TJ09

2013-08-04 - Two-Headed Madness

Actually I would find that very satisfying because I do this just to unwind after a day at work.

What I enjoy is breeding and gifting, but when I end up spending a month trying to hunt down enough of the new breeds to fill my scroll goals ... well it doesn't leave me much time for the part of the game that I do find satisfying. I used to get excited by new releases, but not anymore. I love the new breeds and the artwork, but I just don't find the release fun.That's just me, however, and I know that other people have different opinions of what's fun.

What Sir Barton and others said - a lot of us do this for fun, to relax and get our mind off our problems doing something recreational - and not being able to catch things doesn't serve either purpose.

The best Releases for most people, going by the thread responses, have invariably been those where most people have been able to easily catch their fill and settle back to read the thread and enjoy the process.

People who complain about its being 'too easy' are almost invariably those with fast systems, connections and reflexes, but a lot of us started and stayed here in part because even though it often wasn't at all easy for those lacking any or all of them, it didn't absolutely demand resources we didn't have in the manner so many other games do...

Edit: Skauble, as usual, you have a great point, but people do want to be able to *catch* their own eggs, and simply Dropping various eggs more in accordance with demand would fix that.

That wouldn't break the game, as many people continue to want to catch more lovely newly Released sprites even after catching their fill several times over, as we've seen occur in past Drops, and there's certainly enough variety in dragon types now to run regular Drops with multiple types without packing in tons of whatever commons people already have enough of, which simply blocks hunting and makes it boring.

Hunting through a variety of eggs and seeing different dragons that different people want keeps things moving and makes things fun - refreshing on/loading up on unwanted eggs is, quite simply, boring.

Edited by Syphoneira

What Sir Barton and others said - a lot of us do this for fun, to relax and get our mind off our problems doing something recreational - and not being able to catch things doesn't serve either purpose.

The best Releases for most people, going by the thread responses, have invariably been those where most people have been able to easily catch their fill and settle back to read the thread and enjoy the process.

People who complain about its being 'too easy' are almost invariably those with fast systems, connections and reflexes, but a lot of us started and stayed here in part because even though it often wasn't at all easy for those lacking any or all of them, it didn't absolutely demand resources we didn't have in the manner so many other games do...

Fast System, Check

Good connection, Check

Fast Reflexes, Nope

Edited by Crockturtle566

The only wish I had was that during the regular times of the month, the eggs in the cave continued to scroll by regardless of whether they were picked up or not so that if nobody wants them, the same three eggs don't just sit there forever in each biome and never move, effectively keeping any of the eggs behind it from scrolling by. New releases are fun for me because even for the first couple of days...the eggs are constantly moving, new or old.

Actually I would find that very satisfying because I do this just to unwind after a day at work.

What I enjoy is breeding and gifting, but when I end up spending a month trying to hunt down enough of the new breeds to fill my scroll goals ... well it doesn't leave me much time for the part of the game that I do find satisfying. I used to get excited by new releases, but not anymore. I love the new breeds and the artwork, but I just don't find the release fun.That's just me, however, and I know that other people have different opinions of what's fun.

You speak out what I think really now. In the last months I have again lost the fun in playing Dragon Cave, especially this and the last time.

I remember the days, when new drops really came in a flood on the first day and much more frequently in the first week. By this year it has somehow changed.

I am one of these who hae a very slow connection and no so good reflexes. I just managed to get one of the undecided, but one of the opalescent - no. Just others said - the last day, I spent clicking and hunting, only with misclicks and no sucess. I went to bed frustrated, and right now, I am near to quit the game - not the first time in this year.

I wish, that there were more frequent drops in the first day, so that everyone can have his or her fun, not only the ones with fast connections and so.

It is no more a game for me, its a frustrating competition with no sense.

Soooo...... for those of us who've been trying for HOURS with no luck to get one of these new ones... WHY IS THIS DROP SO MUCH HARDER THAN THE LAST ONE WHERE EVERYONE HAD A FAIR CHANCE?!

