XLaurentX

Laurent and Frost

When Morpheus walked back in Alexis removed her hands from her ears. She smiled back and watched Morpheus. "I'm the same as when I woke up, nothing hurt me." She said, noticing the blood on his cheek. She picked up a handkerchief and wiped his cheek, trying to remove the blood.

"Thank you for getting rid of them." Alexis said, folding up the tarnished material. Suddenly she she wrapped her arms around Morpheus, hugging him. "Thank you so much! I never want to go back with them. What can I do to repay you?" She asked, looking up at him, wondering what he would say.

"Did they say anything before you kicked their butts into next thursday?"

Morpheus seemed startled by the action, freezing in place for a moment. He was confronting more conflicting emotions in that moment than he usually did in a year. Relief. Confusion. Love. Guilt. Sorrow. He showed none of it, smiling at Alexis. He gave her a friendly squeeze and stepped back, despite longing to put his arms around her again. "Don't thank me, I was being selfish. You're on everyone's Christmas list, and I don't want to share." He sat down and ran his fingers around the cut he had received. It was healing slower than normal. Angel's blades tended to have that effect on demons. "Oh, they said something about saving you from demon scum. The whole 'he's a bad influence' and 'you can't stay with him' speech." He stopped talking, a sense of disquiet settling over him. They had been right. He had been planning to corrupt her and use her to spark a conflict that she probably wouldn't be able to deal with. He would have gotten her killed, and not batted an eyelash. What was it to him? He wouldn't have cared, but now... He didn't have the heart for it now. He couldn't even consider hurting her. Morpheus looked up, silently begging for forgiveness even though she had no idea what for.

Edited by frostmourne

"You? Scum? Bull crap! By going with them I would be made

prisoner! I will have no free will and training will probably lead

to me being disembodied. A hand there, leg over here, arm up

there... You treat me like I deserve to be treated like a

princess, but in all truth, I'm just a burden. I bring so much

trouble your way, angels trying to chop your head off, other

demons trying to rip your limbs off with their teeth." Alexis

looked at the ground feeling guilty. "By now, somebody else

would've probably thrown me out to be ripped apart by

them. And you're not selfish, your protective. And maybe I

like it when you are selfish." Alexis giggled and inspected the

cut. "I was thinking, angels are usually guardians which means

they should be able to protect and heal. So let me try

something quickly, don't move." The angel commanded. She

stood on her toes and quickly pecked the cut on his cheek. "I

wonder if it will quicken the healing... I hope so, I hate not being able to help you."

((I'm imagining Morpheus swooning like a Victorian woman in a corset.))

"Yes, now that would be bad. I'm very attached to my head and limbs, you see. You could say that they are part of me," Morpheus said lightly. He seemed startled by the kiss, frozen with shock the entirety of the few brief seconds. It took him a few more seconds to register what had happened and regain his composure. He took a step back despite wanting to step forwards and kiss the angel properly. The cut on his cheek had healed, but he didn't seem to have noticed that.

"That's....that's very kind of you," he managed to say. His smile seemed a tad forced now, like it was hiding some inner turmoil. This was never going to have a happy ending. It had happened before, an angel and a demon. Rarely, but yes. Both parties usually ended up dead, or worse. He had been told quite a lot of horror stories about it when he was little. Besides, he very much doubted it was a mutual feeling. Best stop himself before he got too carried away. He cleared his throat slightly and tapped on his umbrella.

"Well, it's not very safe staying holed up here. How do you feel about going to hell? It's not as bad as it sounds, really. Well, some places are. Well, most places are. Okay, all places are. But that's not the point," Morpheus said, walking out of the room and gesturing for Alexis to follow. "I have the whole palace and diplomatic powers over an area about the size of a large country. C'mon princess, your castle awaits. It happens to be the dragon's, and not the prince's, but you'll make do. My 'kingdom' mostly rules itself and I pop in just to settle big stuff. Yeah, apparently killing the person who was pestering you makes you accidentally prince of a circle of hell. I had no idea what was going on during the coronation. I slept right through it and woke up to find a crown on my head and people telling me I was one of the most feared demons in hell. Weird. I don't know either." Morpheus stopped talking when he realized he was babbling. It was mostly to stop himself from actually thinking. "Am I scary? They all think I'm scary."

