sh20000sh

What's weather there right now?

Rain. Rain rain rain.

Have to keep thinking of that song by Luke Bryan, rain is a good thing.

It rained yesterday, thank God, but today it's already shaping up to be blazing hot. >_< I don't mind heat itself, but add the humidity we have here in NC and it's miserable.

It's 76 F. and the sky is somewhat cloudy. It's not too humid though, so it might turn out to be a nice day. smile.gif

Sunny and nice, but not too warm, at least not yet.

Our sky is trying to be green as the sun is setting and it's coming out as a strange orange-yellow.

Under a tornado warning, hopefully that will just keep out west in Kansas and not here.

So there's a confirmed tornado on the ground in a town about 30 minutes southwest of me. Kind of freaked out. Basement here I come.

Edit: Looks like it's all going to stay south of here. We're just getting the top of the severe storms. I can handle all the sweet lightning (you know, from the safety of my room)

Edited by Lady_Nightfox

Ah, the sky is clear... the sun's setting and a nice cool breeze blazing hot wind is blowing. :(

It's hazy and I hope it stays that way and I hope it means rain. Anything to cut down on this infernal NC heat. dry.gif

Severe thunderstorms this afternoon, with lots of heavy rain. While waiting for the rain to lighten up after stepping out the door at work, I sheltered in what used to be the smokers' shack. There were five of us who were waiting when lightning struck a light pole near the building, about fifty feet away from where we were sheltering. I must say that is closest I've ever been to a lightning strike, and as close as I ever want to be to one.

It's too hoooooot, it's too hot out here...

Well, it was at the day camp I was helping at. Not so much back at home, especially now in the evening.

It should be against nature to be this hot at night. 82 degrees F at Midnight is insane! x_x;

However earlier was amazing! I witnessed a beautiful show of Heat Lightning. It lit up the sky across the lake and it was like mother Nature was celebrating July 4th early. I normally don't like normal thunderstorms. Not afraid, just...skidish I guess. But this was so awesome. I wish I had a working video camera.

Why is Heat Lightning silent? What makes it different from normal lightning?

Why is Heat Lightning silent? What makes it different from normal lightning?

In actuality, there is no such thing as heat lightning. What you are seeing is lightning in distant thunderstorms that are too far away for one to hear the thunder. When considering that strong to severe thunderstorm clouds can reach heights of 35,000 to 40,000 feet or more, cloud-to-cloud lightning in those storms can be seen as far as 100 miles away. Here's a more detailed answer: http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news...ng-a-myth/35089

The weather here is cooler than yesterday, and tomorrow is supposed to be quite chilly for early July, with highs only in the 60s F. The storms have all moved east.

Edited by casprrr

A heavy storm battered my neighborhood last night, and power is out seemingly everywhere in the suburbs. This morning, the weather has been much nicer with the exception of clouds.