padfoot

It's a Fae World

Styles would have moved to greet Maeve when she sat down but was stopped when a very particular girl walked in. He glanced at Zee questionably as she approached the bar.

Zee did not look surprised to see this girl in his bar, "What do you want, Twilight?", he asked, looking over the brim of his glasses.

Styles was not comfortable being this close to this Reaper. He wasn't familiar with this one and cursed his luck. Reapers were particularly annoying to his kind and this one seemed new in town. He decided against striking up a conversation with the girl for the interest of his own safety.

How expected of a Fae to be so rude. Honestly, it wasn't like she did anything. "Typical Fae hospitality. I'm here to issue a few warnings. Your kind has been particularly messy recently and we're tired of cleaning up your messes. Killings in broad daylight, running around with no form of glamour...honestly, us Reapers are turning into Grey Lords. There have been far too many wrongly-timed deaths at the hands of Fae recently, and I came to warn all of you that weMre going yo take matters into our own hands if you can't get a lid on this." She deadpanned. Fae were always so rude to other supernatural beings, and it was getting old. All Twilight was just trying to do her job, and all these Fae were screwing it up. She paused to take the pocketwatch she wore around her neck off and opened it. It was obvious it was powerful, simply because a Reaper cared enough to wear it. Reapers didn't tend to wear accessories. "Ten wrongly-timed deaths this weak. There were a total of ten last year. Do we need to give you a list of who and who not to kill? It seems pretty obvious. The deadbeats, drug dealers, and the people nobody'll miss are all yours. Everyone else is off-limits. Isn't that the rules to start with?" Twilight clicked her tongue in dissaproval, closing the watch and slipping and chain back around her neck. After her business was taken care of, the dark aura in the room seemed to lighten up. "Now that I'm done rambling, I'll take your best draft." And why not? Reapers had a weakness for unhealthy food and drink, as anyone knew. It wasn't like it made then sick or anything, so they enjoyed it as much as possible.

Zee only smiled warmly, "hope you plan on paying for this", he said and pulled the wooden handle and the nozzle dispensed a dark brown beer into the mug he was just cleaning. He set it in front of the Reaper and gave a quick smile.

Style leaned on the bar and looked at the girl, "You know, Twilight", he said, remembering Zee calling her that, "Those untimely kills are not normal Fae's doing. They are all hyped up on this new drug thats circling the black market" he explained. He had never talking to a reaper before. The old one would hang around his office some times but he never really stuck around long enough to strike up a conversation.

((I know this starts off-topic, but it gets there.))

Cortes woke up with a start, a cold sweat dripping off his face and onto his blankets. "what the?" he muttered to himself while panting, as he thought of what he was in such a panic over, nothing, simply white noise echoed in his mind as he focused harder and harder. Now that he thinks of it, he can't even remember the last 2 days, the last thing he remembers is that he was particularly distressed as he... "What?" as he was thinking about it, it just left his brain, as if someone took a vacuum cleaner to his mind and was sucking out his thoughts. "I must've stumbled upon something!" he exclaimed, with a tinge of frustration in his voice, "It probably had something to do with the Faeries, no wait, there called Fae, aren't they...". In the previous week, he'd found another one of those pink crystals like the ones in his first archaeological dig in Rome while asking around Detroit. He took the crystal home and...

"Oh no..."

He rushed over to the bathroom in his house and opened his medicine cabinet, all of Cortes' toiletries were in perfect condition, ordered normally and no flaw in the arrangement whatsoever, a little too perfect. In blatant hysteria, he fumbled through his cabinet, knocking everything on the floor, with a loud crack, his bottle of aftershave smashed on the floor. He finally found his box of bi-carb in the top corner of the cabinet, he opened the box and pulled out the remote. It look similar to the electronic car keys, except it featured a 10-digit keypad and an enter button on it, the kind you'd usually see on a code lock of a phone or safe. He entered in the 6 digit code he had memorized previously, muttering to himself "976315", with the completion of the code and a click, the wooden slab that protruded out of his mahogany feature wall began to open outwards, he pulled out the safe inside, a traditional spin-dial safe with the numbers etched into its handle, "74 left, 92 right and 10 right." after inputting the second code, he was able to open this safe. inside, were the crystal should be, dust, sparkling fluorescently in the moonlight.

