rumor33

Dragon Release user poll

I figured it would be the ones that win would just get priority. It doesn't mean they're released that month, or even that the releases of the dragons in the poll would even be simultaneous. It just gives them a bit more priority.

I would rather users really pick out a bunch of dragons, or at least a group for a certain theme for a release, or something weird like that. It doesn't mean the other dragons don't get released. They could still be released, but at a later date. Or maybe the user-voted release would just be a special event once a year or once every other year or something weird like that. :P

I do see the reasoning of "Well if I approve of them being added to the site anyway, why bother having users vote", but personally I think he should take some user favorites more into consideration for what's "okay" for the site, so personally I would prefer users voting somehow first. I don't think TJ should really be a part of picking the dragons at all for it, unless we're just voting on "eastern dragons" or "yellow dragons" or "wyrms" or something, and then that would actually be a next release or not far off release where the dragons are still somewhat a surprise, but the dragons just fit in the category the users picked.

(And even with themes, coming up with themes means he has to pick a handful of dragons that fit each theme and again, if he's going to get a set ready and approved for release, why not just release all the dragons that are ready for release rather than having to pick some that are ready and then end up never using them?)

Would it be okay to pick out and not use? Fitting to themes might take some effort but I don't see where the effort of that, or of seeing which dragons are cave-ready, would be a big thing that would be bad to then not use the dragons.

I guess I'm looking at it like - the effort involves the same process as picking out dragons for release, but that's not what it would be *for*. The effort would be for us being able to vote and, without of course knowing what goes on with TJ, I think that effort might be worth it, especially if users could supplement or manage the choosing.

Edited by diaveborn

I love the idea, but if the dragons we can choose from are picked by TJ, then its not really user based.

I would love for us to pick them from the completed list ourselves.

And if they are not fit to be released, they shouldnt be on the completed list to begin with.

My first issue with the idea of a poll asking about specific dragons would be that the surprise factor of releases would be taken out. I like not knowing what will be coming soon, it's why releases are so much fun. That goes for me anyways, I love surprises.

I also don't really like the idea of putting someone's art to a vote, that just doesn't feel right to me. And TJ would have to take the extra step to make sure each artist is okay with their work being in a poll. Even if the results were private, we'd still see the order of when they are released. The artist would know their work got the least amount of votes. That seems a little bit depressing, ya know?

Lastly, I'd like to provide my own idea. To go with the idea of the "themes" thing floating around, why not ask everyone what exactly they want to see more of.

Example:

What kind of dragon do you want to see more of in the cave?

-Pygmy

-Wyvern

-Drake

-Two-headed

-Amphipteres

-Eastern

-Western

-Dinos?!?!

What color of dragon do you want to see more of in the cave?

-Red

-Orange

-Yellow

-Green

-Blue

-Purple

-Pink

-White

-Gray

-Black

-Brown

TJ could then use the polls to help him pick dragons off the completed list. For example: If in a breed poll, pygmy had the most votes and drake the second most, TJ could then pick a pygmy for a release soon. Then for the month after that he might pick a drake. In the end, TJ would still be picking the dragons as normal, but he would have a thought in the back of his mind that a recent poll told him that a lot of users want a new pygmy.

Polls in general provide a lot of feedback on what the majority wants to see more of on DC. I'd definitely support polls seeking user opinions, but not any that might spoil a release. Noooo thank you!

Brainstormy type ideas - What if it were a poll not on the forums but on the site, coded so that we could find out the winner after but nobody could see the other rankings? That way nobody would know their art was in last place. And if the poll and result were in a separate part of the site, and maybe discussion about it on the forums could only be allowed to take place in a certain thread like a news thread, then people wouldn't know about anything in advance if they didn't want to.

I'd rather a site poll anyway, since otherwise it's not really user's choice-y enough for me.

Honestly, the only reason I suggested TJ's selecting a group for us to choose from was because I don't know how many on the completed list are still acceptable for the site; last I checked there were a couple of "legacy" concepts that are currently against guidelines. It's probably been cleaned since then, but it's an issue to keep in mind.