((Somehow that popped into my head too))

"Sorry... I see I shouldn't have done that. I was only trying to help." Alexis put some distnace between them. "It did heal though." She pointed out.

Alexis just listened as Morpheus went on about hell, not truely interested in the babble. "Isn't hell all in your mind? What you think hell looks like is what it is, just add horrible fears and other things." She looked at Morpheus. "Humans scare themselves, they are too afraid to do things because their minds hold them back." She added, tapping her foot, mostly bored to death and trying to distract herself from Morpheus.

"And I can't answer that, Morpheus, deep down I'm still waiting for you to turn around and rip my wings out. I know there's something there in you that I'll be afraid of when I see it, that's why I tell myself not to get used to being so nice."

"You're right. Everyone creates their own hell. And heaven, for that matter. The difference is that there, your fear is very real," Morpheus said offhandedly. He stopped walking and abruptly pulled Alexis into a hug. "Don't be afraid of me. I swear, I'm as warm and cuddly as a puppy as long as you don't try to slit my throat." He lingered in the hug longer than he should have. He felt so much happier around her. It was as if she radiated joy. Finally, he let go but took her arm. "What are we waiting for? Let's go raise some hell." He grinned at her mischievously and tapped on the floor with his umbrella. The floor abruptly fell away and Morpheus pulled her into the gaping chasm it left. They fell for a short while, and landed without the slightest impact. They were in a richly furnished palace, but it was completely deserted. The architecture was done in Gothic style with soaring arches. It had a light skeletal feel, everything inside it subtle and elegant. Morpheus strolled through it carelessly, as if he had been here a million times. He stopped when he noticed a painting on the wall. It was a portrait of Morpheus, sleeping peacefully. He immediately yanked the painting down. "They keep doing that. I try not to stay still so they can't get a portrait, and instead they keep painting when I'm asleep. Bah." He keeps walking, leading her into the upper floors. There are no demons, and it seems very little like what humanity's idea of hell is.

The angel squeeled when Morpheus pulled her into a hug. It was awkward but secretly she enjoyed it, just like when he was in bed with her. She closed her eyes momentarily, letting out a content sigh. She was sad when Morpheus let go.

Alexis had expected something like this from Morpheus, dark and beautiful at the same time. Though beautiful didn't seem to fit completely, a word like elegant suited the place more. She looked over when Morpheus ripped down a painting. She giggled as she walked over. "You should cover your head with something when you go to sleep, that way they don't have a chance to paint you." She suggested, stepping over the painting. "The only other way to stop them is by actually letting them paint you, but I can see you don't want that to happen, so the first option is your only option." Alexis stretched her body as she talked.

From time to time Alexis had to jog to catch up to Morpheus, she would stop to look at something but he would continue on walking, so she had to rush past things. She didn't want to be left alone in a hallway, she was afraid that something would happen, even if there weren't any demons around.

This caused her to hold onto his wrist from time to time, her grabbing his hand a few times by accident.

"Morpheus, shouldn't a place as big as this have demons? It's eerie if a place is as quiet as this. Mostly I'm expecting a painting to fall off of the wall and come to life with a thirst for blood."

Edited by XLaurentX

"Yes, I'm obviously not a demon and the most angelic thing to ever walk the earth," Morpheus said, blinking with theatrical innocence. "No, seriously, nothing's going to jump out at us. Most demons are smart enough to keep away unless invited. And the walls don't like blood. They prefer tears." Morpheus kept walking straight through until they were walking out the other end. The gardens were equally magnificent, but there was an odd tinge of red in the distance. He stopped and waited. The red spread, bleeding into the blue sky. It seemed like they were moving over a great distance even though they were standing still. The blurring stopped, and they were in a charred, lifeless landscape. It was scorching hot and stank of blood, and the sky above was a deep scarlet. A plain white door stood in the middle of it, leading to no where. A white sun glared down like a malovent eye. Morpheus opened his umbrella and held it over her to block out some of the sun. Oddly, it was always a perfectly comfortable temperature under the umbrella. "Everyone creates their own hell. Let me show you mine. Quick warning, you're not going to feel anything. Complete and total sensual deprivation. You won't be able to feel yourself, like you've been numbed except worse. When you want to leave, picture my umbrella." Morpheus nodded, opened the door, and stepped in. Instead of simply stepping through an empty frame, he vanished as soon as he did. He opened his eyes to pure blackness. He couldn't even tell if he was breathing. He could simply not exist and be wouldn't know. His hell was special. The worst forms of torture were commonly thought of as knives or burning or drowning or poison, but that was wrong. The worst form of torture was to be able to feel nothing at all for eternity. It would drive anyone mad within a few weeks. Morpheus shuddered, or at least, he thought he did. He left almost immediately. It was his hell, after all. He might be the god of dream, but there was nothing to dream about there. Nothing could exist. Not even dreams.