Also, all of you out there taking seven of these new ones or whatever (saw someone who had one set like that) please BACK OFF and let the others have a chance at EVEN JUST ONE! I shouldn't have to keep trying for FIVE hours straight with a decent internet connection just to get one of each dragon! (I have two of the undecided because I misclicked and can't abandon/trade to someone who NEEDS one yet!)

Not everyone can be a winner and it's true not everyone quite has a fair chance. But that's how life is, as unfortunate as it is. The sooner you learn that, the better off you'll be in life, no use whining about it.

Underlined by me for emphasis.

No new common dragons, you say? What about Bloodmoons, Fleshcrownes, Seragammas, Black Tips, Hellhorses, Black Teas, Black Caps. And those are only from the last two releases.

Even if we DID have lots of new common dragons, such as the ones stated above, sooner or later, people will complain that they were too common and they will turn into caveblockers.

I actually still have a hard time catching those. I just barely got my second Bloodmoon a few days ago. I have a hard time finding the other ones too. But that could just be me :T I still think this was one of the worst releases. At least it was for me.

I'm not so angry that I want to quit the game entirely, but I am most certainly frustrated. There's nothing else I can really threaten with- I want these eggs, so I'll play the game to get them, but I'm very cross with it. I only recently got shimmers and tinsels for what reason? Because I didn't win a stupid raffle (For the record, to the lovely people who gifted my shimmers and traded with me for my tinsels, thank you very much) ? Now I can't get a hand in this release because I've got bad reflexes and an only halfway decent connection? I'm not saying I'm going to quit, because I enjoy the cave, but I'm very cross.

I caught two Undecideds, thankfully, so I don't want to catch any more because it's against my personal code. I just need two Opals. Hopefully of each color. If I can't get one of each color, then I'll settle for just breeding and swapping a second-generation. I'm not picky, I'm not unreasonable- I'm just a little upset is all.

EDIT: Just as I write 'halfway decent', my internet decides to throw a tantrum for a few minutes.

Edited by Luckyclaw

The only wish I had was that during the regular times of the month, the eggs in the cave continued to scroll by regardless of whether they were picked up or not so that if nobody wants them, the same three eggs don't just sit there forever in each biome and never move, effectively keeping any of the eggs behind it from scrolling by. New releases are fun for me because even for the first couple of days...the eggs are constantly moving, new or old.

Check this thread: http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=151625

Not everyone can be a winner and it's true not everyone quite has a fair chance. But that's how life is, as unfortunate as it is. The sooner you learn that, the better off you'll be in life, no use whining about it.

Well, I suppose a lot depends whether TJ wants to keep DC as a family site that appeals to a wide range of people, and even to those who usually don't really play games much, or essentially restrict it to those relative and shrinking few who can afford better systems which are faster than those most people can afford.

If his advertising revenue matters, he might want to consider such issues.

While I don't agree with Persona3's post in general, I find it pointless to belittle people who voice their displeasure by claiming that they are whining. It's rude and counterproductive because it doesn't address their concerns. Frankly, there are problems with the current situation and brushing off a complaint with the attitude of "life aint fair so suck it up" doesn't solve anything.

*pet peeve*

Edited by Sir Barton

"That's how life is" is kind of a stupid response to a problem that only occurs because the cave doesn't move. I can guarantee that if the cave actually moved uncommons like Blusangs and Coppers wouldn't be nigh-impossible to find, and commons would be easier to grab much more quickly after they were released.

Of course, the caves DON'T move, so the playerbase suffers.

Reminder:

~Attack the topic not each other.~

Thank you for directing me to that! I don't spend much time here so I wasn't even aware this was a discussion topic. smile.gif

And to get back onto the topic here...I get a feeling this are going to make interesting lineages with the older two-headed dragons!

Depending on how the lovely Opale hatchies turn out as adults, I might just want a lineage with green and blue opale adults. .___.

Gee, I didn't know this game was about winning?

