Ayesthine

Pagos Epochi - The Time of Ice

The cold ice block was running now! Well he had helped plenty. From his countless walks he had learned not to fly especially if it was snowing. Just then he say Kyu come out of the cave. Heh. Kyu. Wait. Kyu!? Flare screamed. Kyu. Kyu. Kyu!!! Flare chanted as he notice Kyu see the "ice" and him running towards the cave. I'm no one important so no one would have noticed that I was gone! Flare thought as he ran towards Kyu. Saved. Flare thought. But his troubles were far from over...

user posted image

And it was a good thing she did! She spotted two more HATCHLINGS in the blizzard! "I really, really hope there aren't any more out there...!"

She set the little waverunner down. She tapped her claw on her chin, thinking of how to keep the waverunner warm while she was out. "Wish I could remember where we put the emergency blankets near the entrance..." She suddenly had an idea! Kyu raised her tail to her claws and picked some strands of her tail fur. Kyu then quickly weaved them together to form a sort of "blanket." It was crude as it looked more like a failed art project, but it was something. She wrapped the "blanket" that she had made around the little hatchling. "I'll be back. Just stay here and wait for me okay? This should help you keep warm while I go and save a few more hatchlings. Then you and everyone else who are suffering out there... Aaaalllll of you will get to enjoy the warmth and love of the cave." She gave a gentle pat on the little one's head and smiled to reassure her. "Everything's gonna be alright now."

Her time was short so she took a risk and started running-teleporting to the two separate places she saw hatchlings at. She missed her mark a few times due to poor visibility, but at least she got there in half the time she would've usually taken by running, "snow swimming" or flying. It also however exhausted her quicker than all 3 of them combined. Hey- It was a risk she had to take! Without waiting to ask questions, she arrived at a red hatchling and plucked him up from the snow with her left paw.

She then teleport-limp ran to her second destination. But wait! The place she swore she saw another hatchling... Where was it! She frantically searched the snow grounds. Oh no... Its probably one of those hatchlings whose skin matches with the snow! "For the love of all the christmas presents in the world!" She gently pawed around the snow, trying to find a solid object or event the faintest amount of warmth. She couldn't find it! She had to be missing the target... Concentrating, she send a telepathic message as far as she could within a few feet radius. <If you're here in the snow, let me know in someway so I can find you!> She hoped that this message not only reached the mind of the second hatchling she saw, but also anyone else out there who needed help.

Although she would do anything for most hatchlings, and yes its a part of her duty as caretaker to save anyone who is outside in this kind of weather but... In all honesty Kyu was getting tired of this rescue operation. It wasn't her specialty- though Absalom would say otherwise- and it was certainly not something she enjoyed. Even if she did often encounter stray dragons in the cold due to her "snow swimming" hobby.

Edited by Taleena Fuka

Ace heard a message in his mind. How could I make myself noticeable...? He thought to himself. It was obvious that his red glowing eyes weren't enough to make the others see him. Maybe he should yell? I'm not sure if I can talk anymore in this condition... The Albino wasn't sure if he could do it. I suppose I could try though.... He thought. Ace tried to yell out "Help!" or "I'm here!" but didn't manage to make a sound. He hesitated to yell, as he wasn't sure if the dragon would hear his words. He gritted his teeth. Just one time...! He took a deep breath to prepare, and screamed, although what came out was a shriek. Wow, I sound...horrible...ugh...I hope she hears though... He thought as he shrieked like an barn owl for the dragon to hear. Edited by Jass

The click of claws scraping against stone filled the cave. Felix, who had went back into the cave once he had tried his hand at calming the blizzard, looked up from the rock he resided on. The buffoons from the patrol gathered into the caves and stretched their limbs in an attempt to remove the numbness from their bodies. Felix couldn't help but notice the shape of the hairless Pillow, Knock. The reasoning for which the Pillow lacked fur was unknown to Felix, but he didn't care enough to figure it out. After all, Felix gave little attention to what was really going on in Lask's horde. He lacked the compassion to look into things; even more so when it came to stopping the monstrosities that happened in the dark caverns. Speaking of which, Felix needed to check in with Lask about the weather. Felix stood up from where laid and made his way towards where he thought Lask would most likely be. Felix ventured deep into the cave system. The light diminished and was replace with an eerie darkness. Cold seeped into the air; tendrils of ice crawling on the cave floor and walls. Felix finally reached a room where he thought Lask would be. Although it was dark, Felix could make out the form of the strange creature in front of him. Pools of ice littered the floor and icicles hung from the ceiling, taking the place of stalactites. "Lask," Felix began as he stood at the entrance to the frozen cavern. "You wished for the blizzard to be calmed, correct? I must say, it seems as though your warriors are complaining more and more about the simplest of things. Perhaps it is time to knock some sense into them?"

