Thaelasan

Dreaded Kingdom

I'm assuming healing is not coming with the nature pack. I don't get it, do plants grow on Catgerine when she has the staf or is she like a dryad or nymph? (That can turn into a tree?) also can she do little things like make flowers bloom or fruits/vegetables grow faster or does she need the staff for everything and is completely useless without it?

Oh and heads up, I'm on my phone, my laptop just broke down for no reason so I need to go it fixed, I can get it fixed as soon as tomorrow and if it doesn't get fixed I'm not getting a new one... I've run through 3 laptops in 2 years...

You're right, I wasn't quite clear.

In response to Zakku, we begin quite shortly, perhaps as soon as tomorrow. I'm moving into my dorm tomorrow or the day after, and with all the censorkip.gif that happens with it, my chances of being able to write ANYTHING but my signature on the contracts for housing is very slim.

In response to mipuppy, what I mean is you do have certain traits of a Dryad. Your natural magical powers (which is to say, your mastery of herbs and potions as a florist) are increased dramatically by the staff. Because of the nature of the staff, however, your body reflects your desires, becoming one with nature as your character most likely wished for. If not, please tell me.

The reason for this is because of a limitation. With some of your characters, I had a very good reason for giving them abilities that seemed overpowered. I already have a plan for how this entire thing is going to go down and I need to make sure I keep in check with that.

For instance, I don't want you suddenly summoning a wall of solid ivy and plants to either crush the citadel (which wouldn't work anyway) or to even climb it to the top more quickly. Maybe short climbs, perhaps, but not just BAM, WE'RE THERE.

At the same time, giving you the ability to summon the plants you need for a given potion at a moment's notice is better than you think. That means you need yet ANOTHER limitation just in case you're trying to do something you just cannot be allowed to do at that point in time, and perhaps just for some added intrigue. Considering that Marian has the ability to ignite her arrows, your fear of fire would be set off, which would make Xavier's blade weaken, which would in turn probably have been foreseen by Tybalt.

You see the wisdom now?

Each of your powers depend on your allies' for multiple reasons. My character controls space to a degree, while Tybalt will learn to not only foresee time, but control it (which was supposed to be a secret but to hell with it). Considering their partnership is already strong from both their childhood times together and their adventure,, they already compliment each other well.

Anyway, we'll see what develops.

So, she can grow things without the staff? Sorry your confusing me and Catherine didn't seem underpowered to me, (-shrug-) I usually prefer playing the weaker character anyway(the back line in the team, the medic, shield, cook, etc, etc,), because I'm not to good with powerful characters, I usually make them do nothing out of fear that it's god modding/powerplaying and I'm making it to easy and boring for everyone, or I let it rip and s/he is the most powerful being ever (you get what I mean.)

I'm gonna be off and on, I gotta job.

(Still to young to have one! <---- Lazy)

Edited by mipuppy1

Heheh, there's the Thael I know!! I had suspicions that might be the basis for the seemingly random power-gives.

I also sent you a pm.

I'll be popping in and out all day too.

((Ok, so just to be clear, my ability is that my sword is longer and stronger when everybody is happy and morale is high, including my own, and it's weaker if somebody is unhappy or their morale is low.))

Edited by TestingProNinja

Basically, your blade is a sort of symbolism to the strength of the knights your lineage referenced. Considering you are still slightly noble and perhaps wish to reclaim your former honor, your inner desires are reflected in your weapon.

Just as the armies of the European forces won normally by their nationalism, so shall we win by our enthusiasm. Malfaul's castle will challenge us in various ways, ways that I will not delve into so as to not spoil any surprises. What you may know, however, is that there will be times your blade shall be weaker than a toothpick, and times when it is as strong and heavy as a bus full of schoolchildren. It all depends on how your characters react to certain stimuli.