I thought it was about collecting unsure.gifblink.gif

With the drops this way, that is becoming nigh on impossible. This is not real life , it's pixel life. It's supposed to be an escape.

I am only needing one green opal and thankfully I will be done since I don't breed Two- heads. The fact that it took two days of late nights and way too much time waiting for hourly drops has been frustrating. I think I will just be short one- I gave up on the coppers , this will be easier.

The fact that we are giving up could be a bad thing for this game in the long run.

refreshing on/loading up on unwanted eggs is, quite simply, boring.

Well, Syphoneira, I think maybe one can try some other fun things such as naming, describing, read others' descriptions.

I don't have a fast reflex and my computer is slow but I never considered complaining about not having enough rares. I have over 400 dragons, with only 4 gold, 2 silver, zero copper, none are CB. 2 tinsel and 4 shimmer (almost all of those are gifts from scroll-rich friends, thank TJ for letting us have teleport! And a big thank you to all my friends who gifted me dragons!) But I am quite content and enjoy in hoarding commons and uncommons, sometimes wracking my brains for a name, reading others' descriptions, frequenting the forum.

I just thought that complaining about not having rares isn't going to give me rares anyway.

Edited by love_HP

I'm happy to see more 2-headed dragons. It'll be interesting to see what sort of lineage patterns crop up with this: there are more choices now.

Yes, catching the new releases can be tough, but it's only been a day. For people having trouble with connections—maybe try a different browser? I had a lot of trouble catching eggs in FireFox, but on the same system I've had much better luck using Safari. (I know that won't help /everyone/, but maybe it will help someone.)

Well, I suppose a lot depends whether TJ wants to keep DC as a family site that appeals to a wide range of people, and even to those who usually don't really play games much, or essentially restrict it to those relative and shrinking few who can afford better systems which are faster than those most people can afford.

If his advertising revenue matters, he might want to consider such issues.

Well let me tell you something; TJ doesn't care. He's not going to change the entire game's mechanic just because a couple of people, including myself by the way, don't have decent enough internet connection to catch every egg that pops up. Hell, people who have faster connection can't catch everything. You win some, you lose some.

Like I said, not everyone can be a winner. You have to suck it up and lose sometimes, that's the way life is.

Well, Syphoneira, I think maybe one can try some other fun things such as naming, describing, read others' descriptions.

I don't have a fast reflex and my computer is slow but I never considered complaining about not having enough rares. I have over 400 dragons, with only 4 gold, 2 silver, zero copper, none are CB. 2 tinsel and 4 shimmer (almost all of those are gifts from scroll-rich friends, thank TJ for letting us have teleport! And a big thank you to all my friends who gifted me dragons!) But I am quite content and enjoy in hoarding commons and uncommons, sometimes wracking my brains for a name, reading others' descriptions, frequenting the forum.

I just thought that complaining about not having rares aren't going to give me rares anyway.

Hi, love_HP,

thanks for the advice, but I came here to collect and raise the dragons I wanted, and have done a great deal of breeding (although the results of breeding generally suck as well as typically does hunting) and gifting, things that I'm into, unlike descriptions, which are OK, but not my thing.

I was an addict here for years, and like a number of other long-time addicts, (not all of whom come out and say so, for fear of being jumped on/insulted by being called whiners for speaking their feelings,) I've been steadily losing interest in the site, due to lousy hunting and breeding.

I was just on for a 5-minute Drop where all biomes were plugged up with Blocker breeds - most people don't find this amusing, and there weren't that many on most biomes.

I'm not, btw, complaining about not having 'rares' - if you take a look at my scroll, you'll see that I do have some and if you have a look at my start date, you'll see that I've put a lot of time into getting them.

I'm commenting on the fact that we usually CAN'T PLAY because the game is set up in a fashion that too-often prevents people from hunting, because, despite the AP fix, the Cave is chronically Blocked with unwanted dragons, and that it's darned near impossible for a high proportion of people to catch the new dragons they want during Releases.

