BookChallenge

250 Book Challenge 2013-2014

Book Number:5

Number Of Pages:398

Book Title:Mockingjay

Author:Suzanne Collins

Summary:Katiniss Everdeen is still fighting even as the world she know crumbles around her. Left out of important plans, can Katniss accept responsibility for other peoples' lives, even as a pawn in a game she doesn't truly understand.

Book Number: 1

Number Of Pages: 240

Book Title: Death in Yellowstone

Author: Lee H. Whittlesey

Summary: This is a book that addresses the deaths in Yellowstone National Park and the causes of them.

Book Number: 9

Number Of Pages: 294

Book Title: To Aru Majutsu no Index

Author: Kamachi Kazuma

Summary: A strange girl dressed in a white sister's habit appears on the balcony of Kamijou Touma's dorm room. She calls herself Index, and claims to carry 103,000 forbidden books of magic. Chased by magicians who crave the knowledge she holds, Touma finds himself drawn to protect her with his own special power, the Imagine Breaker, a right hand which can destroy even the systems laid down by God.

Rating: 3.5

Review: -

Book Number: 15

Number Of Pages: 298

Book Title: Steadfast

Author: Mercedes Lackey

Summary: Kate grew up performing acrobatics and dance with her parents in a small traveling circus. But following her parents’ deaths in a fire, the circus owner persuaded her to marry Dick, the strong man. When he proves abusive, Kate flees. She finds her way to Brighton, and takes a job as a stage magician’s assistant in a music hall. The magician, Lionel, is an Elemental Mage, as is Jack, the crippled veteran who works as the doorman. The two men realize that Kate is also an Elemental Mage, attuned to Fire… and she doesn’t realize it. For her own safety, as well as that of those around her, they train her in her abilities, so that she won’t accidentally lose control if she is pushed into rage or terror. And just in time, as a furious Dick traces Kate to Brighton in order to reclaim her for his own.

Book Number: 16

Number Of Pages: 456 (large print edition)

Book Title: The Guardian

Author: Beverly Lewis

Summary: Christian fiction. Jodi, a teacher house-sitting in the heart of Lancaster County over the summer, has lost faith following the recent death of her sister. The loss has made her unwilling to consider children, straining her relationship with her fiancé. But then she finds a lost little Amish girl. When she returns little Sarah to her family, they welcome her warmly, introducing her to their ways. When word gets out that Jodi lost her job, the church elders and school board take the unheard-of step of offering her a temporary post teaching in the local school. She accepts, and Sarah’s widowed mother Maryanne offers to board her for the duration of her job. The two women become close despite their separate backgrounds, and help one another come to terms with the sorrows of their pasts and move on with their lives.

Book Number: 17

Number Of Pages: 282

Book Title:The Shunning

Summary: Christian fiction. Katie Lapp, a young Amish woman from Hickory Hollow, is preparing for her coming wedding to the bishop of her district, when she finds a most unusual item hidden in the attic: a satin infant’s dress, with the name Katherine Mayfield sewn into it. When she confronts her parents about it, she learns the long-hidden secret of her birth… an unwed teenage mother gave her to them on the day of her birth when she heard the nurses say their own daughter had been stillborn... and that her birth mother, very ill, has been seen in the area, presumably seeking her. Already uncertain about her coming marriage as she still misses her first love, dead in an accident some years before, Katie flees the wedding service, and refuses to make public confession. As a result, she is put under the ban, shunned by everyone in her church. Yet that shunning gives her the chance to explore the outside world, and hopefully find her birth mother.

Book Number: 18

Number Of Pages: 286

Book Title: The Confession

Summary: Christian fiction. Following the vague clues she has concerning her birth mother’s whereabouts, Katie embraces the outside world and makes her way to New York State, where her wealthy birth mother lives. But she arrives on the heels of an actress hired by her mother’s husband to pose as the searched-for daughter, as the unscrupulous man had learned that his wife had re-written her will to leave the bulk of her estate to her daughter instead of him. Mistaken for a new housemaid, Katie ends up serving in her mother’s home, where her mother’s long-time servants notice both her resemblance to their mistress, and the other girl’s too-perfect hands and deliberate vagueness about her past, and arrange for the truth to come out. Meanwhile back in Hickory Hollow, Katie’s Amish mother slips into depression, and Katie’s first love returns after having been presumed dead for five years.