And yes, regardless of whatever happens, the results should be secret. Too many hurt feelings otherwise. I also agree that it should be an infrequent event (I forgot to mention it in my thread prior to the merging, but I was thinking once a year at most frequent); I'm not sure how long it takes to code a site poll, else I'd wonder if it could take the edge off of the dread Raffle Feels were there not so much stuff going on in that time frame.

Maybe a secret poll that everyone can vote but not see the results? That's how it will become more secret and user choice. smile.gif (and TJ could see the results and maybe admins could see them too)

I support a site-wide poll that closes/greys out after the user votes on their dragon for the release, so you can't go back and change your vote after.

I support a site-wide poll that closes/greys out after the user votes on their dragon for the release, so you can't go back and change your vote after.

You mean after the release? Or after they've voted (but prior to the release)? I don't think that would be helpful, Say the poll runs for two months and in the meantime TJ releases a buttload of pygmies or easterns, but I've already voted for pygmies? It would be too chaotic to have month to month polls, and a lot can happen in the time in between

You mean after the release? Or after they've voted (but prior to the release)? I don't think that would be helpful, Say the poll runs for two months and in the meantime TJ releases a buttload of pygmies or easterns, but I've already voted for pygmies? It would be too chaotic to have month to month polls, and a lot can happen in the time in between

After they vote. I imagine that they wouldn't be monthly polls, but one every few months or something since users would effectively get one monthly release a year.

And I don't think that 'release' is synonymous with 'one dragon'. It could be the top two or three choices if it comes to that.

Edited by Jazeki

Great idea! I would totally enjoy something like this. smile.gif

I hope nobody minds, but I saw an idea for a round-robin style vote at some point and decided to try to make a thread for it: here

Now it's nothing official, but it might help with this suggestion.

I don't see a big benefit to locking votes in a site wide-poll.

Maybe a secret poll that everyone can vote but not see the results? That's how it will become more secret and user choice. smile.gif (and TJ could see the results and maybe admins could see them too)

This might work, but what would stop people from just announcing their vote or advertising?

And I agree with I'd rather have an actual choice then be allowed to pick the order of stuff TJ has already decided will be released.

I hope nobody minds, but I saw an idea for a round-robin style vote at some point and decided to try to make a thread for it: here

I don't see a big benefit to locking votes in a site wide-poll.

Meh. I was tired when I wrote it. I forgot that the polls here don't allow you to go back and change your vote.

Going to check out the thread now.

tbh i really feel like this and sometime like population control should be added

i mean really.. LOOK at the completed list. that is a LOT of dragons. a lot of dragons that are just going to rot there for years.

i honestly don't know why you guys add dragons to the completed list like every day on top of the ones that are already probably never going to see the light of release. just a really bad system in general.

maybe we should stop taking submissions for awhile so that the ones that've been on there for YEARS can actually get released.

because i know of an instance where a dragon got released and it was finished the night before the day of release. not to mention artist favoritism and elitists that already pressure other people.

/endrant

Oooh yay, I am very excited - I hope a lot of people are able to vote. (Hopefully it will take some of the hurt out of not winning a bracket with being a choice between two as opposed to ten or so on something like a site poll?)

I don't think it matters cause nothing in your thread talks about it but in case of potential future confusion, I don't think that thread is a round-robin (where each option goes up against every other option). I wasn't sure what to call it but I used the term bracket voting 'cause a google image search for it popped up stuff like the image you have in the thread which made the most sense to me for voting.

Edited by diaveborn

I really like the idea of that thread! I voted in it. idk if it will affect anything, but maybe! o: The horrible part is some of the pairings I love both dragons, but others I don't like either. It was hard to vote for some of them! XD Would have been harder just picking some out of all of them, though.

I think that would be great publice this on game and not just here on the forum, because so many people don't have an account here.

I would do this: a little pop up appear on your scroll:

"Dear user, if you want to help us to choose which dragons we 'll be relased soon you can take part in this poll. However you need to be aware that there will be spoilers on the adult stages of future dragons, so if you don't want to ruin your surprise don't go ahead.

I ACCEPT ------------------------ I DON'T ACCEPT

If you choose to not vote this pop-up will disappear and you will have none spoilers.

If you choose to help with the poll an adult dragon from the Completed request would appear (not eggs and hatchlings, so it will still remains some surprise during its relase!).There will be something like:

Dragon Number 1: Please let us know how much do you like it. You can choose just one option.

