pinkgothic

Daily Dragon Fix

Marking for deletion (clicking the red X) doesn't count as a view because it does not load the dragon's page. If you keep an eye on the bottom of "view all", when you click it for a dragon you get a little message thanking you for helping keep the hatchery clean. The idea of counting clicks is to count how many clicks-the-stat you doled out to Dragon Cave dragons, so counting dragons you didn't actually look at (generally because you couldn't/it wouldn't count) would be counterproductive!

Also, from the bottom of my heart, thank you for marking for deletion. It makes my dryvaccing about a bazillion times easier and more efficient when people have already propped little "CAUTION: WET" signs on the puddles. wink.gif

Thank you for posting the FAQ, pinkgothic! I'll try to remember to put questions that get asked frequently in this thread in there as they come up.

Edited by Wobblegong

Can we get a cleaner count then? biggrin.gif

So, I did a "frozen" count, and you were right: only 8 of them on the site biggrin.gif Only 1 of them (pOrDY) hatched 11 days ago, the others are younger.

Edited by Ruby Eyes

Marking for deletion (clicking the red X) doesn't count as a view because it does not load the dragon's page. If you keep an eye on the bottom of "view all", when you click it for a dragon you get a little message thanking you for helping keep the hatchery clean. The idea of counting clicks is to count how many clicks-the-stat you doled out to Dragon Cave dragons, so counting dragons you didn't actually look at (generally because you couldn't/it wouldn't count) would be counterproductive!

Also, from the bottom of my heart, thank you for marking for deletion. It makes my dryvaccing about a bazillion times easier and more efficient when people have already propped little "CAUTION: WET" signs on the puddles. wink.gif

Thank you for posting the FAQ, pinkgothic! I'll try to remember to put questions that get asked frequently in this thread in there as they come up.

It has never bothered me that marking didn't count toward my clicks. It totally makes sense to me. And I am always glad to help keep things cleaned up. I always try to keep my own listing as clean as possible, and I am sure most users do, but dragons do grow up between my visits. wink.gif

My clickfinger thinks differently about this wink.gif

There is another thing that bugs me:

So we have clicks, e.g. "1380 / 20 today"

And we have Extra clicks, e.g. "1360"

When I spend some on protecting my dragons, shouldn't those be deducted only from the Extra clicks - as in, the remaining clicks I can spend?

I mean, I have a counter "Clicks since registration", but apparently I don't have "Clicks done today" anymore as soon as I choose to spend any.

The way it is now, it doesn't make much sense to have "clicks" and "extra clicks" since the difference between those will always be 20, no matter what you do, click or spend. I'm not sure if I described my issue properly ...

Neither of those things are changing. The 'extra clicks' is meant to be a visual help, not a separate counter. I could rename that to 'of those, extra clicks' for clarity if you like, but the mechanic isn't going away. smile.gif

Just to mention, I thought terming these 'Extra' clicks made sense, because we need 20 clicks to keep our dragons in and the rest are, well, extra, lol.

Was wondering, though, if anyone else had had dragons which had been added late at night, prior to 3 AM and when the day's clicks were still available for Protection, disappear and have to be re-added and Protected the next day?

Not a biggie, but while it's always possible that I'm mistaken, (something I have a lot of practice at, lol,) I traded two dragons for 3 last night and went around removing the traded dragons from, and entering the new ones into, several sites.

Perhaps I somehow failed to actually enter the Protection (which I was sure I'd checked off and clicked in the box after entry) and, being pretty tired, missed seeing the lack of green boxes when I went back in to check that it'd gone through and since I came here right after unFogging them, utterly not a big deal in my case, but it might be one for someone lacking the opportunity to get back here first thing, while waiting for coffeeeeeee to run through.

Or perhaps this problem is related to the sporadically horribly lag which was so bad (at least for me) yesterday?

But I'm often up at 4-5 AM and generally do my clicks then, after the previous day's clicks have zeroed out, and have had issues in the past with those early morning clicks having disappeared by the next day, so if late-night actions might disappear from the site, this potentially could be an issue with other insomniacs and people in different time zones generally, even if it's not something not generally considered worth mentioning, so I thought perhaps I'd better.

We do count on DDF to help get better ratios on our numbers and very much appreciate the site, so missing those DDF clicks even for a day can make a difference to our dragons.

I am honestly not sure. I should probably set the site up so it sends me an e-mail the next time it does a scrub so I can see if there is a deviation from emmilely's advertised time or not. The code should be server-time neutral (I think I might have said that before, sorry for the repeat!), but should does not mean is.

I've been religiously checking my own codes to make sure they're not disappearing, because I know some people seem to have issues with theirs doing so, but mine have stayed in each night I've clicked, so far, so I haven't run into issues yet. Not that you can prove a negative, of course, but I figured I'd mention it. smile.gif

Generally, I assume that if issues are reported, they objectively exist, the trouble is just getting them to appear in a way that is reproducible, so I can find and fix the bug. laugh.gif Sadly, no luck there yet.

I'll put in the thing with the notification now, so we at least know when the scrub happens.