"damnit! where's that crystal?"

He thought of calling the police, what would he tell them though? someone stole my glowing crystal and left glowing dust behind, that would go real smooth. instead, Cotes decided to go for a walk to clear his mind, walked out of his bedroom and into the kitchen, the coffee maker beside his microwave was steaming, as usual, so he poured himself a cup and drank it quickly, the steaming black coffee made his taste-buds scream in pain, the scalding solution burned all the way down to his stomach as he swallowed, it was a good pain though, like pulling out a splinter from your toe. He shivered to himself, as if a ghost just passed through him and walked out the door to his apartment.

Walking down the hallway, he could hear the usual sounds of the night, they calmed him, the blaring music from the adolescent couple in the apartment 3 doors down, the arguing of the couple 6 doors down and even the eerie screeching of the bed the elderly couple sleep on, sighing with their breathing, they all made Cortes realise how much he loved his life, he hated the ordinary life of most people, Cortes always wanted to be someone great, and now he gets to go to every corner of the world, finding links to the supernatural.

After reaching the end of the hallway, he looked out the window to see the scene, the skyline was beautiful, the many colours of the lights, flashing like tiny pixels in a TV, he turned to his left and pushed down on the elevator, after a few seconds, the tone played and the doors opened. entering, he pushed G for ground, waiting a few moments, watching the orange numbers above the control panel decreasing to 0, the same tone played again as the doors slid open.

Walking out, he realised a surprising scene, police tape surrounded the lobby of the building, police writing in note books, cones set up in triangles all over the floor and the sergeant was speaking to the owner, he seemed distressed, like he's witnessed a mass murderer execute numerous people, he held a striped hankerchief to his mouth, sobbing gently in-between speaking, nodding as the sergeant spoke. Cortes walked up to the nearest officer and asked

"What's wrong?", the officer stared blankly back, as if in trance, after realising that someone had just spoken to him, he shook his head and cleared his throat.

"nothing's wrong, it shouldn't concern you."

Knowing that would be his probable answer, Cortes walked out, contemplating what happened, could it be another murder? Everywhere there has been a crystal so far, there's been a murder. Is it a coincidence? or something more sinister? walking down the street, he noticed a pawn shop, dreadfully unkept. It seemed to be almost hiding from his sight, staring at it for a while, it seemed to flicker randomly. Cortes stood stunned for a moment, contemplating the event, shrugging, he walked slowly off, almost hesitant to let it out of his sight.

Twilight smiled back politely. The chain aroud her neck chancged suddenly, appearing in her hand as a small purse rather than a necklace and a pocketwatch. "Yes, what currency do you take? American bills, or something else?" Some places ran by Fae used barter instead of cash, so her question wasn't stupid. A new voice hitting her ears made Twilight stop and turn. She blinked at Style, her expression as calm as always. "Is that so? Then that explains it. I supposed my shadows were reporting the usual drug deals, not some Fae drug." She crossed her legs, and tossed a length of inky black hair over her shoulder. It looked nonexistant, and made totally out of smoke. Soft blue eyes scanned over Style, curiosity glimmering in them. "How is it that you remain human in appearance?"

