Ayesthine

Pagos Epochi - The Time of Ice

user posted image

Turning towards the noise, Nigh politely bowed his head in gratitude for the Magi's aid. Carefully handing him the Waverunner, he felt his hands chill as part of the mane that wrapped her fell to the ground. This poor hatchling.....hopefully it won't stay ill for too long...... After quickly retrieving and giving the mane piece to the Magi after the hatchling had reached his hands, he quitely responded, "Arigatou gozaimasu, Mr. Maihu. I am sure this hatchling will be in good care under you. If there is anything you need of me, please let me know." He noticed other dragons nearby watching, seeming both confused and concerned about what was happening. Please let this hatching make it....

(OOC: Maihu....how's that Ayes?)

Edited by Bacon_Strips

A purring rumble resonated in the Winter Magi's deep chest. "I'll take that for a no, little Albino." He spread his wings, and pumped the air once.

It's better if you don't fly. I'm sure these hatchlings have gone through enough trauma; they don't need a harrowing flight through the tunnels.

His wings folded silently against his side, and he stepped forwards. His gait was awkward without the use of his forearms, but the hindrance was of little problem. Absalom had been alive for millennia; a longer, more sedated walk through the maze-like caves was of no consequence. He only hoped the hatchlings cupped in his palms would be alright.

His claws clicked against the chilly stone. The temperature rose as he descended, but at this depth his breath still froze in the chilly air. The threat of the blizzard was still to near for Absalom to relax.

--

Maihu nodded, and carefully wrapped his arms around the slight form of the Waver Runner. He carried her over to a mat on the infirmary floor, and tipped her gently onto it. He trotted over to the basin int he corner, and held out his hands for a summoning spell.

What if it goes wrong?

The niggling thought wormed it's way through his mind.

It wont. Don't be ridiculous. It's a simple spell; you'd have to TRY to get it wrong.

He whipped his head from side to side. His claws glowed a royal purple, and a thick woolen blanket materialized in his claws. He tested the fabric with a gentle tug, just to be safe.

An overwhelming rush of relief washed over him as his pent-up anxiety was released. The fabric held, and he smiled.

Don't get so worked up about it. You've been at this for, what, twenty years? Your apprenticeship is almost up.

Still smiling, he wrapped the heated blanket around the hatchling's chilled body.

I'm sure you'll be a medic soon. They can't possibly deny your application; you've had the most succesful treatments of any med student in the caves.

He tucked the corners of the blanket in, and sighed. The hatchling should be fine, he hoped. All it needed was rest. Maybe a little food, as well. He would ask Nigh if he was willing to find some soup.

Look, Maihu. You'll get to got o the surface in no time. Once you're up there, and with an official license, I'm sure you can investigate without anyone bothering you.

Distractedly, he wandered over to the Dark Myst. "Hey, Nigh?" he called, staring up at the winding tunnel that lead to the many exits of the caves. "If you could find some soup, that would be great. That hatchling'll feel much better once her belly if filled." He plopped down on the cold stones with a sigh.

user posted image

Tirren felt herself being passed on by hands and taken into a room, being laid down. She felt her main being replaced by a blanket, being followed soon after with warmth. She could make out some words. 'Soup. Hatchling. Belly.' What did that mean? The coastal was too tired to put the puzzle together, instead, she lay there, staring at the wall with blank eyes. Every once in a while, she would blink and move slightly. Tirren's eyelids grew heavy with sleep, and they slowly closed.

user posted image

After watching Maihu take the Waverunner, Nigh looked at the dragons around him. The many that weren't near the entrance to see what happened were simply making small talk with one another. The tables that were used for the feast were now being put away to make more room. A group of hatchlings began flocking toward the Christmas tree, eagerly waiting for presents to arrive. Now that the feast is over, what is to happen next? he wondered.

The voice of the Magi brought him back to focus. Nigh glanced back at where the feast was once, reminded that there was no food in sight. Still, he did not want to disappoint Maihu, and decided to search where the leftover food was. "Why of course, Mr. Maihu. I will look for soup and bring it to you as soon as possible." He promptly headed towards a tunnel where he could faintly make out the image of a dragon wearing an apron.

