XLaurentX

Laurent and Frost

"And you don't want die either, do you? Which brings me to your next question. I want to teach you how to defend yourself from demons who aren't nearly as nice as yours truly. The problem with that is, I mainly don't fight with my fists, but with my head. As you have to go up the ranks to get your 'I smite thee with lightning' powers, you can't defend yourself the way I do. That being said, while I am capable, I am certainly not the best in that field, so I'm taking you to....an acquaintance." Morpheus flinched at the word, shuddering a little. "Don't worry, she's nice. She's just...Well. You owe me for bearing with this one for your sake." He shook his head and landed in the middle of a busy street.

People didn't see him, but instinctively stepped to the sides to let them through. One person stopped and blinked a little at him before shaking his head and moving on. "They can't see us. I made sure of that." He led her to a small, dingy looking hotel. There was a woman in the lobby, toying with a slim little dagger. She was absolutely gorgeous, and had a figure most women would sell their firstborn for. Morpheus had to stop himself from walking right back out when he say how little she was wearing. It left very little to imagination. The moment she saw him, her face split into a dazzling grin. "Morpheus!" He braced himself, tempted to try to avoid her. It was what he normally would have done, but Alexis did need someone to teach her, and he was the one asking for a favor. She all but tackled him to the ground in a passionate kiss. He remained as stiff and cold as a metal pole in the middle of a blizzard. He looked like he might throw her across the room if she didn't get off of him soon.

The woman stepped back and licked her full lips. "You taste like vanilla. Hint of black cherries. Mmm..."

"You have no concept of personal space, do you? Alexis, this is Lust. One of the 'Magnificent Seven'. She's a succubus, and she'll be teaching you how to not get killed."

"A succubus? Darling, I'm the succubus. She'll be the one beating you up once I show her a few tricks," Lust said, sitting down on one of the couches.

"Alexis, I'm not going to be sticking around for the next bit. One, she'd probably be trying to rip my clothes off the whole time, and two, I have a few errands to run. See you in a few hours." Morpheus nodded, and vanished without a sound. Abruptly, Lust was all neatly dressed. She seemed quite harmless now. She sighed disappointedly and put her hair in a tidy bun.

"I swear he reproduces by budding or something. It doesn't matter what I do or what I look like. He never reacts. Anyway, tell me what you know." She offered Alexis the knife she had been toying with.

Edited by frostmourne

Alexis had tucked her wings in against her back, making it look part of her dress, not wanting anybody to see. "You try too hard." She said in response to her not knowing why Morpheus didn't react. "I think he prefers class over seduction." She took the dagger from Lust and looked at it.

"That's why Morpheus dragged me here, I don't know anything. No former memories, not that he knows, and I'm too young to learn anything else." Alexis explained as she moved the dagger quickly between her fingers, wondering if she would succeed in learning how to fight, knowing she still had ways to go with her flying.

((Sorry, I'm going to be really busy.))

The succubus raised a perfectly arched eyebrow. "And how would you know? Have you tried?" she said teasingly. "And you aren't too young. It's just that low ranked angels don't get the whole angelic powers deal. You get the wings, you get the healing, you get the physical strength and speed, and you get the seeing demons when they aren't hiding basically. They higher you get, the more superpowers you pick up. Demons are different. We claw our way to the top through whatever means necessary to survive. Take Morph for example. He managed to become one of the few princes of hell, and on the way there, he got like, a black belt in torture and mind games. He also kind became three different people, but he's mostly got a handle on that."

Lust rose to her feet and started guiding Alexis into an alleyway. Nothing was there except the odd dumpster and some rubbish. "I'm one of the Magnificent Seven. The seven deadly sins, led by Pride. We're kind of the people who go door to door selling Girl Scout cookies. Well, no, we convince people to sell their immortal souls but, that's not the point. As I've been clawing and climbing myself, I'm going to be passing on my knowledge to you, young grasshopper." Lust pulled out a long, thin blade. It was almost needle like, crystalline and delicate looking. It glowed with a faint white light. "This is an angels' blade. Don't ask me where I got it 'cause you won't like the answer. You'll get your own sooner or later, and you'll pick what weapon it is. It's not necessarily a blade, but blades are more common. I did meet an actual angel with a shotgun once." She looked faraway for a moment, pondering on something.