((Can I join?

name: RoD

character name: Komoison (Komo to her friends and under the name of Zoey Smith when in human disguise)

Species: Komodo Dragon Humanoid

-human: 23

-Fae: 186

job: Librarian

how this job helps the Fae:

Appearance: Right here

Appearance: She has the tail, claws, skin, and jaws of a komodo dragon

Background:---

Personality:---

Fae artifact: Leather gloves that hide her claws when she is human, she can retract them, but not exactly hide them and an old blet that is her tail. She also has a roman ring on her right hand

Other: Don't let her bite you, she will poison you))

((Your character can't shift right? And Glamor would hide your character's lizard parts))

Zee wrote the Reaper's name on the chalk board behind him, "American will be fine. It is only a beer after all", he said. Zee raised his eyebrow at Styles when he started talking to Twilight, "Behave", he said before walking across the tavern towards the sitting area.

Styles nodded, "Yep. There has been a increase in these deaths lately too. Surprised your all mighty Reaper powers didn't tell you that", he said sweetly, "Ever heard of Shards?", he asked. He was caught off guard by her question about his appearance, "Huh. Oh, how I look.", he stammered. IT was kinda a strange question. His kind evolved to blend in perfectly with the human race to make feeding easier, "Well...that's becasue I am human in appearance",he said simply, "I don't have fangs or wings or locks of death smoke like most Fae".

Zee brought a teapot seemingly from no where and offered it to Maeve, "want me to top off your tea?", he asked as he sat across from her with a sigh. Having a reaper in the bar was throwing the balance with the other Fae.

Edited by padfoot

Very well. Twilight pulled a twenty from her purse and set it on the countertop. Money was of no concern to creatures who could only be killed with their specific weapon, so she wasn't worried about how much it costed. After snapping the purse shut, it morched back into the watch, which she slipped back around her neck. "My powers only extent so far, just like the lot of you. Besides, it isn'r exactly my job to play nanny over other species." She stated calmly. The Reaper paused to take a large swig from the dark drink. It seemed much unlike her appearance, but Twilight seemed to have no trouble with her actions. She wiped her mouth with a hand before continuing. "It is a strange, yet welcome sight, I assure you. I can never understand why Fae hunt humans of all creatures. Their souls are valuable, but Fae gain nourishment from consuming flesh. It must be a pain to be governed by hunger. We eat because we like the taste of human food. The only useful skill humans have are their cooking abilites."

Maeve relaxed after the reaper’s aura subsided and gave a small shudder. It wasn’t often she came across a reaper and the few instances where she had always unnerved her. She took a sip of tea to calm her nerves and swallowed it with a grimace. It’d gone cold. Maeve let out sigh and went to set her cup down and was surprised to see the barkeeper there.

“Oh, hi Zee, hello!” Maeve said, mildly startled by his sudden appearance. She lifted her teacup in response to his question, “Yes, please.” She said with a smile. “So, what’s she doing here?” Maeve nodded towards the reaper still sitting at the bar, now talking to Styles. “Is it about all the weird deaths lately?” She looked at him, her pale eyes showing both concern and curiosity.

Melody clicked down the sidewalk in her heels, coming up on the quiet street that housed the Hollow. Most traffic was provided by fae and so the little street would be abandoned without them though there were several disused business around, the most active being a laundromat which also got most of it's activity from the fae around. She played with the clasp of her necklace, ready to have it off as soon as she got inside. Glamor wasn't heavy at all, even if it added or took away body parts, but it was always a bit uncomfortable to her. Dispelling it was like talking a jacket off on a hot summer day. She strode up to the door of the Hollow which sported a sign saying 'We're Always Open!' and a bunch of colored papers with different advertisements directed towards fae, though they were worded so that any human bizarre enough to stop and reading wouldn't see anything but obscure restaurant, curio shop, and clothing stores. She took off her necklace and tucked it inside her purse, stretching her wings a little bit where they emerged from the slitted back of her clothes.

It was always essential to wear something with an open back so that she didn't suffocate herself. As she walked in there was already a different feel to the joint. Melody scanned the room until she saw the reaper seated on a stool just across the way. Her eyes narrowed in suspicion but she didn't do anything seeing as nobody else was attacking. She imagined that this reaper had just waltzed in and starting complaining and moaning over all the deaths recently. She had been born just before the roaring twenties, the explosion of wonder and prosperity in the country so sure she thought these times were pretty bad, but what did the reapers expect? They should be focusing on that new drug going around, not normal citizens. Melody strutted over to a small table that could seat up to three in preparation of the rest of her 'girls' if they came. After all, sirens needed to stick together.

