pinkgothic

Daily Dragon Fix

Mostly we could really use API access! I guess I should shoot TJ a PM about it (I submitted a request for access twice by now, derrr).

But generally speaking, helping hands are definitely always appreciated. There's not much anyone can destroy on DDF, so I'm always very happy to give out "administrative" privileges. ...do you want to help? biggrin.gif *hopeful glance*

If I could summon together API access for you, I would!

And yes, I'd be happy to help with admin privileges in keeping things clean. I already go through the view all list every day when handling my own eggs/views, can't be much more of a bother! =)

And yes, I'd be happy to help with admin privileges in keeping things clean. I already go through the view all list every day when handling my own eggs/views, can't be much more of a bother! =)

So. Sweet.

xd.png

Thanks for helping out. You are now part of the first post! biggrin.gif

I registered from my laptop but apparently I mistyped my password which prevents me from signing an anywhere else. How do I reset it?

Blast it, I can't recall my password for here - how the heck do I reset it, pretty-please?

Erm, I'm not sure I can do password-y stuff. It might be a job for pinkgothic.

Send her a PM. She's usually not far away.

Sorry! sad.gif

Blast it, I can't recall my password for here - how the heck do I reset it, pretty-please?

I registered from my laptop but apparently I mistyped my password which prevents me from signing an anywhere else. How do I reset it?

I am able to delete your accounts, so you can create them again with a new password, however, I can't reset your current passwords.

You'd lose your total clicks stat. If you're okay with that, send a message. Otherwise contact pinkgothic to reset your password. She SHOULD be able to do that wink.gif

I PMed both of them with new passwords. smile.gif

And thank you, Grendell100 and rendragyn, for your diligence!

I really need to get around to coding a password change form for the site admins. xd.png

This evening the site made me log in again for the first time since I created an account there so I have no idea what my password is! sad.gif

Can it be reset? huh.gif

Thanks.

This evening the site made me log in again for the first time since I created an account there so I have no idea what my password is! sad.gif

Can it be reset? huh.gif

Thanks.

If you're not particularly attached to your login, one of us Mods can delete your login and you can start over. Otherwise, send pinkgothic a PM. She can get to all the code-ish bits and can reset it from there.

Good luck!

Can it be reset? huh.gif

Thanks.

For future reference, if you mention your DDF username, it's easier to help you. biggrin.gif I figured it out and changed your password for you, though. You have a PM~. happy.gif Let me know if it works.

Hi, pinkgothic,

1st, I'd like to say thanks for changing the coding so that entering repeat codes doesn't knock off the others entered with it so the new codes now don't need to be entered again. smile.gif

I recall doing that during times of many Incuhatchable AP eggs, between dashes in and out of ERs, and it was a pain, lol.

2nd, there seems to be something something odd going on you should probably know about.

When I came in today, it appeared as though only 4 hatchies (Misfit, White, Seasonal and a Stripe) and a Howler egg (Pygmy grew up and was removed, btw) were showing on my account, although I could have sworn I'd had 2 other eggs (Tsunami and Opal) and some more hatchies in there when I came in to do my Clicks and Views for today, I think around 5 or 6 AM my time. (One hour behind DC time)

So I entered my new egg (Pyralspite) along with the two eggs I hadn't seen to be told that some of them (the Tsunami and Opal) were indeed already entered in my account, and weren't re-entered, although the Pyralspite was, as I had the notice of entry given, and I believe it was briefly visible at that point.

I then entered 2 Howler hatchies which I was sure had been entered (and, as always, Protected, since I Fog nightly) *as eggs* (I typically enter new dragons here ASAP, and I'm usually in here at LEAST twice on the average day, if only to do a fast View All morning and evening - it would be highly unusual, to say the least, for a dragon I'm keeping not to be immediately entered here, this being my first fansite go-to, although I AM very tired and groggy) and they were accepted as new entries and visibly appeared, (although the Pyralspite egg, I believe, was not showing at that point,) went to give a fast View All and the invisible dragons appeared on my return - but the Clicks I'd given before going to sleep were gone and showed 0.

I figured I'd used them all adding dragons, went to give a fast 50 Clicks, came back to see if my dragons were still showing, and it showed 70 given, (I haz weirdness about liking to round off the numbers here, dun ask me why, and I typically count small numbers of clicks given to wind up at a given number, or I wouldn't have noticed, as when just clicking through a page or all when my hands are good for it, as they aren't right now - which i all that enabled the discrepancy to be noted,) so the left-over Clicks, like my dragons, had been there and not visible.

Had it just been the dragons, I'd wonder if it was something to do with my browser, or with TJ doing coding or something that might affect only certain specific sprites, but the issue with the 'extra clicks' numbers falsely (and briefly) showing 0 as well as this made me think that it was likely something associated with the site itself, so you'd better have a heads-up about it.

Probably a stupid question (I might just have missed the answer by crossreading), but did you already try clearing your browser cache?

Probably a stupid question (I might just have missed the answer by crossreading), but did you already try clearing your browser cache?

Hi, Ruby Eyes, and thanks!

