable. I don't think he's ever gone through and cleaned out all the sprites that the concept is fine but the art lacking in some way. Those just sit there. I don't think he deletes the topics at all, as evidenced by the Shamrock Dragon, which I helped with some when I first started spriting. The sprites were removed from the Completed List as not usable but the topic still exists.

How do I know this? Well, I don't think he's ever said it in so many words, but I have probably 10 to 12 sprite sets on there that I've worked on. I know they're not suitable in some way. They just sit there. He's mentioned a couple of the problems with one or two of them. I know anyway looking at them that they need some work because I've grown as an artist.

The point of this rather lengthy post is that it would be pointless to have a user poll select a dragon for release if their choice is one that is unsuitable for release and if he only put up a poll for those that are suitable for release why wouldn't he just... release them? in whatever order and speed he felt best. Some of you are probably thinking that there would be too many of them, but I don't think so.

TJ does periodically clean out accepted topics as well as unsuitable topics. I don't see the Shamrock Dragon in the completed section?

It was there as of a couple weeks ago. Since then it appears to have been cleaned out, which is a good thing.

So I looked at the title and thought YES. But then, there are too many dragons - you'd have to pick a couple and vote between those.

However, after some minor reading on the thread, I have two ideas.

One is the group/theme idea. Four themes seems like a good number. But the themes could have themes! Here's what I mean:

Say one year the poll is: yellow, eastern, animal-like, metallic.

The next year it could be: purple, wingless, serpentine, pygmy.

The reason for this is that I think the themes would need to change, but be related. So the themes are:

Colour, body type/feature, general dragon class, DC dragon class.

Technically this could mean one dragon fits all of them! Handy if any votes are tied or close.

And the other idea is simpler. Take the vote, say it's held in May this year. Say the winner is dragon X. Nothing special happens. We get another vote May next year, with the winner being dragon Y. And then, at the next release, X is released.

This system of waiting a year to release the winner means that everyone will have forgotten the last poll's dragons, and everyone will be hyped up thinking about the new poll dragons. That solves the problem of secrecy, while still being user-chosen.

Even with the themes it could wait a while.

As far as the poll itself is concerned... If we have themes, simply put the text for each theme next to 'vote!' which links to giving a vote.

If we have the dragons, it gets more complex. The vote page could have the name of each dragon, linked to an encyclopedia-style page showing us the sprites and descriptions of the dragons, and telling us about any planned BSA of the dragon.

Just my thoughts on the idea ~

It could be so much simpler. Hide the topics so the egg and hatchling descriptions are unavailable. Then make a poll where the result isn't shown to the users. End result: Nobody knows which dragon wins.

Very much this. I honestly think a poll is both unworkable and totally unnecessary.

Never mind just asking for Drarmar xd.png