user posted image

Once he was within twenty feet of the entrance, he could hardly go any further than risk first-degree frostbite. He could hardly see outside either, the blizzard really was about, thought it appeared to be calming down just a little. How long has this been going on? He could never grasp how the older dragons could tolerate the weather for even a few seconds. It appeared that anyone who stepped outside was dead meat. Darekaga, osoraku soto ni aru.....please not a hatchling..... He thought about making a run to gather blankets, but wasn't sure if it was appropriate just yet.

user posted image

She heard a shriek that sounded like a barn owl around in the snow. "Must be an Albino..! And a young one at that, no wonder this one was hard to find. Tiny AND White." She rolled her eyes and mentally laughed at her own joke. From the sounds of the shriek, she could tell that the hatchling wasn't too far from the surface. Carefully with her free paw she poked around the snow where she heard the sound. Finally, she felt a solid object emitting warmth! Not much warmth with it being cold and all but its something! She made a blind stab into the snow and successfully caught the little hatchling. "Heheh... Cute little hatchling..."

"Hold on to my paws tightly, both of you!" She yelled to the two hatchlings in her front paws. Opening her wings she struggled to catch the turbulent air- Kyu wasn't exactly the best flier in a blizzard and she had trouble projecting her teleportation path. It was going to take a bit longer than she hoped to get to the cave and get these two to the cave. Hopefully these two are the LAST two she'll have to deal with.

((Next post Kyu will reach the cave))

user posted image

Knock's face twisted oddly as his tail started to tingle. "Oof! Tat nev'r feels any less weird each time it 'appens." A small dragon hesitated to approach the uncrowded fire pit, but stopped mid-gait with one paw hung in suspense. Knock looked it up and down from the corner of his eye, then snorted. "Oh 'ave a try. Count t'is as te one time you'll benefit from be'n so wee." The youngling of unidentifiable breed took a cautious step forward, eyes locked on Knock. It quivered as it nudged itself towards the warmth. "Won't bite t'is time."

Knock could almost remember being that young. Nev'r wus that skinny, though. The thawed pillow dragon now got to his feet and made his way to one of the back hallways. Behind him, the young dragon sighed in relief and sprawled out around the fire.

Even after hundreds of years, the tunnel system still confounded Knock. He could remember the locations of each entrance, but that was about it. He started heading in a general that-ish direction, noting changes in temperature as a guide. The flickering yellow light from the main room dripped away from the walls as he hiked. He hummed absentmindedly.

"Wrap me up in me oil-skin and jumper

take me where me future lie

Where the sun it nev'r sets, me lads,

no darkness dims te sky."

A few minutes of swaggered wandering later, Knock had finally found a patch of frost lace. He turned down a cavern with a slick ice floor. Gett'n close now! Every so often, there were stone basins filled with white flame that helped to vaguely illuminate things. The hallway wound and branched off more, but Knock made sure to go where the chill was densest. And at the next open room- at least 80 wings tall, Knock reckoned- a familiar ornamental archway marked his arrival.

((Oliver is hiding out in his makeshift home thing. Maybe you could find him? Next post I think i'll make him suffer worse from frostbite. ))

((You'll have to wait for Tala, Jane. That sounds fine to me otherwise ^^ ))

--

Lask's glittering, mishcevious eyes filled with manic glee as the eggs bobbed in the icy pools. The deep black orbs refocused quickly on the approaching Grey. "AH, YES." His skinny, emaciated head bobbed in affirmation. "COMPLAINTS ARE NOT UNCOMMON, BUT THAT RIDICULOUS LIEUTENANT WAS GIVING ME GRIEF. THE WORST PUNISHMENT I COULD FIND WAS HAVING HIS WISH GRANTED AFTER HIS.. DEMISE." The Ice chuckled, and forced more freezing mist from his open jaws. It curled in white rivulets through the air, and the biting air grew colder. Lask turned back to his work. He stirred the water with a bony claw, and grinned. "SORRY, OLD BOY, FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE. I REALIZE A STORM OF THAT PROPORTION IS NOT EASY TO CONTROL."

A sudden cry caught Lask's attention, and for a moment his eyes were trained on the shadowed corner of the cavern. His thin, skeletal shoulders swung to face the noise. He took a step, claws clattering on the frosty stone. His eyes, if Felix could have seen them, were hurt and confused.

