rumor33

Dragon Release user poll

There's also the problem that many sprites on the completed list aren't up to modern DC standards, some artists probably didn't fill out the artist's agreement and gone inactive, and there are always some very beautiful new concepts turning up. Remember the old Rainbow Dragon, which has been removed from the completed list? It was okay, and for the time of its creation, it was even close to awesome. But not according to newer standards. However, if you look at the Prism Dragon, which is a newer rainbow concept, it's very clearly superior. And the Rainbow only got removed long after the Prism was finished.

(If you want, I can send you the image of the old Rainbow adult, but without credits. I used to save the completed list in a file, and still have those old pics on my hard drive.)

The Rainbow had gotten reworked in the last few pages and looked MUCH better than what was on the completed list. I think it was still a little bit not quite up to snuff. But still, it was much much much better than what was on the CL at the time.

I don't know anything about that, but it doesn't mean it didn't happen as you say. After all, I don't live here.

However, it merely proves my point that the current system allows for more competition - and thus, more and better sprites for TJ to choose from.

I think this would be really cool for DC's birthday. A week before the date, a poll could be posted and everyone could vote for their favorite, the one they'd like to see commemorate Dragon Cave's birthday. I think it'd be very symbolic, anyway.

However, I do not see this happening. The fact that dragons are hidden upon being accepted is why. TJ wants the releases to be a surprise, so unless you stalk the completed board and have a ridiculously good memory, you never know what's being released. As awesome as this would be, I have no hope for it.

I dunno. On the one hand, TJ likes to keep us in suspence. On the other hand, he likes to try new things on occasion.

Besides, if we couldn't see the result of the poll, we'd still get a surprise. Especially if the eggs start out as surprise eggs (black with red question mark). biggrin.gif

Thing is, I'd want to see the occasional poll because there are some dragons that TJ just doesn't particularly like but the users are dying to have. I think someone mentioned once that TJ doesn't much care for eastern dragons or something. I don't know if that's true or not, but if that's the case, and it seems like there's some evidence to support that claim, it means he's less likely to release those kinds of dragons, even though a lot of users like them and even prefer them.

Obviously, I want to keep surprise and let TJ control most of what gets released. But an occasional poll, maybe once/twice per year at the most often occurrence, would be nice as it allows for some dragons to be released that, while TJ might not like them too much, the users do like. It also ensures that more users will be happy with said release. TJ is one person with his own views and opinions. While I understand that most of DC's world is based on those views and opinions, I feel like leaving only one person in charge of a popularity contest isn't really the way to go. c:

I think someone mentioned once that TJ doesn't much care for eastern dragons or something.

I remember TJ posting that he didn't know that. As a matter of fact, he seemed rather puzzled by that assertion. (Even though there are only 2 "true" Eastern breeds in the cave.)

I remember TJ posting that he didn't know that. As a matter of fact, he seemed rather puzzled by that assertion. (Even though there are only 2 "true" Eastern breeds in the cave.)

Yea, I remember that post of his. The rumor probably started because as you said, there are only two in the Cave.

As for this suggestion... I could see it working, though I don't see TJ actually doing it. Who knows? As a one-time thing, it would be interesting to try. I'm not sure about every year, though.

Cheers!

C4.

I definitely like the thematic voting concept. It brings popular voice into play but still provides that fun surprise as well. I would be super stoked for a release if I knew it was going to have a certain kind of dragon in it or a few dragons of a certain type!

You've probably gotten all sorts of feedback like this, but I thought it was an exciting concept so I just had to state my approval! laugh.gif

On the one hand, TJ likes to keep us in suspence. On the other hand, he likes to try new things on occasion.

Why not do both at once, in that case? Have a poll sometime during the year, then release the winner sometime within the next 6-12 months, rather than as the very next release. Users would still get to pick a release, but they wouldn't know what won, and they wouldn't know when the release was going to happen, so it'd be almost as much of a surprise as not voting at all.

As for whether there should be a poll at all, I have no particular opinion either way. But I don't see any reason it would hurt anything to have one, so if the idea helps those who do want it, why not!

This is an idea definitely worth trying. I have no idea if it would be awesome or not, but it wouldn't hurt to try it once, anyway.

Voicing my support for this. Even as a once-in-a-while thing I think it would be a nice way to mix things up.

Voicing my support for this. Even as a once-in-a-while thing I think it would be a  nice way to mix things up.

I agree whole-heartedly.

I support this, it's a nice and we know what to expect. But the con side would be---since we already know the adult form of the dragon(I don't suppose TJ will post just the dragon egg), it won't be much of a surprise.

I support this, it's a nice and we know what to expect. But the con side would be---since we already know the adult form of the dragon(I don't suppose TJ will post just the dragon egg), it won't be much of a surprise.