Cortes was just about out of eyesight of the pawn shop, when the ominous click of heels on pavement, Cortes looked to where it was coming from and he froze in awe. The most beautiful woman he'd ever seen was just walking past, he couldn't control himself, he had to talk to her, just touch her hand, anything! So Cortes was chasing after her, not getting too close as to not disturb this specimen of beauty, she was walking too... The Pawn shop?

"What the?"

Cortes' logical mind kicked back in, restraining himself from touching the beautiful woman inches in front of him. He ducked into the nearest alleyway and began quietly and stealthily observing, he watched in partial amazement as she toyed with the back of the necklace around her neck, she was almost at the dusty worn-down pawn shop, She must be a Fae! his mind screamed to him,

"And that makes the pawn shop the?"

She let the amulet fall off her neck, almost immediately wings emerged from her back and she followed to walk into the shop, my God! his brain exploded in a mixture of fear and intrigue, he began slowly creeping up to the shop,

"What is in there?"

As he reached it, he coaxed the door as if to open it, except he found no door handle, he began frantically moving his hands over the shop, trying the find an entrance, some sort of secret button or pressure plate.

"Damnit! I mustn't be able to enter!"

So he waited in the next alleyway over, just waiting, waiting for the next person to enter or exit.

((For now I'm going to do some NPC-age for Ninja's sake but I will draw up new pictures and sheets for these characters if need be))

Chime was always nervous about leaving Melody on her own. The girl always seemed so lonely and sad after she got off stage. That is, except for the few social occasions that the three songbirds shared together. She decided that things might be better for her friend if some of that social interaction happened now. "Rhythm?" she asked. The other woman hummed in response as she played with her hair. "I want to go join Melody at the hollow. Do you want to come?" Rhythm shook her head in response and Chime pursed her lips. The cardinal caught on to it and embraced her briefly. "You know I have people to meet after work. Maybe some other time."

The blackbird gathered up her things and left. Her glamor naturally turned her wings into tattoos on her back and most of her other features stayed, leaving her with a flatter cat-like nose and slightly more pronounced eyes. However, all markings on her temples, face, and shoulders were all gone. She went down the street in a simple black dress with fiery accents. She just liked her costume so well that she matched most of her wardrobe to it. She was not wearing heels. They proved impossible to walk in.

She closed in just a few minutes after Melody and stopped, seeing a man going after her, ceasing, and then checking out the storefront which hid the Hollow. Oh no! What should she do? Should she go up and try to talk to him or... No no, he seemed really suspicious about Melody going in like that so he might start bugging her about things that shouldn't be brought up by or around humans. Still, he couldn't just stand around the door and bump into the next unfortunate person leaving. Maybe she could lure him off and try to dissuade him.

She approached the man, smiling softly, trying not to scare him away. Well, of course she wouldn't scare him away but-oh bollocks to it all! "Excuse me." she called, not quite sure what else to say or whether or not she was doing this properly. Having humans watch her was about the extent of her interaction due to the fact that she liked to keep the company of fauns. She continued walking and then slowed to a halt beside Cortes "Umm..." what now? "If I may ask," she ventured cautiously. "What is so interesting?"

((Thank you, but I was fine to wait xd.png))

Cortes jumped in shock, his whole body tensing, he turned to see what was behind him, another... The awe from before was coming back, he tried resisting it this time, the words she spoke simply muffled in his ears like an angelic drone. Think Cortes! Think! He pulled himself away from the trance, his sub-conscious screeching like a child dragged away from their parent. His face contorted, looking as though he was coping with enormous pain, he took a deep breath and sighed.

