BookChallenge

250 Book Challenge 2013-2014

Book Number: 1

Number Of Pages: 466

Book Title: Incubus (#1 in The Fairwick Chronicles)

Author: Carol Goodman

Summary: Ever since moving to Fairwick to take up a teaching post at the local college, Callie has been having vivid, erotic dreams about a man made out of moonlight and shadows. dreams she begins to fear as well as anticipate...

She learns that her home - a Victorian cottage at the edge of a wood - is supposedly haunted. And then her new - and rather strange - colleagues tell her a local legend about an incubus demon with a human past who was enchanted by a fairy queen...

Rating: 7.5/10

Review: I bought this on sale on Amazon, and I admit I wasn't expecting much. I was quite pleasantly surprised though. Apart from the unconvincing boyfriend Callie has to begin with, it had more plot than I'd expected. Throw in a 'romance' with an incubus, plus Callie's odd colleagues and it becomes quite a fun read - if a little lightweight. I was glad I'd ordered the second in the series at the same time.

Book Number: 2

Number Of Pages: 339

Book Title: Water Witch (#2 in The Fairwick Chronicles)

Author: Carol Goodman

Summary: Seduced by a powerful incubus demon, Callie has succeeded in banishing him to the Borderlands, but he still haunts her dreams, tempting her with the knowledge of how to bring him back.

But loving an incubus usually ends in death for a human. For her own sake, Callie must learn to control her desires and ensure he remains trapped for all eternity in his watery prison.

Only there is a more dangerous creature than an incubus in the Borderlands - and it's also looking for a way back...

Rating: 8/10

Review: Expanding and continuing on from 'Incubus', 'Water Witch' is an enjoyable read. Callie's heritage is explored more in this book, and character development (for existing and newly introduced) is pretty decent. I won't go into details about the plot, but I'm definitely looking forward to when the final book in the trilogy is published.

Sign me up~

I needed a kick in the butt to start reading books and this is the perfect place to start. <3

Book Number:7

Number Of Pages:259

Book Title:Changeless

Author:Gail Carriger

Summary:This book is the second book in a series about Alexia Tarabotti, a preternatural, a curse-breaker, who lives in an alternate Victorian England, which is populated by vampires and werewolves and other supernatural creatures, in addition to ordinary humans. In this particular book, the werewolves and vampires are threatened by some sort of spell or poison which is turning them back into ordinary humans, and most of them don't like it. Alexia is charged with finding out what is wrong.

Number Of Pages: 383

Book Title: The Black Gryphon

Author: Mercedies Lackey

Summary: In a kingdom torn apart by war between Mages and Magical beasts, this is the tale of those who live and work in the camp of the Mage of Silence. Having been forced into to war by trickery and deceit Urtho, the mage of Silence, is not the stronest comander or the most thoughtful stratigical mind, but he is powerful and commands the respect and loyalty of the people after the king dies.

The tale centers on the lives of the Black Gryphon, Skandrannon, and his best friend Amberdrake, who is an unconventional healer. It tells of the day to day lives in the war camp, the horrors the healer must see and help others survive through, the fight of the gryphons to get the human commanders to treat them as people and not just "smart animals". With all the tragedy and hatred of war can can one stay sane, love, have a family, be more than just a tool?

Rating: 7/10

Review: I have read a few books by Lackey before, and have always enjoyed them. This is one of her eairler books, taking place about 2,000 before her main storyline of the Kingdom of Valdamar. You could tell it was an early tale, as the language was a bit rough in some places, but as writers get more experianced their work is polished and well you can't hold their foundation against them. It was a really good story, and I can't wait to start the next book in the trilogy.

Book Number: 15

Number Of Pages: 186

Book Title: The Young Adventurers #5: The Riddle of the Hidden Treasure

Author: Enid Blyton

Summary: Katie, Nick, and Laura go to live with Laura's grandparents in their beautiful manor for the holidays. Soon, they learn of the Greyling Treasure, which has been lost for many years. The children immediately set about hunting for it, determined to find it but they realise that others - dangerous men - are looking for the treasure as well. Can the children beat them to it?