Lask's eyes narrowed. "OH, DON'T WORRY. I AM SURE I CAN FIND PUNISHMENTS FOR ALL OF THEM." He struck at the churning water with a skeletal paw, daring the bobbing eggs to touch him. The ice burned his fragile skin, and he hissed. "YOU MAY INTERFERE WITH THEIR TRAINING, IF YOU LIKE. SINCE OBVIOUSLY THEY ARE NOT BEING TRAINED AT ALL." He stopped his stirring, and faced the gray dragon. His eyes burned in his skull with an unearthly glow. "HOWEVER." His voice was suddenly low and grating, the meaning in his husky tones beyond all doubt. "YOU MAY NOT IMPEDE THEIR BURNING LOYALTY. THAT IS THE ONLY CONTROL I HAVE OVER THEM, AND IT WOULD NOT TO TO DESTROY SO TREMULOUS A BOND."

user posted image

As Nigh headed closer into the tunnel, a brawny and agitated Brimstone stepped in front of him. Although he held a knife, Nigh stood emotionless, sensing that this dragon was not to be feared. "Oi, you! Whadda' think ya doin' over here? This here's kitchen staff only, so turn ya rear 'round and get-" The Brimstone quickly stopped, and raised his brow in surprise at who he was talking to. He immediately changed his scolding to an embarrased apology. "Oh, uh, it's you! What's your name, eh? Um, Nigh, right? Ya, that's it! The weak 'n freezing one......terribly sorry 'bout that good friend! Promise not ta tell Absalom 'bout this?" The pygmy looked up at the bruiser silently before replying, "You do not need to worry about it, sir." He turned his head and directed his open hand towards the Magi, palm facing up. "If you could, sir, my friend, Mr. Maihu, needs soup for his young patient who was out in the cold. Would you happen to have any left?" "Why, 'course I do!" the Brimstone replied, with a sharp grin, "I'll gettit to ya as soon as I can!"

Nigh returned to Maihu, holding a warm noodle soup in his hands. "Mr. Maihu, here is the soup you requested. Please, tell me if you need anything else."

Edited by Bacon_Strips

((Inserting white dragon NPC))

user posted image

"We're here." Exhausted, she let go of the illusion. Instead of dropping off the horse at the entrance and checking to see if there were anymore dragons out there needing help Kyu just went ahead into the cave. She managed to spot an adult white dragon who was on her way to tend to some personal matters. "You there, stop.

"Ahh! Miss Kyu!" She bowed respectably to her. "Do you need somet- Oh. Ohh, you look exhausted and oh my! Is that horse dragon on your back going to be okay?"

"That's what I want YOU to do..." Normally she would've asked nicely, but as her patience has gone and she just wanted to get back to the celebration. Kyu handed the horse dragon onto the white dragon's back and finally neared the entrance to the celebration hall. Not wanting to deal with any of her other responsibilities, Kyu transformed into her hatchling form and scurried up the Christmas tree, hopefully unnoticed.

user posted image

"Now maybe I can finally get some rest... Or at least less rescuing AND be able to see the last of the party!" Kyu found a spot on the branches where she could rest comfortably and where she had a nice view of the party. She curled up and rested her head on her paws, particularly watching over the kids at play.

Meanwhile the White dragon was in a state of confusion over what just happened. "Aww... But I wanted to..!" She realized that the horse dragon was really cold. "Wait a minute..! This dragon must be a survivor on the outside..!" The White dragon was smaller than the horse dragon so she couldn't just carry him to the hospital wing, it was too far! With not much of a choice the white dragon carried the horse dragon to her own room. There she covered him in a soft, and warm blanket. She stocked the magical fireplace so that it wasn't too cold nor too warm. Finally, she gave the horse dragon some medicine that counteracts hypothermia slowly. "The medicine is bitter, but effective. It'll take some time for it to take effect, but it always work! Good thing I had a bottle on me in case of emergencies." She tended to the fire once more. "When you're feeling better in say, a few hours, you might just be able to see the last of the party! Better late than never you know. If not... Well, there's always next year."