"How was I supposed to know the other demons stay away, I'm not psychic or anything." Alexis rolled her eyes as she followed. "Just a warning, I don't appreciate sarcasm or puns. Remember that and remember what Lust taught me." She warned.

"Hell is a strange place. I don't think I'd last too long here. I'm happy I became an angel." She looked around at the changing scene, wondering what was going on. "Yep, I wouldn't last long, would probably freak out in the middle of a day." She concluded, not really talking to Morpheus but more with herself.

"Your hell? That's why we're here? And keep on talking like that you'll make me chicken out." Alexis looked at Morpheus. To her it was easy to sense that he hated his hell, even if it wasn't on his face. "You'd be stronger if you get over it. But then again, I don't know what it's like." She whispered before walking in.

Alexis now understood what Morpheus had meant, this was true torture. You were blind, deaf and everything else at the same time. She felt non-existant in the realm and she couldn't stand it. Quickly she pictured Morpheus' umbrella.

In the darkness, a pair of arms wrapped around her waist and pulled her out. Morpheus looked down at her, one eyebrow quirked. "Now what were you saying about 'getting over it'?" he said teasingly, smiling down at her. Despite the fact that they were out of the woods, he hadn't let go of her. In fact, he had pulled her closer to him. He wasn't sure whether his hell had shaken him or if his self restraint had simply reached its limit, but his heart was pounding madly at the thought of his next words. How would she react? Morpheus turned Alexis around to face him. He looked unsure, perhaps even nervous. "Alexis, I need to tell you something. I thi-" He suddenly reeled back, an expression of shock that was quickly turning into agony on his face. He collapsed, losing the fight against the pull of gravity. The tip of an angel's blade poked out from his chest. He had let his guard down. The demon standing behind him looked a bit surprised he had managed it himself, but quickly grabbed Alexis and held a knife to her throat.

"Come along now. Morphy is finished," it rasped, keeping a vice-like grip on the angel. He held her in front of him like a shield despite the other demon's handicap.

"Am....I?" Morpheus murmured. There was something different about his voice. Something cruel and dark and vicious. He sounded, quite literally, like a different person. The black dagger slid out of the umbrella and was tossed with expert aim. His arm fell back down. The demon hit the ground in a cloud of red dust a screaming that eventually faded into dead silence. The dagger zipped back into the umbrella with deadly efficiency. As soon as it did, his demeanor returned to normal again. Morpheus didn't move, struggling to keep breathing. He slowly drew the blade out of him, shuddering. He tossed it away. "I don't think....you'll be able....to...kiss this boo-boo better," he joked weakly. Blood was leaking on to the ground at a frightening rate. "Don't worry. I'll....be fine. He missed...my heart....not that I....had one to begin....with."

Edited by frostmourne

"I also said that I do not know what it's like in there. It's horrible." Alexis giggled, craning her head to look at Morpheus. She was smiling up at him. "I think I do know what the absolute worst hell for someone could be. But it probably depends on the person. I think if you see people you love die over and over again, then that's hell." She only named this up because it was something that suddenly popped into her head and she felt like it needed to be said.

She looked up into his eyes, wondering what he was going to say, but when her reeled back she felt herself get pulled back into reality. "Morpheus!" She was about to run over to him when she was caught by the demon. Instantly her blood boiled with hatred. "I'm not as weak as you think, you son of a b-" Her sentence was cut short when she heard Morpheus. She was still in shock when the demon hit the ground.