Rating: -

Review: -

Book Number: 16

Number Of Pages: 242

Book Title: The Young Adventurers #6: The Riddle of the Boy Next Door

Summary: When a family moves in to the house next door, Nick, Katie, and Laura are excited. However, they soon find out that there is something funny about the boy next door. Upon finding out who he really is, the three find themselves plunged in a most exciting adventure.

Book Number: 17

Number Of Pages: 282

Book Title: The Inner Knight

Author: Gary Theodoric

Summary: Happie is just an ordinary schoolboy, just like any other - until one day. He discovers that life could be more than what it usually seemed to be and with the help of two elves and a genie, he sets on a journey to find his Inner Knight.

Book Number: 18

Number Of Pages: 137

Book Title: A Christmas Carol

Author: Adapted by James Ponti, based on the screenplay and book by Robert Zemeckis and Charles Dickens respectively

Summary: Ebenezer Scrooge has a heart colder than ice and darker than the night. However, when the ghost of his former partner, Jacob Marley, warns him of the ill fate that awaits him, can three visits from the ghosts of Christmas warm his heart and change his ways?

Edited by Dream_Dragon

Book Number: 6

Number Of Pages: 417

Book Title: Creepers

Author: David Morrell

Summary: Creepers are a group of urban explorers.A group of 5 enters the Paragon hotel in Ashbury Park.Not only do they meet a group of thieves, who are after a mafia boss'es hidden treasure, but they also run into a psychotic kidnapper and killer, who has made the hotel his residence, setting up a maze of deadly traps.

Rating: (optional)5/5

Review: (optional)

Book Number:9

Number Of Pages:351

Book Title:The Hobbit

Author:J. R.R Tolkien

Summary:Bilbo Baggins is whisked away from his cozy hobbit hole to help a band of dwarves steal precious items back from Smaug the Magnificent's lair within the Lonely Mountain.

Number Of Pages: 262

Book Title: Pawn of Prophecy, Book One of the Belgariad

Author: David Eddings

Summary: A farmboy called Garion is pulled into an adventure alongside his aunt Polgara, best friend Durnik, an old storyteller named Mister Wolf and a cast of other assorted characters. As he finds out the true identities of Aunt Pol and Mister Wolf, he realizes he's been kept in the dark about some very important matters all his life. Everyone he travels with turns out to be more than meets the eye.

Rating: 9/10

Review: David Eddings is my favorite author - I love all his books and started with the fifth book of the Malloreon 13 years ago. I took up Pawn of Prophecy after that and have been re-reading it ever since - however, this is my first time reading it in English. Dave's witty humor is really very endearing... think I'll take up the second volume next.

Book Number 1

Number of pages 208

Book Title: The Amityville Curse

Book Author Hanz Holzer

Summary: Some friends move into a haunted house they don't really believe the tales told about the place, but soon strange things begin to happen.

Book Number 2

Number of Pages 344

Book title The Long Earth

Book Author Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter

Summary: It has been found out that there are numerous parallel Earths and all one has to do is step from one to the other. Now a sentient machine called Lobsang and a natural stepper go to explore the many Earths.

Book Number3

Number of Pages. 371

Book Title Paranormal State

Book Author Ryan Buell

Summary: The star of Paranormal State TV series writes about some of the events he has dealt with dealing with ghost/demon/spirits.

Book Number4

Number of Pages 216

Book title Flawed Dogs

Book authorBerkeley Breathed

Summary: A dachshund and a young girl become friends, but a poodle is jealous and gets the dachshund sent from the home and into hard times, now the dachsie wants revenge on the poodle.

Book Number 5

Number of Pages223

Book title Lord of the Flies

Book Author William Golding

Summary: Some school children land on a deserted island and in spite of them trying to set rules and work towards rescue they slide into chaos.

