pinkgothic

Daily Dragon Fix

Lol, just to mention - someone has a wild CB Frill hatchy entered - made my heart leap with hope for a minute...

Not only a wild Frill, but a wild old-style Pink. I was like OH MY... wait a minute... Who is adding the wild hatchlings to the queue?

Hah thanks for the heads up, I'll keep an eye out for them if they haven't already been removed by another mod.

I too am seeing a fair amount of wild hatchlings.  Nabbed the lineage on this one:

http://dragcave.net/lineage/G2J0

*removed G2J0 and e7Gp and qCkR and eNlK and AbeA and klzX8 and mRDtE* happy.gif

I wouldn't worry too much about them, though. If they stay in DDF, they're being balanced out with clicks, after all. smile.gif Maybe someone thinks the wild hatchlings still need clicks; that sort of misconception has happened before.

Edited by pinkgothic

There's a scheduled downtime of the box that Daily Dragon Fix runs on in about three and a half hours. The site should return automatically after the reboot is done, but in case it doesn't please don't panic - even in that circumstances, I'll at latest be able to restore the site after I get home from work (in about nineteen hours from now). smile.gif

(While the official reboot downtime window is two hours starting from the aforementioned point in time, the downtime itself will probably be shorter than that.)

Edit: The reboot is over. Thanks for your patience!

Edited by pinkgothic

I just tried to re-add my eggs/hatchies (since I thought I got to 20 clicks yesterday but must have missed some and they were removed) but it wouldn't let me because the site said "Some of your dragon codes (6xDXf, KOwbs, L6lpY, PrHJH, VJEP3, ZfqPr, akRSs, de1G9, gtHKY) are currently already listed under another account and were not added to yours." I have 'accepting aid' turned off so I don't know who else would have put them back on the site... Is there a way that I can list them back under my account?

Edited by Denwayasha

I just tried to re-add my eggs/hatchies (since I thought I got to 20 clicks yesterday but must have missed some and they were removed) but it wouldn't let me because the site said "Some of your dragon codes (6xDXf, KOwbs, L6lpY, PrHJH, VJEP3, ZfqPr, akRSs, de1G9, gtHKY) are currently already listed under another account and were not added to yours." I have 'accepting aid' turned off so I don't know who else would have put them back on the site... Is there a way that I can list them back under my account?

Could you PM me those? I can re-assign them to your account, or delete them from the site once I get home. smile.gif

Edit: I noticed eight of those are currently orphaned (user_id = 0), so I removed those. You should be able to add them again. I'll see if I can tweak the script so that if you add codes that are on the site but orphaned, they're re-assigned to your account.

I wasn't able to find (6xDXf) in the database, mind you. Could you try that one again?

Edit II:

I'll see if I can tweak the script so that if you add codes that are on the site but orphaned, they're re-assigned to your account.

I tweaked the account.php script so it should now allow this. If anything acts oddly, as usual, let me know. smile.gif

Edited by pinkgothic

I finally reached the end of the very mysterious progress bar xd.png

xd.png

Nice going! Congratulations. biggrin.gif

Lol, just entered two eggs, was told that one code was 'malformed and could not be entered', (which I've never seen before,) giving a part-code, yet both eggs were entered when I went back, and there had been nothing else TO enter so hadn't even moved the entry box line up.

Am I glitching again, or is this a site thing? xd.png

Lol, just entered two eggs, was told that one code was 'malformed and could not be entered', (which I've never seen before,) giving a part-code, yet both eggs were entered when I went back, and there had been nothing else TO enter so hadn't even moved the entry box line up.

Am I glitching again, or is this a site thing? xd.png

Hi there,

I just had a quick look. The "malformed code" error is when you have a non alpha-numeric keystroke in the code (ie something that isn't a number or a letter). I'm guessing you may have had a space before or after the code when you entered it?

Check your account and make sure all the codes you've entered are showing a picture. If not, delete it and enter it again. It should work after that.

Cheers,

~rendragyn

Thanks for investigating, rendragyn!

I'm guessing you may have had a space before or after the code when you entered it?

I just added a trim(), just so you know, so leading and trailing spaces should no longer give this error. (It'll mean you're adding the wrong code, but I feel that's a different issue, and the 'malformed' error isn't helpful for that case.)

Edited by pinkgothic

Argh. It's been a while since this happened, but I accidentally removed JXkqF from the site when I managed to misclick while removing an adult. Sorry about that! :c

I've just joined and added a few dragons. I kind of can't stop clicking...

I've reached the End of Clicks...

Must click more...

Love clicking...clicking is fun...

Click.

Aarrgh file upload fail.