The castle preys on fears, doubts, despairs, and hatreds. It was built by a king who used betrayal and treachery among his own people in order to assert his rule. While his people bickered about their own problems, he was able to simply pass laws and do things for his own gain regardless of what they thought. If he was challenged, he had that person killed.

More of his history shall be revealed as the story goes on.

(Are you talking about Tybalt again? *snigger* It's like a more mature Tybalt. And more evil. Tybalt's just mischievous and cruel. Not evil.)Yet.

By the way Lycra..

What the censorkip.gif kind of roleplay are you in where you're playing Navi from OoT and Tatl from Majora's mask? More importantly, why am I not in it or informed of it?

The hell, woman? We have both discussed fondly my adoration for Zelda and all of its forms.

Welcome to the apocalypse! It's sorta dying right now but it's really really fun, me an Asp are in it as well!

((so does that mean it'll be able to break, and if so, will it regenerate, and how so? as in, if my sword gets snapped like a toothpick, will it regenerate after a period of time, or when the morale increases.

(( Thain would be able to repair your sword if it did snap because of his ability to command metal to his will.))

(( Actually, I originally meant for your sword to be unbreakable, but since you continued to ask questions that should have been obvious considering the sword was holy, it now has the ability to break.

Thain is the only one who can repair it. ))

((As my signature says, school started. I'll be around at odd times after 3pm EST (cave time) for odd hours and on odd days. What that means? Some days I'll be on one week and the next I won't be on that day for a different week... so nobody can say "you come on every tuesday!" because I likely won't. But once school gets situated I should be on more frequently.))

( Alright, I can now begin this beautiful work of art. ))

As each person walked up to claim their weapon, the holes in the dark prison closed slowly.

Castor, the man who had long held the cosmos as the most glorious kingdom, now wielded the abilities of space.

Thain, the son of a blacksmith, who had forged for years with his father, now held metal in thrall beneath his hand.

Shae, the young girl who had used the darkness as her cloak for all of her life, now wielded it as easily as her own dagger.

Tybalt, the noble with a jovial past now could see into the future with comedic ease.

Layel, the sorceress who enjoyed flame, now could summon draconic might more efficiently than a grand magi.

Catherine, the girl with a love for all things floral, gained the ability to hold nature at her beck and call.

Xavier, the boy with a fallen noble lineage, now could use his own allies' honor to strengthen his own blade.

Marion, the huntress with emotions like a rainbow, could now use her own feelings to power her sacred arrows.

The eight had been chosen. The priest's soul looked on with admiration.

"You eight have come forth with no fear in your hearts, each of you both different yet also the same. Some of you know each other before now, others are strangers at the same time. Now these things no longer matter.

Before you now lies the ultimatum. You eight are the gods' offensive before Malfaul's dreaded return. If you should fail, know now that all will be lost, for Malfaul will become too powerful to be stopped.

Within his ancient citadel, he breathes the very shadows that surround us, and with each passing moment, his power and connection to this world grow stronger. The only way to halt his atrocious return is to find his corpse, locked within his ancient crypt, and burn it using the weapons you have been given. It will require all eight weapons to bind and seal his soul away back into the Crucible of Hell, forevermore."

He nodded gravely.

"Yes, I understand this may seem quite the daunting task, yet you would not have come forth to claim these weapons unless you knew you could do so. But you are not without aid. The weapons themselves shall strengthen your powers in ways you may not yet understand. They shall grow with you, and as you use them, their powers shall become more and more powerful. Depend on them, and you will not be left to the shadow.

I have one final thing to say before I must return to the heavens: Do not turn upon one another. Malfaul shall try his hardest to weave deceit and doubt among you, which are the enemies of trust and hope. Without trust, you cannot fight with cooperation. Without hope, you will fall into darkness."

With that, the soul of the priest looked to the heavens, and his soul soared back into the sky. As he did so however, a large crack was heard.

If anyone looked, they would see that, in the distance, the doors of the dark citadel were cracking and shattering.