Book Number6 * RE-READ*

Number of Pages 313

Book title Being a Green Mother

Book Author Piers Anthony

Summary: Orb searches for the Llano a song that has magical/mystical powers on her search she becomes the Incarnation of Mother Nature and falls in love with Satan.

Book Number7

Number of Pages 317

Book title Kidnapped

Book Author Robert Louis Stevenson

Summary: David is heir to a fortune though he doesn't know it. He is kidnapped and taken to sea having many wild and dangerous adventures.

Book Number 8

Number of Pages358

Book title Before I go to Sleep

Book Author S. J Watson

Summary: Christine has amnesia every morning she wakes to her husband who is a stranger. As she tries to unravel her past and get her memories back, she learns some mysterious things about her husband.

Book Number 9 * REREAD*

Number of Pages 485

Book title City of Bones - the Mortal Instruments.

Book Author Cassandra Clare

Summary: Clary Fray is able to see things others can not - Shadowhunters who hunt and kill demons. Demons capture her mother and Clary must help the Shadowhunters find the Mortal Cup.

Book Number 10

Number of Pages: 453

Book title City of Ashes- The Mortal Instruments

Book author Cassandra Clare

Summary: Clary is trying to get an ordinary life, Jace must face the Clave's Inquisitor and Valentine is after the sword and reverse it's power. Jace and Clary must work together to defeat Valentine and his demons.

Book Number: 3

Number Of Pages: 348

Book Title: 20000 leages under the sea

Author: Jules Verne

Summary: In the year 1866, a mysterious sea monster terrorises the seas, sinking several ships. To hunt down the beast, an expedition is formed, and one of the members is the professor and scientist Pierre Aronnax. Together with his butler, and a friend, he ends up in the Nautilus, the 'beast' they were hunting. From there on, they discover the wonderous oceans and have great adventures!

Rating: 3/5

Review: I found it a bit boring. The hype around this book marks it as a 'must-read'... it's enjoyable, true, especially if you take into account that it's written in 1970. And the descriptions of the under water world are nice. But still...

Book Number: 4

Number Of Pages: 302

Book Title: Het Achterhuis - Dagboekbrieven (The backhouse - Diaryletters)

Author: Anne Frank

Summary: This is a true story about 8 Jews who find shelter in a Dutch house. They shelter for more then 2 years. This book is made out of the journals of Anne Frank, a 12-year old Jewish girl. This is a completely true and shocking review of the events that the Jews endured during WWII

Anne Frank is one of the many, many Jews that have been prosecuted by Hitler. Together with her older sister, her parents, a befriended couple and their son, and another adult male friend of the families, they hide out in a back house of a factory.

With 8 people, they live in a 4 room appartment for 2 years. The entrance door is hidden with a revolving closet.

They can never go outside. During the day, they can't move or walk around, in case somebody down in the factory might hear them. They can't use the toilet during the day. The windows are always darkened and never ever open. They can't even look outside. They get food from the few good samaritans that have put them up there. But it's war, so the food isn't much. Beans, for 6 weeks at a time, for every meal, happens often. Clothes no longer fit but there is no money to buy new clothes.

Anne spends her time studying the books the outsiders bring for them. She also writes in her diary. She writes about everything, even about the thoughts she has about her body etc. She describes the situation they are in, every day again. The fights that 8 people in a small place have, every single day. Never making a noise. Always scared. Almost getting a heartattack whenever someone strange gets near the closet and gets near discovering them up there.

Anne and her entire family, except her dad, died in the concentration camps. Her dad made her wish come true and made her diaries into a book that was published and spread all over the world. It's become an incredible story about the life of a Jew, under the raign of Hitler.

Rating: 10/5 (yes, 10/5)

Review: One word: heartbreaking.

Edited by snoesiepoes

Number Of Pages: 198

Book Title: Bumpy Roads - A Mary O'Reilly Paranormal Mystery (Book 11)

Author: Terri Reid

Summary: Mary O'Reilly is trying to solve the case of a girl who went missing from a park eight years ago while also attempting to adjust to changes at home.