Edited by Taleena Fuka

The Winter Magi halted, hovering outside the door to a dimly-lit room. He stepped in cautiously, careful not to disturb any of the sleeping hatchlings within. A Soulpeace, quietly knitting in her wicker rocking-chair, looked up. A smile spread across her ancient features. "Hello, Absalom. Good to see you." Her gentle voice, while barely above a whisper, rang clearly through the room. The Winter Magi nodded in response. "I have a few wayward hatchlings, Selena. I'm sure one belongs to the caves, but the other was found.. outside." The Soulpeace gasped, and rose from her chair. The thick brown scarf she had been working on was tossed aside. "Is it alright?" Her tone fell dramatically, the anxious words almost inaudible. Absalom shifted, a smile hovering on his lips. "I believe so. There is nothing to worry about, as far as I can tell. Neither have sustained any injuries, and seem remarkably healthy considering." He shifted his arms carefully under their small burden. "Would you care for them? I cannot hold them in my claws through the night." His eyes twinkled in the dim firelight, the amusement in their depths softening his words. The Soulpeace laughed. "Of course." Gentle paws reached out, lifting the hatchlings carefully from Absalom's cupped claws. She placed them gently on a patchwork coverlet, the white of the Albino's scales gleaming against the colorful fabric. The Soulpeace turned, absorbed in the task of making the small hatchlings comfortable. She waved a claw through the air dismissively, and called over her shoulder to the waiting Winter Magi. "Go, Absalom. Get some rest. I can tell you need it."

---

The Magi smiled genuinely, for once, accepting the still-warm bowl from the pygmy's claws. "Thank you very much, Nigh. I appreciate it." He turned away, the distant look in his eyes all but gone. "And.. no. This is all I need, but thank you again for the offer of help." He paced off, careful not to spill the warm soup. Noodles bobbed in the cloudy liquid, and the enticing steam rising from it curled through the air. Maihu stopped, crouching, at the Waverunner's side. He placed the bowl carefully on the rocky ground, and reached out a claw to check the hatchling's pulse. A moment passed, and he sighed.

Normal, for once. Thank Nicolas.

He tucked the blanket closer around the small form, whistling softly under his breath. He stopped abruptly, casting a guilty glance at the ragged Turpentine. He loped over, careful not to disturb the unconscious dragon.

Where is that Soulpeace? I thought she wanted to talk to this poor thing.

He snorted.

Not that she would be able to. This one will be out for a day, if not more.

He checked the pulse of the still gray dragon nervously, his claws suddenly shaky.

If not for good.

His eyes roamed over the nasty collection of frostbitten skin and jutting bones. The dragon's gray scales, normally covered in a protective oil, were dry and flaky. The Turpentine was in terrible condition, and there was nothing Maihu could do until she woke up.

His head jerked up sharply, and he glared at his shelves littered with jars of salves and potions. Nothing useful was there, he knew. Nothing for frostbite, at least. That kind of medicine had to be collected elsewhere.

Outside.

In the cold.

He shivered.

The Magi lifted himself painfully off the ground, realizing just how long he had sat there. The candles in the corners of his dim workshop were low, the flames flickering as the melted wax choked them. His tail lashed, side to side, and he stifled a yawn. As he snuffed out the nearest candle with an outstretched claw, the sudden silence of the caves startled him.

It's nothing. Everyone is asleep, is all. It's late.

He gathered up another blanket with a sigh, not bothering to add the warmth spell. His parted lips shot out a jet of air, extinguishing all the candles. The darkness was sudden, closing in on the small infirmary. A paw, passed through the air, opened the skin door serving as an entrance to his cramped quarters. Memory allowed him to maneuver through the cluttered room with ease, even though the blackness of the cave pressed in around him.

Maihu flopped onto his cot with a sigh, and curled up in the warm, fleecy blanket. He yawned again. "Sleep.. " he murmured, with eyes half closed. His jaws stretched open in one final yawn, and he tumbled into a dreamless slumber.

((Timeskip, go! You can have your characters wake up the next morning. I will work on a plot post and add it once you all are ready.))

Cold... Everything is so cold...

The Turpentine could barely feel her limbs. A single talon stirred in the eerie silence. The Turpentine felt a chill run along her spine; a invisible hand of cold raking down upon her back.

Aren't I dead? Is this death?

Shaky breaths escaped the frostbitten being. Her breaths left a mist of cold air to drift from her dry lips. Little warmth came from the breathing, but the heat it did bring was most welcome.

No... I'm not dead. Why am I still alive?

Her eyes cracked open every so slightly. A blurry image in which the misfortune one could not decipher appeared before her. The golden eyes of the Turpentine were shrouded by a fog; laced with nothing by empty confusion.