"Angels' blades can kill humans, most monsters, some low level demons, and other angels. Its power is determined by yours, so don't try stabbing an archangel right after you get yours. Now, what weapon do you think you'd prefer? Gun? Compact bow? Rapier? I prefer poisoned needles. I know the archangel Micheal works with a sword and Raphael uses a bow. I think Morpheus uses daggers, but his are kind of....special. By that, I mean they're kind of alive and occasionally eat people. Actually, that describes a lot of my aquitances. Half dead and tried something that was definitely not chicken."

'What weapon do you prefer?' Alexis thought of the question for a moment, laughing at her comment of most acauntinces. "I'd probably go for something like a crossbow or a light sword. Not too sure yet, but defenitly not a gun." She answered. "And I don't think I'll get mine anytime soon... I don't think I'll go up in the ranks easily. Morpheus is still struggling to teach me how to fly."

"And I didn't know he was a Prince of Hell. Or that he was three different people. But I don't think we can get distracted with that, Morpheus said he'll be back in a few hours, we have to at lesst teach me something in that time."

(It's okay :>)

"Mmh. Right. Unarmed combat it is." Lust nodded once and curled her delicate fingers into a small fist. She proceeded to raise her arm and punch cleanly through the brick wall and lead piping of the abandoned building next to them. She withdrew her hand to show that it was completely unharmed. "Try it. You shouldn't get much worse than a scraped knuckle. Also, it's best to get a sense of your own strength before you accidentally take off someone's head. It's also good for scaring off ex-boyfriends," Lust said airily. She frowned when she noticed she chipped off some nail polish, and immediately pulled out another bottle from her purse. She carefully daubed on a new coat and tucked it away. She went from joking to serious quickly as she did. Lust glanced at Alexis, her long lashes casting dramatic shadows across her face. "Makeup is woman's armor. Go into battle, and never cry. Cry, and your armor breaks. Cry, and they win."

Morpheus paused slightly, pacing into the field of flowers with the regal stride of a stag. Blood stained the poppies an even redder hue. Occasionally bits of white were visible between the red and green, shards of crushed bone. The demon he had seen before wasn't there, but clearly had at least been badly injured. He approached the area where quiet sniffling and howls had been coming from. He carefully stepped over something invisible and knelt down. He eased a canine shape, outlined by splatters of blood, into his lap. He stroked its head gently, not caring he was smearing blood on his hand. He sighed, and the whimpering around him got louder. "Good boys. Run home now." There was a rustle in the grass as the hellhounds trotted away, Morpheus smiled bitterly when one paused to lick his cheek. He rose slowly and backed away from the body of the dead dog. It burst into flames with a snap of his fingers, and any last traces were blown away by a mild breeze. That demon wouldn't be the last one, and neither would that death. Morpheus wiped the blood off his hands with a handkerchief and started walking again, opening his umbrella as storm clouds rumbled above.

((Should we do a timeskip?))

"And if you cry without make up?" Alexis asked, looking at Lust before balling her fists and punching the wall, getting a few scrapes on her knuckles and forming cracks on the wall. "I mean, what if you were captured by things that enjoyed hearing crying and begging. You beg, plead and cry while they laugh. But when they have your guard down you turn around and stab a dagger in one's heart." Alexis quickly stopped when the dark thought popped into her head. "I-I'm sorry... I don't know where that thought came from." She said before going back to punching the wall.

(Sure.)

Lust quirked an eyebrow, wondering if Alexis was suppressing a memory or something. She did say she remembered nothing of her past life. Was there some traumatic event that made her black out those memories? She shook her head, making a mental note to talk to Morpheus about that later. "Okay, next lesson."

*Three hours later...*

Lust perched on the floral cushions of a wicker chair in a small cafe that gave off a cozy orange light. She set her spoon down beside the chocolate ice cream sundae sitting in front of her to swipe another cookie from the plate on the table. It was pouring outside, occasional arcs of lighting splitting the sky with brilliant white light. The cafe was practically deserted at this hour, but never the less quite warm and comfy. Between bites, she chattered casually to Alexis about fashion and hairstyles and annoying coworkers. In this case, the annoying coworkers happened to be demonic personifications of evil, but they were such airheads. Annual meetings made for way too much stupid in the room. She yawned and noticed a figure in a black coat walking towards the cafe. Morpheus folded the umbrella as the door chimed a merry jingle. He sat down at the empty chair at their table and brushed the wet hair out of his eyes. Oddly, it was the only part that was wet. Even his umbrella was as dry as an old bone that had been left in the desert. He cast a critical eye over the cookies and ice cream.

"Did you do anything but gossip while I was gone? I should have stayed. Just us girls, hmm?"

"What? I wanted a break. Besides, she's great. You, on the other hand, look like someone ran over your dog."