Rating: 7/10

Review: The stories are still good, but at this point in the series, much of it is getting to be predictable.

Edited by IvoryDragon432

Book Number: 11

Number Of Pages: 333

Book Title: Gakkou wo Deyou!

Author: Tanikawa Nagaru

Summary: Takasaki Yoshiyuki is a normal teenager stuck in the EMP school, which is filled with other kids who've developed supernatural powers. Yoshiyuki has no powers of his own, but he does have a sister who died and is now haunting him, which is enough to qualify him for (involuntary) admission. It's common in EMP schools for Sounentai to appear and cause trouble -- there are even students assigned to a special brigade to get rid of them. But when Sounentai start appearing outside of the school and troubling the normal people outside, Yoshiyuki is sent to investigate.

Rating: 2.5

Review: I just couldn't get into this book. The setting is one I usually enjoy, but I didn't find Yoshiyuki and Haruna's interactions compelling, and most of the book seemed to revolve around navel gazing and Yoshiyuki walking around looking at disaster sites. I didn't feel like there was an actual, real conflict until the last 50 pages of the book, and while that was interesting, even there the action seemed too dragged out to engage me. The language was somewhat difficult for me as a non-native-speaker, so it could be that difficulty barred my enjoyment, but I can't see myself picking up the next book in the series.

Book Number:8

Number Of Pages:426

Book Title:The Rope Dancer

Author:Roberta Gellis

Summary:Carys is a rope dancer -- a highly skilled high wire artist -- in medieval England. When her entire troop of jugglers and acrobats is killed, she faces a life of hardship and possibly being forced to turn to prostitution to survive. Then she meets Telor and his friend, Deri the Dwarf, and together they begin to form a new troop, even better than the one she lost.

Rating: (optional)

Review: (optional)This is one of my favourite Roberta Gellis historical romances. Carys is an entrancing heroine and the details of the lives of medieval entertainers is fascinating.

censorkip.gifcensorkip.gif*

Book Number:9

Number Of Pages:262

Book Title:Blameless

Author:Gail Carriger

Summary:Part three of a series of fantasy novels about Alexia Tarabotti, a preternatural curse breaker. In this book, Alexia is accused of unfaithfulness by her husband, and in her attempts to prove him wrong and make him grovel, she ends up in the hands of the Templars and an evil scientist hellbent on using her for experiments, including vivisection.

Edited by Jennie

Sign me up please, I can read 250 books in a month if I get locked in a library. >:3 Which, means I will die of hunger, sleep, and water. But you get what I'm saying, right?

Sign me in please

I'm planning to read a bit more now (thought most book I'm reading are french...)

Book Number: 24

Number Of Pages: 349

Book Title: Magic’s Pawn

Author: Mercedes Lackey

Summary: 16 year old Vanyel doesn’t fit in with his father’s ideas of how his heir Should Be, so he is sent to his aunt, Herald-Mage Savil, in Haven, the capital of Valdemar. While there, Vanyel falls in love with one of Savil’s trainees, Tylendel. But when Tylendel’s twin brother is murdered, Vanyel agrees to help his beloved get revenge on the perpetrators, starting a chain of events that leave him bereft of his love, but awaken his own latent powers of magic.

Book Number: 25

Number Of Pages: 320

Book Title: Magic’s Promise

Summary: Herald-Mage Vanyel, the most powerful Herald in all Valdemar, had just come off a yearlong stint on the embattled Karsite border. Exhausted both mentally and physically, he’s in desperate need of a rest… one he’s not entirely sure he’ll get in his family’s home. When his mother isn’t flinging girls at him in an effort to “cure” his preferences, his father is dragging him into the middle of his conflicts with his brother. As if that weren’t enough, there is trouble brewing just over the western border near the family’s keep. To ice the cake, Vanyel is worried about his King and friend, who appears to be seriously ill… to the point that the King and his beloved asked Vanyel to give the lady a child when he proved sterile, as at the time there was the potential for him to make an alliance-marriage. And when the situation on the western border heats up, danger reaches deep into Valdemar.