I...I don't want to be alive.

A tail twitched, a wing shifted, an eye opened further. The Turpentine was slowly coming back to life. She was starting to feel her muscles once more, her parched throat, her broken skin, her frostbite covered wounds....

It hurts... everything hurts...

With the return of the ability to feel, came pain, enormous pain. A depth of cold entered the Turpentine's body. Her innards felt like they were burning up, yet her flesh felt like it was freezing over. A silent wail escaped the Turpentine as the pain consumed her. Her eyes coursed with it and her body shook with agony. In her best attempt to make the pain stop, the Turpentine let out a small cry.

"...Stop...."

user posted image

"NNNOOOO!!!!!" the hatchling screamed, looking over at at his decapitated mother. "NNNOOOO!!!!!"

Nigh smacked his hand onto the cave wall next to him, waking up with sudden and rapid breaths, his extended claws making horrific scratching sounds on the limestone. He was farther from the rest during his sleep compared to the day before, which was exactly what he had planned. No one to hear me or my nightmares... he thought, with guilt still lingering in his mind. Today, however, would be impossible for a hatchling to grow fearful. It was Christmas Day, the most joyous day of the year.

Maybe today will be more relaxing.... he pondered, his claws still sliding down the wall.

user posted image

Oliver awoke from his sleep, not remembering anything of last nights events. He expected to wake up to the familiar white snow and freezing temperatures he was beginning to grow accustomed to, but instead he awoke in a warm room wrapped in a remarkably soft blanket. He faintly remembered being...carried? That must have been it, since he was sure he couldn't have walked here in that blizzard. His eyes adjusted to the light, and saw that a white dragon was curled up near the other side of the room. He wasn't quite sure where he was, who that was, and why he was here. Who would just go out of their way to rescue another dragon? Did others actually care that much? Without thinking, he began to softly talk to himself.

"Well then, I guess I'll just sit here until someone explains what's going on. Wow, my scales ache. I wonder if there's anything to eat. No, I'll wait. You can't just go searching for food in someones home. Oliver, think! Rude, rude, rude rude.... Okay just sit here quietly.. quietly.... not talking.. Oh lord I'm talking to myself." He closed his mouth and patiently waited for the dragon to wake.

The darkness. It made him fear for his life. Flare was unconscious but his dream was so vivid it was horrifying. Flare awoke to an empty cave only remembering he probably had frostbite. But he was fine. Huh? Flare thought as he got out of his resting position. What is going on? Then he heard it. A high pitched shrieking of a dying dragon. Flare went outside to find the blizzard was gone. Instead the ground was stained a deep red in a line that went into the beyond. Obviously being a little hatchling, curiosity got to him. He followed the trail, and followed, and followed, and followed, and finally after following the trail for what Flare thought was hours, his heart stopped at what he saw at the end. Two massive dragons fighting. One, a deep fiery red, was winning and the red trail was obviously blood from the losing opponent. Right as Flare began the run away the other dragon, too bloodstained to tell it's kind, died. It just died. It's body was charred mainly. Charred? Thought Flare. What kind of dragon uses fire to fight? Then it hit him. If Flare was in a fight he would use fire. The victorious dragon couldn't be a hellhorse, so... Right as that thought began to form, the dragon began to turn around to face Flare. Run. It said right before another colossal dragon tackled the previously victorious one, the attackers race being a completely unknown species to Flare. All he could conjure up from any of his memory was the childhood horror stories from Halloween. This, this... beast... looked dead... yet was not dead. This creature was without a doubt skeletal. All he could see before he turned around to run was prey running away and a nest of these creatures dangerously close to the battle. And the fire dragon flying away severely scarred and frightened. Run. It said one last time before disappearing into the clouds. Right then he woke up to see dragons all around. It was all a dream. Just a dream. It never happened and never will... (Imagine a long pause) Right? (Just so you know this is sort of like Nigh's thing and is mean't to be confusing as to who these dragons are and why Flare is dreaming about them.)

user posted image

Ace watched as the female bleeding moon hatchling danced through out the area. It seemed like she was enjoying it, she was smiling the whole time she was dancing. The bleeding moon giggled a bit, and slowly danced towards the albino. He stared at the silver moon, his eyes never taking off of her. The bleeding moon stopped dancing when she reached the albino, and made a gentle, kind smile. "Hey, wanna join?" The female cheerfully asked and held out a paw. Before he could ever answer, Ace found himself in a cave. He had woken up from his dream.