Her feet carried her over to him and in an instant she was kneeling beside him. "Shhh... Talking will make more blood spill Morpheus." She slowly removed what he was wearing on his upper body to see the damage. Her anger flared when he said he didn't have a heart. "That's a lie! You know that's a lie!" She yelled at him, she was on the verge of tears. "When I was lying next to you this morning I swore I felt something beating in your chest. Please stop acting like you're invincible! We can all die again, so stop acting like that!" She had started crying during the middle of her first sentence. Gently she pushed her hands to the wound, applying pressure to slow the bleeding.

Alexis' eyes were fixed on the wound, she didn't care if blood got onto her, she only cared if Morpheus was going to be alright.

"This is...not the reason....I wanted you....to take my clothes off," Morpheus chuckled, smiling wanly. He reached upward in a clumsy attempt to offer her a handkerchief. He wiped her cheeks with it before letting it flutter like a little white flag of defeat. "Someone's crying...for me? Don't bother....I'm not....worth the tears. Besides....if I die....I'll be right next door." His arm fell back down and he curled up tightly, his wings wrapping around him like a protective cocoon of feathers. His breathing grew slower, like he wanted to go to sleep. The white door had seemed to have moved closer, looming over him like a tombstone. It creaked open a slit, nudging Morpheus slightly.

"Yeah, not going to happen, sweetheart. I've got better things to do." The wings flared open, and then vanished. Morpheus stood up, fully dressed and unwounded. The blood was drying in the dust, but he seemed unharmed, if...not the same person. He looked the same, with the exception of the cold, steely glint in his eyes. He picked up the umbrella, and the moment he did it fell away. The wickedly curved dagger was all that was left. He pocketed it and straightened his tie a little. "Stupid little demon. Anyway, I'm Phobetor. I'll be taking over until Morpheus isn't breaking down Death's door and tracking footprints on Death's carpet. Fair warning, I'm not nearly as nice as him." Phobetor stretched lazily, and suddenly kicked the white door away. It zipped off until it was a mere speck in the distance. "Let's continue the grand tour." Phobetor sauntered away, not even bringing up when Morpheus might be back.

Alexis' face turned bright red when Morpheus said this wasn't the reason he wanted her to take his clothes off. Silently she chewed on her lower lip, looking away. "To me, you're worth it." She said, still blushing. She moved away a little when Morpheus covered himself with his wings, causing her to sigh.

A shriek escaped her lips when the wings opened again. She had almost fallen on her back due to the scare. "Phobetor? Either you're going insane or Morpheus never told me he had another... thing living in him. Or I'm going insane." Alexis looked at him, skeptical of what he said. She walked over and pocketed the angel blade, feeling that it would come in handy, because if Phobetor was as horrible as he said, she'd need more than her fists.

"Phobetor... Phobia. Morpheus could control dreams... He could create them. So... Do you create horrible dreams? Day- and nightmares?" Alexis asked. "And when will Morph be back."

"Now therein lies the riddle. Is a nightmare the other side of a dream, or another creature entirely?" Phobetor murmured. The frigidness in his eyes thawed a little. He suddenly turned around and pulled her close. His face was close enough that their noses almost touched. "He'll be back. When, is a bit more uncertain. But as for what he was trying to say before he left, I think it was something along the lines of..." Phobetor leaned closer and kissed her with surprising tenderness. It was brief, and he broke away soon, resuming his brisk pace as if nothing had happened. He continued walk without giving the slightest explanation for his actions. He paused for a moment, tilting his head as if questioning whether Alexis was coming. There was a cluster of towers up ahead. Seven, grand structures shot into the air, the design of each very different. There was one that loomed above all the rest, a central one that the six others surrounded. "That's the home of the Magnificent Seven. Best start getting to know your friends and foes. I think you've already met Lust."

Alexis could feel the butterflies in her stomach and her body refused to move. She had hoped that Morpheus had kissed her, so she hid this memory away as quickly as it happened. Slowly she followed Phobetor, paying more attention to the towers.