Book Number: 26

Number Of Pages: 336

Book Title: Magic’s Price

Summary: Vanyel is at his wits’ end. The King is dying by inches, and with the wars that have been raging for years, there are too few mages left among the Heralds… yet most of Valdemar has a perception that a Herald without the mage-gift is somehow less than a Herald-Mage. Then he meets a young bard named Stefen, whose wild talent for singing pain away enables the King to function when he needs to without leaving him muddled from medication. But even as Vanyel and Stefen fall in love, they discover that the Herald-Mages are being assassinated, until Vanyel is the only one left. The couple leave Haven to track down the source, only to discover a mage-controlled army marching on Valdemar from the north, the one direction that no one expected a threat to come from… and they have to buy time for the Army of Valdemar to rally to the defense.

Book Number: 27

Number Of Pages: 255

Book Title: Raising My Rainbow

Author: Lori Duron

Summary: Nonfiction. Written by the author of the blog with the same title, this is the story of the Duron family, whose second son CJ is, in his own words, “a boy who only likes girl things, and likes to be treated like a girl.” It traces the adjustments the entire family made, from the moment a 2-1/2 year old CJ found an old Barbie doll and went into raptures that no Legos, toy cars, or other stereotypical “boy toys” ever caused, through the difficulties of the older son being targeted by bullies due to his (then 4 year old) brother’s perceived “gayness” and the steps they’re taking to try to prepare for the future. Lori admits that she and her husband were uncomfortable at first with CJ’s “gender creativity” but decided that as parents, their job was to love their children and not try to change them, and so they’ve done their best to prove to both their sons that Mom and Dad have their backs no matter what.

Aw man, I'm a month late! =( Oh well. I've been sorely disappointed with my lack of reading anything lately, so I'll join with 50 books as my goal. That cool with you lot?

Book Number:1

Number Of Pages:330

Book Title: Les 5 Dermiers Dragons: La cité de Glace (The last 5 dragons, The Ice city) Volume 6

Author: Danielle Dumais

Summary: While they're searching for the ether dragon, the last one of their quest to find the 5 dragons (fire, earth, wind, water and ether), they reach the the city they had a suprise because someone else was after the dragon. That person wanted the dragon's blood to be able to reach immortality and eternal beauty. The fight start between the knights and the man for who will have that dragon.

Edited by Little-Star

Book Number: 2!

Number Of Pages: 614

Book Title: The Iliad (I sure hope Epic Poems count)

Author: Homer I, translated by Robert Fagles

Summary: While this book is a story of the Trojan war, the true conflict arrises because Achilles and Agamemnon get into a fight. Agamemnon is forced to return one of his (female) prizes, and thus gets very mad, and demands for Achilles to give Agamemnon Briseis, Achilles' (female) prize. Because of this, Achilles refuses to fight. The story of the war ensues, and Achilles joins back in after his good friend Patroclus is killed. And the rest is all history (literally).

Bleh I'm so behind. My goal is 50 books.

Sign me up! It's my exam year so I'll keep the goal a nice 50.

Book Number: 12

Number Of Pages: 342

Book Title: The Wizard of London

Summary: Isabelle and Frederick Harton run a school for the children of expatriates, particularly those with special gifts: the Talented. Into their hands comes Sarah, a powerful medium, and Nan, a psychometrist. Under Isabelle's guidance, the two of them begin to learn the full extent of their abilities. Meanwhile, David Alderscroft, an Elemental Master of Fire, is stretching his fingers into the political realm while the dullness of his daily life torments him. Their paths cross when an Elemental is used to try and kill Sarah and Nan.

Rating: 4.5

Book Number: 7

Number Of Pages: 252

Book Title: Krabat

Author: Otfried Preußler

Summary: 14 year old boy, named Krabat, gets work at a mill, where the master teaches his apprentices not only how to grind flour, but also the darkest of magic.But once a year one of the apprenteces has to die.Only the love to a girl can save Krabat.