A question: I've been checking over the rules more closely, and I believe I've been making a mistake in thinking I had to list books I read before this challenge began, and then again after the challenge started, as re-reads. Do re-reads only refer to books we re-read during this challenge? If so, apologies for my inability to read. :-)

Yes, re-reads only refer to books read more than once during the challenge. You can read fine; it's the rule that wasn't clear, so I added an FAQ a few days ago smile.gif

Updated to here.

Yes, re-reads only refer to books read more than once during the challenge. You can read fine; it's the rule that wasn't clear, so I added an FAQ a few days ago smile.gif

Updated to here.

Huh, what do you know. All last challenge I also marked things as re-reads if I'd read them prior to the challenge. Well, sweet, now I know for this year.

Book Number: 12

Number Of Pages: 178

Book Title: The Young Adventurers #2: The Riddle That Never Was

Author: Enid Blyton

Summary: When Uncle Bob comes over to stay, Nick and Mike are delighted. However, he's depressed. So the boys attempt to create a mystery for him to solve and, all of a sudden, things really begin to happen! What could possibly be going on?

Rating: -

Book Number:4

Number Of Pages: 261

Book Title: Handbuch für Zeitreisende (engl.orig.:How to live safely in a science fiction universe)

Author: Charles Yu

Summary: Protagonist Charles Yu (same name as author),who works as a repairer for defect time machines lives in a virtuell reality out of normal time.A defect of his machine causes a time warp in which he is caught, shooting himself and being shoot by himself.He tries to escape with the help of a book, written by his future self.

Rating: (optional)2/5

Review: (optional)

Number Of Pages: 272

Book Title: Drive

Author: Daniel H. Pink

Summary: Drive is a nonfiction book about intrinsic motivation. This book argues that it is human nature to be curious; and thus, human nature to work on something that interests us. This gives multiple case studies where external motivation such as money has led to poorer performance. The three parts for a more successful society are incorporating autonomy, mastery, and purpose. When a person is self directed, and when something that he is doing is not 'work', then the quality greatly increases. People want to get better at things; this is mastery. With knowledge of the purpose for doing something, humans are significantly more motivated. With this in mind, it is disappointing how behind the business world is; once again, while the scientific community knows that external motivation can hinder rather than help, most companies still use the same outdated business model with strict bosses and compliant employees as the industrial revolution.

Rating: I am a very critical person, and my scale is from 1-10. When I say that 5 is average, I mean it. Most of my books will be clustered from 4-6. (3/10) = Poor. This book had good arguments and nice case studies incorporated, but it was incredibly repetitive. We're not 5 years old!

Book Number: 4

Number Of Pages: 197

Book Title: Trolløya: eit godnatteventyr

Author: Olaf Moriarty Solstrand

Summary: Ylva's parents are divorced, but she manages to make them cooperate on a story that her mother start inventing for her, which her father must continue the next evening. It's about the troll hunter Gunhild, and the lost space traveller Kirabo.

Book Number:2

Number Of Pages:527

Book Title:Valhalla Rising

Author:Clive Cussler

Summary:Another Dirk Pitt adventure wich starts with a luxury ship, the Emerald Dolphin, when it sinks on it's maiden voyage. Of course it's faulplay and Dirk Pitt and his friends are dragged into an adventure in wich they almost die, several times. With a surprise ending. Also making an appearance: Jules Verne and Captain Nemo!

Rating: definately a 5!

Review: All the Dirk Pitt adventures by Clive Cussler are exciting and wonderfull and keep you reading till you reach the end xd.png Though the books are pretty lengthy, they keep interesting till the end.

Book Number:5

Number Of Pages:282

Book Title:Mist Over Pendle

Author:Robert Neill

Summary:Set in early 17th century England, this novel tells the story of a young orphaned woman named Margery Whitaker, who is sent to live with an older relative, Roger Nowell.  Nowell is a true historical figure, who happens to be a Justice of the Peace in Pendle, a town in Lancashire.  Margery finds herself caught up in the events leading to the famous Lancaster witch trials of 1612.

Rating: (optional)Excellent

Review: (optional)This is one of my favourite books, and I've read it many times. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes historical novels. The story is told from the POV of someone involved in the investigation leading up to the witchcraft trials, and not from the POV of the witches themselves, so we get only that one perspective. People in those days mostly believed in witchcraft, however, especially the witches themselves.