A lot of people would be happy to find various dragons which are not 'rares', but they don't want to keep accumulating dragons they either never wanted in the first place or already have enough of.

And a lot of us who once spent most of whatever time we could on this site are having a sad because our addiction is going away, lol.

To everyone: opals are an uncommon breed like the trios, blacks, GW's, etc, so they will be harder to find than say, Greys, Albinos and other uber-commons.

And don't worry. ratios will sort themselves out in time and everyone will have a chance to catch at least one. smile.gif

I just thought that complaining about not having rares isn't going to give me rares anyway.

I don't see her complaining about not enough rares. It appears to me that she is making a statement about a need to find a solution to the stagnant cave issue that has been an on going problem for years. You would think that we would have come up with some sort of a solution for that by now. The user base has been trying various things to over come blocking as is evident by the numerous cave clearing projects, but we just whittle away at a continually growing mountain. Since we can't fix it, it makes sense that it's time for TJ to do some tweaking with the programing to better match demands. That doesn't mean that we need more metals or anything of that nature. It means that there needs to be some sort of better balance in place that will allow for a more successful flow of desirable mixed species.

While I never personally liked the idea, maybe we do need to have the breeds become "migratory" so that they rotate through their given biome seasonally thereby increasing demand for current blocker breeds by limiting their availability.

I don't have a solution to make the cave cycle more effectively, but we do need one. Part of the new release problems comes from people trying to catch all they can on that first day because they fear that they will never see the new breed again once it becomes buried by blockers.

Edit: Thanks for the heads up, earthgirl. They're beautiful and will be well worth the hunt.

Edited by Sir Barton

I don't see her complaining about not enough rares. It appears to me that she is making a statement about a need to find a solution to the stagnant cave issue that has been an on going problem for years. You would think that we would have come up with some sort of a solution for that by now. The user base has been trying various things to over come blocking as is evident by the numerous cave clearing projects, but we just whittle away at a continually growing mountain. Since we can't fix it, it makes sense that it's time for TJ to do some tweaking with the programing to better match demands. That doesn't mean that we need more metals or anything of that nature. It means that there needs to be some sort of better balance in place that will allow for a more successful flow of desirable mixed species.

While I never personally liked the idea, maybe we do need to have the breeds become "migratory" so that they rotate through their given biome seasonally thereby increasing demand on blocker breeds.

I don't have a solution to make the cave cycle more effectively, but we do need one. Part of the new release problems comes from people trying to catch all they can on that first day because they fear that they will never see the new breed again once it becomes buried by blockers.

I was just saying that in general. Not targeting.

I do agree with you on the cave issue; I think it is a very serious problem, it's just that I don't believe there's a solution to the root of it. I always thought TJ makes the game in however way he wants it to be, and we discussing it here isn't making a difference anyway. (I know I sound too negative dry.gif )

While I never personally liked the idea, maybe we do need to have the breeds become "migratory" so that they rotate through their given biome seasonally thereby increasing demand on blocker breeds.

If TJ created a solution to this "problem", it would be a fatal mistake on his part. Why? Because having blockers adds some small degree of challenge to a rather dull game. Take that away, and suddenly the game becomes easier. If the game becomes easier, people will lose interest in it faster than they already do. You can argue that you can keep yourself busy with other various activities, mostly in the form of making lineages. But as "entertaining" as they are, they are just not enough to hold one's interest for very long. There are descriptions, but not everyone is a writer. There is collecting, but like lineages, it gets old fast.

So making it easier to obtain all of the precious pixels is not going to solve anything or make players stay longer. If anything, they'll leave at a quicker rate once they've done everything.

To everyone: opals are an uncommon breed like the trios, blacks, GW's, etc, so they will be harder to find than say, Greys, Albinos and other uber-commons.

And don't worry. ratios will sort themselves out in time and everyone will have a chance to catch at least one. smile.gif

Thanks for the info, Earthgirl. And your time spent designing the sprites. They look great by the way; can't wait to see the adults. smile.gif