Rating: (optional) 5/5

Book Number: 8

Number Of Pages: 627

Book Title: der Medicus (orig.:The Physician)

Author: noah Gordon

Summary:In the 11th century, Rob Cole isn't satisfied with what he could learn about healing in England, so he travels to Isfahan/Persia to learn all, what is forbidden as a christ, by saying he's jewish.

Rating: (optional) 4/5

Book Number: 9

Number Of Pages: 200

Book Title: Balzac und die kleine chinesische Schneiderin (orig.:Balzac et la petit tailleuse chinoise)

Author: Dai Sijie

Summary: The first person narrator and his compaignon Luo are send to a remoted village for reeducation during the chinese cultural revolution.To outlast this live, the take refugee to the forbidden books of Balzac, which they're able to steal.Retelling the stories, they even warm up the heart of the tailor's daughter.

Rating: (optional) 5/5

Edited by milkaq66

Book Number: 19

Number Of Pages: 169

Book Title: First Term At Malory Towers

Summary: Darrell heads off to boarding school for the first time, eager to shine and make new friends. While things may not be smooth all the time, Malory Towers quickly becomes a second home to her.

Book Number: 20

Book Title: Second Form At Malory Towers

Summary: Darrell is back at boarding school and this time, she's moved up to the second form! It's another term full of fun, friendship, and drama.

Book Number: 21

Number Of Pages: 178

Book Title: Third Year At Malory Towers

Summary: Darrell's at Malory Towers again and this time, she has high hopes of making it into the lacrosse team.

Book Number: 22

Book Title: Upper Fourth At Malory Towers

Summary: Darrell is in the upper fourth this year and her little sister comes along with her to Malory Towers for the first time. Can she keep her away from the irrepressible June?

Book Number: 23

Book Title: In The Fifth At Malory Towers

Summary: Darrell is certainly one of the seniors this year! After a term full of hard work, this term, the girls look forward to producing their own Christmas play.

Book Number: 24

Number Of Pages: 170

Book Title: Last Term At Malory Towers

Summary: Darrell's been made head-girl of the school but it's also her last term there. She makes the most of it while she can.

Book Number: 25

Number Of Pages: 152

Book Title: The Real Singapore Cinderella & Other Short Stories

Author: Jemima Rejan

Summary: It's Cinderella all over again - and this time, she has a brand new modern Singapore makeover.

Book Number: 26

Number Of Pages: 234

Book Title: Family Adventures: The Children At Green Meadows

Summary: Three children, a mother, a father, and a granny is a big family, and Sam, Clare, and Francis know that. They just manage to get by in life but when they hear that pet animals aren't allowed in the new flats that have just been built, a lot of unexpected things begin to happen.

Book Number: 27

Number Of Pages: 217

Book Title: Family Adventures: Those Dreadful Children

Summary: When the Taggerty family move in next door, Annette, Marian, and John refuse to have anything to do with the three rowdy, rough children. But not before long, they soon realise that they have more in common than they thought...

Book Number: 28

Number Of Pages: 265

Book Title: Family Adventures: House at the Corner

Summary: Aunt Grace comes to stay with the Farells and only Lizzie bothers to show up and meet her. The rest are either busy, too spoilt, or, in Tony's case, making mischief and causing trouble. However, when disaster strikes, the children realise that they have to pull together and learns the true meaning of a united family.

Book Number: 29

Number Of Pages: 217

Book Title: Family Adventures: The Six Bad Boys

Summary: Three friends from different families live next door to each other and go to the same school. When two of the boys join a gang that meets in a cellar under a derelict house, they soon find that trouble isn't far behind...

Book Number: 30

Number Of Pages: 280

Book Title: Dream of Night

Author: Heather Henson

Summary: Jessalynn DiLima sure has her hands full, what with one temporary foster girl staying with her, tough as nails and angry at the world, and one fierce, distrusting horse, a Thoroughbred, and both hurt and abused. But there is some connection between the two, although they have never met, and gradually, things fall into place.

