BookChallenge

250 Book Challenge 2013-2014

Am I allowed to post this? I mean, I joined yesterday but my name's not on the list yet, so...

It's just because I hadn't updated the list, but posting is fine smile.gif

Updated to here.

Sign me up please xd.png

This is a good opportunity to do what i've been thinking about a few years now,

read all the books on the bookshelve :/

Oh, and the links need to be changed to direct here instead of last years topic. That's all smile.gif

Book Number: 1

Number Of Pages: 358

Book Title: Children of the Mind

Author: Orsan Scott Card

Summary: With the Lusitania Fleet approaching, the plan to end Jane's life progressing, and the discovery of a frightening new planet, it's a race against time to discover the unknown secrets of The Outside and to build the necessary bonds between the races of Lusitania.

Rating: -

Review: -

Edited by Raven301

Book Number: 3

Number Of Pages: 362

Book Title: Living la Vida Loca

Author: Belinda Jones

Summary: Carmen is desperate to have a break from life. So when her equally frustrated friend, Beth, suggests joining a reality TV show that would allow them to visit three countries for free, she's a bit hesitant - but who can resist? As they dance their way through Argentina, Spain, and Cuba, the two friends take the meaning of dancing to a whole new level, but do they have what it takes to go beyond the steps and free their hearts for love?

Edited by Dream_Dragon

Book Number: 2

Number Of Pages: 575

Book Title: The Daemon Prism

Author: Carol Berg

Summary: Dante is faced with a mystery when a former soldier comes to him complaining of sorcerous dreams which compel the former soldier to return and save a mysterious girl he encountered while at war. After healing the man, Dante finds himself tormented by similar dreams. Eventually he must once again adopt the mantle of the agent confide, though with his sanity fraying, he struggles to play the side of evil while not truly stepping into the abyss.

Rating: 4

Review: This was a very satisfying continuation of the Collegia Magica series. The mystery is well-plotted, and I liked the fact that this time we were able to see from Dante's point of view -- if I remember correctly, the first time we have had a chance to do so since the start of the series. Dante is well-drawn and his struggles to do good while seeing himself as evil and possibly beyond redemption feel very realistic. However, I found it a very slow read, perhaps due to the complicated prose.

Book Number:1 - Reread

Number Of Pages:160

Book Title:Runaway Stallion

Author:Walt Morey

Summary:A world famous race horse, gets spooked by a train, while it's being transported, and escapes. After a few months, it ends up with a young boy, who completely falls in love with the horse. My favourite childrens book when I was young smile.gif

Rating:5/5

Edited by snoesiepoes

Book Number:1

Number Of Pages:217

Book Title:Dear Life: Stories

Author:Alice Munro

Summary:A series of short stories about people's lives that frequently have a surreal quality.

censorkip.gifcensorkip.gifcensorkip.gifcensorkip.gifcensorkip.gif*

Book Number:2

Number Of Pages:295

Book Title:A Girl of the Limberlost

Author:Gene Stratton-Porter

Summary:Elnora -- the girl of the title -- grows up in the Limberlost, a swamp in eastern Indiana, USA. (This is technically a re-read, but I hadn't read it for decades, so in effect it was like reading it for the first time.)

Oh, and the links need to be changed to direct here instead of last years topic. That's all smile.gif

Oops, I changed the link on the first post, but I forgot the one of the signature.

Updated smile.gif

Number Of Pages: 155

Book Title: Eric

Author: Terry Pratchett

Summary: Technically it is an awesome parody of Goethe's Faust involving Rincewind and other characters from the Discworld.

Edited by Flaviel

This is a great incentive to build my reading list (especially since I'd be studying English Literature soon). Joining as soon as I finish up current books! wink.gif

Number Of Pages: 326 (Finnish edition)

Book Title: The Hunger Games

Author: Suzanne Collins

Summary: In the dystopian nation of Panem The Hunger Games are an annual event and TV show. Every year each of the 12 districts have to send one girl and one boy to participate in the games. The children must fight each other until only one is alive. When sixteen-year-old Katniss volunteers as a tribute to save her sister, she must find a way to make it home alive.