The ancient chains that held them shut began to rust and break within moments. The sounds of metal and stone mixed to form an almost deafening noise of pure destruction. Clouds of shadow formed around the door as it shattered.

Then, with a resounding burst of light, the door exploded, leaving a giant hole behind.

All that could be heard beyond were the sounds of darkened laughing.

---

Castor coughed nervously.

"Well.. uh.." he rubbed the back of his head. "My name.. is.. Castor, and.. well I suppose it's now our sword... sworn.. duty to save our land?"

He shook his head to get a hold of himself.

"Yes well. I hope no one will mind if I take head on this little journey, considering I have read much upon this citadel and what it holds. I'll make sure we make it to Malfaul's corpse as quickly as possible so that we may save our people."

He turned to the door, his sword at the ready.

"Well then! If there are no objections, ONWARD!" he bellowed theatrically.

And with that, he began to stride towards the door.

Edited by Thaelasan

Layel listened to the priest's words intently, holding the staff she had chosen. She could feel the power within it, the hold waking a memory of her lost staff before. Perhaps all hope of that staff wasn't lost then. This new one was remarkable in itself, yet the familiarity of it seemed to be fastened somewhere deeper than just mere moments of picking it up. But the female sorcerer paid no more mind to that term of thought and instead paid one last respect to the priest.

I will do my best. It is the least I could do upon my return. She thought, hoping it would get to the priest wherever he may finally rest.

The deafening sound bothered her already sensitive hearing, born naturally of it, but it quieted as quickly as it had come. The eerie laughter that filled the momentary silence thereafter would have normally been something Layel was going to enjoy- loving eerie things anyway- but she knew something about that was wrong now. Nothing harmless lay dwelling with that laughter. Not like the harmless scary pranks she used to play when she was younger. Now was a time of more serious evils. A time where death certainly could jump without a warning and claim whomever it sought to take for that split minute.

Castor introduced himself, though Layel already knew who he was. She knew Tybalt too, though rather less than Castor, and even Thain but he equaled her knowledge as Tybalt did. For herself, the sorcerer proceeded onward without introducing anything about her. She had her hood up on her cloak, the intricate dragon design resting comfortably along her back as the gold threads glinted here or there in what was left of the light. Her eyes were a startling green for the situation. That color could have revealed her excitement, if it weren't for the graveness of the situation. She simply was alert now and paying well attention to anything and everything. Like always. Almost nothing got past her when she was like this. Perhaps that was why she had survived for so long against so many rumors and death-dealers. Maybe there was more to it. Time may tell.

The staff she held was gripped in a medium fashion, both considered loose yet also tight. It was ready to be used if needed. If anything, it was ready to knock someone in the head if she saw the action was desired among their hodgepodge of a group.

One solitary thought passed her mind. She shouldn't be so cold to a group who would need her skills as much as she would end up needing theirs. But Layel's time-worn qualities destroyed that small whisp of thought.

It was all she knew anymore now.

Layel pressed on, keeping near Castor to be of better use in case he may miss anything. That way, too, she would not be as likely bothered by interrogations of who she was.

Marion was listening to the priest's words, her bow clasped in her hands. She had put her quiver on, and she had noticed that the arrows seemed to be electrified. She was curious as to what that was about, but she had a task to complete with seven others. Just as she was about to suggest that they go, evil laughter filled the space. Marion shivered. It sounded like her most mischievous brother's laugh, but colder, more evil. It was strange that a sound she knew to be strange and evil could be so familiar. "I'm Marion." she introduced herself, then added, "I'm ready to go if everyone else is."

Edited by Asphoxi

"Hey wait, wait, whoa. We're just going to barge right in there? We don't even know what to use these for. This is a bad idea. We should at least practice." Tybalt tossed the blade to feel its weight and balance. It seemed lighter and more balanced than anything of that size he had felt before. It was nice... The handles appeared to be carved and gilded ivory, with words of the elden language on it. Words of the gods. He tossed one up into the air, and caught it behind his back. It seemed to... Know what path it was going to take. Odd. He smiled a bit, sort of mischievous. He tossed it up and crossed his arms, catching both in one hand.