"...What was I...?" He muttered. The albino had forgotten what he had dreamt about. Ace looked at his paw. He could remember some parts of his dream, but the rest seemed blurry.

((Here! Have a half plot/half Absalom post.))

Absalom settled himself heavily on the varnished bench, face in paws. He stared through his claws at the deserted cavern, the aftermath of the night's feast still evident in the scattered plates and bits of wrapping paper. The towering spruce still stood in the corner, glittering with baubles and tinsel. A few tiny dragons hopped around the base of the tree, adjusting the pile of packages settled beneath the ornamented boughs.

The Winter Magi heaved a sigh, running a paw over his muzzle. A crimson pygmy at his feet stared at him with bright black eyes, a wide smile brightening it's face.

"Cheer up! I am sure everyone will love the celebration." It chirped happily, a rough brown package pinned between it's claws. It held up the box expectantly. "Paper, sir?"

Absalom bent down, a sudden trail of brilliant wrapping paper sprouting from his claws. "We did cut this very close, didn't we?" he murmured. The pygmy nodded.

"Nicolas was late.. " The pygmy sealed the now-wrapped package with a string of gold ribbon. "But he came through. He always does."

The Winter Magi rubbed his face with a paw, and sighed. "Yes, he did. Christmas is his life. Sometimes... " he trailed off. "Sometimes I wonder if this shouldn't be left to him." The pygmy started, nearly dropping the package. It stared at Absalom with its mouth agape, wondering. "No, no- " Absalom continued, waving a frantic claw. "I still enjoy the season, spreading cheer and all that. I just wish I had enough time to spend on more... pressing issues." He stood carefully, mindful of the rushing hordes of crimson-and-green pygmies. "The weather is changing, as are the news from the surface. Things are getting violent; gruesome, even. A terror rises in the north." The pygmy, mystified, stared up worriedly at Absalom.

"D- do you mean..?" it stuttered, a free paw covering its still-open mouth.

Absalom nodded. "Yes. Amnon is back."

The Winter Magi stood, weaving through the frantic pygmies rushing to wrap presents and place them beneath the tree. The pile of gifts was rising, one for every dragon, but there were still more to go. A crimson, plush velvet bag bursting with toys and candies and wonderful books stood in the corner, growing smaller as its contents were emptied. He nodded to the workers, and stepped through the arch of the entrance. His eyes adjusted to the dark interior of the tunnel, the stalagmites rising from the darkness before him.

It is due time for our meeting... I must speak with the others immediately. Perhaps they will glean some happier meaning from this news.

Perhaps I should do something to help with the festivities today... Nigh thought, stretching his arms for preparation of the long day that would be ahead. Although the cave seemed quieter than usual, Everyone is still worn out from yesterday..., the pitter-patter of tiny and busy feet was able to be heard from the large meeting center. It did not take long for him to recognize the dragons near the large and decorated tree. Ater all, they were the ones who resembled him the most in stature. He never quite as short around them, and over time he developed a less-than-peculiar fondness for them despite the reality that he hardly knew any of them.

At this moment, however, what stood out to him most was Absalom, who appeared strangely despondent. I should leave him be for now. He doesn't want to be disturbed. Nigh thought. He did not want to entirely leave him, however. That would appear cold and uncaring. Instead, he simply looked over at the tree, the lasting figure of joy and happiness to all the dragons in the caves, the one symbol that brought them together.

"Oh, but surely you know I lack the ability to destroy such a special bond," Felix cooed. "Even if I could dispose of it, for what purpose would I do so. I do not care for what they do, nor do I can about them personally. As long as they do what they are told and leave me alone, I'll be just fine with them. Of course, they haven't been doing that lately; hence why I ask you to allow a punishment to befall them." A sharp bolt flooded the old gray's eyes. Whatever emotion they held remained unknown.

"That is, of course, if you're still willing for me to show them a thing or two..."