"Someone did." Lust froze, dropping her cookie into her melting sundae.

"WHAT?"

"Joel died."

"Son o-"

"Yes, we're well aware Joel's mum was also a dog. How are you, Alexis?" Morpheus asked, not wanting to discuss the topic any further. Lust looked seething mad. She had clearly been very fond of the dog. She stood up and stalked off, too mad to even throw a flirty innuendo at Morpheus on the way out. "Well. Did you like Lust? I told you, she's a nice person when I'm not around. Adores animals." He reached over and stole a spoonful out of Alexis's bowl.

"Your dog?" Alexis looked at Morpheus but quickly dropped the topic, seeing that he didn't seem in the mood for that. "I'm going fine. Lust was okay but she goes on a bit too much about hair, make-up and high-heels for me. I think make-up obsecures someones real face and what they truely look like. And high-heels just look too uncomfortable if you as me." She said, playfully slapping Morpheus' hand when he stole some ice-cream.

"In other news I think I can bash a skull in or even put my hand through a skull."

"I wouldn't know. Haven't ever had to occasion to wear high heels or makeup. Frankly, I hope I never have to." Morpheus winced and pulled back his hand theatrically. "I can tell. That's nice. Well, it's not nice, seeing that punching through a person's head can't really be considered nice. Unless that person enjoys it, in which case, they have bigger problems. It's getting rather late now. Come on." He rose and picked up his umbrella, offering her his arm. The storm still raged like a furious animal outside. He didn't look bothered by it, although he seemed irritated about the wet hair. "Someone cursed me today. Constantly wet hair. It'll wear off in a few hours, and it isn't worth the effort to get rid of. It's just annoying." He ran his fingers through his hair again, trying in vain to get the water out.

Alexis got up and took Morpheus' arm. She was slightly upset now, remembering she didn't have any memories of her former life. She couldn't remember what she liked, what she didn't like, her last name, parents, friends, school, pets and whatever else. It annoyed her that she didn't even know her birthday or if Alexis was her actual name. She kept her eyes glued to the floor, her hand balling into a fist. Alexis hadn't even noticed that Morpheus was talking.

Morpheus frowned when he noticed her tenseness, but said nothing. Best get out of the rain and public eye first. He walked out of the cafe, leading her away. He held the umbrella over her as they walked, ignoring the water dripping into his eyes. It was big enough for two if they stood closer together, but he purposely was only holding it for her. He didn't need it anyway. As he walked, the landscape blurred around them and the rain grew more gentle until finally he folded up his umbrella again. They were back in the field of poppies and the black cave.

There was no sign of the carnage that had happened earlier. Morpheus led her into the cave and paused by the smooth wall. He pressed a hand against it, and an arched entry sank into the stone. It was a neatly kept bedroom that looked like it wasn't very often used. Nevertheless, it was spotlessly clean. "Bathroom to the left, closet on the right. Call if you need anything." Morpheus moved as if to leave, but suddenly sat down on her bed and patted the spot next to him. "You look like you have a ton of bricks on your mind. Care to unload?"

"Thanks..." Alexis said, looking at the room. She looked at Morpheus when he told her to unload. "That's the problem! There should be a ton of bricks on my mind but there's nothing there! I don't remember anything from when I was alive. I don't even know if Alexis is my real name or if the angels just gave it to me." She flopped down on the spot beside him. "It's just so upsetting when you can't think back on anything because it's just a big blank page. I can't remember my last name, parents, friends, where I lived, what I liked. Not even how I died! It's as if I was never alive... There's nothing there, as if I was non-existant." She hid her face in her hands, shaking her head. "I makes me wonder if somethings in my life made me hide every memory, did the angels wipe my memory or was I just never human to begin with?"

"Think of it this way. You have a new leaf. The slate is wiped clean, and you must have been a good person to be an angel. It'll come back eventually, and there are plenty of people who can restore memories if it doesn't. Don't worry about it too much. Focus on the present and make new memories. I can restore memories, but I'm too tired today. I'll see what I can do in the morning," Morpheus said comfortingly, giving her shoulder a brief, reassuring squeeze. Internally, he was rather worried. What if the angels had wiped her memory? What would be he purpose? As much as Alexis seemed to want her memories, he wasn't entirely sure her history would be something she should know. Whatever the case, he couldn't do anything about it now. He'd just do his best to keep her from fretting too much.