The story gives us more than just the witches, however. There are many lovely passages about early 17th century customs and fashions, a couple of nice little romances, and many discussions of ethics when it comes to investigating crimes. Also, Margery is a fascinating heroine -- intelligent, brave and compassionate.

Edited by Jennie

Book Number: 5

Number Of Pages: 567

Book Title: Die Mächte des Feuers

Author: Markus Heitz

Summary: In a historical slightly changed year of 1925 there is a permanent war going on between dragons, the real ringleaders of most political events, and mankind, mostly represented by an organisation of the church, the officium, who acts as dragonslayers.Silena from the officium has to stop one special dragon from destroying the balance and gaining unlimeted power.

Rating: (optional)4/5

Review: (optional)

Book Number: 2

Number Of Pages: 734

Book Title: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Author: J.K. Rowling

Summary: Harry Potter is in his fourth year at Hogwarts, and this is the year that the Triwizard Tournament takes place at his school.

Book Number: 3

Number Of Pages: 544

Book Title: The Son of Neptune

Author: Rick Riordan

Summary: Percy Jackson loses his memory and remembers only one name: Annabeth. He ends up in Camp Jupiter and goes on a quest with two other half bloods.

Book Number: 4

Number Of Pages: 423

Book Title: Dead to You

Author: Lisa McMann

Summary: Ethan de Wilde was abducted at the age of seven while he was playing in his front yard. Nine years later, he is reunited with his family.

Edited by XiaoChibi

Book Number: 10

Number Of Pages: 387

Book Title: Native Star

Author: M. K. Hobson

Summary: Emily is a small town Witch with a sick father who is simply trying to survive. But while investigating a nearby mine full of runaway zombies, she accidentally ends up with a stone stuck in her right hand which absorbs all magic around it. All she wants is to get it out and fix the excessively strong love spell she cast on a local lumberjack, but the stone has its own ideas.

Rating: 4.5

Review: Well paced and amazingly not excessive on the love story.

Book Number:6

Number Of Pages:465

Book Title:The Amber Spyglass

Author:Philip Pullman

Summary:With the help of their friends, Lyra and Will journey to the land of the dead. Meanwhile war is building up as Lord Asriel prepares to rebel.

Book Number:7

Number Of Pages:290

Book Title:Wings

Author:Aprilynne Pike

Summary:What was once a simple transition from homeschooling to public school, soon entangles Laurel in mythology and fairies.

Sign me up please! smile.gif I've been looking to start being more active on the DC forum and this seems like a great start and I can track what I read.

Book Number: 2

Number Of Pages: 418

Book Title: Daughter of Smoke and Bone

Author: Laini Taylor

Summary: Karou, an "ordinary" art student, has to keep her two lifes in balance. She doesn't know who she is exactly and feels that she isn't whole.

Rating: 5/5

Review:

Book Number: 3

Number Of Pages: 513

Book Title: Days of Blood and Starlight

Author: Laini Taylor

Summary: The sequel of " Daughter of Smoke and Bone" which contiues the story of Karou and anymore would be kind of a spoiler unsure.gif

Rating: 5/5

Review: Is it enough to say that I can wait until 2014 to read the last book of this trilogy? Hurry up, Ms. Taylor...please.

I am way behind on reading dry.gif

Sign me up, please! I vaguely remember this from a few years ago, before my hiatus. I have many, many books to read - my cupboards are groaning under all the weight.

On a side note, anyone attempting the '1001 books to read before you die' challenge (or know of it)? Most of my books will be from that list, with a scattering of scifi/fantasy and YA.

Book Number:8

Number Of Pages:208

Book Title:Hatchet

Author:Gary Paulsen

Summary:On his way to see his father, Brian's plane crashes on route. This is a tale of survival in the lonely Canadian wilderness.

Book Number: 13

Number Of Pages: 170

Book Title: The Young Adventurers #3: The Riddle of the Rajah's Ruby

Summary: Sophie and David inherit a cursed ruby when their grandmother, their last relation, dies. Their caretaker has left them and the replacement caretaker whisks them away to a place which was supposed to be a 'great holiday place' but turns out to be an old, old house, empty for years. Upon realising that they are actually kidnapped, they manage to contact Nick and Katie and tell them about the situation they are in. Will Nick and Katie save them in time?

Book Number: 14

Number Of Pages: 214

Book Title: The Young Adventurers #4: The Riddle of the Hollow Tree

Summary: After the unfortunate death of their parents, Nick and Katie are sent to live with their unloving aunt and uncle, who is too weak to stand up for them. They soon meet Laura and her dog, Russet, which comes as a break from their aun's constant nagging from time to time. But when they learn that they will be sent away again, the friends hatch a daring plan to stay together.