Castor turned, pleased to see that no one seemed to have any sort of objections to his leadership yet. Should they have, it may have been disastrous.

After all, Castor prided himself on knowing of ancient histories and legends. He had been the one who had taught Tybalt at a young age. Because of his tutoring, the two had developed a fast friendship.

Though he knew Layel, he knew her only as a woman he had once both admired and secretly loved. Yet her cold demeanor had always been sort of unnerving.

Marian had always been a keen shot, having won almost every single archery contest in their town every year. He knew she would be a great support with her bow.

Catherine's herbs, of course, would be extremely helpful during this quest. He knew she knew of herbs that could both cure poison and ease pain, as well as some hard-to-craft remedies that could even help revive those near death.

Xavier. Castor admired Xavier endlessly. The man had long had to live up to expectations that were borderline ridiculous due to his heritage. Hopefully here he could prove his worth as a true Knight.

Thain was one of Castor's other close friends, perhaps his closest. Since Thain was sort of a quiet man, he had always been willing to listen to Castor regardless of what Castor was even talking about. Thain's father had prided himself on teaching his son how to not only forge normal and mediocre metalwork but even those of an arcane nature.

You're already analyzing their strengths and weaknesses? How fitting.

Castor jumped, confused. He then quickly returned to his stride.

Don't worry. You're not going mad, at least.. not yet. I am the minor god, Valen. I am here to watch over you.

Castor's eyes widened and he gaped inwardly.

Valen?! The minor god of stars?! he thought strongly, if that was possible.

Yes. The very same. the voice sounded pleased. In order to ensure your success, each of your weapons not only carried with it a fragment of pure light but also a minor god which reflected your weapons' abilities.

Castor thought for a moment, remembering some of his history.

Let me see.. Thain would get Cragnus, the minor god of the forge. Marian would get Shelna, the minor goddess of the hunt. Xavier would receive Eldan, the minor god of honor. Catherine would earn the favor of Lora, the minor goddess of flora. Layel would get Veserae, the minor goddess of mana. Tybalt would get Ildanst, the minor god of epoch. Finally, Shae would get Noctal, the minor goddess of shades.

Admirable. Valen sounded impressed. You are correct. Now, in any case, as we continue our quest, you may speak to us at any moment. We are here to both direct and protect but our powers may only extend so far.

As their conversation ended, Castor felt even more courageous than before. His strides became wider and more casual. With Valen at his side, he felt no force could stop his assault upon Malfaul, especially with the aid of these allies.

Yet, still, that cold laughter echoed in his mind.

---

(( In case you wish for a sort of reference..

Cragnus is a god sort of like the forge he embodies. He has a hard-headed and stubborn personality but with a fiery touch as well.

Shelna values skill with a bow and speed as well. She is a kind hearted but matter-of-factly goddess.

Eldan values honor and integrity, and speaks both direct and to the point. He despises liars, and does not like Ildanst, who is a bit of a prankster.

Lora is one of the most beautiful and most likable goddess, being both fair and friendly. She is also a bit upbeat.

Veserae is a wise, but cold goddess. She does not like long conversation and values mental prowess above all else.

Ildanst is a mischievous god, known to use his abilities for a good joke or two. Once, he played a joke upon Eldan, and the two have been sworn foes ever since.

Noctal is the coldest of the goddesses, bordering on almost cruel. She loves to speak cryptically and sarcastically, and hates the light with a passion. ))

Thain hung onto every word that the priest said as if it was the gods' themselves talking to him. When the priest disappeared back into the sky he leaned on the giant hammer that was at his side and saw that it seemed to be forged of gold with ivory inlay circling the pole and marveled at its design. He hefted the hammer in one hand and it felt lighter than any blacksmite hammer that he had ever felt before but knew that he would still need two hands to wield it properly. He than looked over at Castor as he spoke up and wanted to take the lead which Thain had no problems with as he wasn't much of a leader himself. "Castor, good to see you again my friend. How is that armor my father and I forged for you holding up?" Thain said as he walked up beside his old friend while using the golden hammer as more of a walking stick for now.