"Yep, Lust taught me how to fight. I can remember some of the other's names. Greed, Sloth, Gluttony, Pride, Lust." She stopped to try and think of the other two names, not remembering them well. "Envy and Wrath." She smiled, happy that she could name them all up. "Wait, if the Magnificent Seven is the Deadly seven sins, does that mean there are seven angels that represent the seven holy virtues? Faith, Hope, Charity, Temprance, Fortitude and Justice? And no, I'm not some religious monkey, my mother was though and went on and on about this stuff." She looked at Phobetor. "Yes, I remembered something from my past."

"Oh, yes. The answer to your riddle. It's another side of a dream, the bad side."

"No, angels aren't organized like that. They have big, stuffy titles, sure, but they're organized like an army. Angels are soldiers," Phobetor said offhandedly, reaching the base of the first tower. They were all interconnected, although there was no visible entrance. "And you're wrong. There is no bad side of a dream, and nightmares are the best kind of dream. They're the only ones that will make you happy when you wake up." Phobetor took Alexis's hand and pulled her into the wall of the tower. They cut through the wall like a knife, leaving it perfectly unharmed behind them. They were in what was definitely Lust's home. Exotic, gauzy veils draped the room, which was dominated by a monstrously huge bed. Silken sheets were thrown artfully over overstuffed armchairs. Candles flickered warmly on every available surface and flowers were tucked everywhere. The room had a heady, rich smell that would make the most prim person start to get lightheaded. Phobetor looked calm despite it, but even he wasn't entirely unaffected. He hadn't let go of Alexis's hand yet. Lust sashayed into view through the drapes, seduction practically dripping off her body.

"Hello, sweetheart. Finally decided to visit me?" Lust purred, pushing Alexis to the side jokingly and wrapping her arms around Phobetor's neck. He was wearing the same detached expression of annoyance that Morpheus had reserved for Lust. Instead of bearing with it like Morpheus had, he shoved her off of him with enough force to throw her against the wall. Lust didn't bat an eyelash despite the nasty bruise it must have left. There was a certain wariness in her gaze though. She pulled Alexis away from him protectively. "Oh. Phobetor. You're absolutely no fun to tease. I'll introduce her to my colleagues." Her voice was light but cautious. She clearly did not trust him at all. She lowered her head and whispered discreetly into Alexis's ear. "When I tell you to, run. Run and don't stop running until you're behind the gates of heaven."

Edited by frostmourne

Alexis rolled her eyes when Lust did the same as when she had first met her. "Phobetor!" She shot him a 'what the hell' look when he threw Lust against the wall. She was still glaring at him when Lust pulled her away. "You seemed to like kissing me back there..." She growled under her breath unhappily.

She was surprised when Lust told her she had to run when she said so. "Little problem, I don't know to get out of hell and I don't know where the gates of heaven are. I just always found myself there one minute and down here on earth the next." She whispered. But what Lust had just said confirmed what she felt from Phobetor, she couldn't trust him, he would be the one that would rip her apart or make her fall. It made her happy that she took the blade the demon had tried to kill Morpheus with. Thinking of Morpheus made her sad, it was most likely her fault he got stabbed; she was the one the demon wanted and Morpheus was distracted with her.

Phobetor grinned wickedly, and held up the angel's blade in his right hand. He twirled it between his slim fingers gracefully. He had swiped it off Alexis while she was preoccupied with the kiss. "Planning to stab me in the back? Ouch, and I thought we had something special." Lust glanced between the two, but kept herself in front of Alexis.

"It doesn't matter. Do you know who Phobetor is? The stories about him? The things he's done? Not even God can help you if you make him angry. So run. Run now," Lust murmured, slipping out her poisoned needles. Phone for tilted his head to the side and looked at them with an exasperated expression.

"Are you going to tell her horror stories about me all day or are you going to get to the part where you just take her for yourself?" he asked, crossing his arms casually and leaning against the wall. Lust stepped away from Alexis, but didn't relax her stance. "You can't fool me, sweetheart. I see your dreams. Did Pride put you up to this?"