I'm sorry, I accidentally removed every fogged dragon from Daily Dragon Fix (even the protected ones). >_< I finally got API access and I'm currently working on an auto-cleaning script and of course I forgot to upload the fix for that scenario that I'd made locally the first time I ran the script on the live site. Very sorry about that. *headdesk*

(If you were affected, feel free to PM me, as far as I'm concerned I owe you a CB common hatchling of your choice as compensation now. user posted image)

Edit: Affected codes (manually recovered from an open tab):

• (jAstr) --> salvaged; see below
  • (UhsIs) --> salvaged; see below
  • (touPV) --> salvaged; see below
  • (iK2Fb) --> salvaged; see below
  • (zjdk6) --> salvaged; see below
  • (uzBPl) --> salvaged; see below
  • (PP0Jp) --> salvaged; see below
  • (TBli1) --> salvaged; see below
  • (7qwGN) --> salvaged; see below
  • (FSWVh)
  • (9y0Y3)
  • (CiAND)
  • (7XNOr)
  • (hQupw)
  • (VLyqm)
  • (d6W0o)
  • (lmsxT)
  • (o70dQ)
  • (eQfH6)
  • (c704X)
Since the affected dragons are fogged, I don't know who they belong to, or I'd actively reach out and contact the lot of you directly. Edited by pinkgothic

Lol, I was wondering why all of the dragons on my scroll, except for a hatchy I'd given someone and had evidently neglected to remove from here, were out of the site, and am VERY relieved to learn that it's not a site glitch! laugh.gif

Not a biggie; I've just put the eggs back in (10 of the Fogged would have been mine, so half identified there,) and dunno if I'll even bother with the rest of the hatchies later, but thanks for the heads-up, and congrats on the API access/auto-clean. smile.gif

Lol, I was wondering why all of the dragons on my scroll, except for a hatchy I'd given someone and had evidently neglected to remove from here, were out of the site, and am VERY relieved to learn that it's not a site glitch!  laugh.gif

Not a biggie; I've just put the eggs back in (10 of the Fogged would have been mine, so half identified there,) and dunno if I'll even bother with the rest of the hatchies later, but thanks for the heads-up, and congrats on the API access/auto-clean.  smile.gif

It's not running automatically yet as I don't trust it despite my local tests, so I just manually call it a few times and check the list of codes it told me it removed are really OK to remove. happy.gif But I think by next weekend I should have an active cronjob that cleans the site periodically.

I suspect I'll keep the user marking feature in case of an API downtime, though I expect it will become a lot less useful as a back-up feature once I've implemented the "can keep codes in for more than 24 hours" (because codes can be protected from user removal) feature.

(Which I hadn't implemented yet basically exactly for that reason. So, yay, API access!)

Edit:

Question: I have the ability (and in truth I would like to use it in some form) to check the ownership of the codes entered with the scrollname attached to the account. How do you people feel about the removal of codes that are on someone else's scroll? I would be willing to let the 'mark immunity' feature also protect from removal due to these scroll <-> Dragon Cave scroll discrepancies, for those of you using accounts to help friends that are on vacation, but I don't know if that's necessary. Thoughts?

Edited by pinkgothic

Personally, I'd think that letting scroll-sitters scroll-sit would be a Very Good Thing, smile.gif as also would be the retention of the user-clean ability.

I can recall times in the (admittedly distant) past when we'd lost fansites due to API issues where we were very glad to have one or more fansites not affiliated and therefore still running - really do think it best to avoid having all eggs in one basket, since stuff happens and there's generally a fan running somewhere to splatter it around, lol.

Edit: although, come to think of it, if the fansites aren't running, having the ability to clean them might not be terribly useful. xd.png (Just got cofffffeeeee.....)

Edited by Syphoneira

Although I do scroll-sit fairly frequently I almost never put anyone else's eggs on DDF -- largely because my own eggs take up most of my allotted space wink.gif -- so it really doesn't matter much, unless all the other sites find ways to cut off entering others' dragons, too.

Personally, I'd think that letting scroll-sitters scroll-sit would be a Very Good Thing,  smile.gif as also would be the retention of the user-clean ability.

I can recall times in the (admittedly distant) past when we'd lost fansites due to API issues where we were very glad to have one or more fansites not affiliated and therefore still running - really do think it best to avoid having all eggs in one basket, since stuff happens and there's generally a fan running somewhere to splatter it around, lol.

Edit: although, come to think of it, if the fansites aren't running, having the ability to clean them might not be terribly useful.  xd.png (Just got cofffffeeeee.....)