Catherine's eyes lined with tears, the priests sacrifice was so noble and admirable, Catherine could only wished she knew him, hoping that if she were to die one day it would be a noble death like his. Happiness is contagious... Turning to the others her eyes lit up, a smile played on her face, it looked strange as her eyes were a bit red from what one could assume was crying "Hello, I'm Catherine." She introduced herself as most the others had, secretly Catherine was nervous, all these people were somebodies, she was hardly even worthy of being in their presence but it didn't show with the way she carried herself, a bounce in her steps and a happy smile as if she belonged with these people who carried themselves with grace and dignity.

Taking about five steps Catherine stopped suddenly, "I'm sorry..." She whispered slowly, "Can I say goodbye to a few people before I go?" She wanted- needed to say goodbye to her cute and lovable siblings before she left, she would definitely be worried about where their big sister left, and she needed to make sure they were in good hands before she left...

(I got my computer back up (Woot!) I also got Catherine's picture up and changed her last name (If that's okay with you?) I found it amusing.)

Edited by mipuppy1

Xavier listened in excitement as the priest spoke, Maybe I can finally prove I'm not one of them! as his excitement built, he noticed his rapier slowly grew to the modest size of a shortsword, without even gaining weight, Well, that's probably useful, Xavier thought to himself, marvelling at the realisation that he would probably be the leading swordsman into battle. However, Xavier noticed that his blade seemed to quiver, as if it didn't know what size it should be, it was then that Catherine turned around and spoke to the group.

"Sure, I see no reason why not?" Xavier assured, "we should get going though, to ensure that Malfaul doesn't know our presence, unless he already does..."

As the deafening sound struck Xavier's conscious, his immediate reflex was to quickly spin towards his target and pointed his sword towards the unknown source, he noticed the citadel door, the place where his order constantly spent their time trying to open it, had just... shattered, he felt a slight embarrassment creep over him as he remembered all those days he spent slashing at the door with any weapon he could hold.

"Well, at lest we don't have to worry about opening the door... or knocking by that... laughter."

((I forgot to mention that I live in Australia, so my replies will probably be at horridly random times, I also work on a regular basis and go to school, till 3 pm NSW time.))

Edited by TestingProNinja

Shae remained quiet as the others of their newfound group began introducing themselves, studying her recently acquired piece of equipment. It was nostalgic, familiar and yet alien to her. Even as she slipped the gauntlet over her wrist, there was this part of her that wanted to keep the blade in her pack. Yet, she found herself tightening the bands until it sat comfortably on her arm. This item was both a blessing and a curse, reminding her of the old blade she had used to slay her first target. A man that had been responsible for the death of her parents. Each of their faces had been branded into her memories and she had vowed to stay alive until they had all been extinguished from this already cruel world.

While they walked onwards, Shae remained in the back and kept close to the darkness she had grown up in. For years, the shadows and darkness had been the only ally she needed, and now she had become a member of a group destined to rid this world of her ally and the being responsible. Somehow, it nauseated her and for the most part, Shae just wanted to disappear without being noticed. To top it off, she wasn't too fond of their self-proclaimed leader, but refrained from chiming in her opinion as not to be further noticed.

Suddenly, Tybalt chimed in that maybe they should practice a bit with their equipment before blankly charging into unfamiliar territory without first getting acquainted with their weapons. Some leader Castor was, not even considering the fact that none of them really knew how to use this power they had been granted. Shae would've loved to discover how to meld with the shadows, her true friend that had been with her since the beginning of her life.itd be her pleasure to finally sink into that comforting dimension that she knew was her true home.