"Try to get some sleep. Busy day tomorrow. Sweet dreams. I wove them myself, y'know." He smiled and winked at her, rising to leave. He took about three steps before he suddenly collapsed on the floor at the foot of her bed. He was already dead asleep, quiet breathing the only sign he hadn't just dropped dead. He was much like when the angel first woke him up. Morpheus was curled up in a disorganized heap of soft black cloth and softer, blacker feathers. It was in stark contrast to his usual, dignified air. He looked vulnerable, almost childlike. His wings were wrapped around him like a blanket. He looked absolutely exhausted, dark circles tracing crescent moons in his skin. Clearly he wasn't going to wake up and leave her room anytime soon.

"Of course you pass out right on the floor..." Alexis smiled and stepped over him, making sure not to step on him. She headed to the bathroom, wanting to take a quick shower to take her mind off of things. She looked in the mirror and brushed a stray lock of brown hair back into place. "I guess... I don't want my memories back yet." She smiled and quickly undressed, starting the water. After that she got redressed and just toweled her hair to make it stop dripping, but it would still cling to her face. Giving up after five minutes the angel put the towel back and walked into the room. She looked down at the sleeping heap that was Morpheus. She jumped over him and onto the bed, quickly slipping under the blankets. Soon she was asleep just like Morpheus.

(Yep)

Alexis slowly woke up on her stomach, in a tangled mess that was the blankets. She touched her head and scowled when she felt how badly her hair was messed up. "Maybe I should cut it..." She wondered, trying to get the worst knots out with her fingers. Soon she gave up and laid her head on the pillow, too lazy to get up. 'I wonder if Morpheus is awake.' She thought but decided against it, not wanting to remove the covers from her body.

A breakfast tray perched on the nightstand, looking as heough it had been prepared quite recently. The pancakes still steamed slightly, and minuscule drops of condensation clung to the glass of orange juice. Neither angels nor demons needed to eat, but rather treated it as a luxury. Same went for sleep, although asking Morpheus to go without sleep was like asking a turtle to sprout wings and fly. Speaking of Morpheus, he was no longer on the floor. Instead, he was curled up on the bed next to Alexis, in fresh clothes. He looked like he had made breakfast, brought it over, and fallen asleep again with the same suddenness as the night before. As Alexis stirred, Morpheus moved a little. He draped a warm, black wing over Alexis as he did. He still looked utterly exhausted, as if he hadn't slept all night. Judging from the various scratches and bruises that weren't there the night before, he likely hadn't. There was a horrible clamor outside, inhuman shrieks and angry snarls. It sounded like they had an invading army on the doorstep.

Alexis blocked out the clamor and looked at Morpheus. She noticed the scratches and bruises he had, swearing he hadn't had any when she went to sleep. She moved closer to Morpheus, afraid that if she got out of bed whatever was outside would find them, but with his wing over her she couldn't do much either without bothering him. She reached up and lightly traced one of the scratches with her finger. "Why must there always be danger? And what were you even doing last night to get messed up like this?"

Morpheus mumbled something sleepily, and pulled Alexis against his chest. He was quiet for a bit, soothed by the action. He woke up slowly and reluctantly, blinking blearily at the light. Morpheus was jerked back to consciousness rapidly when he realized he had his arms wrapped snugly around Alexis. ...And that Alexis wasn't dressed yet. This seemed to wake him up, and he immediately let go and sat up. He looked away, but there was a faint pink tinge on his ears. "Um, sorry about that. I, uh....okay, I don't have a good explanation." For once he seemed a bit tongue tied, and was keeping his eyes very pointedly fixed on the ceiling. "Clothes are in the closet. Don't go outside. We're having a bit of a...situation." He darted out of the room with the speed of a frightened rabbit. A distance away outside, he pressed his head against against the cool stone wall of the cave, trying to pretend his heart wasn't beating like hummingbird wings. Trying to convince himself he was absolutely not in any way attached to her. Morpheus laughed quietly, running a hand through his hair. When did lying to himself ever work?

Edited by frostmourne

Alexis giggled at how Morpheus reacted but she could feel her own blush on her cheek. She sat up and stretched, straining her ears to try and hear what was going on outside. Slowly she got out of bed and went to the closet, opening it. She stood there and looked through the closet, wondering what to wear. She decided on black jeans and a red shirt. When she was done she climbed onto the bed, not having anything on her feet.