"Um... H-ell-I?" Cortes spluttered hopelessly, his brain fighting the urge to fall back into trance

"I... I'm Cortes, and... I'm on the urge of a GREAT!... discovery!" Cortes assured "I have discovered the... what's it called?... um... just give me a moment." Cortes felt himself blushing as he fumbled with his pants, finding the notebook in his back pocket. Pulling it out and searching through the notes, his cheeks were hot in embarrassment, "The Hollow of the Fae!" Cortes cheered like a child, pointing to the pawn shop he said "there! right there!

He looked eagerly at the woman, hoping she would find some kind of wonderment in his intellectual prowess.

She reached up to fiddle with her hair in shame as the man fumbled for words. It was always terrible seeing this sort of thing happen. Some sirens didn't mind this since it got them their way but it was almost cruel in a sense. She closed her eyes and visualized the dial on some sort of meter dropping. It helped her tone down her influence sometimes. She opened them again and was met with this man, Cortes, looking at a notebook and telling her about the hollow. Some careless fae must have set him off at some point and sent him looking for more. She smiled at him again and looked at the Hollow. She could see both the illusion and the reality like superimposed images. "What, this old place?" she looked at the translucent sign sporting a generic 'Pawn Shop' name. "Maybe you should go home. I'll walk you there. You'll feel better after a nice cup of tea and some sleep. How about it?" she turned partially to demonstrate her willingness to 'help'.

"What? so you don't believe me?"

Cortes' mind told him that he should feel heart-broken in reflection of the previous affection towards this woman, but he only felt his usual, sealed up isolation that came with every person who doubted him,

"I can't go home, it's not safe, They took my crystal!" Cortes stammered imagining what happened next "And then a Fae obviously killed a few people, tore them to pieces maybe? or maybe he just felt like slitting all their throats?" Cortes began to retort, anger burning in his heart.

Then it struck him, if he felt the same when he was looking at that other woman, and she was a Fae, that must mean...

"Oh, God." he murmured to himself.

"Ok, sure... let's go!" He suddenly became hospitable to the now known Fae, What is she going to do to me?, he began to shiver in fear, noticing this, he acted as if he was cold.

"yeah, it's cold out isn't it? I can't go to my place, so why not take me to yours?"

do they even live in houses? his mind questioned, Maybe she'll just take me to some secluded corner and kill me the shivering got more intense.

"I'll follow you!"

She was taken aback by the sudden changes of attitude. Had she done something wrong? Was there some human faux pas that she had forgotten about? She wasn't so culturally deprived, was she? "Oh, um, yes." she stammered, turning around and then back to him. "You want to go to my house?" what was she doing? Could it hurt to show him to her house? She didn't know where he lived still but anything to keep him away from the Hollow. Other Fae had human friends so why shouldn't she show a little hospitality, right? "It's not far from here." just a few blocks away from the club and the hub to which all fae flock. But again, better at her house then pestering magical creatures who might just decide to kill him. She glanced at him unsurely and then began walking up the sidewalk towards her house.

Cortes slowly followed, always remaining 3 steps behind her, he kept a lookout for any thing that could help him to take this Fae out, picking up anything he could use. He picked up a rotten bell pepper, a worn-out elastic band, and picked up a medium sized metal pipe which he held behind his back.

"So, what are your feeling for the supernatural? As in, what affiliation do you have with ghosts, zombies, demons and Faeries?"

She shivered and giggled a bit, mostly out of the tension building in her. She was anxious about a human as it was and now that he obviously knew. The blackbird should have kept up her song. She never looked behind herself since she was mainly preoccupied with staring at her feet on the way. "I don't believe in the undead." which was true for the most part. She had never met one. Mostly just the fauns. They entered her street after several blocks of traveling and giving Cortes more time to plot. Willow avenue. She turned onto the street as if going through unfamiliar territory. "I'm just down here. Number 255."

Styles made sure that Zee was distracted before reaching behind the bar and pulling up a bottle of tequila and a glass. He poured a shot, "Oh. So the big bad Reaper doesn't know everything after all", he said with a chuckle.