"He asked all of us to take the angel if we got the chance. Sorry, boss's orders. Don't take it personally," Lust said, waving her needle in a dismissing gesture. Phobetor frowned and flicked his gaze over to Alexis. They weren't going to take her. Any of them. "I'm sure your little pets are on their way. The rest of the seven are coming too. Who will get here first? The Calvary...or the Indians?" Lust snickered wickedly. The walls of the tower had become hard and impossible to break out off without considerable effort. Th two demons eyed each other like lions prepared to rip each other's throats out at the slightest notice.

"Alexis, now might be a good time to say whose side you're on. If you really would rather go with them, I'll let you."

Alexis looked between the two, having heard that Lust was

supposed to take her so that other demons could have her

shattered her trust in the demon. She didn't know what to

do, who to choose. She didn't trust either of the two.

The young angel backed away from them until her back was

pressed against the wall.

"You want me to choose, Phobetor?" She looked over at him,

blinking. "Neither of you! I can't trust either of you, Phobetor

will try to slit my throat when he gets the chance and the

seven will make me kill others. I won't go with either of you!"

She yelled. "And I would only stab you if you were to hurt me,

Phobetor." Alexis looked aroud the room, wondering if there

was a way out.

"I only trust one person and he's not here!"

Phobetor moved too quickly for the eye to follow. It seemed as of he were across the room one second and at her side the next. He pulled Alexis into a warm hug, pressing her so close that there wasn't a sliver of light between them. He slipped the angel's blade back into her hand. "Trust me. I am the same man. Always," he murmured softly. He let her go and then turned her back to her, keeping a cautious eye on Lust. If she had wanted to kill him, she would rarely find him more vulnerable than he was now. Lust seemed to be caught off guard, and she stared blankly at Phobetor.

"You don't mean....Are you...with her?" she said incoherently. She glanced at Alexis on the word her. Phobetor only gave a sharp nod in response. "No, that's impossible. You would never. Are you kidding?"

"No, I'm being incredibly sarcastic," Phobetor snapped. Lust shook her head rapidly, not even bothering to throw in an equally snarky comeback.

"It has to be a trick. You know you can't. You'll get yourself killed."

"So be it." Lust looked doubtful and lowered her needles for a moment. It was all he needed. He darted towards her and back to a safe distance. When he backed away, she was on the ground unconscious but unharmed. "Spontaneous declaration of forbidden love. That always gets them. Was it genuine?" He smiled mischievously at Alexis and offered her his hand. "You'll have to stick around to find out."

"You're always the same man? It helps if you stop riddling you know." Alexis said. She wasn't too happy about the hug, they were in a bad spot and had no time to fool around. Though she was happy to have the angel blade back. She looked between Lust and Phobetor, wondering what they were going on about. They weren't making any sense because they were talking in fragments, ones that didn't reveal the topic. The angel huffed, unammused with the two. 'This is why I want Morpheus back.' She thought to herself as she watched them talk.

Alexis was shocked when Lust hit the ground. "Well, there's only six other after me. We better find a way out." She choked on air when he revealed what he had done to get her off guard. "Okay, I'm staying a few feet away from you from now on. Like I said, I only trust one person."

Phobetor looked impatient, and abruptly slipped his own knife out. He tossed it into the air and caught it by the flat of the blade, holding the hilt out to Alexis. "Look. One of two situations is going to happen. Either you trust me and we live, or you don't and I die and you suffer something much worse. So, if you find yourself incapable of putting your life into my hands, then I suggest you kill me now and make it quicker for both of us." His tone was firm, but not necessarily unkind. "I'm risking my life for you. If you can't trust me to keep you safe, then you'll get me killed." The walls of the tower shook, and someone or something was hammering insistently. Phobetor didn't look away from Alexis, still holding out the knife. He was going to wait for an answer even if the demons stormed into the room with them. This was more important than Pride and his raging ego problems.

Alexis thought for a moment, not sure what she should do. She sighed and put a finger on the hilt, gently pushing it towards him. "Keep the blade... I'm not going to stay here with people I don't know, I'd rather head with you." She admitted. "I just still feel bad. It's my fault he got stabbed back there." Alexis looked at the floor. "Can we get going? I think something is going to break through that wall soon." She said, motioning her head.