(1= I don't like it at all 2= I don't like it so much 3= I'm neutral on this 4= It's nice 5= I love it!)

Please choose number 8 ONLY If you think that it needs more work to be relased (better shades, a different body posision, better color mix, less bright colors etc)

user posted imageuser posted image

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5

8 ( I think it still needs more work to be relased)

next dragon -->

With this method you will vote up to 50 dragons and those with the highest score would win!

They will be relased 2 years after this pool (so users will also forgotten them a little, to keep the surprise element!)

At the moment I would like to see at least 21 NORMAL dragons relased per year plus the holidays ones:

January: NONE (because of the Christmas relase and the Raffle) sad.gif

February: NONE (because of the S.Valentine Relase)

March: 3 new dragons!

April: 3 new dragons!

May: 3 new dragons! + The DC Birthday (maybe other dragons ?)

June: NONE (because of the DC Birthday Relase)

July: 3 new dragons!

August: 3 new dragons!

September: 3 new dragons!

October: NONE (because of the Halooween Relase)

(late) November: 3 new dragons!

December: NONE (because of the Christmas Relase)

Edited by Naruhina_94

I think that would be great publice this on game and not just here on the forum, because so many people don't have an account here.

I would do this: a little pop up appear on your scroll:

"Dear user, if you want to help us to choose which dragons we 'll be relased soon you can take part in this poll. However you need to be aware that there will be spoilers on the adult stages of future dragons, so if you don't want to ruin your surprise don't go ahead.

I ACCEPT ------------------------  I DON'T ACCEPT

If you choose to not vote this pop-up will disappear and you will have none spoilers.

If you choose to help with the poll an adult dragon from the Completed request would appear (not eggs and hatchlings, so it will still remains some surprise during its relase!).There will be something like:

Dragon Number 1: Please let us know how much do you like it. You can choose just one option.

(1= I don't like it at all 2= I don't like it so much 3= I'm neutral on this 4= It's nice 5= I love it!)

Please choose number 8 ONLY If you think that it needs more work to be relased (better shades, a different body posision, better color mix, less bright colors etc)

user posted imageuser posted image

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5

8 ( I think it still needs more work to be relased)

next dragon -->

With this method you will vote up to 50 dragons and those with the highest score would win!

They will be relased 2 years after this pool (so users will also forgotten them a little, to keep the surprise element!)

At the moment I would like to see at least 21 NORMAL dragons relased per year plus the holidays ones:

January: NONE (because of the Christmas relase and the Raffle)  sad.gif

February: NONE (because of the S.Valentine Relase)

March: 3 new dragons!

April: 3 new dragons!

May: 3 new dragons! + The DC Birthday (maybe other dragons ?)

June: NONE (because of the DC Birthday Relase)

July: 3 new dragons!

August: 3 new dragons! 

September: 3 new dragons! 

October: NONE (because of the Halooween Relase)

(late) November: 3 new dragons! 

December: NONE (because of the Christmas Relase)

I like the idea, but why 50? Would TJ pick them or the mods or somthing? Its just that in the CL tourney thread, it says theres over four HUNDRED things there, so 50 wouldn't even be just more then a tenth of all the breeds. And 2 years is really long, lots of the people who voted might not be on the site anymore at that point. I like how it's site wide and not just forums.

I think a voted release would be great for the birthday (so we don't have disapointment like this year) or the one in-between christmas and hallloween when lots of people are on.

Just slap up the entire completed list for voting.

It'd be a stupidly long poll, but who cares?

Just slap up the entire completed list for voting.

It'd be a stupidly long poll, but who cares?

I would vote regardless of length. Smaller portions are easier to manage, but imo I wouldn't mind just having all the dragons up for voting.

tbh i really feel like this and sometime like population control should be added

i mean really.. LOOK at the completed list. that is a LOT of dragons. a lot of dragons that are just going to rot there for years.

i honestly don't know why you guys add dragons to the completed list like every day on top of the ones that are already probably never going to see the light of release. just a really bad system in general.

maybe we should stop taking submissions for awhile so that the ones that've been on there for YEARS can actually get released.

because i know of an instance where a dragon got released and it was finished the night before the day of release. not to mention artist favoritism and elitists that already pressure other people.