Zee smiled and poured the steaming liquid into her glass, "I am not sure. Most of the time Reapers will keep their distance from other Fae. Not sure what brings this one so close", he said with a shrug. He set the teapot on the table beside him and crossed his leg over his knee, "So how is the bakery/".

Styles took his shot and checked his watch. It was almost time for the nightclubs to start letting people in and on a Friday night, options would not be a problem. He looked back up at the Reaper and shrugged, 'Not all Fae physically from humans, some just feed on energy they produce", he said.

"Ok thanks, I feel better know,"

He put out his hand for a friendly handshake,

"Thank you for helping me, I don't know what came over me, I guess you helped me see my ways. I was probably just going insane, Fae, pft, now I know they don't exist!" Cortes was drawing on the obvious sociopathy of the figure, shame to do it though...

She glanced behind herself. Now he was just scaring her and obviously going to return right to the Hollow immediately after he left her sights. The prospect of being on her way without another word was tempting. She could go home and have some nice relaxing herbal tea, lay on her bed, and calm down a bit. Chime did not want to shake his hand. She had a feeling like he was going to beat her down with his fists the entire time he was behind her and that had not alleviated. She stared at the outstretched hand for a moment. "I-I um... Okay." she backed away from him a few steps. "You just do what you want." Chime pivoted and ran off to her home, closing the door behind herself. Someone else could deal with him, but not her.

Edited by ArchiosLukos

"Wow, Time to hunt some Fae"

Cortes smirked as he realised now he had the upper hand, he walk casually over to the door, 255 the numbers were clear over the door. he pulled out the pipe, wishing he could've used it what he planned it for,

"it's a shame though, to waste such a perfectly good pipe." he said aloud, almost arrogant.

He slammed the end of the pipe into the space next to the door handle, making a slight dent in the frame, then he forced the pipe into this dent, prepped himself, and began to push on the pipe with all the force he could muster.

When the door handle snapped off, he casually opened the door, holding the rotten pepper in his hand.

"Hi there."

((sorry I forgot to mention that the pipe is bent now.))

Edited by TestingProNinja

"Why of course not. That's why there are many of us. No creature is ever perfect, after all." Twilight agreed. While most other Reapers would have grown offended and left already, she was finding Styles's opinion interesting. Another pause to take a swig from her drink. As she set it down, a scrap of darkness flew under the door, and rocketed to Twilight. It coiled around her wrist, which made the Reaper from. "It appears as if something is wrong not far from here. Excuse me as I investigate." Twilight stood and exited the Hollow, her form returning to a human's as soo as she left. Darkness pooled around her feet, and then created a line to her destination. She followed it, stopping at a house with a broken doorknob. The door was ajar, like somebody had broken in. Twilight stepped inside, only to bump into a human with a bent pipe. "Excuse me, but I don't believe breaking and entering is legal." She allowed herself to come visible suddenly, and smiled politely at Cortes.

(Shift? Ah, of course, but is my charrie accepted?)

Chime had her back to the door and sighed heavily. From deeper in the house emerged her pet Grace, a black and grey striped tabby. The cat meowed casually and began approaching her siren for obligatory pettings when entering or exiting the house. Her tail flicked back and forth but quickly stiffened along with the rest of her body as the disturbing sound of the door handle being ripped off resounded through the house. The cat hissed and the hair on her back stood on end. Chime jumped away from the door with her eyes widened as Cortes entered her home like he owned the property.

All systems went on alert. "I don't want any trouble!" she said automatically, and then a bit more bravely as she noted the pipe he was holding. "You'll regret it if you don't leave." her fists were clenched and her jaw set. That is until a reaper walked in. The blackbird fluttered away from the door and took a position behind her living room furniture. A reaper?! She hadn't done anything wrong! But it appeared as if the man standing in her doorway with a pepper and pipe in his hands was more in for it than she was.