Edited by Dream_Dragon

Book Number: 28

Number Of Pages: 433

Book Title: The Fire Rose

Summary: Rosalind Hawkins had her life planned out. As a scholar of medieval history, she intended to make a name for herself in academia despite being handicapped by her gender. But when her father died suddenly after losing the family fortune in a series of bad investments, Rosalind was forced to accept a position as a governess in San Francisco. But when she arrived, she learned that this was no ordinary job. Instead of teaching children, she was required to read an assortment of ancient manuscripts to her reclusive employer via a speaking tube. For Jason Cameron was an Elemental Mage, disfigured through a ritual gone wrong, and trying desperately to restore his body to its former state. As she gains respect and admiration for the man, Rosalind learns to tap into her own Elemental Mage abilities in order to help him. But he has an enemy, who cares little for the havoc he causes, and the powers of Earth and Fire are unleashed on an unsuspecting city.

Book Number: 29

Number Of Pages: 343

Book Title: The Serpent’s Shadow

Summary: Born of a Brahmin mother to an English army officer father, Dr. Maya Witherspoon fled India to England following her the deaths of her parents. An untutored Earth Elemental Mage, Maya had been told by her mother that her magic was that of her father’s people, and that she must find one among them to teach her. Water Mage Peter Scott offers to take on the role of tutor when she is snubbed by the other Masters for being female and mixed race. But an enemy has followed her from her homeland… can Maya learn to control her powers in time to defend herself?

Book Number: 30

Number Of Pages: 446

Book Title: The Gates of Sleep

Summary: Sent from birth to be raised by artist friends of her parents, Marina has spent most of her life learning to control her Elemental Magic. But she always wondered why her parents, also Elemental Masters, didn’t raise and train her themselves. But with their sudden death shortly before her eighteenth birthday, she comes under the guardianship of her father’s estranged sister. Arachne exudes an aura of evil sorcery unlike anything Marina has encountered before. She quickly realizes that Arachne may well be the reason her parents fostered her out, but can she free herself of Arachne’s curse before it takes full effect?

Book Number: 31

Number Of Pages: 468

Book Title: Phoenix and Ashes

Summary: When Eleanor’s father died in the Great War, her newly-acquired stepmother, a dark path Earth Master, left her alive only because the man had not taken the time to alter his will leaving his entire estate to his daughter, and if Eleanor died before she was of age, everything would then go to a distant cousin. But using a ritual that included severing one of Eleanor’s fingers and burying it beneath the hearth, the stepmother bound Eleanor to the house and yard, causing her to fade from the memory of the neighbors and turning her into the lowest of servants. But over the course of several years of war, Eleanor started to come into her own Elemental power of fire, and learned to stretch the boundaries of her tie to her house so that she could occasionally steal a few hours to herself and walk out on the fringes of the local lord’s property. That man, Reggie Fenyx, was an Air Master and a pilot. A celebrated ace, his air elemental allies helped keep him safe when he flew, until the day he met up with a German Air Master in a dogfight and nearly died. Broken in body and suffering shell shock, he often retreated to the fringes of the property to escape his widowed mother’s attempts at matchmaking. Can Reggie and Eleanor help each other rebuild their shattered lives from the ashes of war?

Book Number: 32

Number Of Pages: 377

Book Title: The Wizard of London

Summary: Although she was born to Elemental Mage parents, Sarah did not inherit her parents’ talents, but instead showed signs of psychic ability. So her parents sent her to the Harton School in London, where Isabelle Harton gave training to those youngsters who needed to learn to control such gifts. But Sarah soon proved to be a true medium, able to see and speak with the dead, and an unknown Elemental Master seemed to want to kill her. Isabelle must go to Lord Alderscroft for help in protecting Sarah, the leader of the Elemental Mages of London… and the man who had once broken her heart. In seeking his help, Isabelle discovers that Lord Alderscroft was in as much danger as Sarah… but could she convince him that he needed help?