Lask waved a skeletal paw at the Gray. "YES, YES. YOU HAVE MY PERMISSION AND MY BLESSING. DO WITH THEM AS YOU WISH. ACCORDING TO MY TERMS, OBVIOUSLY." He shook his arm, scattering droplets of frozen water through the crisp air. He slunk over to a jutting boulder, wrapping his lank form around the pillar of stone. "IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE YOU WOULD ASK OF ME, MAGISTER FELIX?" The Ice stared at his claws, holding them up against the feeble, eerie light of the cavern. "OH, AND IF YOU WOULDN'T MIND, COULD YOU CALL THAT IDIOT OF A SEASONAL DOWN HERE? YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE SO GENTLE IN ASKING. I HAVE... PUNISHMENT OF MY OWN TO DELIVER." His lip curled back from his gums, showing serrated fangs glittering in the chilly cavern darkness. A rumbling laugh echoed off the vaulted rock ceiling.

"I ask nothing more of you," Felix replied. "I shall give your men their punishment, without breaking their loyalty towards you of course, and I will bring down that Seasonal to you." Felix turned, being careful to not knock over anything with his large wings. Just as Felix reached the mouth of the cave, he stopped.

"Oh, and by the way," he said, his head positioned to the side. "The next time someone climbs my pillar to complain about the weather, I'm going to freeze them. I hope you don't mind. I prefer it when imbeciles don't plague me with idiotic questions."

Edited by Doctortear

Lask's grin widened, stretching his thin teal skin around his skull. His eyes glittered, and he choked out another laugh. "NO, I DO NOT MIND AT ALL. A LITTLE COLD COULD NEVER HURT ANY OF THEM, AFTER ALL THEY HAVE BEEN PUT THROUGH." He cocked his head, suddenly silent. His claws clicked against the stone, keeping time to some inaudible beat. "MY APOLOGIES FOR INCONVENIENCING YOU, WITH THE STORM AND WITH MY ABSURD REQUEST. YOU ARE A GOOD COMPANION, FELIX. I DO NOT WISH TO OFFEND." His smile vanished, replaced by a brooding heavy-lidded stare. Claws, sharpened with years of use, scraped against the stone and his own ragged flesh.

---

Absalom paused, a paw held flat against the cool stone of the tunnel.

Maybe..

He pinched the bridge of his snout, closing his eyes as he thought.

Ithream is hardly a credible source. Well, in the past, at least.

The Winter Magi shook his head.

You don't know that. It was only rumor. And, as we've seen, rumor is more wrong than right.

He retracted his arm, the warmth in his paw stolen by the cold rock. His eyes blinked slowly, the glow the burning candles shed on the cavern clouding his vision. He heaved a sigh.

Go on then, you old fool. Gather up the holidays. It is time you caught up with them, if anything. When was the last meeting?

Absalom pursed his lips. "I'm going, I'm going... " he murmured. Obeying his nagging thoughts, he walked steadily onwards. After a few bends, the light from the tree was blocked by the thick tunnel walls. The rock-littered floor sloped downwards, twisting ever deeper into the dark caves.

I should have sent a message... it's too far for an old dragon to walk.

He chuckled quietly, passing a paw over his nose.

Not that Merab is any younger.

"I have not taken any offense from you," Felix replied coolly, his head stiff faced to the side.

"I must take my leave. It was enjoyable to speak with you again, Lask." Shifting his head back forward, Felix left the cold cavern and ascended upward. Slowly, the grasp of the cold cave below began to slowly dwindle away. It wasn't nearly as bad up above as it was below in the caverns. Felix continued to walk until he reached the surface. He stopped at the mouth of the tunnel and glanced around at the idiots around him. They were all laughing, eating, and enjoying each others company. The faintest grin slyly crept upon Felix's lips.

I'm going to enjoy this.

With that thought, a cold draft breezed through the cavern. Felix wasn't planning to go easy on these buffoons.

user posted image

Tirren's eyes snapped open. She was on a bed, wrapped in a warm blanket with a hot bowl of soup beside her. She took the time to look around and examine her soroundings. She could see that there were other dragons in the room with her, most of them snoozing off. She bent down and gratefully took a long sip of the soup, letting it flood into her mouth. A warm feeling spread over her chest and she settled down again with a contented sigh. "Thankyou.."

(( shh guise this isn't dead I swear

I'll probably have the reboot all finished up by Spring Break. I'd start it now but school and stuff are in the way :< ))