/endrant

I know that what you say has some merit, but your suggestion doesn't work for DC. I wasn't there to see it for myself, but I've heard a number of accounts on this: A couple of years ago (before 2009?), the dragon request section was actually not accepting any new requests. The result was that, in some cases, several concepts were worked on in one thread, and artists pretty much fought for the concepts that were there.

Then, when the dragon requests got reopened, it was flooded with finished and almost finished concepts people had worked on in private, and countless unfinished ones people had been waiting to submit. Which resulted in some people opening half a dozen threads in DR. (The "two threads per person" rule hadn't been in effect yet.)

So, save for the hard feelings it caused, the closing of DR didn't have any positive effect - or not much of one, anyway.

I know that what you say has some merit, but your suggestion doesn't work for DC. I wasn't there to see it for myself, but I've heard a number of accounts on this: A couple of years ago (before 2009?), the dragon request section was actually not accepting any new requests. The result was that, in some cases, several concepts were worked on in one thread, and artists pretty much fought for the concepts that were there.

Then, when the dragon requests got reopened, it was flooded with finished and almost finished concepts people had worked on in private, and countless unfinished ones people had been waiting to submit. Which resulted in some people opening half a dozen threads in DR. (The "two threads per person" rule hadn't been in effect yet.)

So, save for the hard feelings it caused, the closing of DR didn't have any positive effect - or not much of one, anyway.

Just one question, not exactly directed at you (since you weren't around) but it is related to what you've stated: How many CRs were there when DR was closed, and how many CRs were there when DR was reopened?

If DR was reopened when there was still a whole crap ton of CRs, I would say that it was a pre-mature reopening, which result does not necessarily translate to what a properly excuted temporary closure of DR would have.

Sure, closing DR obviously can't stop people from creating new requests in private, but it should be able to achieve the following results under optimal conditions:

1. Massive decrease in joint-effort dragon requests (ie. requests that aren't done or has the vast majority of stuff done by one person) since the primary platform for such thing to occur is closed.

2. If DR remains closed off for an extended period of time (which is actually very likely if we intend to keep it closed until the CR backlog is severely cut down), it would act as a deterrant to people wishing to create requests in private in anticipation of DR's reopening. Sure, you can create 50 requests in private, but it certainly wouldn't help the increasingly frustrated patience if DR remains closed for like 2 years.

And as you've just said that there is now a "two thread per person" rule, which wasn't present when DR was flooded after it was reopened. If we close DR and reopen it again in the future, even if the privately-developed requests are all complete or close to completion, you can't just dump all 50 of them into DR; you'll have to put them in DR two at a time, unable to submit more until after the initial member feedback period and mod processing to put those two to CR.

tl;dr: While closing DR might have failed in the past, I feel that the failure is more related to how it was done rather than the soundness of the idea. It might be worth another shot if we want to cut down the massive CR backlog.

Edited by CNR4806

There's also the problem that many sprites on the completed list aren't up to modern DC standards, some artists probably didn't fill out the artist's agreement and gone inactive, and there are always some very beautiful new concepts turning up. Remember the old Rainbow Dragon, which has been removed from the completed list? It was okay, and for the time of its creation, it was even close to awesome. But not according to newer standards. However, if you look at the Prism Dragon, which is a newer rainbow concept, it's very clearly superior. And the Rainbow only got removed long after the Prism was finished.

(If you want, I can send you the image of the old Rainbow adult, but without credits. I used to save the completed list in a file, and still have those old pics on my hard drive.)

Edited by olympe

There's also the problem that many sprites on the completed list aren't up to modern DC standards, some artists probably didn't fill out the artist's agreement and gone inactive, and there are always some very beautiful new concepts turning up. Remember the old Rainbow Dragon, which has been removed from the completed list? It was okay, and for the time of its creation, it was even close to awesome. But not according to newer standards. However, if you look at the Prism Dragon, which is a newer rainbow concept, it's very clearly superior. And the Rainbow only got removed long after the Prism was finished.

(If you want, I can send you the image of the old Rainbow adult, but without credits. I used to save the completed list in a file, and still have those old pics on my hard drive.)

Is it TJ, then, that chooses if there are a variety of similar concepts, which one HE thinks is superior?

Yes, as far as I know.