Edit: Done. I guess we'll know in a few hours. happy.gif (While I was at it, I put in the "of those," before the "extra clicks" label.)

Edited by pinkgothic

Hey, this one could have been me, very tired these days, and I do have cursor problems, part of the reason I double-check such things, especially as sometimes things start to go through and then don't, and things caused by the cursor doing weird things do occur on a delayed basis which I often don't notice until much later, if at all.

(Delayed blue-outs, often in areas well out of visual range, seem to have been what took huge chunks of information, including multiple entire gifting lists from DC, off various pages in my drafts, for example - had that happen a number of times before I realized what had happened, through scrolling up/down to find blued-out/vanished sections further up the page, as well as having info turn blue and vanish before my eyes, when I'd only been trying to fix a typo/add something in, etc. - it seems the cursor randomly flying off periodically happened earlier and oftener than I'd realized before it became almost the norm, as now; I suspect that it just used to dodge off and return to the original position immediately afterward, so I didn't realize.)

So I know that I put the dragons in, clicked on Protect for both and went back to check, but if the clicks didn't go through and I somehow missed that due to a wave of tired moving in - especially if nobody else putting dragons in at that hour had this occur, that being why I asked on the thread - this one could just be me, and those fogged dragons removed because the Protection didn't go on due to my foul-up.

But because, in the past, I've had clicks disappear as well, I thought I'd mention, because I'm not the only night owl (or person in a different time zone) hunting/breeding/entering dragons into fansites at that time or the only one to have this happen, and it seemed to me perhaps as though a double change-over? or possibly data within a specific, very early morning period simply dropping out/not 'sticking'? (puter illiterate guessing wildly, lol) occurred at those times?

This seems to be more a periodic occurrence, certainly not chronic, (can't recall if lag was present at the time of these? could that cause such issues?) but if you can just check time on an email, (or two, I suppose, if it should sometimes be a double change?) thanks so very much, and at least that's not a big hassle for you to check on, and it certainly would be good to know if that's still occurring.

These days, my dragons are Fogged while I sleep/can't check them, so this is not a biggie for me, but the dragons of others are not and we're all counting on the benefits of this unique site, for which we're extremely grateful.

@Syphoneira:

All right, I got the e-mail at 10:00 my time, which is currently UTC+2. smile.gif That means the rollover is still happening at 03:00 UTC-5.

Clicks vanishing is one thing that should never happen, though, except during the rollover - that's literally the only part of the site that removes clicks.

I'll keep an eye on those e-mails for a while and see if I notice anything odd. It's certainly conceivable that it would happen later - it does require someone actually opening the index.php around that time before the rollover is triggered, so if no one goes to the index.php between, say, 02:59 and 05:00 UTC-5, then the rollover would happen at 05:00 UTC-5.

I can, though, change that to be entirely time-based if it turns out to be a problem; I'll keep an eye on it. smile.gif

@Mistshine:

Congratulations! biggrin.gif

Edited by pinkgothic

Wow, 1 day of no clicking and I have to enter everything again. Not even "protecting" them saved me over that 1 day.

I think I'll stick with the hatcheries with less manual work.

Protecting is against user markings, not against the rollover... and the rollover is the entire idea behind DDF, though - gotta click to stay in. smile.gif If you're not willing to be active on a daily basis (hence the name), then (currently, at least*) your codes are removed.

* there were a lot of musings in the old thread about a sort of 'click ahead' option that I'm still fiddling with the mechanics of, but would like to see (and thus implement).

I don't suppose some type of (perhaps optional?) auto-add feature can be added to the site? I really like using it, but adding a mass of new codes whenever I go on a hunting spree (or whenever I'm out of town for the day) can be a real pain. If you're worried people will stop clicking if they know they can just add everything quickly again the next day, perhaps eggs could be punted out of the hatchery if, five hours after they've been added, the owner still hasn't hit the 20 click mark? Most people will click right away if they're going to click at all, I imagine, so it should only punish add-and-run people.

It's not that I'm worried about that (though thanks for bringing it up because it's certainly something to think about), it's that API-integration is at the bottom of my @todo list, sadly, since the site has none of that right now. sad.gif

Currently DDF is not letting me login, it says my password is wrong but I haven't changed it. Is anyone else get bounced?

Edited by Jett

Currently DDF is not letting me login, it says my password is wrong but I haven't changed it. Is anyone else get bounced?

Same here. I've tried switching everything around and it still won't let me in.

Unfortunately it's also working for me in all browsers I've checked. sad.gif *shakes fist at non-reproducible problems that I have no idea how to fix*

There does seem to have been an issue with the logout link, though, which I fixed. (From the looks of things, this again was just because I forgot to upload the most recent version >_< I need to stop doing that; or start dropping the whole folder onto the server.) Could you logout and/or clear your cookies for the site and try logging in again then? Let me know if that helps any; if it does I still don't have an explanation, but at least an area I can poke at smile.gif

I can't log out as it won't let me login.

I've cleared both cache and cookies and still gives me incorrect pw message and bounce page shows up.

Can you just kill the DDF account for this username and see if it might let me recreate a new login?

Can you just kill the DDF account for this username and see if it might let me recreate a new login?