Book Number: 33

Number Of Pages: 372

Book Title: Reserved for the Cat

Summary: Aspiring ballerina Ninette thought her fortune would be made the day an accident thrust her into the lead role for a matinee performance. But the reviews of her performance were too good, and she was fired in order to soothe the star’s wounded ego. Destitute and desperate, she thought at first she was going mad when a cat climbed to her windowsill and spoke in her mind with a plan: she would go to England, presenting herself as Russian ballerina Nina Tchereslavsky, and go to work in a particular music hall in Blackpool. Faced with the choice of going along with the cat’s plans or becoming a prostitute, Ninette placed her life in the cat’s paws, not knowing that he was an Elemental Spirit sent to help her. But the cat was unaware that the real Nina had been possessed by an evil Elemental Spirit, which now wished to destroy Ninette.

Book Number: 34

Number Of Pages: 374

Book Title: Unnatural Issue

Summary: At 21, Susanne had never once seen her father, a recluse who had hidden himself from the world since her mother’s death in childbirth. But despite this neglect, she was well trained in her Earth Elemental Magic, trained by one she only knew as Robin. She loved the land and cared for it, never thinking to leave it. But her father, unhinged by the loss of his wife, had first turned to the dark paths of his Earth Mastery, and then to the vile practice of necromancy in his desperation to bring back his late wife… and thought to use Susanne’s body as the vessel to house the spirit of her dead mother. Sent to France by friends, Susanne dares to hope she’s safely escaped her father’s plans, only to find herself in a different sort of danger as all of Europe descends into war. And such a war can only give a necromancer all the power in the world to use for his unnatural desires…

Book Number: 35

Number Of Pages: 311

Book Title: Home from the Sea

Summary: Mari, daughter of a Welsh fisherman, had always kept somewhat to herself. This was partly to avoid questions about her father’s unusual prosperity and luck, and partly because she spent her whole life able to see what others could not… water spirits and other such creatures. Then her father explains the reason for the family’s luck: an old bargain with the seal-folk called the Selch, in which one of the family married a Selch, who would return to the sea after two children were born, taking one and leaving the other… and now it’s time for Mari to wed and continue the bargain. But Mari is also an Elemental Master, though untrained, and her power has caught the attention of the head mage of the Elemental Masters, who sends agents of his own to make sure the unknown Elemental Master doesn’t become evil or unbalanced, and who come to Mari’s aid in a most unexpected way.

Book Number: 36

Number Of Pages: 432

Book Title: Hellion

Author: Bertrice Small

Summary: For mature readers only. Called “Belle from Hell” by her serfs, who resented a female overlord, young Isabelle of Langston ruled over her English lands as indomitably as any man following her father’s departure on Crusade. Unaware of both her father’s death and Henry Beauclerc’s ascension to the throne following the death of his brother William Rufus, she failed to respond to King Henry’s call to pledge her fealty. Fearing Isabelle meant to declare for Normandy on the advice of her Norman half-brother, Henry orders her wed to Hugh Fauconier, a descendent of the original Saxon lord of her lands. But her greedy half-brother treacherously delivers Hugh into the hands of the reputed sorceress Vivienne d’Bretagne and her brother Guy, thought to be the descendants of the wizard Merlin’s lover. Can Belle’s love for Hugh save him? Or will she too fall prey to the spell of the d’Bretagnes?

Book Number: 37

Number Of Pages: 409

Book Title: Adora

Author: Bertrice Small

Summary: For mature readers only. Bartered into marriage with the Ottoman Sultan Orkhan, a man old enough to be her grandfather, Princess Theadora of Byzantium is sent to a convent in Bursa until such time as she becomes old enough to bear children and consummate the marriage. Feeling alone and forgotten by her elderly husband, she meets Prince Murad, Orkhan's youngest son. Murad, assuming his father will die of old age before remembering his third wife, feels safe in courting Theadora, intending to take her as his own bride. To their dismay, he does not. Murad reacts with anger when his father does die, sending her fleeing. But Theadora's jealous sister, now Empress of Byzantium, plots to send Theadora to Murad as a slave instead of a wife.