Lol, suppose that once a year, rather than the usual speculation, everyone would be excited because there suddenly would be recognised an egg from a dragon we'd got to pick at some point previously in the year - one among a group offered for votes, with us having no idea which had won or when it might appear in the Cave - among others Released at that time, to keep the traditional speculation and surprise factor going?

Or perhaps the egg itself needn't be shown during voting, so that the hatchies or even adults would provide the first jolt of familiarity?

Granted, some might be disappointed at their preferred dragon not being chosen, but at least they'd have had their vote in, and it would be something completely different.

Perhaps this could be a DC B-Day thing, or a summer madness-type thing, something where multiple dragons were Released either at once or in series every couple of days, the latter probably working better with more than a few new sprites being introduced at once.

But that sort of extravaganza is great fun, even if rather hectic for all concerned, and gets a number of dragons out, in part making up for the half-year of lack of regular Cave Releases we typically have.

I haz dreamz... laugh.gif

Lol, suppose that once a year, rather than the usual speculation, everyone would be excited because there suddenly would be recognised an egg from a dragon we'd got to pick at some point previously in the year - one among a group offered for votes, with us having no idea which had won or when it might appear in the Cave - among others Released at that time, to keep the traditional speculation and surprise factor going?

Or perhaps the egg itself needn't be shown during voting, so that the hatchies or even adults would provide the first jolt of familiarity?

I haz dreamz... laugh.gif

I like your dreamz. xd.png

This sounds like an excellent way to maintain some surprise while giving users a say in what is released.

I like your dreamz. xd.png

This sounds like an excellent way to maintain some surprise while giving users a say in what is released.

Yes, and if we only ever saw the adult in the voting period, we'd have an additional surprise to the usual one - that this, at last, was one of the dragons we'd been able to vote on.

And even if the hatchy triggered speculation that it might be whatever dragon among those we selected from for our votes, it would still be speculation.

I like this idea. Even though a good chunk of the completed list dragons are outdated there are enough there that a few options could be voted on. I know several that I'd love to see incave someday.

A suggestion like this was made before and I posted in it and it was shot down by the users them selves and after explanation it was made clear why. TJ hand picks the concepts that are released to ensure that the info and style of the concept fits the site. Also users would be a bit biased and some would pick concepts they've worked on, concepts they helped with, etc to ensure their concept would be released over others. As well as things like user buy out where for example I would promise you something nice in exchange for you voting my concept to the top.

Even if it wasnt chosen by TJ it still a very skewed and biased system that wouldn't work and personally I would like TJ to take the time to look over concepts at his own pace and release what he deems is right for the site than have a mass of biased users vote and have TJ go "Nope don't like it" and we get no release.

A suggestion like this was made before and I posted in it and it was shot down by the users them selves and after explanation it was made clear why. TJ hand picks the concepts that are released to ensure that the info and style of the concept fits the site. Also users would be a bit biased and some would pick concepts they've worked on, concepts they helped with, etc to ensure their concept would be released over others. As well as things like user buy out where for example I would promise you something nice in exchange for you voting my concept to the top.

Even if it wasnt chosen by TJ it still a very skewed and biased system that wouldn't work and personally I would like TJ to take the time to look over concepts at his own pace and release what he deems is right for the site than have a mass of biased users vote and have TJ go "Nope don't like it" and we get no release.

The problem is more that if dragons are going to be put in a poll, that means TJ has to find a few dragons ready to be released for the poll - but if he's done that, why shouldn't he release them all? It doesn't make sense to pick a few topics good for release and then reject some because they weren't the winners of the poll. And is there really much of a point to a user's choice poll if we're just voting on order of release? xP

Anway, merged. Updated the first post a bit.

The problem is more that if dragons are going to be put in a poll, that means TJ has to find a few dragons ready to be released for the poll - but if he's done that, why shouldn't he release them all? It doesn't make sense to pick a few topics good for release and then reject some because they weren't the winners of the poll. And is there really much of a point to a user's choice poll if we're just voting on order of release? xP

Anway, merged. Updated the first post a bit.

I think this new addition is more along the lines of, instead of putting TJ through the trouble of picking certain concepts to release, users do the work for him and basically vote for concepts that TJ would then look over and decide whether they are good for release or not. Like TJ only pics the topics once there are one or more top voted topics or something.

TJ already supposedly weeds out all the stuff that doesnt fit in the completed list, right?

I still don't see why there can't just be a HUGE poll of everything on the completed list. It'd be massive sure, but who cares?

TJ already supposedly weeds out all the stuff that doesnt fit in the completed list, right?

I still don't see why there can't just be a HUGE poll of everything on the completed list. It'd be massive sure, but who cares?

Um - as I think someone has said - many dragons in the completed section are - not up to cave standard.

How would one go about saying you can vote for this and not for that ?