I can, and done smile.gif

Protecting is against user markings, not against the rollover... and the rollover is the entire idea behind DDF, though - gotta click to stay in. smile.gif If you're not willing to be active on a daily basis (hence the name), then (currently, at least*) your codes are removed.

* there were a lot of musings in the old thread about a sort of 'click ahead' option that I'm still fiddling with the mechanics of, but would like to see (and thus implement).

Oooooo, a click-ahead option would be super!

I may have to bring my spandy-new puter back into where I bought it and leave it in for however long.

Since I was twice unable - within several days of purchase, while the puter I'd paid extra for their techs to set up properly weirded out - to get even a call-back from a tech there, after also having paid for 2 years of service insurance from them, I can just imagine how long that'll take.

I have a Trojan downloader (either inactive or self-concealed from most scans) in a specific location identified by a Kaspersky free scan which is missed by scans which actually remove these things, which may or may not be causing the problems I had, but is, in any event, also supposed to be covered by this insurance, but only if I pack it back up and bring it in (by cab) across town - no housecalls...

Luckily I found out about their being too cheap to have enough techs on to provide paid-for servicing right away, before I'd gone back to buy some household appliances there at an upcoming sale, but doing without a computer sucks and means my dragons might not be in DDF for days...

Obviously this option, if implemented, wouldn't be in time for this, but it would be nice if it was in the future, since people do go camping/on vacation for the weekend or week and since actual customer service seems to have vanished, along with a living wage and the concept of democracy.

*shakes cane*

Would just like to mention that there have been times in the past when the API has had problems, and the only fansites to function properly were those not tied in with the API in the manner most were, so that having some places not integrated with the API left us with a few eggs in a different basket, so to speak, and which allowed us to carry on...

pinkgothic, would like to add heartfelt thanks for not only your hard work and dedication, and the unique service you provide/maintain, but for the attention you pay to people's concerns and problems with the site, and the unfailingly prompt, courteous and constructive manner in which you do this.

You rock!

Oooooo, a click-ahead option would be super!

I made the mistake of restarting an RP setting I run so I'm in a bit of a development lull for the site at the moment, but I still quite desperately want to get this done. I just need a weekend where I can actually breathe. laugh.gif(At the current rate of play, I need weekends for my weekends! @_@ Five sessions each weekend, each over several hours. Forwhy! (Because it's fun. That's why.))

Would just like to mention that there have been times in the past when the API has had problems, and the only fansites to function properly were those not tied in with the API in the manner most were, so that having some places not integrated with the API left us with a few eggs in a different basket, so to speak, and which allowed us to carry on...

Aye, which is why it would be very important for me that the site can function without it even if I do integrate it. That being said, it has been stable for... what now? Is it years? I'm not very good at timespans. laugh.gif

pinkgothic, would like to add heartfelt thanks for not only your hard work and dedication, and the unique service you provide/maintain, but for the attention you pay to people's concerns and problems with the site, and the unfailingly prompt, courteous and constructive manner in which you do this.

You rock!

Thank you! It's still emmilely's site in spirit, though, so all praise about the unique service definitely ought to be to her.

And 'prompt'... ahahaha, totally not prompt enough. Not while RP is rebooting (and/or visitors are over, as four to two weeks ago xd.png). But I hope to improve. smile.gif

Temporary downtime, sorry. Network issues with the host, but they've fixed the underlying issue. Now the machine just needs to boot back up smile.gif

Sorry for the double-post, just figure this deserves a new post marker for those who saw my prior message. Server is back up. Sorry for the inconvenience!

I made the mistake of restarting an RP setting I run so I'm in a bit of a development lull for the site at the moment, but I still quite desperately want to get this done. I just need a weekend where I can actually breathe. laugh.gif(At the current rate of play, I need weekends for my weekends! @_@ Five sessions each weekend, each over several hours. Forwhy! (Because it's fun. That's why.))

Aye, which is why it would be very important for me that the site can function without it even if I do integrate it. That being said, it has been stable for... what now? Is it years? I'm not very good at timespans. laugh.gif

Thank you! It's still emmilely's site in spirit, though, so all praise about the unique service definitely ought to be to her.

And 'prompt'... ahahaha, totally not prompt enough. Not while RP is rebooting (and/or visitors are over, as four to two weeks ago xd.png). But I hope to improve. smile.gif

Damn, you mean you have a life outside of DC?

Stop it at once! xd.png

(Weird, when I first clicked the smiley, I got a whole 'new tab' page - maybe it's a sign?)

That's the thing, there's probably never been any site more stable than DDF.

If I recall correct correctly, at one point, DDF was one of maybe ?2 or 3-ish? fansites still going?

Back with all of the AP troubles, with the changeover, I think it was, back when.

Lol, on the other hand, didn't even notice the minutes that DDF was down due to issues the host had; it was open every time I came in.

Yes, emmilely's brainchild, that would not be running if not for you, so thanks to all both of you, lol.

Gee, should we allow you to have visitors or recreation?

Let me think on that one.

You know, if you work yourself to death, you'd be letting the site down...

So, strictly for our sake, as much as we appreciate your dedication, don't do it?