The moment passed, and Lask wheeled to face his companion. "ALTHOUGH, I AM SURE YOU HAVE MORE THAN ENOUGH POWER FOR THAT." His tone, once warm and friendly, was now flecked with the same ice that coated his creations.

--

Absalom dropped to the gravelly cave floor, his wings folded tight against his sides. The flight up the tunnels had been hurried and reckless, but he had made it safely. He always had; these caves were his home.

The sight of a small black form caught his eye. His large, wedge-shaped head swung to face the pygmy. "Hello, Nigh." he called. His voice was steady and warm, but a hint of anxiety shadowed his features.

The storm changed course so quickly... what turned it towards us again?

The Winter Magi peered out into the storm. Worry creased his brow.

I'm sure the caves will stay safe, but the dragons outside will not fare well.

He heaved a sigh at his dark thoughts, and shuffled his wings. "Then again... " he muttered. His chest heaved as he sighed again. "But would they forgive me for it?"

((Sorry for the wait Jane! Also, sorry if its very impromptu, Kyu is getting very impatient now.))

user posted image

She was almost at the cave! "Please let there be no one else that needs saving please let there be no one else-" Despite her prayers, she could somehow sense that someone else needed help. On her way to the cave she noticed a sort of makeshift cave in the distance. Obviously it wasn't going to hold for very long. She could tell that the makeshift cave was probably going to collapse or at least cause frostbite with the small pockets of air the makeshift cave had.

Kyu was getting sick of having to do all this rescuing- she had already recused quite enough for an entire month in her opinion! Plus it was probably made by an ADULT dragon. They could take care of themselves! But she knew- she knew if she didn't go and rescue those she knew full well that she was capable of rescuing, Absalom would somehow figure out that she didn't do so and scold her in someway. Its a pain! He would also know and eventually catch her and scold her when she would play some pranks on some of the older dragons, and he could see right through her illusions no matter how complex she tried to make them... "Well, thats Absalom for ya..."

Since she was already nearby the cave she decided to drop of the two hatchlings -the red hatchling and the white hatchling- she had rescued at the mouth of the cave. Since she was in a rush, she didn't bother to see if the previous hatchling- the wave runner- was still there or not. She simply put the two down on the cave floor, plucked some of her mane and then individually wrapped them around the two hatchlings. "Don't move from there unless an adult comes by and picks you up. My mane should keep you warm." She then took a deep breath and yelled through the tunnel, "ANYONE WHO IS NEARBY THE ENTRANCE, THERE ARE TWO TO THREE HATCHLINGS HERE FOR TREATMENT AND SHELTER! PICK THEM UP PLEAAASSEEE!" Although technically she wasn't supposed to yell through the tunnel passage... Oh well.

She ran back into the snow, towards the makeshift cave. "I'm such an errand tool today... Guess if can't be helped since the usual rescuers are filled to the brim with christmas cake by now." She poked her head through the entrance of the makeshift cave with a surly look and was snout to snout with an adult horse dragon resting. He appeared to have the beginnings of frost bite... "Hey you. Get up. Come with me if you don't want to freeze to death or get pummeled by the very thing you built." She certainly didn't want to waste sugary words on this dragon, as she was already being nice in coming to rescue this one-albiet because she didn't want to get scolded.

Edited by Taleena Fuka

"Oh, don't worry, I easily handled that storm," Felix replied. His tail swayed side to side as the air got colder and colder. Chips of ice were starting to form on Felix's body but he simply flecked them off. "I'm just don't take kindly to wasting my abilities on a few weak meat bags who complain about a little frost." Felix rolled his shoulders and got into a more comfortable position. The unnatural cold was annoying to him and Felix didn't feel like being uncomfortable for the sake of respecting Lask. "You should probably get someone to teach those "warriors" of yours a lesson or two. If I had a scale for every time someone came up to be with whiny complaints of it being too cold or too windy, I would be swimming in a mound of scales. I am not to be taken for granted. Especially by such pitiful creatures."