Alexis took the tray on which the pancakes was. Happily she ate the stack, wondering if Morpheus had made them himself or just conjured them up. She was thinking of him, wondering if he was okay, aswell as why he acted so strange around her. Alexis shrugged it off and used her free hand to tap on her leg. "Sha-la-la. Everybody is happy~"

The crash echoed throughout the dark recesses of the cave. Morpheus straightened and pushed himself off the wall, stalking outside in a way that suggested he was dripping with irritation at this point. His wings were gone again. Dozens of people were gathered outside the cave, demons, angels, monsters, spirits alike. None of them were in the field of flowers, knowing that they wouldn't last a minute within it. The dumber ones' corpses were scattered among the poppies. It became quite apparent how he had gotten the minor scratches and bruises. They had already healed by now, but Morpheus was expecting fresh ones now. Ever since Alexis arrived, his garden was being watered with blood. He wanted to scold them for bleeding on his lawn. Didn't they know it was bad for the flowers? Instead, he walked out, a scowl twisting his usually pleasant features. "What now? Is someone else feeling suicidal?" An angel stepped to the front of the crowd. He was quite burly, and dwarfed Morpheus. He looked quite high up, maybe high enough to be an archangel.

"We will not allow one of our own to be taught by scum like you," the angel boomed, flanked by a few lower ranked angels. The demons in the crowd shied away from them. Morpheus couldn't help but be reminded of a bunch of schoolyard bullies. He smirked and looked back into the cave.

"Alexis! Your white knights are here to rescue you from the dragon! Do you want to go with them or is the dragon allowed to kick them out?" Morpheus called, leaning on his umbrella casually.

Alexis heard Morpheus and wondered what she wanted. Did she want to go back with those of her kind or stay here with Morpheus. Instantly she thought of how she was treated those first three days, plus the day they dragged her here. They were always forceful and she had no free will, she had to act like a robot to please them. Morpheus had been nicer to her in a day than the angels were.

"Kick them out! The dragon is nicer than the knights!" She called back, getting off of the bed. She wasn't going to go outside, for that she was too afraid of being grabbed and not seeing 'her dragon' again.

"I'd rather be down here on the ground enjoying myself than up there being a puppet."

"Okay, you can leave now," Morpheus said pleasantly, a silent 'or else' hanging in the air. The angels didn't move, their faces blank as white canvas. "Fine. Always so stubborn. Alexis, don't look. You better cover your ears too." The angel started striding into the field of flowers, crushing them underfoot. Morpheus waited at the mouth of the cave, tapping a light rhythm on the handle of his umbrella. Some of the lower ranked angels swayed, and fainted in the field. The effect of the poppies was rather impressive. By the time the group reached the cave, only the archangel remained. He glared down sternly at Morpheus, who was distractedly still tapping. He looked behind the archangel and grinned devilishly. "Well?" Angry snarling came from near the collapsed angels. The hellhounds were clearly inches away. Morpheus looked back to the archangel. "Are you going to leave now?"

"They are expendable," the archangel said tonelessly.

"What's the logic behind that? They're expendable, but Alexis isn't?" Morpheus asked, getting a firm grip on his umbrella.

"She has more potential. She will be saved."

"She doesn't want or need to be saved. Better the devil you know than the angel you don't."

"You will get out of my way, you demon censorkip.gif, or I-"

"He swore! HE SWORE! Isn't there some rule somewhere that says angels aren't allowed to swear? Oooooh, I'm teeeeeeelling!" Morpheus called, trying to sound as childish as possible. The archangel snapped and lunged towards him, sword in hand. Morpheus darted out of the way easily, quick and light as a merlin next to a golden eagle. He still wasn't quick enough to avoid the long, shallow gash that the tip of the blade left on his cheek. Too swiftly for the eye to follow, he pulled a slender, black dagger out of the umbrella and pricked the archangel with it. The moment the dagger was clear of the handle, Morpheus's expression seemed to change. There was something cruel and sadistic about the way his eyes glinted. It was as if he had become a different person. The minuscule cut he made healed nearly instantly. Morpheus slid it away with the same speed and straightened as if nothing had happened. He seemed perfectly normal again.

The archangel seemed puzzled for a moment, but then the screaming started. Morpheus watched with a detached expression as the archangel writhed on the ground, clawing at his eyes. He knelt down beside the figure. "Whoever said you needed to be asleep to dream?" he whispered sweetly. The other angels woke with a snap of his fingers. They carried their tormented leader away, their expressions stony and pitiless. The crowd started slipping away, perhaps deciding to wait for Morpheus to let down his guard to attack. Morpheus walked back into the cave and into Alexis's bedroom. He smiled at her cheerfully, not seeming to have noticed the blood dripping down his cheek. "So, how's my princess doing?"