Well, I never want to turn DDF into a pure API-run site, so you will always be able to add codes manually, even once I introduce a 'grab all growing codes from my scroll' feature. So being able to clean the fan-site would still be useful even in absence of API access. Full site downtime is another matter, of course, and I think at this point it's become vanishingly likely the API will break but the site itself is still up, but I'd still like to keep the manual parts operational Just In Case™. smile.gif

Regarding the scroll-sitting:

I know the biggest failing of DDF right now is that if an egg/hatchling is traded away from a scroll, it's not automatically removed from DDF. I want to remedy that. The easiest way is to check for the scroll-belongingness of the codes. (Yes, I picked a silly, made-up word; hush.)

To allow scroll-sitting, though, I could introduce a mechanism on adding a code that ensures I keep in mind what scroll it was on when it was added, then only remove it when it changes scrolls.

So, the options are this:

• scroll-mismatching between code and scroll associated with DDF account results in code removal
    • easy to code
    • disallows scroll-sitting
    • loosely prevents the most obvious case of malicious view bombing (not that DDF has ever been useful for view bombing)
  • scroll-mismatching between code and scroll associated with DDF account results in code removal if mark immunity (like for fogging) was not applied
    • easy to code
    • allows scroll-sitting
    • does not fix the 'trade something off your scroll' issue in all cases
    • malicious view bombing costs as many clicks as mark immunity does (but again, DDF is not useful for view bombing; and if someone really wanted to use the site for that, they could just sign up with a different account)
  • scroll-mismatching between code and the scroll the code was associated with on time of submission to DDF results in code removal
    • slightly trickier to code
    • allows scroll-sitting
    • allows trade-swaps to be taken care of in all cases
    • malicious view bombing goes entirely unchecked (but again... see above)
[ Edit: Also, thanks for your input, purplehaze! *scribbles notes* ]

-----

Edit II:

You can now import the growing things from your scroll. Right now, it adds all of them, like on egg drop soup. I might make a checkbox-based system at some point, though I think it's not that important for DDF, since we don't have an ER section. smile.gif

-----

Edit III:

The site moderators can now change account passwords, too.

Also, I fiddled with the sign-up form so it uses the new password system (it was still using the old one). Please let me know if you run into issues with that! It's tested, but we know how well that goes around here. xd.png

Edited by pinkgothic

Thank you SO MUCH for the Import All!

Got up feeling dreadful, was cheered up by new, easily caught eggs, came here, saw that and didn't even have to enter all the new egg codes one at a time. laugh.gif

Might even come up with the energy to go downstairs and make coffee now. laugh.gif

Has there ever been/could there ever be a problem with any egg being maliciously View-bombed using DDF?

I ALWAYS put brand-new eggs in here and they just pick up a few Clicks and U Views as a great start.

With the generally lousy U view rates from not enough people Viewing fansites, I often wish they'd get way more, but even if they did, I don't see how anyone's dragon could possibly get Sick from being added here - probably the safest fansite in the planet, lol.

The odd time I DO forget to take out a dragon I've gifted for a while, but eggs are more noticeable, since we have so few spaces for them, and would what a hatchy picks up here even be noticeable overall?

And since I'm in here every time I add a new egg, and am usually in for another View-All at some point, they tend to get removed at some point that day, along with any who've grown up.

Obviously, I know nothing about running a fansite, but this really wouldn't seem like a major concern to me...

Thank you SO MUCH for the Import All!

Got up feeling dreadful, was cheered up by new, easily caught eggs, came here, saw that and didn't even have to enter all the new egg codes one at a time.  laugh.gif

Might even come up with the energy to go downstairs and make coffee now.  laugh.gif

happy.gif

I'm very happy DDF now has that feature.

Has there ever been/could there ever be a problem with any egg being maliciously View-bombed using DDF?

I've heard of at least one case of eggs being submitted to DDF without the owner's consent, but it seems really rare.

What I can try to do is work on making it so that if you have accepting aid turned off, you need to verify your account-associated scrollname once to be able to add that scrollname's codes to your account (I can make it so you only have to do this once - a benefit of having accounts), and need to verify each time you add codes from a different scroll that has accepting aid turned off. When I requested API access, I did make sure to request it in a way that gave me the option to introduce such a feature. But I don't know if that wouldn't be overkill for a site with such low traffic as DDF; I really don't.

Honestly, I think DDF is not likely to harm eggs that are added there, even if the intent of adding them is to view bomb. wink.gif

I use it for all my eggs and usually add them within an hour or less of picking them up. I like it for that because the views are low and slow and therefore it is very safe for them.

It seems to me that if people use DDF in combination with other hatcheries to view bomb, then it is the other hatcheries, not DDF, that are doing the damage.