Number Of Pages: 354 (Finnish edition)

Book Title: Catching Fire

Summary: The sequel to The Hunger Games deals with Katniss and Peeta, winners of the 74th Hunger Games, going on a Victory Tour across the nation. After a threatening visit from President Snow, who thinks that Katniss has inspired rebellion among the citizens, Katniss tries to stop the fire she started from spreding before her loved ones are hurt.

Number Of Pages: 362 (Finnish edition)

Book Title: Mockingjay

Summary: In the final book of the trilogy, Katniss and a handful of other survivors from the destruction of District 12 are now living in District 13, the base of the rebels. Katniss becomes the Mockingjay, the face of the rebellion, and has to lead the rebels to victory in the battle against President Snow and the Capitol.

Number Of Pages: 704

Book Title: Citadel

Author: Kate Mosse

Summary: The story is set in France during World War II, where a young woman, Sandrine Vidal, with friends and family belong to a resistance group. The search for an ancient religious text, searched for by both sides, is central to the story.

Number Of Pages: 635

Book Title: Flut

Author: Wolfgang Hohlbein

Summary: Rachel, a young women, who grew up adopted, finds herself suddenly chased by unknown,brutal killers without knowing the reason.The one, who helps her is Benedikt, but he's also shady and involved with the killers.While trying to escape she discovers that it's literally the end of the world indicated by meteorites and permanent heavy rain, and that it's her duty to protect the next messias, who is to be born on the world's last day, from the evil from hell.

Rating: (optional) 1/5

Review: (optional) Though written exciting, it's a mix of endless repetitive, brutal shootings and pseudo-religious nonsense.There's no logic involved and it seems that the same scenario is repeating itself again and again.

Although I'm not on the list yet, I'm posting anyways so I don't forget....

Number Of Pages: 567

Book Title: Dark Fire

Author: Chris D'Lacey

Summary: This, the fifth book in the Last Dragon Chronicles, describes David Rain's return to Wayward Crescent after five years away in the Arctic. Previously in The Fire Eternel, the prequel to Dark Fire, Lucy had created a Darkling- a force against dragons. The Darkling's heart, not put into the actual Darkling, contained a drop of pure dark fire, said to be the inverted form of a dragon's tear. The Ix, an evil version of the Fain, godlike creatures from another world, will do anything to use the dark fire for their own needs- possibly destroying the Earth in the process.

Rating: about 8-9 out of 10, don't like the way the author commits a lot of characters to death/near-death

Review: I would definitely recommend that you read the Last Dragon Chronicles.

Edited by heavenuniasus

Book Number: 4

Number Of Pages: 393

Book Title: The Accidental Husband

Author: Jane Green

Summary: Two women, who live on opposite coasts, are strangers to each other, yet they share more in common than they realise. The both of them think that life is safe and secure for them, with a splendid house each, and a loving, devoted husband. But Maggie and Sylvie are about to discover a terrible secret and the reality of life hits them hard. Can they work together and pull through?

Number Of Pages: 467

Book Title: Ender's Shadow

Author: Orson Scott Card

Summary: In Ender's Shadow you retravel the life of a Battle School student as well as the legend of Ender Wiggin, but this time you are from the perspective of Bean. Taken from the tough life on the streets of Rotterdam Bean has to adjust to Battle School, discovering some shocking secrets along the way.

Book Number: 5

Number Of Pages: 180

Book Title: Judy Moody #9: Girl Detective

Author: Megan McDonald

Summary: Judy Moody has been reading Nancy Drew lately and she's in the mood to solve a mystery. So when a police-dog-in-training goes missing, she attempts to solve it with her Nancy-Drew-detective skills.

Book Number: 6

Number Of Pages: 130

Book Title: Judy Moody #8: Judy Moody Goes to College

Author: Megan McDonald

Summary: Judy Moody isn't that great at math. So when her parents get a note from her teacher, stating that she needs special help, they fix Judy up with a tutor - at college! Will Judy Moody's bad-i-tude about math change into a radical math-i-tude?

I accidentally read them in the wrong order. user posted image

biggrin.gif

Edited by Dream_Dragon

Sign me up! Possibly picking up the entire A Song of Ice and Fire series tomorrow. Until then, I'll post the books I finished recently.

(erm... I'll add them tomorrow.)