Number Of Pages: 313

Book Title: The Fault In Our Stars

Author: John Green

Summary: 16 year-old Hazel Lancaster has terminal cancer but has a few years left thanks to a new super drug. However her whole life changes when she meets August Waters at her support group, a 17-year old boy in remission.

Rating: 5

Book Number:6

Number Of Pages:357

Book Title:The Anatomist's Wife

Author:Anna Lee Huber

Summary:Lady Darby, the widow of an anatomist, Sir Anthony Darby, finds herself involved in a murder case in 1830 Scotland. Kiera is an artist who had been forced by her husband to sketch the dead bodies he dissected. In the early 19th century, people were afraid of anatomists, after the case of Burke and Hare came to light. Kiera is therefore suspected of the murder and must help investigate in order to clear her own name.

Rating: Fair

Review:I've given this book a 'fair' rating, because it's a bit spotty. The mystery itself is good, with a cleverly hidden clue early on. I found other aspects of the story, including an incipient romance, a bit annoying, stereotypical, and repetitive. It is set in the early 19th century, and in Scotland at that, and in general women tend to be repressed and controlled. Kiera's husband ordered her to do the sketches for his dissections, but I got a bit tired of being constantly reminded of this. Burke and Hare were two men who murdered people to sell to the anatomists. I can understand why people were afraid of the concept, but I also got tired of being reminded of that. The book moves fairly quickly, however, so it's easy to skim over these repetitive passages, and get to the meat of the mystery.

Book Number: 19

Number Of Pages: 300

Book Title: Unsinkable

Author: Nicole Bradshaw

Summary: Fifteen year old Corinne is happy with her life in a French village, until the day she arrives home to find racist policemen beating her father. Soon after, he announces his intention of moving the family back to Canada. Corinne is upset about leaving her home, but can’t even imagine the secrets she’ll learn and the choices she’ll have to make once they step aboard the Titanic.

Book Number: 20

Number Of Pages: 342

Book Title: Surrender Becomes Her

Author: Shirlee Busbee

Summary: Marcus Sherbrooke was the perfect gentleman. The only unseemly incident in his life occurred when his ward, seventeen year old Isabel Denham, defied his authority and eloped to India with a neighbor’s younger son. Now the widowed Isabel is, to his irritation, back in England once again. But when she falls prey to a blackmailer, Marcus steps in to protect her. His actions lead them to an impetuous marriage that neither wants, even as they discover a passion too deep to deny.

Book Number: 21

Number Of Pages: 391

Book Title: Rapture Becomes Her

Summary: Desperate to save her village and the remains of the family fortune from her wastrel cousin, Emily Townsend secretly leads a smuggling ring. And then her men rescue a stranger from the stormy waters of the Channel… the new Viscount Joslyn, recently arrived from the United States to claim his English inheritance and title, a man viciously attacked and thrown into the sea to drown. With little reason for trust between them, each one seeks answers that the other is unwilling to give, even as they find themselves drawn together.

Book Number: 22

Number Of Pages: 376

Book Title: Desire Becomes Her

Summary: Gillian Dashwood has little reason to trust gambling men. Her late husband squandered her entire fortune just before he was murdered… and the circumstances behind that murder ruined her reputation even though no charges were ever brought. So when she accepts her elderly Uncle Simon’s invitation to visit and meets his newest acquaintance, professional gambler Luc, she is determined to protect her uncle at all costs. At the same time, Luc, believing the rumors that Gillian is a murderess, is determined to protect Simon from the young woman he believes has only come with the intention of inheriting his fortune. Yet when a threat arises against Gillian herself, Luc finds himself ready to do anything it takes to protect her.

Book Number: 23

Number Of Pages: 372

Book Title: The Atonement Child

Author: Francine Rivers

Summary: Christian fiction. When Dynah, a student at a Christian college, finds herself pregnant following a brutal rape, her world is turned upside down. Taught all her life that abortion is never the answer, she is stunned to find everyone from her fiancé and friends… save one… to the dean of the college pressuring her to have an abortion. When she refuses, she is asked to withdraw from school and returns to her parents’ home, where they also push her to abort. Dynah flees once more as she tries to make the hardest decision she’s ever had to face.