"RESPECT IS EVERYTHING." he hissed, olive eyes flinty and hard. He stalked over to jagged stone, tail lashing angrily. He draped his ragged form across the rock. "I'LL SEE TO IT, FELIX. IT'S ABOUT TIME I HAD SOME FUN." His lips curled as he spoke, the disgust on his face evident. He started with brooding eyes at the icy pools. "I'M SURPRISED THEY MANAGED TO REACH YOU. I WOULD IMAGINE CLIMBING THAT SLOPE WOULD DISSUADE ANY COMPLAINERS. IT SEEMS, HOWEVER, THAT I AM WRONG." The sound of cracking ice echoed around the cavern. Lask started at the noise, and he rose quickly from his seat. He rushed to the brink of one of the pools, paused a moment, and drove his skinny forleg into the water. He scrabbled for purchase on an egg. He crushed his paw around the smooth oval, claws sinking into the thin shell. He pulled his dripping arm from the water, holding the egg up to his eye. He scrutinized it, and tossed it down with a sigh. "SO CLOSE." he murmured. The egg dropped into the water with a muted splash.

user posted image

Looking up at Absalom, he quickly responded, "Hello, Mr. Absalom." in a quiet and respectful manner. Refraining himself from asking about the storm, he could tell by the look on the Winter Magi's face that he was not certain about the situation himself. This only piqued the Dark Myst's interest about the storm; he was already genuinely worried about the possibility of dragons outside, and he longed for more knowledge about what was happening. Maybe, just maybe, if he knew exactly what was going on, then perhaps he could....

The long yell from Kyu snapped him out of his thoughts, and he raced on over to the hatchlings - Not hatchlings! - to try and figure out what happened, while helping them. Although the severity of the weather was unbearable even from the entrance of the cave, the sight of the three hatchlings quickly dispelled any thoughts about heading back. Although he showed no emotion, he was filled with regret about what happened. If I hadn't been asleep, maybe I would've been able to prevent one of the three from leaving! Recognizing one of the hatchlings, the Hellfire, he felt as though he should say something to him, perhaps to comfort him in this time of despair, or to relieve him of worries, to assure him that everything would be okay. He couldn't do it. Not a chance. Instead, he noticed that one of the hatchlings was wrapped in a blanket mane, unlike the other two with small manes, and immediately rushed over. Though he did not know Coastal Waverunner, or what was even going on in her mind, he quickly lifted her up and ran towards the others. This one could be in the worst condition. Why would she have extra mane covering her for warmth? He could see other dragons already making their way to the mouth of the cave, some frightened and unsure about what was happening. Not one seemed to notice the small pygmy struggling to carry the Waverunner of identical size.

Now at the center gathering of the cave, he was unsure of what to do next. Although he knew medical care was necessary, he could not bring himself to shout to gain attention. Instead, he calmly stated, "Excuse me everyone, but this hatchling needs medical attention quickly. It was outside in the storm for a great amount of time. If someone experienced could help, that would be very useful." It was the longest he had spoken in years.

Edited by Bacon_Strips

user posted image

Oliver was awakened by a voice, and opened his eyes. The face of another dragon stared at him from the entrance of his hut. What the? Isn't there a blizzard outside? I died, didn't I? He thought, very puzzled by the fact that a dragon could last for more than a few minutes out there in the current weather. He hadn't been around another dragon in years, and it was obvious to himself that he really didn't even know much about other species of dragons. Taking in her words, Oliver looked around and realized that part of his cave thing had started falling down already. He quickly got up, and winced at the pain on his scales. The tips of his wings were becoming red and raw, telltale signs of frostbite. I think she's right, I need to go with her to somewhere safer. Is there somewhere safer? He hesitated before following her outside. She could have been a bit kinder... He thought.

"Okay, I see what you mean. I'll come with you." He said simply, not wanting to irritate her further, as it seemed she was already burdened with the job of rescuing him. The cold air and snow of the blizzard hit him, and he tensed up before following her to wherever it was she was taking him.

Felix kept his gaze trained on Lask; not even blinking when the frozen egg was dropped back into the water. "I don't care how you get them to realize their error of their ways," Felix said clearly. "However, should you need my assistance in... giving them a lesson, then I'll be more than glad to help. I'm not too fond of the quantity of idiots that live in this group." The end of Felix's sentence ended with a low hiss. The irritation of having to deal with imbeciles constantly showed in Felix's words. He was most certainly not content with his daily life. Edited by Doctortear

((Bacon, The wave runner has a blanket made out of Kyu's mane while the red and white hatchlings only have Kyu's mane covering them. Since the other two are only in regular mane and not a crude blanket they have less warmth.))

user posted image

"Gah, he really needs warmth... But I can't just grab him in my paws or give him a blanket made out of my mane. This is part of the reason its bothersome to rescue adults..."

She mustered a majority of her magical energy into her paw and then pressed her paw gently against the Horse dragon's eyes.

She gave him the illusion that instead of the unforgiving wintery landscape, they were walking through a grassy hillside filled with flowers, trees, and most importantly, the sun shinning down on him. She made the illusion in such a way that he felt he was actually there.