Number Of Pages: 432

Book Title: A Memory Between Us

Author: Sarah Sundin

Summary: When Major Jack Novak lands in an WWII army hospital following a plane crash, he becomes determined to win the heart of his nurse, Lieutenant Ruth Doherty. But Ruth, focused on her work to support her orphaned siblings, also fears allowing any man to become too close due to her past, in which a naïve mistake led to a devastating attack. Jack must overcome his own pride and arrogance in order to breach Ruth’s defenses, or their romance is destined to crash and burn.

Number Of Pages: 414

Book Title: Blue Skies Tomorrow

Author: Sarah Sundin

Summary: Helen Carlisle’s late husband, killed in the Pacific, is considered a hero by the people of their hometown. With a young child to support, she is forced to rely on her in-laws for shelter, and they expect her to answer to them in everything, including her personal life. Lieutenant Ray Novak, a minister as well as a trainer of B-17 pilots, slowly wins her heart despite the disapproval of her in-laws. But when his conscience prods him into accepting a combat position, his plane goes down over Germany and he’s presumed dead, leading Helen to accept the proposal of the man her in-laws want her to marry.

Number Of Pages: 389

Book Title: Hazel

Author: Julie Hearn

Summary: Hazel Mull-Dare has a good, but boring life. Until June 4, 1913, when her father took her to the Epsom Derby, and she witnessed a suffragist stepping out in front of the king’s horse to protest the injustice of denying women the vote. Inspired by what she saw, Hazel attempts her own rebellion in support of the suffragist cause, only to find herself shipped to her grandparents’ sugar plantation in the Caribbean. There, she learns the truth about the slavery upon which her family’s fortune was built, and discovers another, even more shameful secret of the past.

Book Number: 4

Number Of Pages: 370

Book Title: Girls Forever Brave and True

Author: Caryl Rivers

Summary: Peg Morrison and Constance Wepplener Masters have been best friends since high school, determined to be something other than housewives despite Con’s marriage right after graduation. Peg, a Pulitzer Prize-winning correspondent for the Tribune, is returning to Washington DC, deciding that at age 30, it’s time to settle down. Con, whose Navy husband is on assignment to the Pentagon, is a reporter for the Press-Herald, assigned to the party circuit but working to get the Hill. Together with Kitty Cohen, a widow and well-known political hostess, they’re determined to carve their place in a historically male-dominated city.

Book Number:2

Number Of Pages:409

Book Title: The Golden Compass

Author:Philip Pullman

Summary: This book is about a girl named Lyra who has lived among the scholars for her whole life. Until one day, when 2 very important people arrive. The first, brings tales of danger in the far north. The second, a scholar and explorer who gives her the attention the people around her do not deliver. Will the allure of the north pull her in?

Edited by Red_Rose87

Number Of Pages: 217

Book Title: Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Third Wheel

Author: Jeff Kinney

Summary: Greg explains that he can remember everything when he was a baby, even BEFORE he was born. He then talks about going to a Resturant, Corny's. His uncle lives in their home which Greg doesn't like. At school they're holding a ball, like a prom, and Greg has trouble getting a date.

Rating: (optional)

Review: (optional)

Number Of Pages: 365

Book Title: Warriors: The Sight

Author: Erin Hunter

Summary: Jaykit, Lionkit,and Hollykit, are made apprentices, Hollykit becoming the medicine cat apprentice. Later Hollykit, not Hollypaw thinks she isn't cut out to be a medicine cat and Jaypaw thinks he should be a medicine cat because he's blind. The two switch roles, and Jaypaw finds his way to the Moonpool even though he's blind, and meets the other medicine cats and their apprentices, one being Willowpaw. They both do not like each other.

Rating: (optional)

Review: (optional)

Number Of Pages: 284

Book Title: Haruka naru Tsuisoukyoku

Author: Sakaki Ichirou

Summary: The Peacemakers' ultimatum leaves Pacifica, Raquel and Shannon no choice but to present themselves in the capital city of Zauel or let thousands of innocent people die. But with their chance of victory so slim, Natalie and Zefiris feel they have no choice to stand in their way. In order to protect Pacifica until her full power awakens, Natalie attempts to brainwash Shannon to put Pacifica's well-being above anyone and everyone.

Rating: 4

Review: Well written; Natalie's brainwashing approach was truly chilling. However, it still felt like an eddy in the plot that didn't need to be there.