pudding

Sweet and Pudding 1x1

Loki sat down on the bed beside the girl and tried to think of the easiest way to explain all of the nine realms. The issue was that he lacked evidence to show her all of these things existed. Well, aside from the obvious that he really wasn't prepared for. He was still recovering from shock regarding what had happened earlier. "I am not human," he said, staring at Darcy. It seemed like the only evidence he had so unless he wanted to seem crazy, he might as well tell her. "I grew up on a different place called Asgard. The people who inhabit Asgard as known as Aesir. For a while, I thought I was one of them but the other day I was informed by the man I thought to be my father that I was actually a Jotun. Jotuns are the sworn enemies of Aesir and due to a recent collapse of peace and a few mistakes I made trying to protect my home, I was banished here. But the only proof I can really offer you is to show you what I actually look like. I would prefer not to but if you find it hard to take my word, I guess I could."

Darcy listened in silence, trying to process this. "It sounds insane, but.. You got hit by a car and survived. That has to mean something, right?" She was quiet again, the cogs in her mind turning as she tried to accept the information. "I won't make you prove it, if its that big a deal. But how do you get back to Asgard then?"

"I cannot," Loki replied as he looked down at his hands. "All of my magic save enough to hide my true form has been taken from me. Unless I find some way to get it back, I won't be able to return home. Even then, Odin will probably just banish me again. I will probably be stuck on Midgard for the rest of my life. But that's alright. I'm used to injustice considering my entire life has been a horrible, horrible lie. I was told I was a prince but instead I was just a stolen relic. I've never had a chance to be king."

Darcy found herself pitying this stranger. Even if this was all a lie, it spoke out to her, and she put a hand on his shoulder. "Well.. That sucks, I have to admit. But screw them, right? I mean, if they're going to be a bunch of censorkip.gif s, then who needs Asgard? Midgard is pretty sweet, if I do say so myself. Learn how to be a human. They don't know what they're missing," she said, a michievious look on her face.

"I appreciate your optimism," Loki replied with a smile as he put a hand on her shoulder, mimicking her action. "I did not fit in well in Asgard anyway since I chose to develop my wit and not my might. Perhaps Midgard will be more accepting of that. I may need a bit of time to adjust, though. Would you mind teaching me how Midgardians act and talk? I can tell already we are quite different."

His plea took her by surprise. She would be teaching this.. Alien how to live in their society. Darcy supposed it would be fun, and was actually having a hard time not chomping at the bit to get started. "Sure. I mean, I can't do it all in one day, but I can help point stuff out that needs to be fixed. First things first- you talk waaaay too properly. On earth, and especially in America, we use a lot of slang. Apostrophes. Stuff like that. Not a lot of fancy word usage, although I kind of like it," she admitted, adjusting her glasses.

"My speech is too formal?" Loki asked. As a prince, it had been expected that he speak eloquently and properly. It would be hard to fix that. But his silver tongue could learn. "What sort of slang do you use? Should I also try to mimic your accent or is there a place on Midgard that I can simply claim to be from? Also, will you tell your boss Jane about me? I'd like to keep my presence here a secret since I do not imagine it beneficial to declare myself an alien and walk among you like that. People rarely act kindly to those different than them."

"Woah, one thing at a time pal," Darcy said, holding up her hands to stop him. Already her head was spinning, though she tried not to appear as flustered as she felt. "Yeah, too formal. Slang like.. Ain't, and cuz and stuff like that. It'd be easier if you just asked me what something means when you hear it, instead of me trying to teach you every word of slang," she replied, grinning slightly at his puzzled expression. "Don't change your accent, its awesome. Say you're from England, people over there sound similar to you. If they ask for a specific place.. Uh, tell them London I guess," she went on; his accent was her favorite part. His voice was so smooth! Not that she'd admit it.. God she hoped she wasn't blushing. "I'll just tell Jane you were fine but left. I can keep it a secret and no, proclaiming yourself to be an alien will only land you in a government facility."

England, London. Certainly odd names but they would be easy to memorize. The slang would be harder to pick up, though. Breaking formality was a tough thing. But if it made him stand out, it would have to go. He stared down at the clothing he had been given then sighed. "I just wish today had not happened," he said as he rested his hands on his knees. "I have only tried to help my home and for that, I was cast out here. And now I fear that Thor will take the throne and declare war, plunging all of the nine realms into chaos. I cannot make it back on my own unless I find some way to replenish the magic stolen from me. And even then, I cannot do anything to stop the war peacefully." He stood up after a moment and rubbed his hand through his hair as he tried to think. "I just never expected any of this," he said after a moment of pause.

Darcy watched him, resisting the urge to cuddle him like an overgrown teddybear. For one, he probably wouldn't appreciate it, and two, she got the feeling that if he lashed out, she wouldn't be conscious for a while. "I know it sucks, but there's nothing you can do about it. So, since you can't do anything, forget about it for a while. Right now, you're chillin' with the Midgardians, kay? Now let's go do something fun," she said, hopping off the bed.

"Fun?" Loki asked as he turned to stare down at the woman who had been very hospitable to him. He had to return the favor somehow. "What do you do for fun?" He asked. Hopefully it wasn't like the Asgardian versions of fun. They mostly involved getting drunk and fighting. It was a wonder he did not figure out he was different earlier seeing he was so different from all of the Aesir at home. "Perhaps it would be better if I did something to take my mind off of everything, if only for a short while. Lead on to fun and I shall follow you."