As long as her paw remained on his eyes, the spell wouldn't be broken and he wouldn't notice that she had just mounted him onto her back. It was a bit difficult, having to carry him on her back, have one arm twisted around so it stayed on his eyes, to make sure that she didn't allow him to fall off her back, and to fly in this blizzard all at the same time... It was all a pain.

((Somewhere in your post jane, have him be in the illusion then have the illusion broken either when they reach the cave or just before they reach the cave, however you want it.))

Edited by Taleena Fuka

user posted image

As Oliver started walking, the blanket of white snow before him faded into lush greenery, and rolling hillsides. He staggered back, wondering what sort of trick this was. The sun beamed down on him, warming him up. Yup, he was definitely dead. The other dragon was an illusion, and now he was in a sacred place up there in the sky. He laid down in the soft grass, and watched the clouds. Being dead wasn't so bad after all. He closed his eyes.

When he opened them, he was on the back of the dragon he had seen earlier, and he was blinded by white once again. Immense sadness came over him when he realized that he would have to continue enduring this hell of a blizzard once more. Yet, he was grateful for the dragon and let her carry him to a cave that was visible in the distance.

The Winter Magi stared blankly at the small, huddled shapes on the cave floor. He had been too lost in his anxious thoughts to realize what was going on around him. He knew a Turpentine had been recovered from the storm, and that Bwriadoll had returned, but he hadn't expected to many dragons needing rescue. The slim, silvery shape of Kyu flitting in and out of the storm troubled his heart. He knew the Ribbon Dancer was strong and skillful, but this weather was almost evil. She couldn't stay out there for much longer.

With a shake of his head, Absalom dashed away his confused imaginings. The other holiday would be fine, he was sure. She was resourceful and intelligent; she could make it. These hatchlings, on the other hand, may not.

With a soft sigh of rustling skin, Absalom bent down to view the hatchlings. The poor quivering shapes were covered in a scrap of fur; fur from the Ribbon Dancer's mane. The Winter Magi unfolded his leathery wings, curving them through the air to block the bone-chilling wind. His talons scooped up the two hatchlings. "If you do not mind, young ones, I will take you to the caves. Any objections?"

--

The Magi started at the sound of a small voice, somewhere near the entrance of the cave. His frilled orange head jerked up from it's resting position, and swiveled to face the small Dark Myst pygmy. He glanced at the still form of the turpentine. The frail body barely moved, and as a healer the magi felt called to stay by it's side. Another part of him, shrewd and practical, knew that it was wise to care for the hatchling as soon as he could. It probably had a higher chance of survival than the bruised and scarred body before him. He rose to his feet with a sigh. He nodded to a few dragons scurrying through the hallways as he shuffled towards the pygmy. "I can help, friend. I'm as experienced as I'll ever be." His tone was prematurely defeated. The Turpentine may never recover, he thought, and although he knew there was nothing else he could have done the magi still felt accountable for his patient's terrible condition.

His swirling orange eyes rested on the small form cradled between Nigh's arms. Out of habit, he categorized it's injuries.

Hmm.. not too bad, considering. Mild frostbite on the wings, possible hypothermia, but nothing majorly wrong. A warm blanket and some rest will heal this Wave Runner up in no time.

((Tirren's injuries are not set in stone, Dragonlet, so if you'd like I can change this ^^ Also, Bacon: the healer has no name, but if you (or anyone else, for that matter) could come up with one and mention it when referring to him, that would be great. I might have plans for him ninja.gif ))

user posted image

Ace sneezed as the Winter Magi scooped him up along with another hatchling. The Winter Magi asked if he could take them into the caves. He had no objections. It should be obvious that the other hatchling would have no objections also. Ace would've been surprised if the the other did.

Ace soon realized he was extremely tired. It was hard to lift his eyes up. Huh, even though I told myself I was going to sleep the minute I was at the cave... He thought. The albino yawned, making a bit of an owl's shriek.

user posted image

Tirren felt paws pick her up and lift her into the air. Some of the hair of the mane fell loose and slowly drifted to the ground like a leaf. She raised up her head to look at the strange, dark purple dragon. She had never seen him before; nor had she seen his species. She wrapped her wings around herself. She blinked and squinted her eyes against the light as she was carried inside. She could barely hear the yawn and shouting of the dragon who had saved her, she was just too dazed and tired.

((Wait, Jass, Ace is being carried by Nigh too, correct?))

Edited by XxDragonletxX

((No, Bacon's post was a little bit wrong... with the 'no mane' covering thing. And besides, Tirren is at the entrance of the cave, it would make sense for Absolom to pick her up.))