I'd cleaned temp files the previous night, but not first thing in the morning, lol.

Have added eggs since, and just now did Clicks and Viewed All when adding in another dragon; everything's showing right now, and at this hour, my previous Clicks would have turned over, so would be expected to be at 0, so seems all right since then.

Have been having various computer issues, and a bad bout of (apparently mechanical, a stuck key?) weirdness yesterday, although it's been behaving today and there's been nothing like this elsewhere, (and I've been giving Views at 6 other fansites today,) but the combination of first dragons not showing and then everything showing but the Clicks briefly showing at 0 when there were 20 remaining made me wonder if this was site related.

Or is it likely that my computer/browser could make only a counter number appear different while showing everything else?

I suppose they can do anything?

Have been having various computer issues, and a bad bout of (apparently mechanical, a stuck key?) weirdness yesterday, although it's been behaving today and there's been nothing like this elsewhere, (and I've been giving Views at 6 other fansites today,) but the combination of first dragons not showing and then everything showing but the Clicks briefly showing at 0 when there were 20 remaining made me wonder if this was site related.

Or is it likely that my computer/browser could make only a counter number appear different while showing everything else?

I suppose they can do anything?

I'd actually agree with Ruby Eyes, this sounds like a caching issue.

What I can do is put it on my todo list to send better cache headers - 'force' browsers to re-fetch every page, basically, instead of relying on cached pages. There's no real forcing browsers to do that, just heavily suggesting it, since it's up to the browser when to re-fetch content, but it might be able to help. smile.gif

Either way, thanks for mentioning it! It's always good to mention site weirdness when it happens.

I'd actually agree with Ruby Eyes, this sounds like a caching issue.

What I can do is put it on my todo list to send better cache headers - 'force' browsers to re-fetch every page, basically, instead of relying on cached pages. There's no real forcing browsers to do that, just heavily suggesting it, since it's up to the browser when to re-fetch content, but it might be able to help. smile.gif

Either way, thanks for mentioning it! It's always good to mention site weirdness when it happens.

Thanks, pinkgothic!

I know nothing about this stuff and had thought that happened when the cache was overfull, didn't realize it was a common occurrence, lol.

I can see that it would be faster to save previous images, but it doesn't sound very practical, because then the user doesn't know if they're seeing what's there; speaking from an entirely ignorant viewpoint, it sounds like a design flaw to me, but what do I know? lol.

And it appears to work almost all of the time, as far as I can tell, having no idea how often I just never find out. unsure.gif

Makes me wonder how much fansite Viewing is wasted as a result...

I suppose all browsers do this, so it must matter, though...

It hasn't happened since, that I've noticed, and haven't noticed it before, but then again, I only noticed by a fluke this time.

But yeah, (and thankYOU!) I figured that if it had been something to do with the site, it might have worsened, if you hadn't known. smile.gif

This is also one of the fansites I'd most hate to see go down for any reason!

Not exactly a design flaw in general.

Caching of pages and images from the web was introduced back then when sites were rather static and bandwidth was precious. Many websites are still static, or at least use the same images over and over again, so caching still saves bandwidth and thus energy.

Sometimes, your browser does not notice when an image or a site has changed. That's when you get old cache data instead of fresh stuff.

Please, always double-check the codes you add on the site. There's a lot of invalid dragon codes lately. If you can't see an image of your egg/hatchling (as shown in the image below), you've most likely entered a non-existing dragon.

user posted image

Please, always double-check the codes you add on the site. There's a lot of invalid dragon codes lately. If you can't see an image of your egg/hatchling (as shown in the image below), you've most likely entered a non-existing dragon.

user posted image

Thanks for the infographic, Grendell100. smile.gif

(I've noticed the trend but I didn't think to post about it. Thanks for your post!)

I'm having a small issue with the site. So I bred some eggs that I wanted to add to my account. When I went to at first (having forgotten the site was open in a tab), I was prompted to sign in again. Once I did, I went to update my eggs, only to be told that 'Some of your dragon codes (code removed) are currently already listed under another account and were not added to yours.' Thing is, I just bred these, no views or anything. Talk about weird. O.o

I'll sleep on it and see if it cooperates more in the morning.

I'm having a small issue with the site. So I bred some eggs that I wanted to add to my account. When I went to at first (having forgotten the site was open in a tab), I was prompted to sign in again. Once I did, I went to update my eggs, only to be told that 'Some of your dragon codes (code removed) are currently already listed under another account and were not added to yours.' Thing is, I just bred these, no views or anything. Talk about weird. O.o

I'll sleep on it and see if it cooperates more in the morning.

Hi there AngelicSabyne,

It was possibly to do with you having DDF open in two tabs.

I was just about to post that there are several eggs that have managed to get "unlinked" from your DDF login that I was about to remove, in the hope that you would check the thread, but you've already posted (yay!) I shall remove the codes from DDF and you should then be able to add them again as normal.

**pinkgothic and fellow DDF mods, I have also sent AngelicSabyne this same info via a PM, so I think/hope everything is fixed and ok now**

~rendragyn