Darcy grinned at him, shaking her head. "You are taking this way too seriously. Just cut loose, okay? C'mon," she said, flouncing out of the room and expecting him to follow. She had a few ideas, but first thing was first- she was starving. "We're gonna grab something to eat, and then I'm taking you to the nearest amusement park and so help me god you are riding every damn rollercoaster," she huffed.

"Oh... Alright," Loki said as he quickly followed her. He was like a lost puppy following her around and had no idea what to do other than follow Darcy. "What is an amusement park? And roller coasters... What function do they serve? Are they like horses?"

"An amusement park is a place we humans go to for fun. We ride things and no, they aren't like horses. You'll see," Darcy said with a smirk, leading him back out into the street. "But like I said, something to eat first. Since you're an alien, I'll pick something good for you. What do you like to eat anyway? Just curious," she asked, pushing the door open to the diner.

"I just eat what's put in front of me," Loki replied softly. It wasn't that he was being dishonest or anything, he just ate everything and everything. He was almost always hungry as well. "What do you usually eat in New Mexico?" He followed her into the strange building and looked around. People were eating at small tables, talking with who was sitting with them but no one else. "Remarkable. Is this where you go to eat?"

"Uh.. well, that depends on the restaurant. This place is a diner, so they have everything from pancakes to burgers," Darcy answered, seating herself and gesturing to the seat across from her. "There are a lot of different places to eat. I like this place because the food is good and it's close to my apartment. Oh, er, I'll have a coffee.. Loki, what do you want? There's soda, water, coffee, juice.."

Just like the roller coaster and amusement park, Loki had no idea what pancakes or burgers were. He sat down across from Darcy and looked at a piece of paper in front of him labeled menu. He looked up when a woman approached the table and Darcy ordered something called a coffee. "I'll have the same thing," he said as he watched the woman leave. So they ordered what they wanted and the food was delivered to them? That was an interesting way of doing it. "What are pancakes?" he asked, turning his gaze back to Darcy. "Oh, and burgers. I do not know what either is."

Darcy couldn't help it, she laughed. "A pancake is like.. A really flat piece of bread, you pour syrup on it so that its sweet. That's a breakfast thing. A burger is beef, which uh, is meat, on a bun with different toppings like lettuce and onions and ketchup. That's like a lunch or dinner thing." She accepted her coffee when it came an emptied some cream and sugar into it. Something occurred to her just then, making her warn, "It's really hot. And gross without this stuff." She tapped the empty containers of sugar and cream, taking a sip.

Loki looked at the mysterious brown liquid in his cup. He slowly lifted up the mug and smelled it before taking a sip. It was, like Darcy warned, very hot. Be he liked it, nonetheless. "No, it's good," he said as he took another sip of the coffee. It was bitter but not terrible. It was more like pleasant discovery. "Can you just order for me? I really do not know what any of your Midgardian cuisine is and I trust you to know what tastes good."

Immature as she was, Darcy was sorely, sorely tempted to order something blindingly spicy for him. However, she wasn't cruel, and just couldn't bring herself to do it. So, when the waitress came back she ordered herself a meatloaf sandwich and him a cheeseburger. "So.. How old are you?" She asked finally, curiosity gnawing away at her. He looked like he could be twenty or thirty, she had no clue.

Loki contented himself by slowly sipping at the beverage known as coffee, pleased with its taste. Asgard had nothing like it and it gave him a feeling of alertness that surprised him given that he had not had a decent sleep in a while. Being thrown into unconsciousness by Darcy's taser did not count as a good sleep, naturally. "How old am I?" He asked as he looked back at Darcy. "That is a difficult question to answer. I think I am drawing close to 3 millennia at this point but that is only basing my age off of Thor's. I've long forgotten my specific age."

Darcy gaped at him, then realized what she was doing and snapped her mouth shut. "Millennia? Dude.. That's.. Wow," she managed, at a loss for words. He hadn't said that he was a god, so she didnt know, otherwise she'd be even more stunned. "Okay but um.. In human years? Any idea there?" She finally managed to ask.

Human years? Hadn't he just... Oh, she wanted how old he was in comparison to them. Well, nearly three millennia was probably near thirty although he would live far longer than one hundred human years. He thought briefly before shaking his head. "If I had to guess, near thirty. But I can't say I know for sure. How old do I appear to you? Older or younger than my estimate?"

Darcy looked him up and down. He had a young look to him, as though he hadn't really reached any hardships that would age him yet. "You look like twenty five or something. I'm only twenty two," she replied after a moment of studiously examining him. Before they could continue, food was placed before them. She wasted no time in trying her own, licking a bit of sauce off her thumb.

So not too far off with his estimate. A bit younger, actually. "So we're similar in human years," he replied as he stared at the thing placed before him. Thing was probably the best word for it since Loki had absolutely no idea what it was or how to eat it. He paused before lifting a fork and gingerly prodding the creation's upper bread portion. He glanced at Darcy then set about using a fork and knife to try and cut the burger into pieces that he could eat. The result was messy but he looked surprisingly dignified cutting the burger with a knife. Stabbing a piece with his fork, he took a cautious bite then smiled. "Oh," he said in surprise. "That's quite good. What did you say this was?"